H&R BLOCK Pre-Order 2019 Software Offer

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
patrickscott

H&R BLOCK Pre-Order 2019 Software Offer

Post by patrickscott »

[Link to last year's thread is here: H&R Block 2018 Tax Software Deluxe $18.00 - Black Friday sale --admin LadyGeek]

Greetings,

I just received an HRBlock pre-order 2019 offer. H&R Block 2019 Deluxe Federal for $19.95 Download

Did anybody else receive it?

https://store.hrblock.com/checkout/2019 ... reorderone

I presume that since the address is preceded by https this a legitimate offer.

Is anybody else ordering it now or are you going to wait?

Stay warm!
dodecahedron

Re: HRBLOCK Pre-Order 2019 Software Offer

Post by dodecahedron »

Your link is for the product that does not include a state return. For those of us who need a state return, purchasing it separately can get expensive.

I will be waiting. Last year Block 2018 Deluxe *including* state bundled with Federal was available for under $20 on a Black Friday Amazon deal.

Edited to add: I just checked *my* email. HR Block sent me an offer for the Deluxe Federal PLUS State bundle for $29.95. I will hold off for a better deal based on past history.
Topic Author
patrickscott

Post by patrickscott »

dodecahedron wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:51 pm Your link is for the product that does not include a state return. For those of us who need a state return, purchasing it separately can get expensive.

I will be waiting. Last year Block 2018 Deluxe *including* state bundled with Federal was available for under $20 on a Black Friday Amazon deal.
Thanks for your prompt reply.

Since I am in Texas (No state income tax), and since I missed last year's discounted price and may miss it again this year, I'm going to go ahead and order it. (I will uncheck Extended Download Service $5.99)

Have a great day!
dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron »

patrickscott wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:18 pm
dodecahedron wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:51 pm Your link is for the product that does not include a state return. For those of us who need a state return, purchasing it separately can get expensive.

Thanks for your prompt reply.

Since I am in Texas (No state income tax), and since I missed last year's discounted price and may miss it again this year, I'm going to go ahead and order it.
I might do the same if I were in your shoes. Based on camel camel camel from last year, it looks like the Black Fridayish deal for your product was just $3 lower, not as significant a saving as the $10 reduction we saw on my product at that time.

I like to have the product by early December for finetuning end of year tax decisions. Between bogleheads and camel camel camel, it is usually pretty easy to spot and catch the Black Friday deal on my preferred product.
dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron »

patrickscott wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:18 pm I will uncheck Extended Download Service $5.99)
Nice thing about buying from Amazon rather than Block directly is that you get extended download for free with Amazon. (Not that I have ever actually needed it, but you never know.)
runner26

Post by runner26 »

Edited to add: I just checked *my* email. HR Block sent me an offer for the Deluxe Federal PLUS State bundle for $29.95. I will hold off for a better deal based on past history.
Hmm. The e-mail I received today was for Deluxe Federal Plus State (the same as I paid last year) and was $34.95. Not all customers are treated the same :confused
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

Earlier today I received an emailed offer to pre-order H&R Block 2019 Deluxe Federal + State, the equivalent to the product I bought last year, for for $34.95, said to be "$20 off."

Very likely the offer is always for whatever product you previously ordered.

During the ordering process I noticed that it had automatically included the "extended download service," and that I could uncheck a box and decline it, which I did. It also included upsell opportunities for a backup CD, and for "H&R Block Tax Identity Shield," which I did not choose.

The final price charged was $29.95 plus sales tax.

