Electric shavers - foil vs rotary

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Cpadave

Electric shavers - foil vs rotary

Post by Cpadave »

I shave daily with safety razor which I like better than cartridge. It is cheaper and feels better. However, it is harder to shave under the nose and chin area without cutting myself. After I shave, I then use a electric shaver(foil type) to quickly shave those areas and on top of my ears (hair grows on wrong places rather than top of my head). I am thinking of replacing my electric shaver. Would a rotary type shaver be better for those areas? Thank you for your advice.
Blueskies123

Re: Electric shavers - foil vs rotary

Post by Blueskies123 »

IMO, if that is all you need an electric shaver for then pick the cheapest of the better electric shavers. I only have a foil shaver so I cannot compare the two.
If you find yourself in a hole, stop digging
fsrph

Post by fsrph »

I'd recommend a Braun Series 5 shaver. Good quality. Look for sales especially around Black Friday.

Francis
"Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get." | Dale Carnegie
Topic Author
Cpadave

Post by Cpadave »

Yes. That is what I am planning to use it for only. And it doesn't need to be too fancy or expensive. I have also only used foil but was wondering if rotary will do a better job at those hard to get areas. And it doesn't need to be very close shave. My current foil shaver doesn't do a great job.
mamboking

Post by mamboking »

I have used both foil and rotary and I have had a better shaving experience with the foil. For me, rotary doesn't get as close of a shave and it really irritates my neck unless I use some kind of preshave.

The one advantage to rotary, however, is that they are much quieter than foil shavers.
Kevin
acanthurus

deleted

Post by acanthurus »

deleted
Last edited by acanthurus on Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

I would guess you'd get a handful of responses, few of which actually did a careful comparison of the differences.

A Google search yields the pros and cons of each, including how a foil shaver is meant to be used up and down, side to side, and a rotary shaver is used differently, and that going over the same area repeatedly yields skin problems. Also that foil shavers give a closer shave.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, EV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.
FreemanB

Post by FreemanB »

I've used both types in the past(With mixed results), but I've been using a Braun Series 7 for close to ten years now. I did the same research as you at the time, and it was the most highly recommended model at the time, and based on Amazon's ratings, appears to still be a popular choice. It works well in the areas you mentioned, to answer your specific question.
atxbkpk

Post by atxbkpk »

Recommend Braun with the cleaning station. You can buy the ingredients to make your own cleaning fluid on Amazon which saves a good deal of money. I switched from a Norelco rotary-type and did not know what I was missing. Much easier to attack stubborn hair.
KT785

Post by KT785 »

FreemanB wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:01 am I've used both types in the past(With mixed results), but I've been using a Braun Series 7 for close to ten years now. I did the same research as you at the time, and it was the most highly recommended model at the time, and based on Amazon's ratings, appears to still be a popular choice. It works well in the areas you mentioned, to answer your specific question.
+1 for the Braun Series 7 (with cleaning station). I've had mine for nearly six years and won't ever go back to a regular blade. I've tried rotaries and cheaper foils shavers and they don't hold a candle to the Series 7.

One item of note though, if you're moving from a regular blade (wet shave) to an electric, there is an adjustment period during which your facial hair/skin acclimate . . . and you likewise refine your approach.

Happy shaving!

KT785
bryanm

Post by bryanm »

Have you considered something like the Norelco oneblade? You mention that "it doesn't need to be a very close shave." I own both the Braun Series 7 and the oneblade, and find that I use the oneblade more, not because it's better, but because it's easier. I tend to skip days, and the oneblade tends to pick up stray hairs better than the Series 7 (which has trouble with longer hairs). It's massively cheaper as well. Perhaps worth a try to see if the investment in the pricier models is worth it to you.
mhalley

Post by mhalley »

With such limited use and the hard to reach area, you might consider using one of the “bladed” electric razors like the one blade. A blade should last a long time for you. I like the more expensive one, but the cheap one works fine, just not as many bells and whistles.

https://www.amazon.com/Philips-Norelco- ... 189&sr=8-5
When I use my regular razor, I use a bic metal to get the area under the nose. It fits better than a regular one does.

https://www.amazon.com/Bic-Metal-Dispos ... 187&sr=8-4
anoop

Post by anoop »

