What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part VI

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
VictoriaF

Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part VI

Post by VictoriaF » Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:01 pm

The Laws of Human Nature by Robert Greene.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

Dave55

Post by Dave55 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:23 pm

"The Secret Place" by Tana French, the 5th book in the Dublin Murder Squad series.

Dave

TimM

Post by TimM » Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:39 pm

The History of Jazz by Ted Gioia.
I am an optimist - it does not seem to be much use being anything else. -- Winston Churchill

mak1277

Post by mak1277 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:56 pm

The Secret History by Donna Tartt

wilson08

Post by wilson08 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:31 am

Flight Patterns by Karen White

Fair-to-middling novel about intra-family dynamics, past
secrets, and beekeeping lore. Set in Apalachicola, Florida.

Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger » Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:42 am

The Management Myth by Matthew Stewart

A philosophy grad looking for work after college gets hired by a management consulting firm, and in a matter of weeks becomes an expert in all things related to business.

The Federalist Papers - Alexander Hamilton, John Jay, and James Madison

Dense but rewarding reading.

Theseus

Post by Theseus » Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:47 am

Reality Is Not What It Seems: The Journey to Quantum Gravity by Carlo Rovelli

It sounds ominous but it’s without deep physics or equations and explains such that a layman can understand it. Very interesting book.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:47 am

I'm just starting some of the spy type books by David Ignatius.
He's covered the Middle East and the CIA (among other topics) for the Washington Post, and I only recently found out about his books.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

BalancedJCB19

Post by BalancedJCB19 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:48 am

The Institute by Stephen King

Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples » Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:56 am

Marooned: Jamestown, Shipwreck, and a New History of America’s Origin by Joseph Kelly.

It might seem strange that even after 400 years, the history of the founding of the first permanent English settlement in North America might still need to be told, but the research is still going on, both on the ground and in works like this. Kelly brings forth a complete new narrative of the history of Jamestown and the people who came and those Native Americans who were here. It throws much of the old narrative we were taught out the window and brings the people alive. Most were "marooned" in Virginia, having wanted to return to England, but denied the chance. He also follows in detail figures long forgotten, those of the "lower classes" who are often ignored.

The only downside is the illustrations. Old prints in black and white too small to really see.

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:08 am

Letters and Notes on the Manners, Customs and Condition of the North American Indians, by George Catlin.

The first 2/3 of this book is interesting, with this artist's description of persons, tribes and places visited on the Great Plains in the 1830s.

The rest of the book is disjointed ramblings and rants about other tribes and localities. His paragraph long run-on sentences are very irritating.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

Blues

Post by Blues » Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:17 am

"Knots and Crosses" by Ian Rankin. The first of the Inspector Rebus series.
“Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.” - Sun Tzu | "Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Mike Tyson

mfswatz9

Post by mfswatz9 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:38 pm

I just re-read "The Handmaid's Tale" by Margaret Atwood and am just beginning to read her new book, "The Testament".

Foredeck

Post by Foredeck » Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:12 pm

Just finished "The Big Short". That was a fairly dark book in my opinion..

Now reading "Sailing a Serious Ocean
Sailboats, Storms, Stories and Lessons Learned from 30 Years at Sea" by John Kretschmer.

I'd rather be sailing. 8-)

mak1277

Post by mak1277 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:48 am

OK, looking for a book recommendation...I'm in search of a good, funny novel (definitely a novel, not just a funny non-fiction by a comedian). I love Wodehouse, but not looking for another one of those. My other favorites include Lucky Jim and Straight Man. I have read, but didn't love, Confederacy of Dunces.

Thanks in advance.

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:17 pm

mak1277 wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:48 am
OK, looking for a book recommendation...I'm in search of a good, funny novel (definitely a novel, not just a funny non-fiction by a comedian). I love Wodehouse, but not looking for another one of those. My other favorites include Lucky Jim and Straight Man. I have read, but didn't love, Confederacy of Dunces.

Thanks in advance.
Gentlemen Prefer Blondes] (1925) by Anita Loos.

From Wikipedia: "A blonde flapper named Lorelei narrates the novel in the form of a diary complete with spelling and grammatical errors."