After grumbling for years I decided that in my own self-interests it is probably better to pay ten bucks more and e-file my state return than to print out and mail paper just because I don't agree with their fee. It's always annoying, though, because the software for the state return is never available until uncomfortably late in the tax year...
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
runner26

Post by runner26 »

For me, it was 34.95 without the extended service and 40.94 with the extended service. :annoyed
GuyInFL

Post by GuyInFL »

patrickscott wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:45 pm I just received an HRBlock pre-order 2019 offer. H&R Block 2019 Deluxe Federal for $19.95 Download

Did anybody else receive it?
Nope, but your link worked. That price is good enough for me!
dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron »

runner26 wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:55 pm

Hmm. The e-mail I received today was for Deluxe Federal Plus State (the same as I paid last year) and was $34.95. Not all customers are treated the same :confused
Definitely not all customers treated the same. Textbook example of third degree price discrimination strategy.

But I suppose you could use somebody else´s link to pay the lower price (they don´t seem to be personalized). You are welcome to use mine. I do not plan to use it myself, as noted above.

Another difference in the way different customers are treated: because I live in NY and will be filing a NY return, Block is forced (by NYS law--as are all tax software publishers) to give me free state efile. Since I presume (based on runner26´s profile) that you will be filing a CA return, you will also have to pay extra to efile your state return.
dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron »

nydoc wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:35 pm Here it begins. Bogleheads with multimillion profiles looking for tax software deals.
It is partly the thrill of the hunt, I think.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

I'm in exactly this boat. Got the $29.95 offer from Block yesterday. Checked my Amazon order history--on November 23rd I got Deluxe + State for $18 ($19.80 including tax). So I'll be waiting also.
CoastalWinds

Post by CoastalWinds »

lazydavid wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:52 am

I'm in exactly this boat. Got the $29.95 offer from Block yesterday. Checked my Amazon order history--on November 23rd I got Deluxe + State for $18 ($19.80 including tax). So I'll be waiting also.
If the email / link that you eventually receive is not personalized, or if / when you see it in Amazon for $20 or less, could you post it on this thread for others to use as well? I have no history with HR Block so I won’t be receiving any deal offer.
Monster99

Post by Monster99 »

I got a offer for H&R block Deluxe+state for 29.95.
I will wait, as it will be 10-15 bucks cheaper around black Friday...(I also like the thrill of the hunt :D )
Last edited by Monster99 on Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nydoc

Post by nydoc »

If this is the only form of market timing bogleheads engage into, I am all for it.
prd1982

Post by prd1982 »

Unfortunately, the tax preparers don't have a discount for buying 2 state packages. I end up paying more for the 2nd state than the fed+state.
hudson

Post by hudson »

I purchased this product last year at about the same time.
This year, I received my email on Oct. 30 for H&R Block 2019 Deluxe Federal + State...Download. I chose Windows over Mac.

I unchecked extended download; I'll save backup copies on Google Drive and a USB drive.

$34.95 + sales tax...2.45 = 37.40.

This is a pre-order. This product isn't immediately available. It's estimated to release on November 09, 2019.

I realize that I can wait and get it cheaper but I'm ready to run the numbers now.
dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron »

nisiprius wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:08 pm After grumbling for years I decided that in my own self-interests it is probably better to pay ten bucks more and e-file my state return than to print out and mail paper just because I don't agree with their fee. It's always annoying, though, because the software for the state return is never available until uncomfortably late in the tax year...
You could always move to NY, the one state in the country where state law prohibits software publishers from charging extra for the state efile! :D (But I guess it is cheaper just to pay the $10 for state efile fee.)
2pedals

Post by 2pedals »

Thanks for the post Patrick

Just what I needed, federal only (Washington State no state income tax). Good price maybe not the best but who cares looks like it's about within $2.65 of lowest.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I got the email yesterday for $20 off, $34.95 - deluxe version (same as hudson).

