Chase $750 for depositing 75K

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
6d1v7x3

Re: Chase $750 for depositing 75K

Post by 6d1v7x3 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:17 pm

My local branch says that you can't use any kind of retirement fund to meet the 75,000. Do any of you guys know if that's true?

And if that is the case, do you guys recommend that I simply bring in $75,000 and plunk it down into the sapphire savings account? I don't really get how the You Invest system works. I only have an IRA right now. Thanks for any help.

junior

Post by junior » Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:05 am

6d1v7x3 wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:17 pm
My local branch says that you can't use any kind of retirement fund to meet the 75,000. Do any of you guys know if that's true?

And if that is the case, do you guys recommend that I simply bring in $75,000 and plunk it down into the sapphire savings account? I don't really get how the You Invest system works. I only have an IRA right now. Thanks for any help.
I have not done it but people online say you can open a taxable investing account and put it in VMMXX or buy a CD.

smectym

Post by smectym » Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:25 am

Oddly, Chase has apparently reneged on its offer of 60,000 rewards points in return for opening a Sapphire checking w $75,000 min bal (which requirement we met by opening a linked YouInvest account with that balance). All the time limits and requirements have long since been met and I can’t get Chase to either come up with the points or to explain why they won’t. They are radio silent, and if I go to the branch, they refer me online, and if I go online, they refer me to the branch.

I don’t suspect actual malice, just bureaucratic [red tape -- mod oldcomputerguy].

Topic Author
6d1v7x3

Post by 6d1v7x3 » Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:57 am

smectym wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:25 am
Oddly, Chase has apparently reneged on its offer of 60,000 rewards points in return for opening a Sapphire checking w $75,000 min bal (which requirement we met by opening a linked YouInvest account with that balance). All the time limits and requirements have long since been met and I can’t get Chase to either come up with the points or to explain why they won’t. They are radio silent, and if I go to the branch, they refer me online, and if I go online, they refer me to the branch.

I don’t suspect actual malice, just bureaucratic [red tape -- mod oldcomputerguy].
I'm sorry to hear that. What did you put into the YouInvest account? Did you roll over an investment portfolio of some kind? Or did you actually buy stocks through them?

Freefun

Post by Freefun » Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:01 am

Doing a soft pull is a relatively easy way for firms to verify your identity. I have the same challenge opening accounts at almost any bank or brokerage. I need to remove my credit locks otherwise they either deny or delay my request to open a new account.
Remember when you wanted what you currently have?

krafty81

Post by krafty81 » Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:28 pm

This whole thing has been so painful with Chase. My local branch is truly incompetent. They had all kinds of issues opening up Sapphire Checking / Youinvest- that took a week. Now another week has gone by and the funds from Schwab have still not been transferred into Youinvest. Original request was over two weeks ago! How do I complain about this? They keep telling me they are "working on it". This is a large bank, right?

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:05 pm

Swimmer wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:45 pm
I’ve never done one of these deals. Is the incentive taxable? I would assume so—just asking.
Yes you’ll get a 1099 in January.

Invest4lt

Post by Invest4lt » Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:19 pm

I upgraded an existing account at a branch. The whole process took about 5 minutes, including getting a written confirmation of the upgrade and $1000 offer. I was quite pleased with the service.

Edited for clarity.
Last edited by Invest4lt on Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Topic Author
6d1v7x3

Post by 6d1v7x3 » Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:55 pm

krafty81 wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:28 pm
This whole thing has been so painful with Chase. My local branch is truly incompetent. They had all kinds of issues opening up Sapphire Checking / Youinvest- that took a week. Now another week has gone by and the funds from Schwab have still not been transferred into Youinvest. Original request was over two weeks ago! How do I complain about this? They keep telling me they are "working on it". This is a large bank, right?
Are the funds from Schwab a retirement account?

Chesterfield

Post by Chesterfield » Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:09 pm

Invest4lt wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:19 pm
I upgraded an existing account at a branch. The whole process took about 5 minutes, including getting a written confirmation of the upgrade and $1000 offer. I was quite pleased with the service.

You Invest brokerage accounts do quality, but they have to be serviced by a FA or Private Client Adviser so I passed. And yes, retirement accounts are not eligible.
Hi Invest4lt, how did u arrive to the conclusion that Youinvest must be managed by FA/PC banker in order to qualify?

My understanding is that You Invest cannot be touched by FA or PC banker. If you read The term and conditions below the “and” is a bit unclear but it refers to investment accounts that opened and managed FA.

Originally, I asked banker to open YouInvest for me bc of that “and” but my local Chase banker said no one could touch/discuss YouInvest at the banks, including PCA/FA. So he concluded that the “and serviced by ...” refers to the accounts opened in Chase branch. It doesn't mean You Invest Brokerage SERVICED by PCA/FA...