The book is uproariously funny. The story is about Lorelei's travels abroad to improve her "brains". Along the way she meets the Prince of Wales, Sigmund Freud and others who learn more from Lorelei (and her traveling companion Dorothy) than the other way around.

Lorelei Lee is a "dumb" blond who maintains her innocence throughout while, knowingly or not (?), playing everyone else like violins. Even though not classically educated she is much cleverer than anyone suspects.
  • So when I got through telling Dorothy what I thought up. Dorothy looked at me and looked at me and she really thought my brains were a miracle. I mean she said my brains reminded her of a radio because you listen to it for days and days and you get discouraged and just when you are getting ready to smash it, something comes out that is a masterpiece.
This book is one of those masterpieces. Apparently, the real Prince of Wales bought several copies to distribute to his friends and family.

It might be best to hunt down an older edition. Some newer editions have introductions (I've browsed a few) intended to make the book relevant to today, but that is really the wrong thing to do. It is best enjoyed as it is written, for a then-contemporary audience, without a tacked-on layer of forced "relevance." These introductions say more about the introducer, and perhaps contemporary audiences, than about the book! If you can't find an older edition, just read the book itself and skip any introduction until afterward. I think you will better enjoy the book. It will be of interest to look up how the book relates to Anita Loos' real life.

CORRECTION: In the above I originally had "Prince Charles" instead of "Prince of Wales." My mind was in a time warp. Today's Prince of Wales is named Charles. The 1920s Prince of Wales was Edward.
Last edited by bertilak on Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet

Hockey10

Post by Hockey10 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:25 pm

I started reading The British Are Coming, by Rick Atkinson. Just as Atkinson wrote a WWII trilogy, this new book is the first in a three part series on the Revolutionary War. I have made it in the book to April 19, 1775. Paul Revere just completed his ride to Lexington.

mak1277

Post by mak1277 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:31 pm

bertilak wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:17 pm
mak1277 wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:48 am

Thanks in advance.
Gentlemen Prefer Blondes] (1925) by Anita Loos.

From Wikipedia: "A blonde flapper named Lorelei narrates the novel in the form of a diary complete with spelling and grammatical errors."

The book is uproariously funny. The story is about Lorelei's travels abroad to improve her "brains". Along the way she meets Prince Charles, Sigmund Freud and others who learn more from Lorelei (and her traveling companion Dorothy) than the other way around.

Lorelei Lee is a "dumb" blond who maintains her innocence throughout while, knowingly or not (?), playing everyone else like violins. Even though not classically educated she is much cleverer than anyone suspects.
  • So when I got through telling Dorothy what I thought up. Dorothy looked at me and looked at me and she really thought my brains were a miracle. I mean she said my brains reminded her of a radio because you listen to it for days and days and you get discouraged and just when you are getting ready to smash it, something comes out that is a masterpiece.
This book is one of those masterpieces. Apparently, the real Prince Charles bought several copies to distribute to his friends and family.

It might be best to hunt down an older edition. Some newer editions have introductions (I've browsed a few) intended to make the book relevant to today, but that is really the wrong thing to do. It is best enjoyed as it is written, for a then-contemporary audience, without a tacked-on layer of forced "relevance." These introductions say more about the introducer, and perhaps contemporary audiences, than about the book! If you can't find an older edition, just read the book itself and skip any introduction until afterward. I think you will better enjoy the book. It will be of interest to look up how the book relates to Anita Loos' real life.
Excellent, thanks.

Also, the next time I read a book's Introduction will be the first.

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:18 am

Boone, by Robert Morgan.

A nice biography of Daniel Boone, with more emphasis on his wife and family (a good feature in my opinion) than most other biographies of him.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

Dave55

Post by Dave55 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:27 am

"The Trespasser" by Tana French. This is the 6th book in the Dublin Murder Squad series and my favorite so far. I have been binge reading the series, finding that each book is better than the last one, with the exception of the 5th book which was my least favorite story. Tana's writing throughout the series is fabulous.

