Turbotax 2019 on Amazon

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Re: Turbotax 2019 on Amazon

Post by abuss368 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:59 am

I would also consider and try Free Tax USA. I used it last year for the first time and was very pleased. Essentially the federal filing is free and one pays for state filings.

Specifically for our state however I was able to log directly online to our state website and file for free.
John C. Bogle - Two Fund Portfolio: Total Stock & Total Bond. "Simplicity is the master key to financial success."

emoore

Post by emoore » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:08 am

jburke wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:21 pm
Can Deluxe handle rental properties - Schedule E?
Yes it does. I've used Deluxe for years with rental properties with no issues.

Zephavest

Post by Zephavest » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:10 am

seymore92 wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:44 am
In the case of roth conversion planning, for example, can you temporarily treat the converted amount as ordinary taxable income in another section of the software, for example as 1099-INT income?
Hi seymore92,

Great suggestion, Thank You!!! that did in fact work, good workaround.

Now I have 59 days to decide to return Turbotax for a refund, I've signed up for the free account at freetaxusa.com but I'm still waiting for their 2019 version release. Regarding H&R Block software, I'm on the lookout for a discount link for their Premium or Premium & Business versions, in case anyone comes across one. In the end, I'll evaluate which program works best for my tax situation, I've been frustrated with Turbotax for a few years, after years of use, so now is the time to see if the alternatives are any better.

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:12 am

spammagnet wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:56 am
RickBoglehead wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:15 am
Also, apparently Merrill Edge offers $15 off TurboTax, although clicking on the "Learn More" link doesn't really give me any information; it just sends me to what appears to be the default TurboTax site without any mention of the promotion.
That's what Fidelity did for me, as well. Perhaps this year's discount deals aren't set up, yet?
Somehow you edited the above to make it look like I posted this, but Ricchan did.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

spammagnet

Post by spammagnet » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:27 am

RickBoglehead wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:12 am
spammagnet wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:56 am
RickBoglehead wrote
Ricchan wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:22 am
Also, apparently Merrill Edge offers $15 off TurboTax, although clicking on the "Learn More" link doesn't really give me any information; it just sends me to what appears to be the default TurboTax site without any mention of the promotion.
That's what Fidelity did for me, as well. Perhaps this year's discount deals aren't set up, yet?
Somehow you edited the above to make it look like I posted this, but Ricchan did.
I corrected my error here and in the original, and apologize. (Not sure how it happened since I didn't combine messages as I did on an earlier one.)

cowdogman

Post by cowdogman » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:27 am

RickBoglehead wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:49 pm
cowdogman wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:05 pm
RickBoglehead wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:27 pm

cowdogman wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:20 pm
I always buy the Home and Business version. Most years I buy as soon as available on Amazon, but this year I think I'll wait. It always drops in price within a few weeks. Plus when I bought it last year it was barely functional--there were so many "incomplete" sections--and the main reason I wanted it last year was for the QBI deduction calculation and that was one of the "to come" forms.
Why? Waste of money to go beyond Deluxe for most.
You may be right, but I have 3 somewhat detailed Schedule Cs, that include depreciation and a home office. I suppose I could try that on Deluxe or Premier but I'd rather spend the extra $30 (over Deluxe on Amazon) and not worry about what I'm missing. Or to put it another way, I'd rather gamble that the $30 extra will result in more than $30 savings--and if I'm wrong, I'm only out $30.

Heading to Amazon now to buy 2019 H&B for $79.
Which is exactly their marketing strategy.
What did you dream?
It's alright, we told you what to dream
You dreamed TurboTax H&B
You paid full retail
You also bought Quicken H&B
And you love that it is a subscription
So welcome to the machine

TBillT

Post by TBillT » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:37 am

I qualified the free Fidelity last year but it took them a long time to offer it, so I bought it too. I guess you can return but I waited a little too long last year.

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:56 am

Zephavest wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:10 am
I've signed up for the free account at freetaxusa.com but I'm still waiting for their 2019 version release.
I was in public accounting for many years and as such used the firms program to file our taxes. After 15 years, I was back in the market for a replacement. Of course I considered Turbo Tax and H&R. I actually entered our tax information (not complex) into both programs in minimal time and to make a decision what to use moving forward.

