Spectrum Internet has a good scam going

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Inframan4712

Spectrum Internet has a good scam going

Post by Inframan4712 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:09 pm

Sold house, closed Oct 24. Called Spectrum to cancel that day. Turned in all equipment Oct 25.

Received bill 1 week later for service, and I quote from the bill,
“Service period Oct 26 to Nov 25.”

Went in to the store. Very nice lady acknowledged that I turned in equipment on time but nothing she could do. Suggested I call Customer Service.

Did so. Rep stated bills are cut on Oct 12 and not prorated. On top of that, and this is important, there is no way for me to have called prior to Oct 12 to schedule a disconnection on Oct 25. We don’t do future disconnects.

I know that the buyers of my house immediately started Spectrum service. So Spectrum is getting paid twice for this month.

Can you imagine if electricity, natural gas, and water worked this
way?

rantk81

Re: Spectrum Internet has a good scam going

Post by rantk81 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:10 pm

Sounds like a good case for:

https://www.fcc.gov/media/cable-televis ... le-service

Maybe even alerting Spectrum to the fact that you are considering logging a FCC complaint -- will resolve the issue for you.

SixAlpha

Post by SixAlpha » Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:22 pm

Yep. I had a similar situation with Spectrum a month ago. Telephone rep said there was nothing she could do - her hands were tied. In the meantime, my final electric bill was $2. Not only did they prorate it, they also applied my deposit to my final balance.

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:25 pm

Inframan4712 wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:09 pm
Sold house, closed Oct 24. Called Spectrum to cancel that day. Turned in all equipment Oct 25.

Went in to the store. Very nice lady acknowledged that I turned in equipment on time but nothing she could do. Suggested I call Customer Service.

Did so. Rep stated bills are cut on Oct 12 and not prorated. On top of that, and this is important, there is no way for me to have called prior to Oct 12 to schedule a disconnection on Oct 25. We don’t do future disconnects.

I know that the buyers of my house immediately started Spectrum service. So Spectrum is getting paid twice for this month.

Can you imagine if electricity, natural gas, and water worked this
way?
You don't have to pay it...

We transferred a property from an estate to us. No meter reading needed. Estate was charged on final bill for a month base charge, as were we. We complained, and they agreed to cancel estate's bill.

Same utility just changed billing date to days earlier for some, did not prorate flat rate, so they are pulling more revenue into the year. I filed a complaint with the public utility commission.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

Topic Author
Inframan4712

Post by Inframan4712 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:29 pm

rantk81 wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:10 pm
Sounds like a good case for:

https://www.fcc.gov/media/cable-televis ... le-service

Maybe even alerting Spectrum to the fact that you are considering logging a FCC complaint -- will resolve the issue for you.
Thanks! I just did that, based on your post. But I did google to find the complaint page for internet, not cable.

gch

Post by gch » Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:06 pm

In my experience with multiple cable/internet companies (not Spectrum), they have to Bill you for the full month like they did, then they credit your account and send you a check a month or two later for the prorated time you canceled. Assuming you weren’t under contract this is almost surely what will happen.

Topic Author
Inframan4712

Post by Inframan4712 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:10 pm

gch wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:06 pm
In my experience with multiple cable/internet companies (not Spectrum), they have to Bill you for the full month like they did, then they credit your account and send you a check a month or two later for the prorated time you canceled. Assuming you weren’t under contract this is almost surely what will happen.
That wasn’t my experience with ATT u-verse. They kept my money as well.

If Spectrum will eventually refund some money, you’d think one of the CSRs I spoke with would have told me. I won’t be holding my breath.

HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch » Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:57 pm

If you hold off paying the bill, you might see a credit post to your account before the due date.

Earlier this year, I cancelled Spectrum service and turned in equipment midway into the billing period (which was billed and paid before the start of the billing period. I received a pro-rated refund by check the following month.

Saluki31

Post by Saluki31 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:09 pm

FYI - Spectrum changed their policy earlier this year. The language below was included in monthly statements.

“Effective on or after June 23, 2019 and consistent with the terms and conditions of service, Spectrum will no longer provide pro rata credit for services sold on a monthly basis that are cancelled prior to the end of the current billing month.”

