WSJ Digital Subscription - a bargain!

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
jhfenton

Re: WSJ Digital Subscription - a bargain!

Post by jhfenton » Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:11 pm

DanMahowny wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:11 pm
I don't subscribe to any newspapers.

But my neighbor does. And I wake up earlier than him.
If you stole my iPad to read my newspaper, I would be rather upset.

NextMil

Post by NextMil » Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:14 pm

It saddens me that people do not pay for a paper anymore, and I hope more go behind the paywall. If the industry isn't supported by a market, we will continue into the zero attention span culture and critical thinking will continue to decrease into soundbites and 140 character news. This is not a political statement in any way shape or form.

I spend the cash every year on WSJ, and a number of long reporting publications, as well as books. I want a deal just like the next guy, but think about your impact of not supporting serious publications.

angelescrest

Post by angelescrest » Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:52 pm

jhfenton wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:56 am
angelescrest wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:32 am
brew wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:52 pm
I apologize if this is common knowledge here, but I just found out a few months ago that the Washington Post gives free access for anyone who verifies with .gov, .mil, or .edu email addresses. Hope that helps someone else.
How’s that? I haven’t seen this, and have only seen links or email about their academic rate. The academic rate is $5 per every four weeks.
https://subscribe.washingtonpost.com/acqlite/edu-offer/

Maybe .gov is different?
The Washington Post ended their free .gov, .mil, .edu program a few months ago. I'm now on a special for Prime members through Amazon: a free six-month subscription that will renew at $3.99/month after six months.

I pay $4.00/month directly to the WSJ on educational pricing.
I never saw it, and I have followed them closely. Oh well, they need to make money somehow.

bondsr4me

Post by bondsr4me » Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:03 pm

NextMil wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:14 pm
It saddens me that people do not pay for a paper anymore, and I hope more go behind the paywall. If the industry isn't supported by a market, we will continue into the zero attention span culture and critical thinking will continue to decrease into soundbites and 140 character news. This is not a political statement in any way shape or form.

I spend the cash every year on WSJ, and a number of long reporting publications, as well as books. I want a deal just like the next guy, but think about your impact of not supporting serious publications.
I am as guilty as anyone when it comes to looking for a bargain.
But, I agree with your post.
The WSJ is a very good publication and I read the free pdf version.
I would prefer to have an electronic version and may end up getting one.
As with anything in life, you only get what you are willing to pay for.

Don

Incendiary

Post by Incendiary » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:00 pm

bondsr4me wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:49 am
obgraham wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:08 pm
bondsr4me wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:56 pm
I just checked the dailysubscription website. It shows 2 years of digital access to the WSJ for $139.99.
Has anyone recently used this or is it a scam?
Well I tried it a year or so back. I was never able to get it to work. Finally had to get refund via credit card, as that outfit is pretty nonresponsive. So IMHO = scam.

Thanks for the heads up....won’t bother with it....I will continue using the free pdf paper.

Have a good week,

Don
I've used them. I would recommend.

bondsr4me

Post by bondsr4me » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:47 pm

Incendiary wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:00 pm
bondsr4me wrote:
obgraham wrote:
bondsr4me wrote:
I just checked the dailysubscription website. It shows 2 years of digital access to the WSJ for $139.99.
Well I tried it a year or so back. I was never able to get it to work. Finally had to get refund via credit card, as that outfit is pretty nonresponsive. So IMHO = scam.

Thanks for the heads up....won’t bother with it....I will continue using the free pdf paper.

Have a good week,

Don
Thanks. I appreciate hearing that. I may go ahead and get the 2 years for $139.99.

BigOldBear

Post by BigOldBear » Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:02 pm

Having recently retired, I have more time available for reading but still a bit frugal about it. I do subscribe to the online version of our local paper, gave up the physical delivery a while back. Since I got an iPad for Christmas, I have been exploring a number of different publications online. One real bargain is that our local library provides electronic access to many magazines for free. There is way more than I can keep up with, but I find it nice to quickly scan for articles of interest in a few magazines of I have subscribed to before. I encourage people to check out what’s available online through your local library.

wassabi

Post by wassabi » Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:13 pm

I have been using the WSJ as my primary source of news for the past six months and am 100% satisfied. Worth every penny.

UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy » Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:00 pm

I understand the need for reliable news sources in this country. But here's the problem. I don't want to be limited to just one news publication. I want to pick and choose selected articles from a variety of publications (New York Times, Washington Post, Wall Street Journal, and others). If the major newspapers would get together and offer a combined service where I could read x number of articles a day or y number of articles a month for a decent combined monthly subscription fee, I'd jump on it. What I'm not going to do is give my money to one newspaper for a digital subscription, and I certainly can't afford to subscribe to multiple news publications simultaneously.

NextMil

Post by NextMil » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:43 pm

What you are describing would be basically impossible from a publication perspective, unless you are suggesting they go to cable tv model.

For a newspaper, I picked the one that I think is least biased (other than opinion pages), and frankly they all carry virtually all the same stories.

UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:40 pm

I was thinking more along the lines of the Apple News model, but with the reader being able to choose specific articles to read from a list of available articles.

Incendiary

Post by Incendiary » Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:55 pm

bondsr4me wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:47 pm
Incendiary wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:00 pm
bondsr4me wrote:
obgraham wrote:
bondsr4me wrote:

Have a good week,

Don
Thanks. I appreciate hearing that. I may go ahead and get the 2 years for $139.99.
My multi year subscription ended after one year. I emailed them and they gave me another that worked.

DanMahowny

Post by DanMahowny » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:58 am

Journalism does not exist anymore.

It's all just media.
Funding secured

bondsr4me

Post by bondsr4me » Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:47 am

DanMahowny wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:58 am

It's all just media.
I have to agree with you.

NextMil

Post by NextMil » Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:11 pm

bondsr4me wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:47 am
DanMahowny wrote:

It's all just media.
I have to agree with you.
You just aren’t looking for it or paying for it. Plenty of it out there.

StrangePenguin

Post by StrangePenguin » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:07 pm

jhfenton wrote:

The Washington Post ended their free .gov, .mil, .edu program a few months ago. I'm now on a special for Prime members through Amazon: a free six-month subscription that will renew at $3.99/month after six months.

Did the Post end their special for Prime members recently?
My normal 1 year subscription was expiring, so I purposely let it lapse with the hopes of getting the Prime price. But now all I see is $100/year or $9.99/month. If I have to pay the normal price I will, but I swear I saw the discount advertised just a month or so ago.

dustinst22

Post by dustinst22 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:23 am

I pay for WSJ digital, as I'm a believer that you get what you pay for. I find WSJ to be a good objective news source and fairly moderate. Someone mentioned not wanting to rely on one news source, but doesn't want to pay for many. Well, paying for one good source is better than not paying for any, otherwise you get garbage news imo. Any news source that relies heavily on advertising revenue and hence uses click bait for monetization is not going to be very high quality content.

jhfenton

Post by jhfenton » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:31 am

StrangePenguin wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:07 pm
jhfenton wrote:

My normal 1 year subscription was expiring, so I purposely let it lapse with the hopes of getting the Prime price. But now all I see is $100/year or $9.99/month. If I have to pay the normal price I will, but I swear I saw the discount advertised just a month or so ago.
They must have. If I go into my active subscription it is still $3.99/month, but if I click on the title "Washington Post Digital Access" and go to the offer page, it shows $100/year or $9.99/month.

Glockenspiel

Post by Glockenspiel » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:52 am

DanMahowny wrote:

It's all just media.
I wholeheartedly disagree. The investigative reporting occurring from some of the major newspapers (as well as my local newspaper), has been fantastic the past few years. In fact, my local smallish town paper essentially uncovered that our school district's superintendent was swindling money from the school. Without the hard work and investigative reporting they did, this would not have been uncovered and he would have gotten away scot-free.

StrangePenguin

Post by StrangePenguin » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:27 pm

jhfenton wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:31 am
StrangePenguin wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:07 pm
jhfenton wrote:

They must have. If I go into my active subscription it is still $3.99/month, but if I click on the title "Washington Post Digital Access" and go to the offer page, it shows $100/year or $9.99/month.
Thanks for the reply. Oh well, I'll have to pay full price :oops:

Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP » Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:01 pm

Rob5TCP wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:55 pm
Incendiary wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:52 pm
Incendiary wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:06 am
I haven't. Still works. Looks like it's hit or miss.
My subscription to the wsj just stopped working. Drat.
So far, mine is still working. Almost 6 months.
Well it stopped today -- after calling WSJ support - it seems my subscription was
a complintary one and it ended 2 weeks ago. No money was ever sent to WSJ.
While I still got a decent bargain - this is quite sleazy. The company dailysubscription.com
is out of business and is probably back under another name.

