Chase Sapphire Reserve - Fees Waived?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
ImmigrantSaver

Re: Chase Sapphire Reserve - Fees Waived?

Post by ImmigrantSaver » Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:35 pm

EddyB wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:56 am
BeneIRA wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:17 pm

Then we take the point Jags made that most travel can be had at a discount. Uber is constantly 10% off, Southwest is constantly 10% off, Hotels.com is 15% off or more, there are usually Amex offers to lower the cost of travel, so, I value the travel credit conservatively at $270 as opposed to $300.
I don’t think this makes sense. The $300 travel credit is against the amount actually paid, not a hypothetical undiscounted cost. So if the “constant” Southwest discount less you pay $300 for a $333.33 flight, the credit kicks in in full. How is that not worth $300? It isn’t limited to travel booked through the UR site or some other artificial price.
I agree. With discounted uber rides or hotels.com nights, your $300 credit will just go a longer way :moneybag

UnLearnYourself

Post by UnLearnYourself » Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:31 pm

rich126 wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:06 pm
The CSR hasn't exactly been a profit maker for Chase so it is pretty unlikely that they would waive fees or even give any kind of retention bonus. After the easy $300 credit it only is a $150 fee with some generous travel reimbursement benefits, good points earnings and nice partners and/or 1.5 cent point transfers.

Not surprising they aren't offering much of anything.
I have the Chase Sapphire Preferred, which has a $95 fee. Taking the $300 credit into consideration, leaving a net fee of $150...can anybody speak to the added values of this card that may easily justify the additional $55 in fees?

Do people who hold the Reserve feel it pays for itself for an average spender who will typically take 1 substantial vacation each year plus a few long weekend trips?

mervinj7

Post by mervinj7 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:01 pm

UnLearnYourself wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:31 pm
I have the Chase Sapphire Preferred, which has a $95 fee. Taking the $300 credit into consideration, leaving a net fee of $150...can anybody speak to the added values of this card that may easily justify the additional $55 in fees?

Do people who hold the Reserve feel it pays for itself for an average spender who will typically take 1 substantial vacation each year plus a few long weekend trips?
There are two big differences for me. 3x vs 2x for Travel/Dining. Plus you get a 50% bonus (instead of 25%) on redemption of Ultimate Reward Points. For me, that's a minimum 4.5% return on travel and dining. I'm not sure what an average spender is but let's assume $10k/year in Travel/Dining. With the CSR, one earns $450 in UR points. With the CSP, one earns $250. Other folks try to maximize the UR points value further by transferring to travel partners but I no longer do the extra legwork.

https://thepointsguy.com/guide/redeemin ... mum-value/

Other minor benefits are Priority Pass club access and Global Entry fee refund ($95). I take advantage of both.

EddyB

Post by EddyB » Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:40 pm

mervinj7 wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:01 pm
UnLearnYourself wrote:

There are two big differences for me. 3x vs 2x for Travel/Dining. Plus you get a 50% bonus (instead of 25%) on redemption of Ultimate Reward Points. For me, that's a minimum 4.5% return on travel and dining. I'm not sure what an average spender is but let's assume $10k/year in Travel/Dining. With the CSR, one earns $450 in UR points. With the CSP, one earns $250. Other folks try to maximize the UR points value further by transferring to travel partners but I no longer do the extra legwork.

https://thepointsguy.com/guide/redeemin ... mum-value/

Other minor benefits are Priority Pass club access and Global Entry fee refund ($95). I take advantage of both.
If you regularly fly through one of the airports where the Priority Pass gets you a $28 (I think) credit at some in-terminal restaurants (twice that if you have a guest), it's pretty easy to get a lot of value out of that benefit (to the extent free airport food can really be considered value).

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:51 am

UnLearnYourself wrote:

I had the CSP, have the CIP, and want to get the CSR.
CSR is better than CSP in that it gives 3x for travel instead of 2x.
CSR is better than CIP in that it covers dining.

Also, CSR provides better travel insurance and access to Priority lounges at airports.

Some of these additional benefits are not easy to quantify, because it's hard to predict trip problems or delays that warrant a lounge access. But I like the simplicity of using the CSR for most of my expenses. I also like to get URs when I can.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)