Topic Author
Inframan4712

Post by Inframan4712 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:09 pm

Thanks to everyone who replied.

batpot

Post by batpot » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:09 pm

Interesting, for all the complaints Comcast has, never screwed me like this.
And the last bill was prorated like it should be.

Saluki31

Post by Saluki31 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:15 pm

AT&T also recently stopped prorating the final bill.

JediMisty

Post by JediMisty » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:22 pm

Saluki31 wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:09 pm
FYI - Spectrum changed their policy earlier this year. The language below was included in monthly statements.

“Effective on or after June 23, 2019 and consistent with the terms and conditions of service, Spectrum will no longer provide pro rata credit for services sold on a monthly basis that are cancelled prior to the end of the current billing month.”
How is this legal? I smell a class action suit being born....

MotoTrojan

Post by MotoTrojan » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:05 pm

Saluki31 wrote:

Based on the OP, were they not compliant with this though?

Topic Author
Inframan4712

Post by Inframan4712 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:38 am

MotoTrojan wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:05 pm
Saluki31 wrote:

Don’t know if you’re asking if I was compliant or Spectrum was compliant.

The takeaway is that in order to avoid being charged for service you aren’t using, you have to cut off your internet before you move. I’m sorry but that’s unacceptable. Internet access is a critical service, close to as critical as electricity.

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:14 am

Bill is for a future period, beginning after OP cancelled service. That is NOT the same as refusing to prorate service for the existing period, which OP already paid for.

Ignore the bill.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

scintillator

Post by scintillator » Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:45 am

RickBoglehead wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:14 am
Bill is for a future period, beginning after OP cancelled service. That is NOT the same as refusing to prorate service for the existing period, which OP already paid for.

Ignore the bill.
Ignore it and it's likely to go to collections and hurt your credit score. I don't care much about my credit, so I generally just stiff these clowns, but for most people credit scores are very valuable and so it's a hassle to resolve everything.

My latest experience was with CenturyLink: I called them to cancel my service. Of course I was redirected to whatever the relevant department is, and then put on hold. When I finally got to speak to someone I told her I wanted to cancel my service, and her response was a beauty: "Sorry, our system is down, so we are unable to process any cancellations." I tell her to just write my name and account number down and then cancel it when the system comes back up. "Sorry, we're unable to do that. You'll have to call back again later." Henceforth all bills went directly into the trash, collections notices went directly into the trash, phone is on DND except for contacts to ignore any collections calls. Now I just use an antenna to "borrow" internet from a nearby restaurant's wifi.

arf30

Post by arf30 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:52 am

The proper way to cancel with shady companies (like gyms) is to send a cancellation letter through certified mail, they can't legally ignore it and it provides you with a legal paper trail in case there are any issues down the road.

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:13 am

arf30 wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:52 am
The proper way to cancel with shady companies (like gyms) is to send a cancellation letter through certified mail, they can't legally ignore it and it provides you with a legal paper trail in case there are any issues down the road.
OP turned in equipment, and should have a receipt proving that. Done.

Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples » Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:33 am

While these services are not regulated by states, perhaps your state govt. will help. In my case, I had a problem with Comcast. I called the VA State Corporation Commission which regulates utilities. Even though, as I said, they don't have legal jurisdiction, they did have a contact and the issue was resolved within days. Even is there is nothing customer service can do, there is nothing to prevent the corporate offices from issuing you a check or a VISA reward card for the amount.

HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch » Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:46 am

You cancelled and returned equipment before the service period started. The Spectrum bill likely isn’t due for 1-2 weeks. It was routinely generated and mailed prior to your cancellation. You will likely see a credit posted to your account before the due date. Assuming all charges are for the post-cancellation service period, you don’t owe anything. Call Spectrum CS closer to the due date if the credit hasn’t posted.

PVW

Post by PVW » Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:00 am

Inframan4712 wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:09 pm

IANAL, but I did know a pre law major in college that didn't pay her cable bill...

The point I would make to the regulators is that there is no way for you to both fulfill the terms of the contract and receive what you paid for. With the Oct 12 deadline and the non pro rata rule, you cannot pay for and receive service up until October 25 and then discontinue service from October 26.

