Flooring

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
RYD

Flooring

Post by RYD » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:30 am

I am looking at new flooring for a rental unit. The unit is a condo.

We have had carpet but frankly, it does not hold up well.

I am looking at luxury vinyl tile, vinyl, laminate hardwood, and carpet.  Curious if any BH has any experience with these or other floor choices.

There is no shortage of choices in flooring today.

Thanks

HomeStretch

Re: Flooring

Post by HomeStretch » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:39 am

Vinyl and laminated have a longer life and hold up better than carpet depending on your condo location. For example, I would not use carpeting in a condo near waterfront or in a humid area. I personally like real hardwood floors but that might not be a cost-effective option.

Do the condo regulations affect your flooring material choices? I have seen condos with restrictions on non-carpet flooring due to noise-transmission issues.

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:45 am

What about ceramic/porcelain tile? Durable, can be inexpensive.

FWIW, we put luxury vinyl tile in our downstairs earlier this year. Very happy with it.The prices are coming down nicely, so I'm not sure the word luxury should be used any longer. If we buy something, it isn't luxury. :D

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:00 am

RYD wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:30 am
I am looking at new flooring for a rental unit.
Whatever is the cheapest. I treat rental unit flooring as a consumable item and consider myself lucky if it only needs cleaning when the tenants move out. I usually go with carpet for those reasons.

adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:27 am

If a multi-floor building, you can expect complaints from the neighbors if you use hard flooring- even if there is no specific rule about carpet.

Using carpet, and treating it as a consumable to be replaced for new tenants, may be your best option.

In my one (not so pleasant) experience with a rental, there was a vinyl area immediately in front of the entrance door. This reduced tracking of water, etc. into the apartment and kept the carpet cleaner.

Scuttlebutt

Post by Scuttlebutt » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:29 am

What kind of condo is this?
Is it a $10k per month ocean front condo? Or is it inner city area visited by the police often $500 a month condo?

Most of the landlords I know used ceramic tile for all flooring in all parts of town. A few used other materials so they could do the install and repairs themselves, but it was mostly the inexpensive sale tile from Home Depot, Lowe's, or Floor n Decor.

The only other floor material that has a life expectancy (durability) of ceramic tile (or natural stone of course) is real hardwood flooring. Everything else falls far short in life expectancy.

And yes I'd definitely check out condo assn rules concerning sound and flooring.
This doesn't prevent using hard floors. It will raise the price though if you have a nicer building.

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:41 am

Recently put in "luxury" vinyl planks and am very happy so far (only a few months). The problem is that most good looking LVP is not cheap. It can cost as much as a lower price real hardwood. And many of the cheap ones look fake. In a rental condo, maybe that does not matter as much.

Laminates don't do well in some environments - lots of swelling, buckling, gaps and shrinking. If you meant engineered wood, I don't think that applies.

Vinyl planks or tile should last a good while. Carpet is probably cheaper but may not last as long in a rental.

graeme

Post by graeme » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:52 am

There seems to be a big difference between flooring manufacturers. Testing flooring can be helpful. Most places will give you a piece to take home to see if the color matches. I like to perform two tests on the sample piece. First, put it in a plastic bin and soak it in water for a day. Does it stay the same, swell up, or fall apart?

Next, get a sharp screw driver or nail and drag it across the piece. Push hard to simulate something heavy being dragged across a floor. Many pieces will turn out to only have color on the surface and end up with a bright white scratch. A few may have color all through, so scratches won't show as much.

rocket354

Post by rocket354 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:59 am

I'm a landlord and I've had good results with luxury vinyl plank. It's held up, and you can get it fairly cheaply and it can look great, like real wood or stone. Meanwhile, my real hardwood floors are creaking and dented, my laminate flooring is breaking apart, and my carpet is stained and chewed up.

Someone mentioned that the more expensive LVP options are as expensive as low-end hardwood, but the Vinyl should last a lot longer and could look as good as the higher-end wood. It's definitely worth looking into; seeing what it costs you for the appearance you'd like.

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:25 am

We put luxury roll vinyl in our last house. Looked great and was easy to install as it was a no-glue type.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:31 am

RYD wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:30 am
I am looking at new flooring for a rental unit. The unit is a condo.

We have had carpet but frankly, it does not hold up well.

I am looking at luxury vinyl tile, vinyl, laminate hardwood, and carpet.  Curious if any BH has any experience with these or other floor choices.

There is no shortage of choices in flooring today.

Thanks
I was at a luxury vinyl plank store. I was interested in one company’s floors. I asked about durability and she pointed to several samples she said were sed in commercial areas.

I cannot remember the company name.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:33 am

runner3081 wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:25 am
We put luxury roll vinyl in our last house. Looked great and was easy to install as it was a no-glue type.
Did people guess it wasn’t hardwood?

4nursebee

Post by 4nursebee » Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:09 pm

The cheapest laminate installed many years ago still looks new in a rental.
Laminates have come down in price.
The ones with built in underlayment intrigue me.
4nursebee

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:10 pm

Dottie57 wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:33 am
runner3081 wrote:
The printed pattern was slate tiles, it was fairly think and had elevation changes for fake grout lines, etc, but was fairly soft. Everyone really liked it.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:03 pm

runner3081 wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:10 pm
Dottie57 wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:33 am
runner3081 wrote:
The printed pattern was slate tiles, it was fairly think and had elevation changes for fake grout lines, etc, but was fairly soft. Everyone really liked it.
Thanks!

Topic Author
RYD

Post by RYD » Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:38 pm

Thanks to all for the input. Carpet is out as of now. My experience is it does really wear out but rather uggs out. I am leaning to LVT. Is that a roll or planks/squares?

This weekend I will go to Home Depot as well as the Flor store to take a look.

Your comments have been great thanks again

John

HeartinAK

Post by HeartinAK » Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:42 pm

I am super happy with our LVP. I researched the heck out of it. We have 3 dogs and a very wet environment. I went with glue down to ensure it would be as waterproof as possible. Have had it for almost a year and it has been exactly what I hoped for.

Jules

GerryL

Post by GerryL » Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:22 pm

I had LVT installed as part of a whole-house refresh over 5 years ago. I like both the look and the feel -- softer and warmer than tile.
Note, I do have carpeting in other parts of the house.

LeftCoast

Post by LeftCoast » Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:18 pm

Landlord here. We stopped installing carpeting some years ago. We are replacing carpet with "luxury vinyl" planks that come with an attached underlayment pad to reduce sound transmission from an upstairs unit to a downstairs unit. It's waterproof, so we can run the flooring into the kitchen and bathrooms. We tried glue-down vinyl planks, but we had a bad experience (the planks in direct sunlight shrank). We sometimes use ceramic tile in bathrooms and kitchens, but not in living rooms or bedrooms. If you opt for luxury vinyl planks, get a wear layer that's at least 12mil thick (preferably 20mil).

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:58 pm

RYD wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:38 pm
I am leaning to LVT. Is that a roll or planks/squares?
LVT is square tiles, LVP is planks. I know vinyl comes in rolls but I'm not sure that is the same stuff because it could not have a stiff backing.

Mine is backed with cork - I suppose to cut down on noise and cold.