It was on the Bogleheads that another poster recommended Free Tax USA. Thus I created an account and entered all information. I did not find any differences for our tax situation. I simply deleted and closed both the Turbo Tax and H&R Block accounts and moved forward with Free Tax USA and our state and local online portals directly. Tax filings are simple and minimal time.
John C. Bogle - Two Fund Portfolio: Total Stock & Total Bond. "Simplicity is the master key to financial success."

John151

Post by John151 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:39 pm

Vanguard investors used to get TurboTax at a discount or for free, depending on the size of their Vanguard accounts. When Vanguard dropped that option, I moved to TaxAct, and when TaxAct increased its prices, I moved to FreeTaxUSA.

With TurboTax, you can import your Vanguard investment information directly into your return, while with FreeTaxUSA you have to type it in yourself. Other than that, I haven’t seen any significant differences in those products, so I go with whichever one is cheapest.

changingtimes

Post by changingtimes » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:46 pm

I'm moving to Turbo Tax this year for the first time after deciding that my tax preparer was getting way too expensive and making too many errors.

I did go ahead and get Deluxe 2019 because I wanted to start playing with it, but admit I'm kind of bummed that the retirement stuff isn't in there yet. (Though I'm not loading up the boiling oil and torches :) ).

I wonder what the possibilities are of getting last year's version for download to use to do my tax planning, since there's no filing to be done. Guess I'll have to do some poking around.

BogleFanGal

Post by BogleFanGal » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:00 pm

deleted...posters upthread already asked and answered my original question
"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen." Mark Twain

HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:07 pm

BogleFanGal wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:00 pm
I've always bought home and business, since I work 1099...and it seems geared just to the type of support I need. But I don't know much about Deluxe - any insight on whether it's just as good as H&B? Sure would save me some money.
I used Home & Business for 2017 and Deluxe for 2018. I was not sure Deluxe would be “enough” based on the way Intuit described H&B. But Deluxe handled K-1, W2, 1099, business expenses, etc. just fine.

PatrickA5

Post by PatrickA5 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:32 pm

I ordered Amazon's TurboTax Deluxe + State for $49.99. I decided not to wait and see if Fidelity gives it to me free. Amazon was $20 less than ordering the same product from Intuit - which I've always done in the past. I'll have to remember that going forward.

Zephavest

Post by Zephavest » Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:45 am

Updating the 2019 Turbotax list of Year End Planning functions that do not work, all of these are needed to properly calculate your year end income and tax bracket. Only then can you make your final investments sales, Roth Conversions, etc. to maximize your targeted tax bracket, IF, you are trying to hit things, EXACTLY, like me. Remember, the key driver for Roth Conversions are the current reduced tax brackets that expire in 2025, so I'm simply taking advantage of the sale on taxes the government is providing to reduce the cost of the Roth Conversion. Most here want the discount sale price on the tax software, I'm liking the discount sale price on Roth Conversions.

1) Retirement area not working - will not allow entry of your Roth Conversion (thanks to seymore92's workaround, temporarily enter the value in a 1099-INT)
2) Retirement area not working - will not allow entry of your 1099-R Pension (thanks to seymore92's workaround, temporarily enter the value in a 1099-INT)
3) HSA Account area is using the 2018 limits, this was revised upwards $50 per individual, from $3,450 to $3,500 for 2019. When you entry your correct maximum 2019 contributions it says you have an excess contribution, so you know they never updated this section from 2018. (no workaround, must reduce value to 2018 level)

When I ran error check, it found ten errors, "you must correct entities on forms...", I clicked through each one and none of them applied, more examples of not ready for prime time. Of course your needs will vary based on what forms / information you need to enter, please post any other limitations you find. So you can see in the end, Turbotax is simply reselling much of their 2018 software to get 2019 year end sales and profit, okay, it will let you get ready for 2019, but I still would prefer it be finished before they sell it.

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:50 am

Zephavest wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:45 am
Updating the 2019 Turbotax list of Year End Planning functions that do not work, all of these are needed to properly calculate your year end income and tax bracket. Only then can you make your final investments sales, Roth Conversions, etc. to maximize your targeted tax bracket, IF, you are trying to hit things, EXACTLY, like me. Remember, the key driver for Roth Conversions are the current reduced tax brackets that expire in 2025, so I'm simply taking advantage of the sale on taxes the government is providing to reduce the cost of the Roth Conversion. Most here want the discount sale price on the tax software, I'm liking the discount sale price on Roth Conversions.