Assuming the contract specifies that your fee is for a specific term of service and notice of termination must be a specified time before the end of the term of service, it is impossible to fulfill the terms of contract if they don't pro rata refund your fee.

pfree

Post by pfree » Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:54 am

This happened to me with Verizon when I sold my house this summer. Verizon rep told me the same story but also said I would be refunded from the day I terminated my service. Instead of refund back to my account they sent me a pre-paid MasterCard with five pages of rules and regulations. It worked out for me but I'm not a fan of pre-paid cards

SuzBanyan

Post by SuzBanyan » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:45 am

Apparently, AT&T made a similar change in January. But both are subject to state law:

From Arstechnica on 5/17/19:
“We've confirmed that the no-prorating policy will apply at least in Texas and Ohio, and we assume it will be enforced in most of Charter's 41-state territory. But state-specific rules may prevent it from being enforced in some places. For example, the AT&T/DirecTV policy of charging for the full final month does not apply to any accounts in California, Illinois, and New York, and doesn't apply to U-verse TV, AT&T Phone, or AT&T Internet accounts in Michigan. AT&T said this is because of "local or state regulations or for other specific reasons."

MotoTrojan

Post by MotoTrojan » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:59 am

Inframan4712 wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:38 am
MotoTrojan wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:05 pm
Saluki31 wrote:

Don’t know if you’re asking if I was compliant or Spectrum was compliant.

The takeaway is that in order to avoid being charged for service you aren’t using, you have to cut off your internet before you move. I’m sorry but that’s unacceptable. Internet access is a critical service, close to as critical as electricity.
I am saying it seemed like you cancelled your internet before the next billing cycle so I am confused why you still had to pay the next billing cycle (seemed like you met their requirement).

I have spectrum myself and will be moving soon so trying to ensure I understand what to do. Thx!

oxothuk

Post by oxothuk » Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:11 pm

This seems to be the new trend in the telecom industry. ATT hit us with this when we cancelled our cell service last spring. CenturyLink recently sent us a note announcing this new policy for our internet service.

Just a sneaky way to claw some extra dollars from customers who are out of contract.

nydoc

Post by nydoc » Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:24 pm

Prorated fee applicable in Teax and Ohio. Not applicable in California, New York and Illinois. I really don’t see why it is like that.

LiterallyIronic

Post by LiterallyIronic » Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:29 pm

Inframan4712 wrote:
Internet access is a critical service, close to as critical as electricity.
While I agree that they should be required to prorate the bill, come on. Internet is a critical service? I can't even recall the last time I used the Internet for something important. Not being able to surf Reddit, check e-mail, or play an online game is not a big deal.

scophreak

Post by scophreak » Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:44 pm

RickBoglehead wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:14 am

Ignore the bill.
+1...except for the ignore the bill part. You are not asking for them to prorate the bill. You cancelled service and turned in all equipment prior to the next billing period, thus you did not receive any partial month of services at all. There is nothing to prorate here and a full credit for the unused (but billed) month is in order.

Workable Goblin

Post by Workable Goblin » Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:50 pm

LiterallyIronic wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:29 pm
Not being able to surf Reddit, check e-mail, or play an online game is not a big deal.
I'm in the middle of starting a new job, and literally all of my communications with my employers have been via email. Additionally, since this is a cleared federal contractor position I needed to access government websites to apply for clearance. Considering the amount of money at stake and the time-sensitivity of a lot of these communications, it seems like a pretty big deal to me.

Topic Author
Inframan4712

Post by Inframan4712 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:02 pm

LiterallyIronic wrote:
Inframan4712 wrote:
While I agree that they should be required to prorate the bill, come on. Internet is a critical service? I can't even recall the last time I used the Internet for something important. Not being able to surf Reddit, check e-mail, or play an online game is not a big deal.
Do you have a real job? Because I do. And I need internet on a PC to do it.

LiterallyIronic

Post by LiterallyIronic » Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:18 pm

Inframan4712 wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:02 pm
LiterallyIronic wrote:
Inframan4712 wrote:
Do you have a real job? Because I do. And I need internet on a PC to do it.
I also need a desk at work, but that doesn't make desks a "critical service" that puts me up a creek without a paddle at home. Other people might need a hardhat at work - doesn't mean they need one at home. Work and home requirements are vastly, and obviously, different. If I don't have Internet at work, I can't upload my code changes to the repository. If I don't have Internet at home, I can't watch YouTube.

