End of Support Chromebook

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
cheese_breath

Re: End of Support Chromebook

Post by cheese_breath » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:53 pm

quantAndHold wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:44 pm
If it were me, I would just go ahead and use it at the nursing home. Don’t use it for financial websites or email, but as long as it’s not on your home network, it should be fine for bogleheads, or watching videos or reading the news.
I use the other one at the nursing home. It has a 10 hour battery vs. 3 hours for the old one. I always kept the old one plugged in when using it at home. That's not so convenient at the nursing home.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

Topic Author
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:53 am

Guess what. I just checked the Google Update Policy, and according to the chart my other Chromebook (Acer CB3-111) auto update expiration date is this August. Makes one wonder if I should just get another Windows machine and keep it for 10 years.

https://support.google.com/chrome/a/ans ... 0366?hl=en

SeekingAPlan

Post by SeekingAPlan » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:53 pm

cheese_breath wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:53 am
Guess what. I just checked the Google Update Policy, and according to the chart my other Chromebook (Acer CB3-111) auto update expiration date is this August. Makes one wonder if I should just get another Windows machine and keep it for 10 years.

I also have this Acer model and it is still like new with 8 hour battery life. It seems like such a waste to discard and yet I bought it for ease of use not to be loading Linux etc. It has been my go to device except when I needed my Windows laptop for a specific purpose. Windows laptop is about a year or two older, going strong, but larger, heavier and my much shorter battery life.

Neither device is lacking any functionality that I need. I do not like to be forced to replace a device strictly due to passing time when I do not need any upgrade of any kind. I checked some Chromebooks at Best Buy. They come with less than a five year life as they are not just introduced models. Same with my Acer. I will only get 4 plus years, not even close to the expected 5.
Last edited by SeekingAPlan on Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ohai

Post by ohai » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:55 pm

It's probably be ok. However, if I had a 5y Chromebook, I'd probably be thinking of upgrading anyway. They are pretty cheap machines.

Topic Author
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:19 pm

ohai wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:55 pm
It's probably be ok. However, if I had a 5y Chromebook, I'd probably be thinking of upgrading anyway. They are pretty cheap machines.
Why upgrade when it already does everything I bought it for? In fact it does more.

I'll need to either upgrade my Windows machine to W10 or buy a new one soon, but I didn't expect to trash two good Chromebooks this year too.

Electron

Post by Electron » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:52 pm

I recently bought an Acer CB3-532 and just discovered that support will end in two years.

Support appears to be linked to the hardware chipset that is used. It looks like anyone buying a Chromebook should check the list before purchase.

Each Chromebook will have a cost per year based on purchase price and length of support. A lower cost unit with shorter life may not be a problem other than the need to upgrade sooner.
Electron

elcadarj

Post by elcadarj » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:12 pm

cheese_breath wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:14 am
smarcus3 wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:16 pm
cheese_breath wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:13 pm
I use it to watch Australian Rules Football, but cat videos should be good too. :wink:
For that why not. :mrgreen:

I'd recommend connecting to the guest side of your router so the Chromebook is isolated from the rest of your local networked devices. Otherwise the Chromebook could give access to your other devices to a hacker.
I'm with AT&T Internet now, and I don't think their gateway (combined modem and router) has a guest side.
Are you U-verse Fiber? The Pace gateway does allow for a guest Wi-Fi network.

NewbieBogle007

Post by NewbieBogle007 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:58 pm

Scrapr wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:45 pm
smarcus3 wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:24 pm
The manufacturer won't push security updates to the device per their policy. If Google wanted to they could support the hardware for any length of time. For example windows does this. Windows doesn't care of your hardware is 20 years old or new.
MS ends support all the time. I just checked Windows Vista. That support ended in 2017

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... of-support

Win 7 mainstream support ended in 2015. Extended support until 2020. I imagine you can pay for updates. Typically business I would think
Mmmm that's not entirely true. MS offered a cheap upgrade option for Vista to Win7 (I paid $10) and free upgrade from Win7 to Win10. That means If you had purchased a PC in 2006, it would still be updating to this day and beyond (for little money). I have 2 Windows PCs that I bought in 2008 and they run great presently. The topic of this thread is one of the many reasons I'll never buy a Chromebook.

Electron

Post by Electron » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:00 pm

This article from 2016 indicates that Chromebooks may have an "official" end-of-life date that is different from the posted date.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3109868 ... years.html

"Google says it’s working with our partners to update our policies so that we’re able to extend security patches and updates beyond a device’s EOL date. Google isn’t making any guarantees at this point, but it sounds like the company wants to extend updates, at least on the security side, beyond five years. It also sounds like device makers such as Acer and Samsung would be partially responsible for making that happen."