1) Retirement area not working - will not allow entry of your Roth Conversion (thanks to seymore92's workaround, temporarily enter the value in a 1099-INT)
2) Retirement area not working - will not allow entry of your 1099-R Pension (thanks to seymore92's workaround, temporarily enter the value in a 1099-INT)
3) HSA Account area is using the 2018 limits, this was revised upwards $50 per individual, from $3,450 to $3,500 for 2019. When you entry your correct maximum 2019 contributions it says you have an excess contribution, so you know they never updated this section from 2018. (no workaround, must reduce value to 2018 level)

When I ran error check, it found ten errors, "you must correct entities on forms...", I clicked through each one and none of them applied, more examples of not ready for prime time. Of course your needs will vary based on what forms / information you need to enter, please post any other limitations you find. So you can see in the end, Turbotax is simply reselling much of their 2018 software to get 2019 year end sales and profit, okay, it will let you get ready for 2019, but I still would prefer it be finished before they sell it.
While perhaps valid issues, I would say that there is zero difference between TurboTax 2019 and TurboTax 2018 (or prior years) as to how "complete for the tax year you bought it for) it is. This is always the case. When you buy TurboTax, whether on CD or download, they update you to the "most current". That doesn't mean "ready for the tax year". If you want "ready for the tax year", come back to the software in early January.

I use TurboTax's prior year to plan my future year. It's a relatively simple matter to make adjustments to fix the new tax laws.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:54 am

PatrickA5 wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:32 pm
I ordered Amazon's TurboTax Deluxe + State for $49.99. I decided not to wait and see if Fidelity gives it to me free. Amazon was $20 less than ordering the same product from Intuit - which I've always done in the past. I'll have to remember that going forward.
And, if you wait until end of December, last year was $20 cheaper - i.e. $29.99 ($39.99 - $10 gift card), for a few days.

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:09 am

Zephavest wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:45 am

While perhaps valid issues, I would say that there is zero difference between TurboTax 2019 and TurboTax 2018 (or prior years) as to how "complete for the tax year you bought it for) it is. This is always the case. When you buy TurboTax, whether on CD or download, they update you to the "most current". That doesn't mean "ready for the tax year". If you want "ready for the tax year", come back to the software in early January.

I use TurboTax's prior year to plan my future year. It's a relatively simple matter to make adjustments to fix the new tax laws.

Edit - when you post something like "Turbotax has DISCONTINUED the ability to do year end planning!!!", you're saying that they've discontinued something that existed in the past. That's simply not true. If you purchased TurboTax at the same time last year as this year, you'd have to compare feature by feature to see differences. In most cases, non-functionality would either be the same, or directly tied to the IRS not releasing forms to any software publisher, thereby making it impossible to setup that part of the program.

Zephavest

Post by Zephavest » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:33 am

RickBoglehead wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:09 am
when you post something like "Turbotax has DISCONTINUED the ability to do year end planning!!!", you're saying that they've discontinued something that existed in the past. That's simply not true. If you purchased TurboTax at the same time last year as this year, you'd have to compare feature by feature to see differences.
I respectfully understand your point of view, and acknowledge every user, with different entries and forms will vary, however, in my case, at your request to "you'd have to compare feature by feature" I've done that. Last year I purchased the 2018 H&B version on Nov 22, 2018 and proceeded with the exact steps I did this week. Last year, on Nov 22nd, I was able to enter my Roth Conversion, my 1099-R pension and my HSA contributions, the same items that will not work this year. This then allowed me do my final 2018 planning, investment sales and Roth Conversions, without a hiccup, this year, for ME anyway, this statement is correct: "Turbotax has DISCONTINUED the ability to do year end planning!!!" - YMMV

gd

Post by gd » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:49 am

RickBoglehead wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:11 am
jburke wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:21 pm
Can Deluxe handle rental properties - Schedule E?
Questions I was asked:

1) Did you have any rental or royalty income and expenses in 2018 for property you own? Says We'll Cover - rental property income and expenses, natural resource royalties, intellectual property. In answered - Yes.