I am waiting to see if the office can help me with this - but I doubt it.
As expected the office could not do anything. He did offer me a couple of extra months on this

Incendiary

Post by Incendiary » Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:28 am

Rob5TCP wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:01 pm
Rob5TCP wrote:
Incendiary wrote:
Incendiary wrote:
Well it stopped today -- after calling WSJ support - it seems my subscription was
While I still got a decent bargain - this is quite sleazy. The company dailysubscription.com

As expected the office could not do anything. He did offer me a couple of extra months on this
Sorry to hear. They're out of business? I hope my subscription lasts then... So far still kicking. *Knocks on wood*

Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP » Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:40 am

Incendiary wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:28 am
Rob5TCP wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:01 pm
Rob5TCP wrote:
Incendiary wrote:
Incendiary wrote:

Sorry to hear. They're out of business? I hope my subscription lasts then... So far still kicking. *Knocks on wood*
The office did offer me a lower price to renew my subscription (but still quite high).
All these off price for the WSJ are sleazy. Apparently they buy complinmentary subscriptions from people that won't use them (for a low price); then sell them to us. Eventually these are caught and the subscription is cancelled. I received two years out of four and it ended up ok. But only after it was cancelled did I find the name of the subscription was not originally mine and they just changed the name to mine. The companies that do this stay in business for a time and then close when they don't have other free subscriptions to sell to people or too many people have cancelled ones.

The WSJ subscription was nice to have but not at the rates they currently ask.

TimeRunner

Post by TimeRunner » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:10 am

Someone on BH forum posted their positive experience with Great American School Store http://gaschoolstore.com . You find a local school, name that as the organization to whom GS School Store will make a small donation based on your purchase, and then shop for your subscription. You can even renew an existing subscription purchased elsewhere. It seems legit. We've renewed WSJ twice, and New Yorker mag once. Last WSJ renewal was $198 for 305 issues, print and digital. Some portion of that went to local middle school. Renewals went without a hitch - they seem to know what they are doing. More expensive than ebay, but not fly-by-night. Of course, YMMV.
One cannot enlighten the unconscious.

squirm

Post by squirm » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:44 am

I like print. I also noticed wsj is "limiting" comments now.
One of our kid gets the journal but never reads it, so it cost like $10 a month through her school.

JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL » Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:01 pm

Does anyone know of a way to either get the free "PDF" WSJ version or another way to get a WSJ digital subscription at a reasonable rate (both of these options were previously posted)? The links that were posted a couple years ago are not working apparently. The regular Dow Jones rates seem quite high and the local library does not carry the newspaper.

Thank you in advance. :)

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:00 pm

There are scads of 5 year digital subscriptions available on ebay for less than $50.

I have subscribed via ebay twice, and both times I received my WSJ in the format I had purchased.

I just might try one of the 5 year digital subscriptions myself.

I seldom use ebay, but honestly I have never been burned. There is always the possibility of the first time, though.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL » Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:45 pm

Thanks, Broken Man 1999.

I didn’t realize that any subscriptions were sold on Ebay. I will definitely check this out!

:)

megabad

Post by megabad » Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:53 pm

Thanks for posting. I would actually say that compared to other newspaper websites, WSJ is better than average but still not perfect from an objective functionality only standpoint. Other websites are completely unusuable due to the targeted ads for me (ie USA today, NYT etc). I have always preferred print media, though I think it is cutthroat now and a paper needs to have very high quality content to survive (and unfortunately most do not). I will not pay for breaking news, but I will for high quality analytical journalism. Breaking news is all over the internet and TV for free. I am still looking for the perfect value physical paper. WSJ is actually too frequent for me but I haven't found a perfect home yet. I like the FT but it is a little too focused on the international side (since it is foreign) and it is ridiculously overpriced. I would prefer a local option, but USA today owns all of them here so they just recycle USA today content.

JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL » Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:24 pm

Thanks, Megabad.

I find the overall quality of journalism in the WSJ is quite strong. As you pointed out, I also find the advertising on many news sites very distracting, but I understand the industry forces and need to generate revenue. However, consumers have choices in terms of where we spend our “digital time budget” and I’m trying to be more discriminating.

