H&R BLOCK Pre-Order 2019 Software Offer

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
patrickscott
Posts: 64
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:53 am

H&R BLOCK Pre-Order 2019 Software Offer

Post by patrickscott » Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:45 pm

[Link to last year's thread is here: H&R Block 2018 Tax Software Deluxe $18.00 - Black Friday sale --admin LadyGeek]

Greetings,



I just received an HRBlock pre-order 2019 offer. H&R Block 2019 Deluxe Federal for $19.95 Download

Did anybody else receive it?

https://store.hrblock.com/checkout/2019 ... reorderone

I presume that since the address is preceded by https this a legitimate offer.

Is anybody else ordering it now or are you going to wait?

Stay warm!

User avatar
dodecahedron
Posts: 4802
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:28 pm

Re: HRBLOCK Pre-Order 2019 Software Offer

Post by dodecahedron » Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:51 pm

Your link is for the product that does not include a state return. For those of us who need a state return, purchasing it separately can get expensive.

I will be waiting. Last year Block 2018 Deluxe *including* state bundled with Federal was available for under $20 on a Black Friday Amazon deal.

Edited to add: I just checked *my* email. HR Block sent me an offer for the Deluxe Federal PLUS State bundle for $29.95. I will hold off for a better deal based on past history.

Topic Author
patrickscott
Posts: 64
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:53 am

Re: HRBLOCK Pre-Order 2019 Software Offer

Post by patrickscott » Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:18 pm

dodecahedron wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:51 pm
Your link is for the product that does not include a state return. For those of us who need a state return, purchasing it separately can get expensive.

I will be waiting. Last year Block 2018 Deluxe *including* state bundled with Federal was available for under $20 on a Black Friday Amazon deal.
Thanks for your prompt reply.

Since I am in Texas (No state income tax), and since I missed last year's discounted price and may miss it again this year, I'm going to go ahead and order it. (I will uncheck Extended Download Service $5.99)

Have a great day!

User avatar
dodecahedron
Posts: 4802
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:28 pm

Re: HRBLOCK Pre-Order 2019 Software Offer

Post by dodecahedron » Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:27 pm

patrickscott wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:18 pm
dodecahedron wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:51 pm
Your link is for the product that does not include a state return. For those of us who need a state return, purchasing it separately can get expensive.

I will be waiting. Last year Block 2018 Deluxe *including* state bundled with Federal was available for under $20 on a Black Friday Amazon deal.
Thanks for your prompt reply.

Since I am in Texas (No state income tax), and since I missed last year's discounted price and may miss it again this year, I'm going to go ahead and order it.
I might do the same if I were in your shoes. Based on camel camel camel from last year, it looks like the Black Fridayish deal for your product was just $3 lower, not as significant a saving as the $10 reduction we saw on my product at that time.

I like to have the product by early December for finetuning end of year tax decisions. Between bogleheads and camel camel camel, it is usually pretty easy to spot and catch the Black Friday deal on my preferred product.

User avatar
dodecahedron
Posts: 4802
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:28 pm

Re: HRBLOCK Pre-Order 2019 Software Offer

Post by dodecahedron » Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:31 pm

patrickscott wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:18 pm
I will uncheck Extended Download Service $5.99)
Nice thing about buying from Amazon rather than Block directly is that you get extended download for free with Amazon. (Not that I have ever actually needed it, but you never know.)

User avatar
runner26
Posts: 504
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:39 pm
Location: California

Re: HRBLOCK Pre-Order 2019 Software Offer

Post by runner26 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:55 pm

dodecahedron wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:51 pm
Your link is for the product that does not include a state return. For those of us who need a state return, purchasing it separately can get expensive.

I will be waiting. Last year Block 2018 Deluxe *including* state bundled with Federal was available for under $20 on a Black Friday Amazon deal.

Edited to add: I just checked *my* email. HR Block sent me an offer for the Deluxe Federal PLUS State bundle for $29.95. I will hold off for a better deal based on past history.
Hmm. The e-mail I received today was for Deluxe Federal Plus State (the same as I paid last year) and was $34.95. Not all customers are treated the same :confused

User avatar
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Posts: 39415
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:33 am
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Re: HRBLOCK Pre-Order 2019 Software Offer

Post by nisiprius » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:08 pm

Earlier today I received an emailed offer to pre-order H&R Block 2019 Deluxe Federal + State, the equivalent to the product I bought last year, for for $34.95, said to be "$20 off."

