Reimbursement for a 6-month old fraudulent Visa charge

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
GeraniumLover

Reimbursement for a 6-month old fraudulent Visa charge

Post by GeraniumLover » Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:08 am

I am usually very good about checking the charges made on my credits cards. However, I have a business card for my sole proprietorship that I use mostly for recurring charges (website, cloud, software) that I have not been checking as regularly, and I have autopay set up to pay this card from my business account. Back in May I noticed some Pizza Hut charges and a couple others that I did not make and worked with Bank of America to get a credit for them. At that time they issued me a new card.

This weekend, I discovered a charge for just under $700 that was made on my old card in early March. I immediately reported it to Bank of America and they said they would investigate and I should expect to receive a letter from them in 10-15 days regarding a resolution. They didn't mention the 60-day period during which I understand cardholders are supposed to report fraudulent charges. They left me some hope that since this was on the card they replaced for fraudulent activity, that I might get reimbursed.

Has anyone else been able to get a fraudulent charge reversed more than 60 days after the date of the statement on which it first appeared? How likely do you think it is in this case?

THY4373

Re: Reimbursement for a 6-month old fraudulent Visa charge

Post by THY4373 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:34 am

Further complicating matters since you have a business card the rules are different than consumer cards. I don't know the details but I do know that business credit cards have less protections than their consumer counterparts. Whether that impacts this situation I don't know.

Topic Author
GeraniumLover

Post by GeraniumLover » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:52 pm

THY4373 wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:34 am
Further complicating matters since you have a business card the rules are different than consumer cards. I don't know the details but I do know that business credit cards have less protections than their consumer counterparts. Whether that impacts this situation I don't know.
Yeah, I saw that Visa's Zero Liability policy excludes "commercial" accounts. I don't know whether that exclusion would apply to me as a sole proprietor.

Although I agree that I should have caught it earlier, it worries me that BoA didn't flag it when it was made, as it is completely inconsistent with the spending history on the account (the monthly total balance for which is usually in the $50-150 range).

mptfan

Post by mptfan » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:59 pm

GeraniumLover wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:08 am
They left me some hope that since this was on the card they replaced for fraudulent activity, that I might get reimbursed.
What exactly did they do to leave you some hope?

mptfan

Post by mptfan » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:04 pm

GeraniumLover wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:52 pm
Although I agree that I should have caught it earlier, it worries me that BoA didn't flag it when it was made, as it is completely inconsistent with the spending history on the account (the monthly total balance for which is usually in the $50-150 range).
I don't understand the cause of your worry? Whether they "flagged it" at the time has nothing to do with whether it is a fraudulent charge or whether they are responsible. I have made many authorized charges that were inconsistent with my spending history that were not "flagged."

LilyFleur

Post by LilyFleur » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:18 pm

mptfan wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:04 pm
GeraniumLover wrote:
I don't understand the cause of your worry? Whether they "flagged it" at the time has nothing to do with whether it is a fraudulent charge or whether they are responsible. I have made many authorized charges that were inconsistent with my spending history that were not "flagged."
I get text messages informing me of unusual charges on my Citibank VISA. Maybe it would be good to make sure you have this turned on for all your credit cards.

Topic Author
GeraniumLover

Post by GeraniumLover » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:59 pm

mptfan wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:59 pm
GeraniumLover wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:08 am
They left me some hope that since this was on the card they replaced for fraudulent activity, that I might get reimbursed.
What exactly did they do to leave you some hope?
The agent said something along the lines of: "Oh, I see that this was charged to the card that we cancelled for fraudulent activity; let me see if we can add that charge to the earlier claim"

mptfan

Post by mptfan » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:01 pm

GeraniumLover wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:59 pm
The agent said something along the lines of: "Oh, I see that this was charged to the card that we cancelled for fraudulent activity; let me see if we can add that charge to the earlier claim"
I would not get your hopes up based on what the first line customer service agent said, I am sure it has to be reviewed by someone in the fraud department. And saying "let me see if we can do this" does not mean they will do it, although the fact that you had an earlier fraud claim with the same card is to your benefit.
Last edited by mptfan on Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Topic Author
GeraniumLover

Post by GeraniumLover » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:07 pm

mptfan wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:04 pm
GeraniumLover wrote:
I often get calls or texts for activity on my other credit cards that the issuer suspects are fraudulent. I also get them for charges I authorized that are not consistent with my past transactions. I would have expected that a one-time charge from a web-based business that is a multiple of the normal total monthly balance would have prompted them to contact me to ensure it was authorized. YMMV

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:26 pm

OP, you might want to set up alerts on your credit cards. I receive an email on my cards when they are used for a transaction. I take a couple of minutes each morning to see what is in my emails. Much easier to do when the info is fresh.

