Time for a new car - Corolla or Civic...

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
RootSki

Re: Time for a new car - Corolla or Civic...

Post by RootSki » Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:32 am

anoop wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:44 pm
Barkingsparrow wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:24 pm
I did a lot more research into the new 8-speed transmission used by the Camry, and I've seen some advice saying that the transmission has to be "trained". Has anyone heard of something like this?

Modern engines don't require the same process of seating metal components together as old engines did. They do however require break-in so to speak for computer learning. Many people do this improperly and worse, the car has some mileage prior to delivery. The absolute worst thing to do during this process is get on the highway and set the cruise. This is common on dealer locates where someone drives a car from one dealer to another.
Driving at one speed doesn't give the computer much to learn. There are also people in their day to day driving that don't use more than 15 to 20% throttle or drive very gentle because its new.

or the best learning, do not baby the car with lower than normal throttle application. Also do not drive at wide open throttle or slam the pedal. We don't want to be aggressive or drive like we stole it. Use slightly exaggerated throttle and roll on the pedal instead of slamming to where you want it. Use most of the throttle range such 0% to 75% in a slow rolling motion. Obviously not at every light but at least a few time such as highway on ramps and such. This gives the computer a wide range of input data. Very little is learned while cruising. Acceleration and deceleration produce the most data. You also want to spend time at as wide a range of speeds as possible from parking lots doing 10mph to 65 - 70mph.
I have heard of this, but it's probably not as big of a deal. I'm almost certain, but short of 100%, that even if it did a bad job learning, it will be possible for the dealer to reset it before you take delivery so that the learning begins afresh.
With my XC60 I can “reset or relearn” the Transmission Control Computer by selecting “Off-Road” drive mode and than drive it from 0 to over 40mph. At 40mph it will reset the computer and change into “Constant AWD” mode.

Topic Author
Barkingsparrow

Re: Time for a new car - Corolla or Civic...

Post by Barkingsparrow » Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:12 pm

FWIW. I've decided on a 2020 Camry LE. Hope to pick it up this coming Saturday.