Very likely the offer is always for whatever product you previously ordered.

During the ordering process I noticed that it had automatically included the "extended download service," and that I could uncheck a box and decline it, which I did. It also included upsell opportunities for a backup CD, and for "H&R Block Tax Identity Shield," which I did not choose.

The final price charged was $29.95 plus sales tax.

After grumbling for years I decided that in my own self-interests it is probably better to pay ten bucks more and e-file my state return than to print out and mail paper just because I don't agree with their fee. It's always annoying, though, because the software for the state return is never available until uncomfortably late in the tax year...
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

User avatar
runner26
Posts: 504
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:39 pm
Location: California

Re: HRBLOCK Pre-Order 2019 Software Offer

Post by runner26 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:37 pm

For me, it was 34.95 without the extended service and 40.94 with the extended service. :annoyed

GuyInFL
Posts: 244
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:17 pm

Re: HRBLOCK Pre-Order 2019 Software Offer

Post by GuyInFL » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:23 pm

patrickscott wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:45 pm
I just received an HRBlock pre-order 2019 offer. H&R Block 2019 Deluxe Federal for $19.95 Download

Did anybody else receive it?
Nope, but your link worked. That price is good enough for me!

User avatar
dodecahedron
Posts: 4802
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:28 pm

Re: HRBLOCK Pre-Order 2019 Software Offer

Post by dodecahedron » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:35 pm

runner26 wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:55 pm
dodecahedron wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:51 pm
Your link is for the product that does not include a state return. For those of us who need a state return, purchasing it separately can get expensive.

I will be waiting. Last year Block 2018 Deluxe *including* state bundled with Federal was available for under $20 on a Black Friday Amazon deal.

Edited to add: I just checked *my* email. HR Block sent me an offer for the Deluxe Federal PLUS State bundle for $29.95. I will hold off for a better deal based on past history.
Hmm. The e-mail I received today was for Deluxe Federal Plus State (the same as I paid last year) and was $34.95. Not all customers are treated the same :confused
Definitely not all customers treated the same. Textbook example of third degree price discrimination strategy.

But I suppose you could use somebody else´s link to pay the lower price (they don´t seem to be personalized). You are welcome to use mine. I do not plan to use it myself, as noted above.

Another difference in the way different customers are treated: because I live in NY and will be filing a NY return, Block is forced (by NYS law--as are all tax software publishers) to give me free state efile. Since I presume (based on runner26´s profile) that you will be filing a CA return, you will also have to pay extra to efile your state return.

User avatar
dodecahedron
Posts: 4802
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:28 pm

Re: HRBLOCK Pre-Order 2019 Software Offer

Post by dodecahedron » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:37 pm

nydoc wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:35 pm
Here it begins. Bogleheads with multimillion profiles looking for tax software deals.
It is partly the thrill of the hunt, I think.

lazydavid
Posts: 2580
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:37 pm

Re: HRBLOCK Pre-Order 2019 Software Offer

Post by lazydavid » Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:52 am

dodecahedron wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:51 pm
Your link is for the product that does not include a state return. For those of us who need a state return, purchasing it separately can get expensive.

I will be waiting. Last year Block 2018 Deluxe *including* state bundled with Federal was available for under $20 on a Black Friday Amazon deal.

Edited to add: I just checked *my* email. HR Block sent me an offer for the Deluxe Federal PLUS State bundle for $29.95. I will hold off for a better deal based on past history.
I'm in exactly this boat. Got the $29.95 offer from Block yesterday. Checked my Amazon order history--on November 23rd I got Deluxe + State for $18 ($19.80 including tax). So I'll be waiting also.

CoastalWinds
Posts: 566
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:28 pm

Re: HRBLOCK Pre-Order 2019 Software Offer

Post by CoastalWinds » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:49 am

lazydavid wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:52 am
dodecahedron wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:51 pm
Your link is for the product that does not include a state return. For those of us who need a state return, purchasing it separately can get expensive.