The website is currently showing $10 off, $44.95. Tax Software
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

CoastalWinds wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:49 am If the email / link that you eventually receive is not personalized, or if / when you see it in Amazon for $20 or less, could you post it on this thread for others to use as well? I have no history with HR Block so I won’t be receiving any deal offer.
Sure. It was a Black Friday week deal. I think I posted it here last year, I will do so again this year
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

dodecahedron wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:26 am You could always move to NY, the one state in the country where state law prohibits software publishers from charging extra for the state efile! :D (But I guess it is cheaper just to pay the $10 for state efile fee.)
The ol' pay $600k to save ten bucks trick! :D
Voltaire2.0

Post by Voltaire2.0 »

nydoc wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:35 pm Here it begins. Bogleheads with multimillion profiles looking for tax software deals.
I particularly like the complaints about one version of tax software costing $10 more than another. It's tax software! You use for something kind of important! Buy the best you can and it's still cheap.
Rager1

Post by Rager1 »

dodecahedron wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:35 pm
runner26 wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:55 pm

Definitely not all customers treated the same. Textbook example of third degree price discrimination strategy.

But I suppose you could use somebody else´s link to pay the lower price (they don´t seem to be personalized). You are welcome to use mine. I do not plan to use it myself, as noted above.

Another difference in the way different customers are treated: because I live in NY and will be filing a NY return, Block is forced (by NYS law--as are all tax software publishers) to give me free state efile. Since I presume (based on runner26´s profile) that you will be filing a CA return, you will also have to pay extra to efile your state return.
I took advantage of the link you shared. Thank you for saving me a few bucks.

Ed
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

^^^ Yes, thanks. (This is a generic product offer, not a referral link.)

I'm repeating last year's purchase by going for the pre-order sale at the same price and will regret not waiting until Black Friday.

I retitled the thread to fix the spelling and added a link to last year's thread in the first post.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
mav12

Re: H&R BLOCK Pre-Order 2019 Software Offer

Post by mav12 »

Has anyone heard/used this site: https://www.1040.com/?did=197 ?
tj

Post by tj »

I unfortunately have to file two state returns this year. Does anyone know which of the big 3 will be cheapest to accommodate that?
Topic Author
patrickscott

Post by patrickscott »

Once I ordered the 2019 tax software, for $21.60, --including sales tax-- I received this confirmation:

"We'll release the product on 11/09/2019.

Your activation code is: XXXX-XXXX. Use it to activate your software and redeem five free federal e-files.

Once H&R Block 2019 Deluxe Federal is released, you'll receive a download link by email.
Download H&R Block 2019 Deluxe Federal to your computer.
Your credit card won't be charged until H&R Block 2019 Deluxe Federal is released, and we send you the download link.
"

Since I will be able to download the software for only 60 days from 11/09/2019, I plan on downloading 2 or 3 copies to different locations (desktop, laptop, backup drive).

What does 'redeem five free federal e-files' mean? Does that mean we can only download it 5 times or does it mean that we can only submit 5 different e-file tax returns? The word, 'redeem' has me puzzled.

I only need to submit two electronic tax returns.

Have a great day! Stay warm.
Last edited by patrickscott on Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
MnD

Post by MnD »

H&R Block Deluxe with state return was $18 at Amazon on Black Friday 2018 (Nov 23).
That plus all the dishonest marketing from Turbo-tax about what version you need and price hikes moved me to H&R Block after decades using TT.
I'm going to try and time the market again this year to buy at the bottom........ :twisted:
70/30 AA for life, Global market cap equity. Rebalance if fixed income <25% or >35%. Weighted ER< .10%. 5% of annual portfolio balance SWR, Proportional (to AA) withdrawals.
Monster99

Post by Monster99 »

patrickscott wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:35 am Once I ordered the 2019 tax software, for $21.60, --including sales tax-- I received this confirmation:

"We'll release the product on 11/09/2019.

Your activation code is: XXXX-XXXX. Use it to activate your software and redeem five free federal e-files.

Once H&R Block 2019 Deluxe Federal is released, you'll receive a download link by email.
Download H&R Block 2019 Deluxe Federal to your computer.
Your credit card won't be charged until H&R Block 2019 Deluxe Federal is released, and we send you the download link.
"

Since I will be able to download the software for only 60 days from 11/09/2019, I plan on downloading 2 or 3 copies to different locations (desktop, laptop, backup drive).

