2019 Tax Forms by hand or with help

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
heerekj1

2019 Tax Forms by hand or with help

Post by heerekj1 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:06 pm

While I was working I did my own taxes with Turbo Tax. Because of a location change and moving to part time, I had a CPA doing it. I am now on glide path where it would seem my taxes should be easy do it.

I will being doing an RMD in 2021 but am currently taking the equivalent value out and placing it in a Roth. I will use the standard deduction. I paid quarterly estimates. I am not actively trading in my taxable account but will have a few dividends and some capital gains.

What forms will I need if I decide to do it my hand or what version of tax software do I need?

Silk McCue

Re: 2019 Tax Forms by hand or with help

Post by Silk McCue » Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:02 pm

Do you have earned income? If not you can't fund a Roth. You could do a Roth Conversion from your IRA.

I use TurboTax Deluxe software (no higher level needed for you) for our taxes which performs a certain level of checks and balances in the process. I would use software for a couple of years to see what exactly is populated before considering doing a return by hand.

Cheers

FiveK

Re: 2019 Tax Forms by hand or with help

Post by FiveK » Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:25 pm

heerekj1 wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:06 pm
What forms will I need if I decide to do it my hand ...?
Form 1040 has changed a little for 2019, but you could use your 2018 return as a starting point. Then mentally delete forms with items no longer applicable to leave, if you have no new types of income, the forms you will need for 2019.

See Tax preparation software for 2018 returns - Bogleheads.org for related discussion.