It then tries to get me to upgrade to Premier, saying I'll get every rental deduction I deserve, and it will simplify depreciation and depletion reporting, and show my 2 year comparison. Of course it doesn't tell me that Deluxe will or won't do that. Upgrade within program was $30.
It'll try to get me to upgrade starting when I tell it I'm not deceased since last year.
2018 Deluxe worked fine for my rental property, including correct foreign depreciation rates.

changingtimes

Post by changingtimes » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:07 am

It's not as purty as TurboTax, and requires much more data input, but for year-end tax forecasting Glenn Reeves's 1040 Excel spreadsheet is great:

https://sites.google.com/site/excel1040/home/download

sschoe2

Post by sschoe2 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:08 am

I used Taxact for several years and tried Freetaxusa last year after TA's price went up. I found it pretty easy to use and I had a moderately complex situation last year dealing with my mother's estate, selling her taxable portfolio and IRA, selling the family home with my 2 brother etc. I am planning to use it again this year as my tax situation should be much simpler.

Zephavest

Post by Zephavest » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:51 am

changingtimes wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:07 am
It's not as purty as TurboTax, and requires much more data input, but for year-end tax forecasting Glenn Reeves's 1040 Excel spreadsheet is great:

https://sites.google.com/site/excel1040/home/download
Hi changingtimes,

Thank you for the link, that is an impressive piece of Excel work, I will play around with it.

Voltaire2.0

TurboTax- Always Popular

Post by Voltaire2.0 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:27 am

[merged this topic and its replies into the existing topic - moderator prudent]

Amazon has TurboTax 2019 on sale now with a nice discount.

I paid $69.99 for downloadable Premier yesterday.

HueyLD

Re: TurboTax- Always Popular

Post by HueyLD » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:34 am

Does that include a state?

02nz

Post by 02nz » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:35 am

It says "limited time" but $69.99 for Premier is pretty much the normal "sale" price. It will definitely go lower during the Black Friday deals. You might as well wait as large parts of the software remain non-functional as some forms still need to be finalized and so TurboTax will receive many updates in the coming months.

02nz

Post by 02nz » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:36 am

HueyLD wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:34 am
Premier includes one state of your choice but not e-file for state (e-file is included for federal). At least that's how it's always been.

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:37 am

Yes, that would include state.

For most people, Premier is a waste of money, nothing more than Deluxe is needed, which is $20 less now. Last year, end of December, it was $20 lower still, i.e. $39.99 - $10 cash card.

Here's a thread talking about it. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=294347&p=4829566#p4829566

gd

Post by gd » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:53 am

02nz wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:35 am
It says "limited time" but $69.99 for Premier is pretty much the normal "sale" price. It will definitely go lower during the Black Friday deals. You might as well wait as large parts of the software remain non-functional as some forms still need to be finalized and so TurboTax will receive many updates in the coming months.
"Definitely lower" black friday by how much? e.g. last year, no need for prescience. More interested in Deluxe than Premier.

anon_investor

Post by anon_investor » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:12 pm

02nz wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:36 am
HueyLD wrote:
Premier includes one state of your choice but not e-file for state (e-file is included for federal). At least that's how it's always been.
It never includes efile for state, they usually charge another fee (around $10 if I remember correctly) for state efile, just another way to get money from you...

02nz

Post by 02nz » Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:54 pm

gd wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:53 am
02nz wrote:
"Definitely lower" black friday by how much? e.g. last year, no need for prescience. More interested in Deluxe than Premier.
Def lower because I bought Premier last year at this same price and noticed lower prices a few times. I vaguely recall the best deal on Amazon was $10 lower with another $10 Amazon e-gift card thrown in. Generally all the main variants get discounted.

Not a huge difference but it’s not like the software is fully functional at this point anyway so you might as well wait a bit.

02nz

Post by 02nz » Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:58 pm

BTW if you have Prime slow shipping credits, they can be used for the digital download version.

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:02 pm

anon_investor wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:12 pm
02nz wrote:
HueyLD wrote:
It never includes efile for state, they usually charge another fee (around $10 if I remember correctly) for state efile, just another way to get money from you...
$19.99 to e-file state. I mail it.

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:05 pm

02nz wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:54 pm
gd wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:53 am
02nz wrote:
Def lower because I bought Premier last year at this same price and noticed lower prices a few times. I vaguely recall the best deal on Amazon was $10 lower with another $10 Amazon e-gift card thrown in. Generally all the main variants get discounted.

Not a huge difference but it’s not like the software is fully functional at this point anyway so you might as well wait a bit.
The lowest price for Deluxe last year was $39.99 less a $10 mailed gift card, so $29.99. Last few days of December, lasted maybe 36 or 48 hours. Set an alert with camelcamelcamel.