I'm still unclear/unsure so if anyone has some more insights, please chime in? Thanks.

"Eligible Accounts: personal checking, savings and/or J.P. Morgan investment accounts (You Invest Brokerage and accounts opened in a Chase branch and serviced by a J.P. Morgan Private Client Advisor or Financial Advisor)."
Last edited by Chesterfield on Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SquawkIdent

Post by SquawkIdent » Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:55 pm

Freefun wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:01 am
Doing a soft pull is a relatively easy way for firms to verify your identity. I have the same challenge opening accounts at almost any bank or brokerage. I need to remove my credit locks otherwise they either deny or delay my request to open a new account.
What credit bureau do they use?

TetrisCollider

Post by TetrisCollider » Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:53 pm

smectym wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:25 am

You Invest account has to be specifically linked to Chase Sapphire Checking. I've read several reports that people did not get their bonuses because the account was not actually linked (they thought it was). I made sure it was linked when I did this deal and did receive the points with no issues.

TetrisCollider

Post by TetrisCollider » Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:58 pm

Chesterfield wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:09 pm
Invest4lt wrote:

You Invest brokerage accounts do quality, but they have to be serviced by a FA or Private Client Adviser so I passed. And yes, retirement accounts are not eligible.
Hi Invest4lt, how did u arrive to the conclusion that Youinvest must be managed by FA/PC banker in order to qualify?

My understanding is that You Invest cannot be touched by FA or PC banker. If you read The term and conditions below the “and” is a bit unclear but it refers to investment accounts that opened and managed FA.

Originally, I asked banker to open YouInvest for me bc of that “and” but my local Chase banker said no one could touch/discuss YouInvest at the banks, including PCA/FA. So he concluded that the “and serviced by ...” refers to the accounts opened in Chase branch. It doesn't mean You Invest Brokerage SERVICED by PCA/FA...

I'm still unclear/unsure so if anyone has some more insights, please chime in? Thanks.

"Eligible Accounts: personal checking, savings and/or J.P. Morgan investment accounts (You Invest Brokerage and accounts opened in a Chase branch and serviced by a J.P. Morgan Private Client Advisor or Financial Advisor)."
Chesterfield is absolutely correct - You Invest will not be touched by anyone at the branch (FA or Personal Client). You Invest is specifically for managing your investments on your own. We have done this twice (two people in the household) with successful bonus payments both times. Invest4It - it sounds like the deal you were working is a different deal ($1,000 vs 60,000 points/or $750).

Freefun

Post by Freefun » Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:00 am

SquawkIdent wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:55 pm
Freefun wrote:
I don’t know since I’ve locked all of them. The most recent was M1 - I tried opening another account but it failed and they asked me to provide copies of DL and a few other docs. So I haven’t bothered to remove my credit locks.
Remember when you wanted what you currently have?

ChowYunPhat

Post by ChowYunPhat » Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:31 am

TetrisCollider wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:53 pm
You Invest account has to be specifically linked to Chase Sapphire Checking. I've read several reports that people did not get their bonuses because the account was not actually linked (they thought it was). I made sure it was linked when I did this deal and did receive the points with no issues.
TetricCollider, interested in your comment on linked accounts. My YouInvest was direct funded from the Sapphire checking account so assume this implies linked? Curious your thoughts. Appreciate the insights.
A wise man and his money are friends forever...

TetrisCollider

Post by TetrisCollider » Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:01 pm

ChowYunPhat wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:31 am
TetrisCollider wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:53 pm
TetricCollider, interested in your comment on linked accounts. My YouInvest was direct funded from the Sapphire checking account so assume this implies linked? Curious your thoughts. Appreciate the insights.
Basically, it seems there has to be a linkage somewhere in Chase's system - we, as users, cannot see that linkage - even though when we log in we see all our accounts and can move money between the accounts. If you go to DoctorOfCredit site (I don't think we are allowed to post links here), and search under Chase Sapphire 60,000 points topic and then search for a term "link", you will find a number of specific details on this linkage discussion. Here is an example of one thread:
  • "Just a heads up to those intending to meet the $75k requirement with a YouInvest account, when they link your YouInvest account, make sure they link it to your checking account and not your savings account (or any other account you have). I just noticed that the YouInvest account is nowhere to be seen on my Sapphire banking statement, so the $75k requirement hadn’t been met yet even though I thought it had, and I was charged the $25 monthly fee. I called to correct this, and thankfully I’m still a few days away from the 45-day deadline.
  • "They responded and told me that you can’t see the linked accounts online but they confirmed it’s linked to my checking.
  • "Seems like there isn’t much consistency between different Chase phone and branch reps, so I don’t know for sure, but my checking/savings account statement didn’t show the balance of my YouInvest account when calculating whether I had met the $75k threshold for waiving the monthly Sapphire checking fee. The phone rep said he spoke to his supervisor and determined that it was because the YouInvest account wasn’t linked to my checking account (but was linked to my savings account) even though all 3 (checking, savings and YouInvest) visible under the same online login. He said they’re now properly linked and I should see the YouInvest account on my next checking/savings statement. Is he right? Who knows!"
And here is a specific Data Point from me. Here is what it says on my monthly Chase Sapphire statement, which verifies the accounts are linked:
  • Good News. Your Chase Sapphire Checking Monthly Service Fee was waived because you kept an average daily balance of $75,000 in qualifying linked deposits and investments during the statement period.