Dave

Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples » Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:45 pm

Memoir of a Revolutionary Soldier: The Narrative of Joseph Plumb Martin by Joseph Plumb Martin (1760-1850). This book has been in print on and off since the 1800's. It is a journal and narrative of a private's life in the Continental Army; it is one of the few primary sources of information from an enlisted man during the Revolution. Martin enlisted when he was 15 just after the battles at Lexington and Concord and remained a private for most of the war. It is amazing that he survived having seen constant combat for the entire war from the early battles in NY to Yorktown (1781); he left the Army in 1783. He died at the age of 89. I prefer to read primary sources and this one doesn't disappoint. The Joseph Plumb Martin Trail at Valley Forge is named in his honor.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:50 pm

The Genius of Birds by Jennifer Ackerman

Chickadees can stash thousands of seeds around the neighborhood and remember where they are for up to six months. I stash drug store reading glasses all over the house and can't remember where. Crows can use tools better than I can.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

Elena

Post by Elena » Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:12 pm

Stasiland, by A. Funder. If you have been to the Stasi museum in Berlin, you will recognize the atmosphere. It is a recount of testimonies from common people and low-range citizens in politics (former agents and collaborators, a tv personality, young opposers) through the author's voice. Light prose, with very interesting parts: I did not know the East "sold" cumbersome activists to the West.

Finridge

Post by Finridge » Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:56 am

VictoriaF wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:01 pm

Victoria
Victoria,

Is this a book you would recommend?

Finridge

Small Law Survivor

Post by Small Law Survivor » Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:02 am

Really enjoying Education of an Idealist by Samantha Power
68 yrs, semi-retired lawyer, 50/40/10 s/b/c, 70/30 dom/int'l. Plan: 4% WR until age 70, 3% after social security kicks in. Boglehead since day 1 (and M* Diehard before that) under various other names

Dave55

Post by Dave55 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:14 am

"Knots and Crosses" by Ian Rankin, the first book of 22 in the (Police Detective) John Rebus series. All take place in Edinburgh, Scotland.

"The Night Fire" by Michael Connelly is out tomorrow. This is a Harry Bosch/Renee Ballard mystery.
I love the Bosch series and anything by Michael Connelly.

Dave

Blues

Post by Blues » Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:21 am

Dave55 wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:14 am
"Knots and Crosses" by Ian Rankin, the first book of 22 in the (Police Detective) John Rebus series. All take place in Edinburgh, Scotland.

"The Night Fire" by Michael Connelly is out tomorrow. This is a Harry Bosch/Renee Ballard mystery.
I love the Bosch series and anything by Michael Connelly.

Dave
I'm up to date on the Bosch series and just began the Rebus series a week or so ago. Currently on book 3 in the series, "Tooth and Nail", which is the only one that takes place outside Edinburgh, in London.
“Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.” - Sun Tzu | "Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Mike Tyson

MP173

Post by MP173 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:44 pm

David Housewright - "The Last Kind Word".

MacKenzie Rushmore goes undercover to help find the source of illegal guns.

Excellent as always.

Ed

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:49 pm

Finridge wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:56 am
VictoriaF wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:01 pm

Victoria
Victoria,

Is this a book you would recommend?

Finridge
It's a good book, but after I started reading it, I put it aside, because I have more urgent reading. The book is large and has high information density. There is no slack; it requires slow deliberate reading. I am going to get back to it, possibly taking it on a long trip.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

bpp

Post by bpp » Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:28 pm

Elena wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:12 pm
Stasiland, by A. Funder. If you have been to the Stasi museum in Berlin, you will recognize the atmosphere. It is a recount of testimonies from common people and low-range citizens in politics (former agents and collaborators, a tv personality, young opposers) through the author's voice. Light prose, with very interesting parts: I did not know the East "sold" cumbersome activists to the West.
I think Nina Hagen’s step-father was a famous example? Not so much “sold” as far as I am aware, but kicked out of the country and stripped of his citizenship when he became bothersome to the East German state. I suppose that was seen as a less politically damaging move than locking him up.

Elena

Post by Elena » Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:15 pm

This book says that the East was paid to release problematic citizens to the West, and the amount varied according to their abilities and education (a scientist would be released for more money than someone without a degree, for example). It surprised me.