I will be waiting. Last year Block 2018 Deluxe *including* state bundled with Federal was available for under $20 on a Black Friday Amazon deal.

Edited to add: I just checked *my* email. HR Block sent me an offer for the Deluxe Federal PLUS State bundle for $29.95. I will hold off for a better deal based on past history.
I'm in exactly this boat. Got the $29.95 offer from Block yesterday. Checked my Amazon order history--on November 23rd I got Deluxe + State for $18 ($19.80 including tax). So I'll be waiting also.
If the email / link that you eventually receive is not personalized, or if / when you see it in Amazon for $20 or less, could you post it on this thread for others to use as well? I have no history with HR Block so I won’t be receiving any deal offer.

Monster99
Posts: 230
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:28 am

Re: HRBLOCK Pre-Order 2019 Software Offer

Post by Monster99 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:58 am

I got a offer for H&R block Deluxe+state for 29.95.
I will wait, as it will be 10-15 bucks cheaper around black Friday...(I also like the thrill of the hunt :D )
Last edited by Monster99 on Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nydoc
Posts: 50
Joined: Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:57 pm

Re: HRBLOCK Pre-Order 2019 Software Offer

Post by nydoc » Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:04 am

If this is the only form of market timing bogleheads engage into, I am all for it.

prd1982
Posts: 188
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:43 pm

Re: HRBLOCK Pre-Order 2019 Software Offer

Post by prd1982 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:19 am

Unfortunately, the tax preparers don't have a discount for buying 2 state packages. I end up paying more for the 2nd state than the fed+state.

hudson
Posts: 2034
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:15 am

Re: HRBLOCK Pre-Order 2019 Software Offer

Post by hudson » Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:23 am

I purchased this product last year at about the same time.
This year, I received my email on Oct. 30 for H&R Block 2019 Deluxe Federal + State...Download. I chose Windows over Mac.

I unchecked extended download; I'll save backup copies on Google Drive and a USB drive.

$34.95 + sales tax...2.45 = 37.40.

This is a pre-order. This product isn't immediately available. It's estimated to release on November 09, 2019.

I realize that I can wait and get it cheaper but I'm ready to run the numbers now.

User avatar
dodecahedron
Posts: 4802
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:28 pm

Re: HRBLOCK Pre-Order 2019 Software Offer

Post by dodecahedron » Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:26 am

nisiprius wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:08 pm
After grumbling for years I decided that in my own self-interests it is probably better to pay ten bucks more and e-file my state return than to print out and mail paper just because I don't agree with their fee. It's always annoying, though, because the software for the state return is never available until uncomfortably late in the tax year...
You could always move to NY, the one state in the country where state law prohibits software publishers from charging extra for the state efile! :D (But I guess it is cheaper just to pay the $10 for state efile fee.)

User avatar
2pedals
Posts: 927
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:31 pm

Re: HRBLOCK Pre-Order 2019 Software Offer

Post by 2pedals » Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:27 am

Thanks for the post Patrick

Just what I needed, federal only (Washington State no state income tax). Good price maybe not the best but who cares looks like it's about within $2.65 of lowest.

User avatar
LadyGeek
Site Admin
Posts: 57711
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:34 pm
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: HRBLOCK Pre-Order 2019 Software Offer

Post by LadyGeek » Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:28 pm

I got the email yesterday for $20 off, $34.95 - deluxe version (same as hudson).

The website is currently showing $10 off, $44.95. Tax Software
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

lazydavid
Posts: 2580
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:37 pm

Re: HRBLOCK Pre-Order 2019 Software Offer

Post by lazydavid » Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:39 pm

CoastalWinds wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:49 am
If the email / link that you eventually receive is not personalized, or if / when you see it in Amazon for $20 or less, could you post it on this thread for others to use as well? I have no history with HR Block so I won’t be receiving any deal offer.
Sure. It was a Black Friday week deal. I think I posted it here last year, I will do so again this year

lazydavid
Posts: 2580
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:37 pm