Some news sites will allow you a limited number of free stories before the pay wall appears but WSJ isn’t one of them in my experience (similar to the Washington Post and others). The FT is also good but expensive and more ex-US centric as you noted.

I also enjoy a print newspaper but it seems I tend to read more online every year.

schmoglehead

Post by schmoglehead » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:05 am

I just received this offer from a the website www.wsjoffer.com:

The Wall Street Journal 2 Years Digital Subscription only for $139.99
PLUS, a 10% OFF discount code for you: VRC10OFF

Does anyone know if site is legit?
Thanks.

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:07 am

squirm wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:44 am
One of our kid gets the journal but never reads it, so it cost like $10 a month through her school.
I am still reading the print and enjoy it. I wonder how much longer it will be in print.

I think it could actually be slimmed down even more. Eliminate a lot of the arts, sports, style, etc.

To think back of the days when it was three sections, smaller print, and larger paper! How did we ever read it all?
John C. Bogle - Two Fund Portfolio: Total Stock & Total Bond. "Simplicity is the master key to financial success."

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:08 am

schmoglehead wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:05 am
I just received this offer from a the website www.wsjoffer.com:

The Wall Street Journal 2 Years Digital Subscription only for $139.99
PLUS, a 10% OFF discount code for you: VRC10OFF

Does anyone know if site is legit?
Thanks.
Good question. I too have always been hesitant and ordered from the WSJ directly.
John C. Bogle - Two Fund Portfolio: Total Stock & Total Bond. "Simplicity is the master key to financial success."

bondsr4me

Post by bondsr4me » Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:59 pm

abuss368 wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:07 am
squirm wrote:
I am still reading the print and enjoy it. I wonder how much longer it will be in print.
I like to read it on my iPad or SP6....I can make the print larger...easier on my eyes.

I think it could actually be slimmed down even more. Eliminate a lot of the arts, sports, style, etc.
Agree with ya about this...I want business, not all the other side stuff.

To think back of the days when it was three sections, smaller print, and larger paper! How did we ever read it all?

abuss368

Post by abuss368 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:33 pm

bondsr4me wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:59 pm
abuss368 wrote:
squirm wrote:
I like to read it on my iPad or SP6....I can make the print larger...easier on my eyes.

Small print and hard to read? You and me both! I find if I look at a screen or television then back to the WSJ, my eyes have to adjust.

squirm

Post by squirm » Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:03 pm

abuss368 wrote:
squirm wrote:

I've been getting the print for twenty years. It used to be a larger format and many more pages. I hate digital print anything, too many bouncing and distracting ads, especially the ones that pop up after a few minutes you've been reading.

Our local paper also only allows access if you pay a subscription. The ads are even worse.

bondsr4me

Post by bondsr4me » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:01 am

abuss368 wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:33 pm
bondsr4me wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:59 pm
abuss368 wrote:
squirm wrote:

Small print and hard to read? You and me both! I find if I look at a screen or television then back to the WSJ, my eyes have to adjust.
Yes indeed, I hear that too.

fishandgolf

Post by fishandgolf » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:14 am

I've getting the WSJ (print and now digital) for 25+ years. I live in a rural area so the USPS misses delivery at least 1-2 days per week. I have always ordered it direct but last year someone on this site mentioned e-bay as a source....I believe it was $99.00 /yr which included both print and digital. It's been reliable.....still miss 1-2 days per week but it's not their fault......it is the USPS. If that is still available, I will probably reorder soon.

JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:01 am

fishandgolf wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:14 am
I've getting the WSJ (print and now digital) for 25+ years. I live in a rural area so the USPS misses delivery at least 1-2 days per week. I have always ordered it direct but last year someone on this site mentioned e-bay as a source....I believe it was $99.00 /yr which included both print and digital. It's been reliable.....still miss 1-2 days per week but it's not their fault......it is the USPS. If that is still available, I will probably reorder soon.
Thank you for posting this about the Ebay WSJ subscription. I've been curious about it since another BH posted about it earlier in the year. I've had issues with ordering direct from WSJ in terms of their rates increasing and some with delivery (but not their fault). I've been using the digital more and more but sometimes like to read the paper. 8-)

oldmotos

Post by oldmotos » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:44 am

I bought a 2 year WSJ Digital only subscription for $79.95 on eBay after reading the print version for many years. I love this newspaper and am getting used to the digital format. We travel a lot so it is nice to always be able to read it and not come home to a pile of newspapers.