sabhen

Post by sabhen » Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:45 pm

Spectrum just raised my monthly internet bill by 33%. I don't have much choice in my area. They are gouging their customers.

criticalmass

Post by criticalmass » Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:07 pm

LiterallyIronic wrote:
Inframan4712 wrote:
Everyone's use of the Internet is not limited to the scope of your use of the Internet. Many folks do use the Internet for something they consider important, including pacemaker and insulin devices communicating with healthcare for real time monitoring and healthcare provider adjustments, getting their professional responsibilities accomplished, operating their telephone system, security system monitoring, video conference with work colleagues, accessing their Vanguard accounts to buy more VTSAX (VTI for the hip crowd), paying bills to keep the lights and Internet on, etc. It's meaningless to impose your personal requirements for internet availability to someone else's.

Your username checks out though. :)

For the OP, if you don't pay the bogus bill, what are they going to do? Disconnect your disconnected service? Take you to collections for not paying a service they never delivered? I would file multiple complaints with FCC, state utility regulators, FTC, and down the line. Even if they don't have regulatory authority for "internet service," the company will certainly face a bunch of time loss responding and exposure that they may not enjoy. I think you have an excellent case and should do well.

RudyS

Post by RudyS » Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:23 pm

To provide me with internet for a few days at the time of a move, I set up my Verizon phone as a wifi hot spot. Costs a bit for the data, but no big deal for the few days and limited usage.

HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch » Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:36 pm

MotoTrojan wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:59 am
I have spectrum myself and will be moving soon so trying to ensure I understand what to do. Thx!
You might check Spectrum’s cancellation terms contained in their online Terms of Service. In May, I called Spectrum to set a cancellation date one week in advance, then returned the equipment at the store (received a receipt) a week later on the cancellation date. I received a credit on my account within two weeks (before the billing due date).

criticalmass

Post by criticalmass » Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:08 pm

MotoTrojan wrote:
HomeStretch wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:36 pm
You might check Spectrum’s cancellation terms contained in their online Terms of Service. In May, I called Spectrum to set a cancellation date one week in advance, then returned the equipment at the store (received a receipt) a week later on the cancellation date. I received a credit on my account within two weeks (before the billing due date).
Just note Spectrum's policies have changed since May. Mototrojan may want to compare the move date with the service billing cycle, and cancel in advance as necessary. A mobile data plan may be enough for the interim. I'm using a grandfathered AT and T unlimited plan for $20/mo that works well enough that I gave up with cable Internet services.

fru-gal

Post by fru-gal » Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:23 pm

LiterallyIronic wrote:
Inframan4712 wrote:
Email matters to me. Not only my family and friends, but my internist and cardiologist communicate by email. Medical test results are posted on patient portals. I get my news via the Internet. I check my financial accounts online.

deikel

Post by deikel » Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:55 pm

sabhen wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:45 pm
Spectrum just raised my monthly internet bill by 33%. I don't have much choice in my area. They are gouging their customers.
Not that it helps you any, but the exact same just happened to me as well - monopolist at work, I complained to my local political representative in the hope of some visibility.

I never had an issue when they were still TWC, Spectrum just wastes time and money with advertisements twice a week for new bundles...and then claim they have to raise the price because their costs have gone up, duh.
Everything you read in this post is my personal opinion. If you disagree with this disclaimer, please un-read the text immediately and destroy any copy or remembrance of it.

scophreak

Post by scophreak » Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:21 pm

criticalmass wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:08 pm
MotoTrojan wrote:
HomeStretch wrote:
Just note Spectrum's policies have changed since May. Mototrojan may want to compare the move date with the service billing cycle, and cancel in advance as necessary. A mobile data plan may be enough for the interim. I'm using a grandfathered AT and T unlimited plan for $20/mo that works well enough that I gave up with cable Internet services.

As has been mentioned earlier, OP is not looking for a "pro rata credit for services". cancellation was made (and equipment returned) prior to the end of the NEXT billing month, though after the bill itself was generated.

criticalmass

Post by criticalmass » Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:39 pm

scophreak wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:21 pm
criticalmass wrote:
MotoTrojan wrote:
HomeStretch wrote:

As has been mentioned earlier, OP is not looking for a "pro rata credit for services". cancellation was made (and equipment returned) prior to the end of the NEXT billing month, though after the bill itself was generated.
Yes that is correct regarding the OP. Then you can read on to understand I was responding to another poster's follow up question about what to do for a planned termination in the future. Please consider the two quotes in my post for the proper context to understand.
Last edited by criticalmass on Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:28 pm

similar experience w/ Centurylink this past Spring. I eventually just paid the $40 to keep a blemish off my credit etc.