Small Law Survivor

Post by Small Law Survivor » Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:23 pm

Just downloaded audiobook of The Night Fire by Michael Connolly
Seems like these Harry Bosch novels come out every Fall, like clockwork. Good stuff, although I can't remember the differences between the various books. They all run together ...
68 yrs, semi-retired lawyer, 50/40/10 s/b/c, 70/30 dom/int'l. Plan: 4% WR until age 70, 3% after social security kicks in. Boglehead since day 1 (and M* Diehard before that) under various other names

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:17 pm

Old Man River, By Paul Schneider.

This is a history of the Mississippi River and its major tributaties, beginning with the formation of the continents. I grew up in a town along the river, and it fascinates me.

This book is not as good as other books about the river, but I learned some interesting facts. During the 1927 flood, the Mississippi River below Memphis Tennessee was 80 miles wide. When he was Secretary of War in 1854 Jefferson Davis tried to stop the construction of the first bridge across the river at Rock Island, Illinois. Today 90% of U.S. agricultural exports go down the river for export.

FreeAtLast

Post by FreeAtLast » Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:12 pm

"Another One Goes Tonight", by Peter Lovesey (Soho Press, Inc. 2016)

For months now, I have been reading - in temporal sequence beginning with the introductory 1991 novel - all the adventures of Lovesey's fictional Detective Superintendent, Peter Diamond. Diamond operates out of the Criminal Investigative Division of Bath, England and is usually a bull in a china shop in his relentless pursuit of murderers, albeit a brilliant one. I won't reveal much about "Another One" except that it involves the suspicious deaths of a number of mostly nonagenarians who all were associated with a club interested in the history of an old railroad. If you can't imagine how Lovesey would make this plot line intriguing, just read the first 55 pages and I will bet that you will be hooked to continue until the satisfactory finish at page 390. My opinion is that Lovesey's narrative skills have improved regularly with each new Diamond tale; if you are a mystery fan looking for a new hero, I recommend this series to you.
Illegitimi non carborundum.

Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples » Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:43 pm

Fact is always stranger than fiction, there are no neat ends. Colonel Parke of Virginia : The Greatest Hector in the Town by Helen Miller. An amusing little book I finished today. A biography which also provides insight into the lives of the early settlers of Virginia. Col. Parke (1669-1710) was married at around age 15 (not unusual in Virginia at the time; his wife was 14 or 15), elected to public office at 19, a soldier who attracted the attention of the Queen after he abandoned his Virginia family and fought at Blenheim, and a governor of the Leeward Islands who murdered by a mob being unpopular and being accused of debauchery. He had two legitimate daughters, and at least two other children. (Martha Washington's first husband was a descendent of his as was Robert E. Lee's wife. A portion of Col. Parke's land passed to his grandson and eventually was part of Martha Washington's property - dower share - which George Washington administered under the law at the time. Arlington National Cemetery was built on what was part of the estate which originated with Col. Parke; it wasn't until 1883 that the land was formally sold to the US government.)

Finridge

Post by Finridge » Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:48 pm

The Pleasure Trap by Doug Lisle and Alan Goldhammer

This is a book that I learned about in a Bogleheads thread, Any books really change your outlook on life?
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=65332

Recommended, despite some minor quibbles.

Edit: I see one of the authors has a 20 minute TEDx talk.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jX2btaDOBK8

Tyler Aspect

Post by Tyler Aspect » Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:15 am

"This Fight is Our Fight" by Elizabeth Warren

some shocking discovery about the source of corporate profit

Manga series "Ancient Magus' Bride"

subtle and beautiful art style
Past result does not predict future performance. Mentioned investments may lose money. Contents are presented "AS IS" and any implied suitability for a particular purpose are disclaimed.

Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger » Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:02 pm

ruralavalon wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:43 pm
The Blackhouse, by Peter May.

This is a very good mystery-thriller, the first of a series of three. A Scottish police detective returns to his childhood home on the Island of Lewis in the Outer Hebrides to try to solve two murders, and unravels a mystery from his own youth.
I wondered if anybody had read this, so did a search in the thread, a saw your posts from a few year's ago. I just downloaded on Amazon.