The only alert I ever received via phone was when a helpful representative called me to advise me my Costco Visa card was being used to purchase items at Costco. I pointed out that their records would show this to be a regular and routine event. I asked what triggered the call but they wouldn't say.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

LilyFleur

Post by LilyFleur » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:28 pm

Broken Man 1999 wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:26 pm
OP, you might want to set up alerts on your credit cards. I receive an email on my cards when they are used for a transaction. I take a couple of minutes each morning to see what is in my emails. Much easier to do when the info is fresh.

The only alert I ever received via phone was when a helpful representative called me to advise me my Costco Visa card was being used to purchase items at Costco. I pointed out that their records would show this to be a regular and routine event. I asked what triggered the call but they wouldn't say.

Broken Man 1999
The Costco VISA folks are quite vigilant. I'd rather have it that way, though.

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:30 pm

LilyFleur wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:28 pm
Broken Man 1999 wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:26 pm

Broken Man 1999
The Costco VISA folks are quite vigilant. I'd rather have it that way, though.
Yes, they do seem to be vigilant, for sure.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

dollar_elbow

Post by dollar_elbow » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:39 pm

One aspect of BofA cards I don't like is that they do not provide real time alerts as many of my other cards do. They only seem to alert me after a charge has gone from pending to settled, which means I have to reconcile what I was doing three days prior when I get an alert. I found this to be such a useless alert system that I essentially stopped using my BofA cards because I like to know immediately when my card is being used for security.

mptfan

Post by mptfan » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:46 pm

GeraniumLover wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:07 pm
I often get calls or texts for activity on my other credit cards that the issuer suspects are fraudulent. I also get them for charges I authorized that are not consistent with my past transactions. I would have expected that a one-time charge from a web-based business that is a multiple of the normal total monthly balance would have prompted them to contact me to ensure it was authorized. YMMV
I understand, I sometimes get those as well, but the fact that they didn't do that does not mean anything in terms of whether you can get the charge reversed after more than 60 days.

mhalley

Post by mhalley » Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:58 pm

I don’t think the bank is obligated to reverse a fraudulent charge reported more than 60 days later. They might do it, but they are under no legal obligation to do so.
https://www.creditcards.com/credit-card ... t-1282.php
. You have 60 days to dispute a charge.

If you catch a billing error on your card statement, you have the right to dispute the charge with your card issuer, but you have to act quickly. Under the Fair Credit Billing Act, you have 60 days after the bill was mailed to you to report the incorrect charge.

If you miss the two-month window, a bank may still honor your request but you forfeit your right to a legally protected dispute, says Wu.
Business cards do have less protection, to the point that consumer advocate Clark Howard recommends using a dedicated personal cc for business transactions.

Topic Author
GeraniumLover

Post by GeraniumLover » Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:29 pm

mptfan wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:46 pm
GeraniumLover wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:07 pm
I understand, I sometimes get those as well, but the fact that they didn't do that does not mean anything in terms of whether you can get the charge reversed after more than 60 days.
I agree, although I think I may stand a better chance than if they had flagged it and I said it was authorized ;). In any event the fact that they didn't flag it either when it happened or when they were investigating the other fraudulent charges makes it unlikely I will continue with this card if they don't reverse the charge.

mptfan

Post by mptfan » Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:39 pm

GeraniumLover wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:29 pm
In any event the fact that they didn't flag it either when it happened or when they were investigating the other fraudulent charges makes it unlikely I will continue with this card if they don't reverse the charge.
I would have to have more information about the charge to determine if the credit card issuer was at fault for not flagging it. What was it for? Where was it? Was it at a merchant you had used before? Was it in another country?

Turbo29

Post by Turbo29 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:54 pm

dollar_elbow wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:39 pm
One aspect of BofA cards I don't like is that they do not provide real time alerts as many of my other cards do. They only seem to alert me after a charge has gone from pending to settled, which means I have to reconcile what I was doing three days prior when I get an alert. I found this to be such a useless alert system that I essentially stopped using my BofA cards because I like to know immediately when my card is being used for security.
I've had the opposite experience. BofA has been the only bank to stop the charges before they went through. Discover notified me after the charge had been processed as did AMEX.

Topic Author
GeraniumLover

Post by GeraniumLover » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:37 am

mptfan wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:39 pm
GeraniumLover wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:29 pm
In any event the fact that they didn't flag it either when it happened or when they were investigating the other fraudulent charges makes it unlikely I will continue with this card if they don't reverse the charge.
I would have to have more information about the charge to determine if the credit card issuer was at fault for not flagging it. What was it for? Where was it? Was it at a merchant you had used before? Was it in another country?
The merchant is a residential general contractor several states away from me that I had never heard of. The statement also listed part of a URL.

It may be too soon to celebrate but BoA is now listing a credit online for the full amount in my Recent Transactions as “CLAIM ADJ/(merchant name) COMP”, which is reflected in the current account balance. :sharebeer

Topic Author
GeraniumLover

Post by GeraniumLover » Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:37 pm

Just reporting back -- I am very happy to report that BOA seems to have permanently credited me for the fraudulent charge despite my delay in reporting it to them.