Vgd alt strategies fund (vasfx) open to retail investors?

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
User avatar
hdas
Posts: 1234
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:24 am

Re: Vgd alt strategies fund (vasfx) open to retail investors?

Post by hdas » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:07 pm

grok87 wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:59 pm
VASFX minimum now $50k
https://investor.vanguard.com/mutual-fu ... fees/vasfx
It says
Closed to new investors
:confused
"whenever there is a randomized way of doing something, then there is a nonrandomized way that delivers better performance but requires more thought" ET Jaynes

james22
Posts: 1419
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:22 pm

Re: Vgd alt strategies fund (vasfx) open to retail investors?

Post by james22 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:48 am

I see that, hdas. Hope is in error.

I plan to buy to a 5-10% position after the new year.

Winthorpe
Posts: 290
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:29 am

Re: Vgd alt strategies fund (vasfx) open to retail investors?

Post by Winthorpe » Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:22 pm

hdas wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:07 pm
grok87 wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:59 pm
VASFX minimum now $50k
https://investor.vanguard.com/mutual-fu ... fees/vasfx
It says
Closed to new investors
:confused
Nice. Well, that was anticlimactic!

Winthorpe
Posts: 290
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:29 am

Re: Vgd alt strategies fund (vasfx) open to retail investors?

Post by Winthorpe » Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:30 pm

When I look on the institutional and advisors sites, it says nothing about be closed to new investors. It only states "This fund is not available for health savings accounts, 529 plans, or defined contribution plans."

Fact sheet says AUM is $319 MM. For these strategies, I'm not sure if this is getting too big or not.

Winthorpe

User avatar
jhfenton
Posts: 4189
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:17 am
Location: Ohio

Re: Vgd alt strategies fund (vasfx) open to retail investors?

Post by jhfenton » Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:08 pm

At the moment, it does appear to be closed. I wasn't going to go through with the trade, but I just tried to exchange >$50K into VASFX, and was blocked with a message that the fund is closed.

Topic Author
grok87
Posts: 8833
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:00 pm

Re: Vgd alt strategies fund (vasfx) open to retail investors?

Post by grok87 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:30 pm

jhfenton wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:08 pm
At the moment, it does appear to be closed. I wasn't going to go through with the trade, but I just tried to exchange >$50K into VASFX, and was blocked with a message that the fund is closed.
thanks for the update, very weird.
RIP Mr. Bogle.

User avatar
hdas
Posts: 1234
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:24 am

Re: Vgd alt strategies fund (vasfx) open to retail investors?

Post by hdas » Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:45 am

Winthorpe wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:30 pm
When I look on the institutional and advisors sites, it says nothing about be closed to new investors. It only states "This fund is not available for health savings accounts, 529 plans, or defined contribution plans."

Fact sheet says AUM is $319 MM. For these strategies, I'm not sure if this is getting too big or not.

Winthorpe
Not too big at all yet. Cheers :greedy
"whenever there is a randomized way of doing something, then there is a nonrandomized way that delivers better performance but requires more thought" ET Jaynes

Post Reply