Re: HRBLOCK Pre-Order 2019 Software Offer

Post by lazydavid » Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:40 pm

dodecahedron wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:26 am
You could always move to NY, the one state in the country where state law prohibits software publishers from charging extra for the state efile! :D (But I guess it is cheaper just to pay the $10 for state efile fee.)
The ol' pay $600k to save ten bucks trick! :D

Voltaire2.0
Posts: 28
Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:12 am

Re: HRBLOCK Pre-Order 2019 Software Offer

Post by Voltaire2.0 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:20 pm

nydoc wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:35 pm
Here it begins. Bogleheads with multimillion profiles looking for tax software deals.
I particularly like the complaints about one version of tax software costing $10 more than another. It's tax software! You use for something kind of important! Buy the best you can and it's still cheap.

User avatar
Rager1
Posts: 916
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:03 pm

Re: HRBLOCK Pre-Order 2019 Software Offer

Post by Rager1 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:26 pm

dodecahedron wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:35 pm
runner26 wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:55 pm
dodecahedron wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:51 pm
Your link is for the product that does not include a state return. For those of us who need a state return, purchasing it separately can get expensive.

I will be waiting. Last year Block 2018 Deluxe *including* state bundled with Federal was available for under $20 on a Black Friday Amazon deal.

Edited to add: I just checked *my* email. HR Block sent me an offer for the Deluxe Federal PLUS State bundle for $29.95. I will hold off for a better deal based on past history.
Hmm. The e-mail I received today was for Deluxe Federal Plus State (the same as I paid last year) and was $34.95. Not all customers are treated the same :confused
Definitely not all customers treated the same. Textbook example of third degree price discrimination strategy.

But I suppose you could use somebody else´s link to pay the lower price (they don´t seem to be personalized). You are welcome to use mine. I do not plan to use it myself, as noted above.

Another difference in the way different customers are treated: because I live in NY and will be filing a NY return, Block is forced (by NYS law--as are all tax software publishers) to give me free state efile. Since I presume (based on runner26´s profile) that you will be filing a CA return, you will also have to pay extra to efile your state return.
I took advantage of the link you shared. Thank you for saving me a few bucks.

Ed

User avatar
LadyGeek
Site Admin
Posts: 57711
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:34 pm
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: HRBLOCK Pre-Order 2019 Software Offer

Post by LadyGeek » Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:25 pm

^^^ Yes, thanks. (This is a generic product offer, not a referral link.)

I'm repeating last year's purchase by going for the pre-order sale at the same price and will regret not waiting until Black Friday.

I retitled the thread to fix the spelling and added a link to last year's thread in the first post.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

mav12
Posts: 62
Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:36 pm

Re: H&R BLOCK Pre-Order 2019 Software Offer

Post by mav12 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:50 pm

Has anyone heard/used this site: https://www.1040.com/?did=197 ?

tj
Posts: 2677
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:10 am

Re: H&R BLOCK Pre-Order 2019 Software Offer

Post by tj » Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:35 am

I unfortunately have to file two state returns this year. Does anyone know which of the big 3 will be cheapest to accommodate that?

Topic Author
patrickscott
Posts: 64
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:53 am

Re: H&R BLOCK Pre-Order 2019 Software Offer

Post by patrickscott » Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:35 am

Once I ordered the 2019 tax software, for $21.60, --including sales tax-- I received this confirmation:


"We'll release the product on 11/09/2019.

Your activation code is: XXXX-XXXX. Use it to activate your software and redeem five free federal e-files.

Once H&R Block 2019 Deluxe Federal is released, you'll receive a download link by email.
Download H&R Block 2019 Deluxe Federal to your computer.
Your credit card won't be charged until H&R Block 2019 Deluxe Federal is released, and we send you the download link.
"

Since I will be able to download the software for only 60 days from 11/09/2019, I plan on downloading 2 or 3 copies to different locations (desktop, laptop, backup drive).

What does 'redeem five free federal e-files' mean? Does that mean we can only download it 5 times or does it mean that we can only submit 5 different e-file tax returns? The word, 'redeem' has me puzzled.

I only need to submit two electronic tax returns.