krafty81

Post by krafty81 » Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:14 pm

No the 77K I am trying to put into Chase is from a Schwab brokerage account, not a retirement account. The clock does not start for the 1000 dollars until the money is the account, so time is being wasted. Frustrating. Both accounts show as established on my app.Zero balance on both. On the YouInvest question, you do NOT need any kind of personal advisor for that, it is self-directed. They tried to upsell me a bunch of times to a managed account but I passed on that.

Invest4lt

Post by Invest4lt » Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:00 pm

TetrisCollider wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:58 pm
Chesterfield wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:09 pm
Invest4lt wrote:

Chesterfield is absolutely correct - You Invest will not be touched by anyone at the branch (FA or Personal Client). You Invest is specifically for managing your investments on your own. We have done this twice (two people in the household) with successful bonus payments both times. Invest4It - it sounds like the deal you were working is a different deal ($1,000 vs 60,000 points/or $750).
I think you’re right. I edited my post. Thanks

jpsfranks

Post by jpsfranks » Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:18 pm

For those who participated in this deal, did you schedule the branch meeting to set things up or did you just walk in?

SquawkIdent

Post by SquawkIdent » Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:50 pm

Freefun wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:00 am
SquawkIdent wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:55 pm
Freefun wrote:
I don’t know since I’ve locked all of them. The most recent was M1 - I tried opening another account but it failed and they asked me to provide copies of DL and a few other docs. So I haven’t bothered to remove my credit locks.
It's Experien.

SquawkIdent

Post by SquawkIdent » Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:57 pm

Looking at the different ways to fund this account. No ACH? What's the easiest way to get money to them and then in 100 days (after getting the bonus) getting that money back?

Topic Author
6d1v7x3

Post by 6d1v7x3 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:29 am

Do you guys think just parking 75,000 here without opening a YouInvest account is wise? I don't have any investments to bring in.

HEDGEFUNDIE

Post by HEDGEFUNDIE » Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:36 am

6d1v7x3 wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:29 am
Do you guys think just parking 75,000 here without opening a YouInvest account is wise? I don't have any investments to bring in.
You might as well invest that money in a bond ETF to earn some interest.

Topic Author
6d1v7x3

Post by 6d1v7x3 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:38 am

HEDGEFUNDIE wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:36 am
6d1v7x3 wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:29 am
You might as well invest that money in a bond ETF to earn some interest.
Will doing that exceed the $1,000 pay-off for 90 days with this deal?

krafty81

Post by krafty81 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:57 pm

The payoff comes after 90 days.

jpsfranks

Post by jpsfranks » Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:39 pm

jpsfranks wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:18 pm
For those who participated in this deal, did you schedule the branch meeting to set things up or did you just walk in?
To answer my own question, I ended up just walking in and opened the Sapphire Checking account with a representative. Was in and out in 15 minutes.

The rep could not assist me with opening the You Invest account (wanted to stay far away from that due to compliance issues I guess) but sent me an automated link to open it and I've submitted that application. The one concern I have is that the link to open the You Invest account was a generic one, no code in the URL or anything, so I'm sort of doubtful that opening the account will establish the necessary checking account link as described above. I suppose I'll call and confirm the linkage after the You Invest account is opened.

Darth Xanadu

Post by Darth Xanadu » Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:00 pm

jpsfranks wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:39 pm
jpsfranks wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:18 pm
To answer my own question, I ended up just walking in and opened the Sapphire Checking account with a representative. Was in and out in 15 minutes.

The rep could not assist me with opening the You Invest account (wanted to stay far away from that due to compliance issues I guess) but sent me an automated link to open it and I've submitted that application. The one concern I have is that the link to open the You Invest account was a generic one, no code in the URL or anything, so I'm sort of doubtful that opening the account will establish the necessary checking account link as described above. I suppose I'll call and confirm the linkage after the You Invest account is opened.
Yes, you need to be sure that the You Invest account is linked to your Sapphire account before funding. I suggest speaking with a rep in your local branch to ensure this happens.