I always laugh at the people who buy early, pay more, and then complain EVERY year that the software is not fully functional or that it is missing forms. Every year. I wait until end of year or early into the next year.

anon_investor

Post by anon_investor » Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:06 pm

RickBoglehead wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:02 pm
anon_investor wrote:
02nz wrote:
HueyLD wrote:
Yuck, that much now? I used to mail it too. But the last 2 states I have lived in, if you fill in the numbers yourself you can file online for free. So I just print out the turbo tax prepared state tax return and punch in the numbers myself. Obviously my taxes are relatively straight forward.

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:10 pm

anon_investor wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:06 pm
RickBoglehead wrote:
anon_investor wrote:
02nz wrote:
HueyLD wrote:
Yuck, that much now? I used to mail it too. But the last 2 states I have lived in, if you fill in the numbers yourself you can file online for free. So I just print out the turbo tax prepared state tax return and punch in the numbers myself. Obviously my taxes are relatively straight forward.
I cannot remember when it wasn't $19.99, and have been using TT for decades. I have never lived in a state that had online filing for free that I qualified for. :(

anon_investor

Post by anon_investor » Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:17 pm

RickBoglehead wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:10 pm
anon_investor wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:06 pm
RickBoglehead wrote:
anon_investor wrote:
02nz wrote:

I cannot remember when it wasn't $19.99, and have been using TT for decades. I have never lived in a state that had online filing for free. :(
It may have always been $19.99, but I have always refused to pay it (whatever it was). Yes, it was really nice the first time I was able to file for free on a state's tax department website, I know I should not have been, but I was always a little anxious not knowing immediately if my mailed tax return was properly received. In my current state, I had to file an amended tax return, and since I originally filed on the state tax department website I was able to file the amendment online, which was pretty nice... my amended federal tax return was another story...

gd

Post by gd » Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:06 pm

anon_investor wrote:
02nz wrote:
HueyLD wrote:
I print it out and mail it. MA used to have an excellent free online tax submission system; I'll make them process paper until I'm dead in return for eliminating it.

Side curiosity, major tax software vendors aggressively lobby to block that kind of thing.

dual

Post by dual » Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:29 am

phxjcc wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:57 pm
dual wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:49 pm
Fidelity usually provides free downloads of Turbotax to its clients around mid December. Their criteria to receive the freebie are somewhat mysterious but it helps to have a few $100K invested with them.

BTW, TTAX no longer supports Windows 7 :x
WRONG WRONG, AND WRONG!

https://www.intuit.com/support/windows-7-end-of-life/
From the link
TurboTax for tax year 2019 will install on Windows 7, but when TurboTax for tax year 2020 is released, all TurboTax desktop products will cease installing on Windows 7.

Pete3

Post by Pete3 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:44 am

02nz wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:58 pm
BTW if you have Prime slow shipping credits, they can be used for the digital download version.
Wow, that is useful information. I've never found anything that I could apply those credits for so I stopped bothering.

This page doesn't mention digital software downloads as the type of item that you can use the rewards for but maybe TT is special one-off case?

https://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=9433645011

What can I purchase with my No-Rush reward?
No-Rush rewards apply only to the type of items indicated in the offer at checkout. Depending on the offer you can use your rewards to shop for select digital products, including instant video downloads, Kindle e,eBooks, Digital Music, and Amazon Appstore apps, as well as on AmazonFresh and Prime Now. Rewards are automatically applied at checkout.

02nz

Post by 02nz » Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:38 am

Pete3 wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:44 am
02nz wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:58 pm
Wow, that is useful information. I've never found anything that I could apply those credits for so I stopped bothering.

This page doesn't mention digital software downloads as the type of item that you can use the rewards for but maybe TT is special one-off case?

https://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=9433645011

What can I purchase with my No-Rush reward?
No-Rush rewards apply only to the type of items indicated in the offer at checkout. Depending on the offer you can use your rewards to shop for select digital products, including instant video downloads, Kindle e,eBooks, Digital Music, and Amazon Appstore apps, as well as on AmazonFresh and Prime Now. Rewards are automatically applied at checkout.
No it's not a one-off with TurboTax. I've also used those shipping credits to buy an Office 365 subscription (again must be digital version not the physical card, but in either case you have to download so it's the same).