Have a great day! Stay warm.
Last edited by patrickscott on Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

MnD
Posts: 4345
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:41 pm

Re: H&R BLOCK Pre-Order 2019 Software Offer

Post by MnD » Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:44 am

H&R Block Deluxe with state return was $18 at Amazon on Black Friday 2018 (Nov 23).
That plus all the dishonest marketing from Turbo-tax about what version you need and price hikes moved me to H&R Block after decades using TT.
I'm going to try and time the market again this year to buy at the bottom........ :twisted:

Monster99
Posts: 230
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:28 am

Re: H&R BLOCK Pre-Order 2019 Software Offer

Post by Monster99 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:45 am

patrickscott wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:35 am
Once I ordered the 2019 tax software, for $21.60, --including sales tax-- I received this confirmation:


"We'll release the product on 11/09/2019.

Your activation code is: XXXX-XXXX. Use it to activate your software and redeem five free federal e-files.

Once H&R Block 2019 Deluxe Federal is released, you'll receive a download link by email.
Download H&R Block 2019 Deluxe Federal to your computer.
Your credit card won't be charged until H&R Block 2019 Deluxe Federal is released, and we send you the download link.
"

Since I will be able to download the software for only 60 days from 11/09/2019, I plan on downloading 2 or 3 copies to different locations (desktop, laptop, backup drive).

What does 'redeem five free federal e-files' mean? Does that mean we can only download it 5 times or does it mean that we can only submit 5 different e-file tax returns? The word, 'redeem' has me puzzled.

I only need to submit two electronic tax returns.

Have a great day! Stay warm.
The 5 fed efiles are for separate returns - I do taxes for myself, my brother and the nephew so we use 3 of 5. The state (IN) charges 20 bucks to efile, so that one gets printed and mailed.....

lazydavid
Posts: 2580
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:37 pm

Re: HRBLOCK Pre-Order 2019 Software Offer

Post by lazydavid » Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:47 pm

Voltaire2.0 wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:20 pm
I particularly like the complaints about one version of tax software costing $10 more than another. It's tax software! You use for something kind of important! Buy the best you can and it's still cheap.
We are in agreement. But at the same time, if something I need next year costs $30 today, and the exact same thing will likely cost $18 four weeks from today, why would I not wait to see if I can save 40%? If this year for the first time in recorded history :) Amazon or Walmart doesn't have it on sale, I can always pay the $30.

Monster99
Posts: 230
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:28 am

Re: HRBLOCK Pre-Order 2019 Software Offer

Post by Monster99 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:29 am

Voltaire2.0 wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:20 pm
nydoc wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:35 pm
Here it begins. Bogleheads with multimillion profiles looking for tax software deals.
I particularly like the complaints about one version of tax software costing $10 more than another. It's tax software! You use for something kind of important! Buy the best you can and it's still cheap.
I am using my computer to save the government time and money by efiling my return - They should give me tax software for free...😃😃😃

gr7070
Posts: 416
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:39 am

Re: HRBLOCK Pre-Order 2019 Software Offer

Post by gr7070 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:55 am

jdilla1107 wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:02 pm
nydoc wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:35 pm
Here it begins. Bogleheads with multimillion profiles looking for tax software deals.
I am a multi-millionaire. Last year I ordered hr block too early. I can still feel the sting of watching others get the software for $10 less than me.

By starting to reuse ziplock bags and save bread ties, I convinced myself I made back that $10 in a few months though.
I grew up in a household washing ziplock bags (no dishwasher for a long while, too). While the environmental benefit would be nice, I just *refuse* to do so.

Was reading the timeshare promo thread today, as well. I find it interesting what some frugal folks think is cheap and others frugal - what one finds painful (washing baggies!) and the other therapeutic.

Finding a deal for the H&R program (with rental property) is therapeutic! It pains me the years I procrastinate and have to search a dozen sites and still can't find a good deal.

Silence Dogood
Posts: 1151
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:22 pm

Re: H&R BLOCK Pre-Order 2019 Software Offer

Post by Silence Dogood » Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:24 am

I can't seem to find "H&R Block 2019 Deluxe Federal + State" on Amazon yet.