Johnnie

Post by Johnnie » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:54 am

abuss368 wrote:
...To think back of the days when it was three sections, smaller print, and larger paper! How did we ever read it all?
Reminds me of those old IBD TV ads, "I don't have time for all the fluff!" :)

The Journal's online-rates have always been reasonable/not daunting, back to when such things were "invented" in the '90s.
"I know nothing."

Jeff Albertson

Post by Jeff Albertson » Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:48 pm

wsj.com free for 3 days staring Nov 09. https://twitter.com/WSJ/status/1191799885290442753

Freefun

Post by Freefun » Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:48 pm

I found it on eBay for $40 (5 years).
Remember when you wanted what you currently have?

mtwhmemn

Post by mtwhmemn » Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:56 pm

Freefun wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:48 pm
I took a look on ebay and see a seller with 824 sales & 99.7% Positive feedback selling 5 years for $43.95.

How can this be legit?

Freefun

Post by Freefun » Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:24 pm

mtwhmemn wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:56 pm
Freefun wrote:
I took a look on ebay and see a seller with 824 sales & 99.7% Positive feedback selling 5 years for $43.95.

How can this be legit?
I don’t know. I’m not the seller.

Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue » Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:25 pm

mtwhmemn wrote:
Freefun wrote:

How can this be legit?
I just ordered it. Hadn't used eBay in ages and when I logged in they gave me a $5 coupon for a final bill of $38.95. Seller has been around a long time with great reviews. If for some reason it isn't legit (unlikely) I will deal with it.

Cheers

Freefun

Post by Freefun » Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:42 pm

Silk McCue wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:25 pm
mtwhmemn wrote:
Freefun wrote:

How can this be legit?
I just ordered it. Hadn't used eBay in ages and when I logged in they gave me a $5 coupon for a final bill of $38.95. Seller has been around a long time with great reviews. If for some reason it isn't legit (unlikely) I will deal with it.

Cheers
I’ve been using one I bought years ago from a different seller. Thus far no problem.

LifeIsGood

Post by LifeIsGood » Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:48 am

I'm not arguing with anyone's results but this seems a bit sketchy -

I will send you the login information via eBay message after you bought this item.

This is a 100% PERSONAL account.

You can change the all information and make the account become 100% yours.

WSJ Online 5 Years Access
No any charge on your credit card

Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue » Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:04 am

LifeIsGood wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:48 am
I'm not arguing with anyone's results but this seems a bit sketchy -

I will send you the login information via eBay message after you bought this item.

This is a 100% PERSONAL account.

You can change the all information and make the account become 100% yours.

WSJ Online 5 Years Access
No any charge on your credit card
I wouldn't argue that this seems a bit sketchy but I am quite certain that this seller on ebay is well known to the WSJ and that they could have easily shut them down if they wanted to.

As posted yesterday I purchased this yesterday on EBay. I received notifications regarding the purchase from EBay yesterday and overnight an email arrived from the seller with instructions. The process is that you follow:
Thanks for your purchase.
This is your login information:

email address: xxxxxxxx@WSJSE.COM
password: wsj12345

How to use:
1. Go to https://www.wsj.com and “Sign In”
2. Chose “Continue To WSJ”
3. Go to https://customercenter.wsj.com/account key in your new email address and “SAVE” then you can verify your new email address, WSJ will send “Email Address Verification” to you.
4. Update Password
5. This is all your personal account.

Please leave me the POSITIVE feedback, it will help us a lot!!!
Best Regards,

What is happening is that once I place my order they setup a new account with an email address that they control. I sign in with the credentials that they provided and then proceed to use the change of email address feature to move it over to me. After I verify the email change by clicking on the link in the email that WSJ sent me I changed the password. At this point it is "my personal account" as I have changed the email address to me and the seller is completely disconnected from it. Oddly enough my subscription end date for my subscription shows as 10/10/2034. We shall see how my $38.95 purchase pans out.

Cheers

BobTexas

Post by BobTexas » Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:50 am

I bought a 2 year digital sub on eBay Dec last year for $79. Similar process as described above and still works