I'd be interested if this has occurred with any specific Chromebooks.

Here is an excellent article on what to do when a Chromebook reaches end of life.

https://www.howtogeek.com/403164/what-t ... -its-life/
Electron

Grasshopper

Post by Grasshopper » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:21 pm

I just replaced an Acer 15 end of support 6/20 with a refurbished 15 from Acer Refurbished EOS 11/23 for $210. Looks brand new, showed it being power washed once. Ms G will keep her Acer going as she doesn't use except for mail and surfing.

mptfan

Post by mptfan » Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:27 pm

Google announced that it will give most Chrome OS devices one additional year of software support.

https://www.androidpolice.com/2019/11/0 ... e-support/

Topic Author
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:35 am

mptfan wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:27 pm
Google announced that it will give most Chrome OS devices one additional year of software support.

Good news. Maybe that explains the September 26th build date on the one I'm using right now? It was supposed to expire in August.

SeekingAPlan

Post by SeekingAPlan » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:02 am

cheese_breath wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:35 am
mptfan wrote:

Good news. Maybe that explains the September 26th build date on the one I'm using right now? It was supposed to expire in August.
Mine was supposed to expire in August as well. I just looked at the end of life list and the date has been changed to Sept 2021. That is TWO more years. Guess I will not have to watch those Black Friday ads this year after all. :happy

tc101

Post by tc101 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:28 am

how do I know if my chromebook is one of the ones being updated or not? I don't remember when I bought it.
. | The most important thing you should know about me is that I am not an expert.

SeekingAPlan

Post by SeekingAPlan » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:34 am

tc101 wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:28 am
how do I know if my chromebook is one of the ones being updated or not? I don't remember when I bought it.

This is the link to the list of chromebooks with end of life dates.

wolf359

Post by wolf359 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:28 am

I have used chromebooks for a long time, and I was caught off-guard by this issue. One day, my oldest chromebook informed me that end-of-life was coming. I got several months of warning, and eventually that date passed. I've done lots of research on the issue. Here's what I've learned:

1) 5 years isn't really 5 years. Google guaranteed support for 5 years minimum, but they often support the models longer than that. The first Chromebook model I got was older than 5 years when they cut it off. The 5 years refers to when the chipset was released, not when you bought it. They sent lots of notification about the cutoff prior to it occurring, and let me know when my last update was. Some months later, they updated it anyways.

2) You can operate it untrusted. I now have it link to guest networks and when I'm going to untrusted areas. I also only operate it in guest mode (don't log in.) It's still handy as an extra browsing system. If I'm going somewhere physically risky (like a beach or the pool), this is my go-to laptop. Do not use it for anything that requires a login.

3) You can turn it back into an open source Chromebook. The Chromium OS that the Chromebook is based on is open sourced. There is another company that is supplying and supporting the OS. It turns out that Chromebooks run Chromium really well. Check out CloudReady by NeverWare. The catch is that I don't believe this version supports Netflix (although that may have changed.)
Link: https://www.neverware.com/freedownload/

4) You can turn it into a Linux laptop. I've done this on other small laptops, but I haven't actually done this with any chromebooks yet. I've been using options 2 and 3. I already have other Linux laptops, so there's been no pressing need. I'm also thinking of gifting it to a kid so that THEY can turn it into a Linux laptop.

Conclusion:
Chromebooks are really cheap. I'm probably just going to get another one this Christmas. The cost is low enough that it's not worth the bother to do anything fancy. I'm primarily using options 2 and 3. I'll use it untrusted. If I need a trusted version for the kids, I'll update it to CloudReady.

Edit: The supported timeframe is 6 1/2 years from the release of the chipset, which is effectively 5 years for any given model. See post above this one for link for which models are supported.
Last edited by wolf359 on Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mptfan

Post by mptfan » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:28 am

tc101 wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:28 am
Try to update it and see what happens.

Topic Author
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:23 pm

SeekingAPlan wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:02 am
cheese_breath wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:35 am
mptfan wrote:

Mine was supposed to expire in August as well. I just looked at the end of life list and the date has been changed to Sept 2021. That is TWO more years. Guess I will not have to watch those Black Friday ads this year after all. :happy
I checked the list and my CB3-111 gets two more years to Sept 2021 too.

Topic Author
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:33 pm

wolf359 wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:28 am
... I now have it link to guest networks and when I'm going to untrusted areas. I also only operate it in guest mode (don't log in.) It's still handy as an extra browsing system. If I'm going somewhere physically risky (like a beach or the pool), this is my go-to laptop. Do not use it for anything that requires a login....
You just gave me a reason not to trash my old Acer C-710. It hasn't been supported for a year or more, so I just stuck it on a shelf and ignored it.