When I'm able to, I will create a price watch via camelcamelcamel.

aarondearu
Posts: 65
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:40 am

Re: HRBLOCK Pre-Order 2019 Software Offer

Post by aarondearu » Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:41 am

Monster99 wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:29 am
Voltaire2.0 wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:20 pm
nydoc wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:35 pm
Here it begins. Bogleheads with multimillion profiles looking for tax software deals.
I particularly like the complaints about one version of tax software costing $10 more than another. It's tax software! You use for something kind of important! Buy the best you can and it's still cheap.
I am using my computer to save the government time and money by efiling my return - They should give me tax software for free...😃😃😃
Intuit and H&R Block have lobbied for years against the IRS creating free tax software and allowing people to directly efile. Lots of information online.

User avatar
dratkinson
Posts: 4717
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:23 pm
Location: Centennial CO

Re: H&R BLOCK Pre-Order 2019 Software Offer

Post by dratkinson » Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:49 am

IRS Free File online tax return software. Free fed+state+efile if income <$66K (2018 AGI).

I like the OLT (Online Tax) product as it seems to be the least restrictive, and have used it since 2012 tax year.

SS kicked me over the free file limit for 2018TY so paid OLT $7.95 for fed, $7.95 for state.

IRS Free File closed for the season, will reopen January: https://www.irs.gov/filing/free-file-do ... s-for-free



If you want an early product to just run the numbers, can try the "2019 Federal Income Tax Estimator" at Excel1040.com, https://sites.google.com/site/excel1040/ .
d.r.a, not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor, you are forewarned.

User avatar
CABob
Posts: 4773
Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:55 pm
Location: Southern California

H&R Block Deluxe software

Post by CABob » Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:40 pm

[Thread merged into here, see below. --admin LadyGeek]

Today I received an email offering the Deluxe version for $29.95. Is that as good as it is going to get or is there apt to be a better offer down the road. I thought I had paid ~$18 last year but I may be confusing it with the Basic version.
Bob

User avatar
LonePrairie
Posts: 252
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:20 pm
Location: South Central Texas

Re: H&R Block Deluxe software

Post by LonePrairie » Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:51 pm

I paid $26.99 for the Deluxe Federal Only version last year. When I got an email this morning offering the Deluxe version for $19.95 I jumped right on it.

User avatar
LadyGeek
Site Admin
Posts: 57711
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:34 pm
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: H&R BLOCK Pre-Order 2019 Software Offer

Post by LadyGeek » Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:54 pm

I merged CABob's thread into the on-going discussion.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

User avatar
dodecahedron
Posts: 4802
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:28 pm

Re: H&R Block Deluxe software

Post by dodecahedron » Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:01 pm

CABob wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:40 pm
Today I received an email offering the Deluxe version for $29.95. Is that as good as it is going to get or is there apt to be a better offer down the road. I thought I had paid ~$18 last year but I may be confusing it with the Basic version.
I assume you are talking about the Deluxe plus State deal direct from Block.

A number of us (including me) got this same $29 offer for that product a few days ago. Your memory is correct--the 2018 version of this product went down to $18 in an Amazon Black Friday deal. Lots of us are waiting for something like that--though of course, no guarantees that history will repeat.

But Camel Camel Camel does indicate a policy of periodic brief dramatic price drops in prior year pricing patterns. Some of us enjoy the thrill of the hunt and are waiting. Others have been taking a carpe diem approach.

User avatar
runner26
Posts: 504
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:39 pm
Location: California

Re: H&R BLOCK Pre-Order 2019 Software Offer

Post by runner26 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:16 pm

I went ahead and bought it for the 34.95 I was offered since no one here posted a 29.95 link. I needed state and federal deluxe. I remember last year some saying when the Amazon offer came along they called for a refund of the difference. I noticed that my receipt for my purchase this year says
>All sales final. No refunds or exchanges on purchases.<

User avatar
tfb
Posts: 8155
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:46 pm
Contact:

Re: H&R BLOCK Pre-Order 2019 Software Offer

Post by tfb » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:04 pm

Did anyone receive an offer for the Premium & Business edition?
Harry Sit, taking a break from the forums.