Hassle^9

Topic Author
Inframan4712

Post by Inframan4712 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:53 pm

I can report that making a complaint to the FCC definitely gets noticed.
I received a call from Spectrum today. A very nice lady identified herself as a member of, I forget the name, but some sort of customer complaint escalation team. She asked if she had reached the right person, had I filed an FCC complaint. Confirmed the details as I laid them out in the complaint. Apologized for the failure of explaining things to me properly. Wanted to make sure of the best number and time for someone else to call me. Said it would take up to 48 business hours for that to happen.

We’ll see.

scophreak

Post by scophreak » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:07 pm

criticalmass wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:39 pm
scophreak wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:21 pm
criticalmass wrote:
MotoTrojan wrote:
HomeStretch wrote:

Yes that is correct regarding the OP. Then you can read on to understand I was responding to another poster's follow up question about what to do for a planned termination in the future. Please consider the two quotes in my post for the proper context to understand.
I see now that you were replying to another poster. However, unless I'm missing something I don't really see how the situation (or advice) is any different from the OP. Your suggestion was that Mototrojan should cancel in advance of the billing cycle date, which is exactly what the OP did (albeit only a day before the next billing cycle). I think we all agree that Spectrum is in the wrong here...should it be up to us to guess how far in advance one should request cancellation so as to not be billed for an extra month?

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:58 am

deikel wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:55 pm
sabhen wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:45 pm
Not that it helps you any, but the exact same just happened to me as well - monopolist at work, I complained to my local political representative in the hope of some visibility.

I never had an issue when they were still TWC, Spectrum just wastes time and money with advertisements twice a week for new bundles...and then claim they have to raise the price because their costs have gone up, duh.
Yes, I get a mailer every single week from them as well.

StandingRock

Post by StandingRock » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:09 am

They charged me $350 for a DVR device that one of their contractors stole. I had just moved and still had my old equipment, and they told me specifically that I could turn it in to the installer coming the next day. Well, I did and I guess he never turned it in, because they charged me for it. I couldn't find any receipt or anything to prove he took it. I cancelled everything with Spectrum once I settled with them. If I ever run into that installer I'm going to punch him in the face.

Luckywon

Post by Luckywon » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:23 am

StandingRock wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:09 am
They charged me $350 for a DVR device that one of their contractors stole. I had just moved and still had my old equipment, and they told me specifically that I could turn it in to the installer coming the next day. Well, I did and I guess he never turned it in, because they charged me for it. I couldn't find any receipt or anything to prove he took it. I cancelled everything with Spectrum once I settled with them. If I ever run into that installer I'm going to punch him in the face.
They did exactly the same thing to me! I had asked for a receipt and the installer said they don't provide one. This happened a few years ago, I don't remember how much they charged. Spectrum said they would "look into this". I never heard back from them. I decided it was not worth my time to pursue it.

StandingRock

Post by StandingRock » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:41 am

Luckywon wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:23 am
StandingRock wrote:
They did exactly the same thing to me! I had asked for a receipt and the installer said they don't provide one. This happened a few years ago, I don't remember how much they charged. Spectrum said they would "look into this". I never heard back from them. I decided it was not worth my time to pursue it.
I went around in circles with them for a few days then just wrote the check. They didn't give a rip if I remained a customer or not.

Luckywon

Post by Luckywon » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:47 am

StandingRock wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:41 am
Luckywon wrote:
StandingRock wrote:
I went around in circles with them for a few days then just wrote the check. They didn't give a rip if I remained a customer or not.
What a scam.

I'm still a customer, not much choice. :annoyed

StandingRock

Post by StandingRock » Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:03 pm

Luckywon wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:47 am
StandingRock wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:41 am
Luckywon wrote:
StandingRock wrote:
What a scam.

I'm still a customer, not much choice. :annoyed

That would annoy me to no end. I won't compromise on customer service. I'll work with a company but in the end if I'm not satisfied then Bye Bye and the last thing they see is two middle fingers waving in the air.