Cpadave wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:06 am I shave daily with safety razor which I like better than cartridge. It is cheaper and feels better. However, it is harder to shave under the nose and chin area without cutting myself. After I shave, I then use a electric shaver(foil type) to quickly shave those areas and on top of my ears (hair grows on wrong places rather than top of my head). I am thinking of replacing my electric shaver. Would a rotary type shaver be better for those areas? Thank you for your advice.
You might have a razor that is too aggressive or a blade that is too harsh (for your skin type). Or your technique/blade angle may not be the best. Or you might need shave cream that provides better cushioning (soap slickness and cushioning makes a HUGE difference). Head over to the forums on badgerandblade.com. I started shaving with a DE about 10 or so years ago, but I have only completely stopped weepers/nicks/rash of any kind in the last 2 years. It took a lot of research and experimenting with different soaps, blades, and 2 razors and a lot of watching videos on YouTube of people shaving. Of course, this won't address the issue of hair on the ears. I get that done with wax at the barber.
beyou

Post by beyou »

After years of using a Norelco rotary, tried a Braun foil and didn't like it at all.
Back to Norelco rotary I went and happy again.

That said if you want a really close shave, need a good blade and Cremo as mentioned above.
If find it quicker and less cuts using Norelco rotary though.
bltkmt

Post by bltkmt »

bryanm wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:52 am Have you considered something like the Norelco oneblade? You mention that "it doesn't need to be a very close shave." I own both the Braun Series 7 and the oneblade, and find that I use the oneblade more, not because it's better, but because it's easier. I tend to skip days, and the oneblade tends to pick up stray hairs better than the Series 7 (which has trouble with longer hairs). It's massively cheaper as well. Perhaps worth a try to see if the investment in the pricier models is worth it to you.
+1...the Oneblade is fantastic and cheap.
maxq

Post by maxq »

I usually shave in the shower with whatever cheap disposable razor I happen to buy, then use a Norelco rotary battery-powered travel shaver to clean up the top of my ears and any areas I missed under my nose. Its quiet, small, runs a couple of months on 2 AA batteries for this limited use, and is also great for travel. It only has two rotor heads, but gets the job done. I think I paid $10 or so via Amazon
CurledMoss

Post by CurledMoss »

I use the razer blades straight edge You can buy 100 pack for less than $10. I figured it clost me less than $5 a year to shave
Last edited by CurledMoss on Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CurledMoss

Post by CurledMoss »

Delete
tchoupitoulas

Post by tchoupitoulas »

I have used both and the rotary used to chew up my neck pretty badly.
CurledMoss

Post by CurledMoss »

tchoupitoulas wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:30 pm I have used both and the rotary used to chew up my neck pretty badly.

Amen only thing for neck is a blade
Munir

Post by Munir »

Foil Braun 7 with cleaning gadget was much better for me than rotary which I had used for years previously. Closer shave and less irritation with foil.
Freddy

Post by Freddy »

I'm a former DE wet shaver who switched to a Braun 7 series a year ago and haven’t looked back. I have many different pre-shaves to get a closer shave, but good old cheap Williams Lectric Shave works the best for me. No more irritated skin like with the DE.
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

I read somewhere that electric shavers might pose a health risk due to electromagnetic force waves. I’m not sure that this applies to only old-school “plug in” electric shavers with a cord, or if this includes today’s battery powered shavers. Is this just internet hype, or is there any truly recognized science that would make this something to really worry about?
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

Leesbro63 wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:03 am I read somewhere that electric shavers might pose a health risk due to electromagnetic force waves. I’m not sure that this applies to only old-school “plug in” electric shavers with a cord, or if this includes today’s battery powered shavers. Is this just internet hype, or is there any truly recognized science that would make this something to really worry about?
There is no science that states this, that shavers cause cancer. No study has ever shown this.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, EV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.
Fletch

Post by Fletch »

Leesbro63 wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:03 am I read somewhere that electric shavers might pose a health risk due to electromagnetic force waves. I’m not sure that this applies to only old-school “plug in” electric shavers with a cord, or if this includes today’s battery powered shavers. Is this just internet hype, or is there any truly recognized science that would make this something to really worry about?
I would go with HYPE! :sharebeer