Edit to Add: I recently called to ask why my You Invest account has not yet been activated (the email said it would take "up to 1 business day" to review the application, and it has been 4 business days). The individual I spoke with said their accounts team is back-logged but expects that the approval will come through today or tomorrow.
"A courageous teacher, failure is."

jpsfranks

Post by jpsfranks » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:52 pm

Darth Xanadu wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:00 pm
Yes, you need to be sure that the You Invest account is linked to your Sapphire account before funding. I suggest speaking with a rep in your local branch to ensure this happens.
I had asked the rep at the branch about the You Invest linkage and they were sure that opening a brokerage account online via the link they sent me would be enough, so I don't think he had a full understanding of the mechanics.

I got notification that the You Invest account was opened this afternoon (a few hours after submitting the application online) and I then called the Chase Sapphire checking customer service number and sure enough the new You Invest account was not linked, but they were able to establish the link. So I'm transferring in the $75k now and hopefully should be all set...

bholm83

Post by bholm83 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 1:00 pm

So since this account only gives you.01% APY are you guys just funding it with $75K for 90 days and then pulling your money to get the bonus? Seems like a good deal as long as it isn't a hassle to get your money out...

jpsfranks

Post by jpsfranks » Sat Nov 02, 2019 1:20 pm

bholm83 wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 1:00 pm
So since this account only gives you.01% APY are you guys just funding it with $75K for 90 days and then pulling your money to get the bonus? Seems like a good deal as long as it isn't a hassle to get your money out...
If you open a linked You Invest brokerage account (the complication I was dealing with above) you can put the $75k there, buy e.g. Vanguard Prime Money Market fund and earn a decent rate on the balance while you wait for the bonus (~1.9% at the moment).

dollar_elbow

Post by dollar_elbow » Sat Nov 02, 2019 1:34 pm

I was looking at these offers. They seem good if you are moving cash, but Chase’s brokerage technology is out of date and if you want to do a partial transfer of securities to meet the minimum, you have to mail the transfer form in as it can’t be done online. I found that a little ridiculous for such a large firm.

arf30

Post by arf30 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:13 pm

I wouldn't risk moving securities, only money market funds and cash. You'll avoid the brokerage $75 outgoing transfer fee as well this way.

Dvorak212

Post by Dvorak212 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:51 pm

I did this a few months back and should be getting payout this month for $750.

Also opened a YouInvest account to store funds. Bought JPST ultra short term ETF (about 2.37% SEC yield).

When you open You Invest account, make sure it’s linked. Just mention this to the banker so they can check or link it properly. There’s something else they need to check to make sure the balance in YouInvest counts for the 75k.

There is a $75 fee for ACAT. I would buy something safe like a money market fund or ETF that you can sell for cash without having to worry about market downturn. Moving the cash to another broker down the road would avoid the $75 fee.

Also, just because you have free trades, don’t go crazy buying individual stocks you may regret!

bholm83

Post by bholm83 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:03 am

I’m confused. Can’t I just open the savings/checking account and link it to a you invest account all online? Do I have to go to a chase branch to do any of this?

workoutexcite

Post by workoutexcite » Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:31 am

I opened both the accounts online.

Questions I have :
1. When I transfer money from my Ally account online, will it go to youinvest or sapphire checking?
2. At what time I should buy VMMXX?

Let me know.
Thanks.

Topic Author
6d1v7x3

Post by 6d1v7x3 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:13 am

Does anyone have any recommendations about what to invest in YouInvest?

Chesterfield

Post by Chesterfield » Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:45 pm

workoutexcite wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:31 am
I opened both the accounts online.

Questions I have :
1. When I transfer money from my Ally account online, will it go to youinvest or sapphire checking?
2. At what time I should buy VMMXX?

Let me know.
Thanks.
1. Whatever account # you elect the transfer to go into
2. You can purchase VMMXX anytime but it won't be processed until 4P each day. It's just a money market account basically.

Chesterfield

Post by Chesterfield » Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:46 pm

6d1v7x3 wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:13 am
Does anyone have any recommendations about what to invest in YouInvest?
VMMXX or any short term bonds or money markets ETFs.

Samaitch

Post by Samaitch » Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:02 pm

I set this up a few days ago. It was pretty simple.

- I have existing checking account linked to external accounts for money transfers.
- I opened the Invest account online. Funded it with a few bucks from checking.
- Had them email me the promo code for Sapphire
- had a banker apply the code in person and upgrade the account to sapphire.
- plan to transfer in cash and put it in Invest account in vanguard MM

Transferring securities instead of cash seems appealing but a) there's a fee b) there'should notarized form

Sam H