BogleFanGal

Post by BogleFanGal » Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:29 pm

HomeStretch wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:07 pm
BogleFanGal wrote:
I've always bought home and business, since I work 1099...and it seems geared just to the type of support I need. But I don't know much about Deluxe - any insight on whether it's just as good as H&B? Sure would save me some money.
I used Home & Business for 2017 and Deluxe for 2018. I was not sure Deluxe would be “enough” based on the way Intuit described H&B. But Deluxe handled K-1, W2, 1099, business expenses, etc. just fine.
Thanks for responding - what about on the personal income side? Did it handle that well? (example: reporting interest, dividends, capital gains, etc - I heard deluxe requires manual form filling vs onscreen prompts - did I hear that wrong?)
"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen." Mark Twain

HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch » Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:02 pm

BogleFanGal wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:29 pm
HomeStretch wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:07 pm
BogleFanGal wrote:
Thanks for responding - what about on the personal income side? Did it handle that well? (example: reporting interest, dividends, capital gains, etc - I heard deluxe requires manual form filling vs onscreen prompts - did I hear that wrong?)
Deluxe’s interview process (onscreen prompts) was fine. Deluxe imported my Vanguard and Fidelity 1099s perfectly (and I had a lot of TLH and exchanges). I manually entered W-2, K-1s and bank 1099. All the Forms and Schedules (including Form 8606, Schedules SE/E) were completed accurately. Where TT is a bit sneaky is when it starts prompting to upgrade to better handle investments, or better handle business income, etc. when Deluxe handled mine fine.

I did have to also buy TT Business to prepare Federal and state Forms 1065 for a partnership. But the TT Deluxe properly handled K-1 manual input, SE tax calculation (with hitting SS max on a W-2), Solo 401k contributions, and business expenses not reported on Form 1065 (auto, home office, employer 401k).

Zephavest

Post by Zephavest » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:55 am

For those of you that have no laughing matter, critical year end financial decisions, that need some of the information Turbotax provides, like me, I've found a workaround for the not ready for prime time 2019 Turbotax.

Since the 2019 Turbotax 1099-R Interview function is not working, switch to the Forms view and you can manually enter your information there. When you switch back to Interview mode you will see the values appear in their relevant sections and their values now calculated into the tax due or refund. If you are not sure what lines to enter your information on in the forms, just reference your 2018 return for possible guidance for which lines may have been applicable last year.

Don't forget to zero out or delete the 1099-INT's that were used for the earlier workaround.

seymore92

Post by seymore92 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:16 pm

Today TurboTax 2019 desktop (at least for mac) has an update available under Check for Updates. It seems to have enabled 1099-R I think.

Big Dog

Post by Big Dog » Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:21 pm

The reality is IRS released most updates months ago such as tax brackets, etc.
huh? The IRS released official tax brackets just last week:

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-provid ... -year-2020

seymore92

Post by seymore92 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:23 pm

Big Dog wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:21 pm
The reality is IRS released most updates months ago such as tax brackets, etc.
huh? The IRS released official tax brackets just last week:

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-provid ... -year-2020
What they released last week is for tax year 2020. This quote above though refers to the irs release of brackets for tax year 2019

Big Dog

Post by Big Dog » Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:38 pm

oops, my bad. (Time for another cuppa joe.)

BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon » Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:44 pm

RickBoglehead wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:41 pm
There is zero reason to buy anything more than Deluxe for nearly everyone.

Price will drop to around $30 and last year they had a $10 cash card.

I set an alert in camelcamelcamel
For people who taxable account investment, wouldn't they need the Premier version to report it?
"One of the funny things about stock market, every time one is buying another is selling, and both think they are astute" - William Feather

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:26 pm

BogleMelon wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:44 pm
RickBoglehead wrote:

For people who taxable account investment, wouldn't they need the Premier version to report it?
I don't know what "taxable account investment" means.

If you're asking:

If one owns a taxable brokerage or mutual fund account (such as Vanguard, Schwab, etc.), does one need Premier?

The answer is absolutely not. TurboTax Deluxe handles taxable, retirement (both taxable and Roth), 401ks, 403bs, etc. all just fine.

BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon » Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:07 pm

RickBoglehead wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:26 pm
BogleMelon wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:44 pm
RickBoglehead wrote:

I don't know what "taxable account investment" means.

If you're asking:

If one owns a taxable brokerage or mutual fund account (such as Vanguard, Schwab, etc.), does one need Premier?

The answer is absolutely not. TurboTax Deluxe handles taxable, retirement (both taxable and Roth), 401ks, 403bs, etc. all just fine.
Yes, that is what I meant. Thanks for confirming.
"One of the funny things about stock market, every time one is buying another is selling, and both think they are astute" - William Feather