Medicare Part D moving target

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
btenny

Medicare Part D moving target

Post by btenny » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:30 pm

I have been analyzing various Medicare Part D insurance plans trying to select the best option for next year. In late October I found the Humana plans said they do not cover Chemotherapy Drugs. So I was going to ask questions about that issue. I do not have cancer but that blanket statement bothered me. Now in November that statement is gone.

The October plans covered all my drugs. Now in November I am looking at the data and now one of my drugs apparently is no longer available at Humana in 2020. But Humana has been carrying that drug and I have been filling a prescription for it for 2-3 years.

Anyone else having moving target issues? Suggestions?

Ron

Re: Medicare Part D moving target

Post by Ron » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:42 pm

Over the last eight years (including 2020), I've changed Part D providers five times based upon changes in premiums, co-pays, and covered meds.

That's just the name of the game, FWIW.

- Ron

Big Dog

Re: Medicare Part D moving target

Post by Big Dog » Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:03 pm

Chemotherapy is usually covered under Part B, so the Part D carriers list it as an exclusion.

And yes, always better to wait until late November to choose a plan so that way all info is current.