What does 'redeem five free federal e-files' mean? Does that mean we can only download it 5 times or does it mean that we can only submit 5 different e-file tax returns? The word, 'redeem' has me puzzled.

I only need to submit two electronic tax returns.

Have a great day! Stay warm.
The 5 fed efiles are for separate returns - I do taxes for myself, my brother and the nephew so we use 3 of 5. The state (IN) charges 20 bucks to efile, so that one gets printed and mailed.....
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

Voltaire2.0 wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:20 pm I particularly like the complaints about one version of tax software costing $10 more than another. It's tax software! You use for something kind of important! Buy the best you can and it's still cheap.
We are in agreement. But at the same time, if something I need next year costs $30 today, and the exact same thing will likely cost $18 four weeks from today, why would I not wait to see if I can save 40%? If this year for the first time in recorded history :) Amazon or Walmart doesn't have it on sale, I can always pay the $30.
Monster99

Post by Monster99 »

Voltaire2.0 wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:20 pm
I particularly like the complaints about one version of tax software costing $10 more than another. It's tax software! You use for something kind of important! Buy the best you can and it's still cheap.
I am using my computer to save the government time and money by efiling my return - They should give me tax software for free...😃😃😃
gr7070

Post by gr7070 »

jdilla1107 wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:02 pm
I am a multi-millionaire. Last year I ordered hr block too early. I can still feel the sting of watching others get the software for $10 less than me.

By starting to reuse ziplock bags and save bread ties, I convinced myself I made back that $10 in a few months though.
I grew up in a household washing ziplock bags (no dishwasher for a long while, too). While the environmental benefit would be nice, I just *refuse* to do so.

Was reading the timeshare promo thread today, as well. I find it interesting what some frugal folks think is cheap and others frugal - what one finds painful (washing baggies!) and the other therapeutic.

Finding a deal for the H&R program (with rental property) is therapeutic! It pains me the years I procrastinate and have to search a dozen sites and still can't find a good deal.
Silence Dogood

Post by Silence Dogood »

I can't seem to find "H&R Block 2019 Deluxe Federal + State" on Amazon yet.

When I'm able to, I will create a price watch via camelcamelcamel.
aarondearu

Post by aarondearu »

Monster99 wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:29 am
Voltaire2.0 wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:20 pm
I am using my computer to save the government time and money by efiling my return - They should give me tax software for free...😃😃😃
Intuit and H&R Block have lobbied for years against the IRS creating free tax software and allowing people to directly efile. Lots of information online.
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

IRS Free File online tax return software. Free fed+state+efile if income <$66K (2018 AGI).

I like the OLT (Online Tax) product as it seems to be the least restrictive, and have used it since 2012 tax year.

SS kicked me over the free file limit for 2018TY so paid OLT $7.95 for fed, $7.95 for state.

IRS Free File closed for the season, will reopen January: https://www.irs.gov/filing/free-file-do ... s-for-free

If you want an early product to just run the numbers, can try the "2019 Federal Income Tax Estimator" at Excel1040.com, https://sites.google.com/site/excel1040/ .
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor; you are forewarned.
CABob

H&R Block Deluxe software

Post by CABob »

[Thread merged into here, see below. --admin LadyGeek]

Today I received an email offering the Deluxe version for $29.95. Is that as good as it is going to get or is there apt to be a better offer down the road. I thought I had paid ~$18 last year but I may be confusing it with the Basic version.
Bob
LonePrairie

Re: H&R Block Deluxe software

Post by LonePrairie »

I paid $26.99 for the Deluxe Federal Only version last year. When I got an email this morning offering the Deluxe version for $19.95 I jumped right on it.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I merged CABob's thread into the on-going discussion.
dodecahedron

Re: H&R Block Deluxe software

Post by dodecahedron »

CABob wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:40 pm Today I received an email offering the Deluxe version for $29.95. Is that as good as it is going to get or is there apt to be a better offer down the road. I thought I had paid ~$18 last year but I may be confusing it with the Basic version.
I assume you are talking about the Deluxe plus State deal direct from Block.