User avatar
dodecahedron
Posts: 4802
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:28 pm

Re: H&R BLOCK Pre-Order 2019 Software Offer

Post by dodecahedron » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:16 pm

runner26 wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:16 pm
I went ahead and bought it for the 34.95 I was offered since no one here posted a 29.95 link. I needed state and federal deluxe.
I am sorry you didn´t notice the link I posted to the $29.95 Fed/State Deluxe deal in my reply to your earlier post. I wrote:
dodecahedron wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:35 pm

But I suppose you could use somebody else´s link to pay the lower price (they don´t seem to be personalized). You are welcome to use mine. I do not plan to use it myself, as noted above.


The link was under the word ¨mine¨ in my post. A couple of other Bogleheads mentioned they used it.

gr7070
Posts: 416
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:39 am

Re: H&R BLOCK Pre-Order 2019 Software Offer

Post by gr7070 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:18 pm

Anyone know what the premium/rental property version usually costs?

I received a $50 offer.

User avatar
friar1610
Posts: 1580
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:52 pm
Location: MA South Shore

Re: HRBLOCK Pre-Order 2019 Software Offer

Post by friar1610 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:18 pm

nisiprius wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:08 pm

After grumbling for years I decided that in my own self-interests it is probably better to pay ten bucks more and e-file my state return than to print out and mail paper just because I don't agree with their fee. It's always annoying, though, because the software for the state return is never available until uncomfortably late in the tax year...
Wish I could get myself to spring for the ten bucks to e-file state. Just can't get past paying money to simply convey the return to the state.
Friar1610

gr7070
Posts: 416
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:39 am

Re: H&R BLOCK Pre-Order 2019 Software Offer

Post by gr7070 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:19 pm

tfb wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:04 pm
Did anyone receive an offer for the Premium & Business edition?
$50 offer today. Can't remember how good a deal that is???

User avatar
tfb
Posts: 8155
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:46 pm
Contact:

Re: H&R BLOCK Pre-Order 2019 Software Offer

Post by tfb » Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:20 am

gr7070 wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:19 pm
tfb wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:04 pm
Did anyone receive an offer for the Premium & Business edition?
$50 offer today. Can't remember how good a deal that is???
Not bad if it's the Premium & Business edition, not just Premium. The black Friday deal was $40 last year.
Harry Sit, taking a break from the forums.

gr7070
Posts: 416
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:39 am

Re: H&R BLOCK Pre-Order 2019 Software Offer

Post by gr7070 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:03 am

tfb wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:20 am
gr7070 wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:19 pm
tfb wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:04 pm
Did anyone receive an offer for the Premium & Business edition?
$50 offer today. Can't remember how good a deal that is???
Not bad if it's the Premium & Business edition, not just Premium. The black Friday deal was $40 last year.
It says "Self-employee/Rental. Premium"

I'll likely but it now. That way I can avoid my too common annual, last-minute googling for a decent price.

RubyTuesday
Posts: 251
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:24 am

Re: HRBLOCK Pre-Order 2019 Software Offer

Post by RubyTuesday » Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:59 am

friar1610 wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:18 pm
nisiprius wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:08 pm

After grumbling for years I decided that in my own self-interests it is probably better to pay ten bucks more and e-file my state return than to print out and mail paper just because I don't agree with their fee. It's always annoying, though, because the software for the state return is never available until uncomfortably late in the tax year...
Wish I could get myself to spring for the ten bucks to e-file state. Just can't get past paying money to simply convey the return to the state.
our state has agreement with s/w providers, including HRB, and with the IRS such that the state return is sent to IRS along with the fed e-filing and then irs sends the state return to my state. most S/W providers still charge for state e-file unless you qualify under free file alliance.

vtMaps
Posts: 580
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:05 pm
Location: central Vermont

Re: H&R BLOCK Pre-Order 2019 Software Offer

Post by vtMaps » Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:31 am

I have found discrepancies in what HR Block shows on my screen, and what it prints out. Therefore I do not efile state or fed. When I submit a paper tax return and keep a photocopy I know with absolute certainty what the government receives. If I efile, I am not certain what info is sent to the government. I know that the tax software asks for info that does not get printed on a paper return. Some of that info is sent to the government when you efile.

--vtMaps
The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears this is true. --James Branch Cabell

Post Reply