Any NJ lawyers or former heirs out there?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Godot

Any NJ lawyers or former heirs out there?

Post by Godot » Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:37 pm

Any NJ lawyers or former heirs out there? Administrator is wrapping up an intestate will and claimed (back in June) that it would take until the end of the year to get a Division of Taxation audit and acceptance letter before distribution of assets can begin. This seems like an excessive amount of time to me, but it is New Jersey. Anyone have recent experience with this in New Jersey? TIA.
Estragon: I can't go on like this. | Vladimir: That's what you think. | ― Samuel Beckett, Waiting for Godot

bac

Re: Any NJ lawyers or former heirs out there?

Post by bac » Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:35 pm

Ex-executor here. I can provide a data point involving the New Jersey estate tax (which has been repealed): I received a notice of acceptance and waivers on August 29, 2017, for a return dated March 23, 2017.

So, it took slightly more than five months. I had been warned to expect six months.

I assume you're dealing with an estate subject to the inheritance tax, which to my great annoyance is still in effect. One would think that the Division of Taxation, freed of estate tax returns for deaths in 2018 and beyond, would be flying through inheritance tax returns, but, hey, it's New Jersey, as you say.

Topic Author
Godot

Post by Godot » Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:07 pm

Ah, okay, thanks. Yes, there is inheritance tax. Five months, if not absurd, is palatable. The administrator is claiming that because of budget cuts it could be a long long time before he gets notice of acceptance and waivers. It's been six months.
Estragon: I can't go on like this. | Vladimir: That's what you think. | ― Samuel Beckett, Waiting for Godot

TnGuy

Post by TnGuy » Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:16 am

I administered my father's estate (in NJ) a few years back. It took approximately one year to complete before final distribution. We were able to do a partial distribution prior, though.

David
"Money will not make you happy. And happy will not make you money." - Groucho Marx

FoolStreet

Post by FoolStreet » Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:53 am

Godot wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:37 pm
Any NJ lawyers or former heirs out there? Administrator is wrapping up an intestate will and claimed (back in June) that it would take until the end of the year to get a Division of Taxation audit and acceptance letter before distribution of assets can begin. This seems like an excessive amount of time to me, but it is New Jersey. Anyone have recent experience with this in New Jersey? TIA.
My sincere sympathies for your loss.

Topic Author
Godot

Post by Godot » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:38 pm

TnGuy wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:16 am
I administered my father's estate (in NJ) a few years back. It took approximately one year to complete before final distribution. We were able to do a partial distribution prior, though.

David
That sounds reasonable. Thanks.