A number of us (including me) got this same $29 offer for that product a few days ago. Your memory is correct--the 2018 version of this product went down to $18 in an Amazon Black Friday deal. Lots of us are waiting for something like that--though of course, no guarantees that history will repeat.

But Camel Camel Camel does indicate a policy of periodic brief dramatic price drops in prior year pricing patterns. Some of us enjoy the thrill of the hunt and are waiting. Others have been taking a carpe diem approach.
runner26

Post by runner26 »

I went ahead and bought it for the 34.95 I was offered since no one here posted a 29.95 link. I needed state and federal deluxe. I remember last year some saying when the Amazon offer came along they called for a refund of the difference. I noticed that my receipt for my purchase this year says
>All sales final. No refunds or exchanges on purchases.<
tfb

Post by tfb »

Did anyone receive an offer for the Premium & Business edition?
Harry Sit has left the forums.
dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron »

runner26 wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:16 pm I went ahead and bought it for the 34.95 I was offered since no one here posted a 29.95 link. I needed state and federal deluxe.
I am sorry you didn´t notice the link I posted to the $29.95 Fed/State Deluxe deal in my reply to your earlier post. I wrote:
dodecahedron wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:35 pm

The link was under the word ¨mine¨ in my post. A couple of other Bogleheads mentioned they used it.
gr7070

Post by gr7070 »

Anyone know what the premium/rental property version usually costs?

I received a $50 offer.
friar1610

Post by friar1610 »

nisiprius wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:08 pm
After grumbling for years I decided that in my own self-interests it is probably better to pay ten bucks more and e-file my state return than to print out and mail paper just because I don't agree with their fee. It's always annoying, though, because the software for the state return is never available until uncomfortably late in the tax year...
Wish I could get myself to spring for the ten bucks to e-file state. Just can't get past paying money to simply convey the return to the state.
Friar1610 | 50-ish/50-ish - a satisficer, not a maximizer
gr7070

Post by gr7070 »

tfb wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:04 pm Did anyone receive an offer for the Premium & Business edition?
$50 offer today. Can't remember how good a deal that is???
tfb

Post by tfb »

gr7070 wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:19 pm
tfb wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:04 pm Did anyone receive an offer for the Premium & Business edition?
Not bad if it's the Premium & Business edition, not just Premium. The black Friday deal was $40 last year.
Harry Sit has left the forums.
gr7070

Post by gr7070 »

tfb wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:20 pm
gr7070 wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:19 pm
Not bad if it's the Premium & Business edition, not just Premium. The black Friday deal was $40 last year.
It says "Self-employee/Rental. Premium"

I'll likely but it now. That way I can avoid my too common annual, last-minute googling for a decent price.
RubyTuesday

Post by RubyTuesday »

friar1610 wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:18 pm
nisiprius wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:08 pm
Wish I could get myself to spring for the ten bucks to e-file state. Just can't get past paying money to simply convey the return to the state.
our state has agreement with s/w providers, including HRB, and with the IRS such that the state return is sent to IRS along with the fed e-filing and then irs sends the state return to my state. most S/W providers still charge for state e-file unless you qualify under free file alliance.
“Doing nothing is better than being busy doing nothing.” – Lao Tzu
vtMaps

Post by vtMaps »

I have found discrepancies in what HR Block shows on my screen, and what it prints out. Therefore I do not efile state or fed. When I submit a paper tax return and keep a photocopy I know with absolute certainty what the government receives. If I efile, I am not certain what info is sent to the government. I know that the tax software asks for info that does not get printed on a paper return. Some of that info is sent to the government when you efile.

--vtMaps
"Truly, whoever can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" --Voltaire, as translated by Norman Lewis Torrey