Daughter and I are doing a Scotland tour, and spent the last two days touring Lewis, staying in Stornaway. May's trilogy is on sale everywhere, and our driver took us by a number of places in the book including the boathouse where the murder victim is found.

Blues

Post by Blues » Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:28 am

Artful Dodger wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:02 pm
ruralavalon wrote:

This is a very good mystery-thriller, the first of a series of three. A Scottish police detective returns to his childhood home on the Island of Lewis in the Outer Hebrides to try to solve two murders, and unravels a mystery from his own youth.
I wondered if anybody had read this, so did a search in the thread, a saw your posts from a few year's ago. I just downloaded on Amazon.

Daughter and I are doing a Scotland tour, and spent the last two days touring Lewis, staying in Stornaway. May's trilogy is on sale everywhere, and our driver took us by a number of places in the book including the boathouse where the murder victim is found.
I read the trilogy a few years back and found it pretty well done, overall.

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:01 am

Blues wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:28 am
Artful Dodger wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:02 pm
ruralavalon wrote:

I read the trilogy a few years back and found it pretty well done, overall.
I really enjoyed the books, hope you enjoyed your tour.

wilson08

Post by wilson08 » Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:22 am

The Beautiful and the Damned

by F. Scott Fitzgerald

An intelligent young Harvard graduate awaits an inheritance from
his wealthy grandfather but cannot find his niche in the interim.
His pretty and socially ambitious wife is impatient for the lifestyle
of her dreams.
The writing is masterful, second to none, and I enjoyed many elements
of the story(setting is circa 1914-1922) yet it has a grimness and despair
that leaves a bitter taste. The hero achieves a Pyrrhic victory and he
realizes it.

chuckb84

Post by chuckb84 » Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:30 am

Dark Sun, Richard Rhodes sequel to The Making of the Atomic Bomb. Very good, although not as good as TMOTAB. It's incredible how successful the Soviets were in stealing nuclear secrets from a very naive USA.

moshe

Post by moshe » Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:07 pm

wilson08 wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:22 am

The Beautiful and the Damned

by F. Scott Fitzgerald

An intelligent young Harvard graduate awaits an inheritance from
his wealthy grandfather but cannot find his niche in the interim.
His pretty and socially ambitious wife is impatient for the lifestyle
of her dreams.
The writing is masterful, second to none, and I enjoyed many elements
of the story(setting is circa 1914-1922) yet it has a grimness and despair
that leaves a bitter taste. The hero achieves a Pyrrhic victory and he
realizes it.
+1

I'd also like to suggest Tender Is the Night as a worthwhile investment of time.
My money has no emotions. ~Moshe | | I'm the world's greatest expert on my own opinion. ~Bruce Williams

Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples » Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:24 am

Found a copy of Letters of a Diplomat's Wife 1883-1900 by Mary Alsop King Waddington. Frankly, I did not know who she or her husband were. For fans of Downton Abby, Mrs. Waddington moved in the circles the Dowager moved in; its another world of banquets, gowns and coronations. Mary Waddington was an American who was married to a French Prime Minister who was later the French Ambassador to London. These are letters, not recollections and so provide an immediate and first hand account of life among the ruling classes then. Its chatty and gossipy if one goes for that sort of thing in first hand accounts. And it captures the lost art of letter writing when people wrote thousands of them over their lifetime. It also has things which were not amusing at the time, but now seem a bit funny, such as when traveling to the coronation of Alexander III of Russia, the Russians were playing "Die Wacht am Reim" instead of the "La Marseillaise." The French withdrew into their carriage.

(For fans of the movie Casablanca, there was a famous scene where the Germans were singing "Die Wacht am Reim" and then were drowned out by the "La Marseillaise.")

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:17 pm

chuckb84 wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:30 am
Dark Sun, Richard Rhodes sequel to The Making of the Atomic Bomb. Very good, although not as good as TMOTAB. It's incredible how successful the Soviets were in stealing nuclear secrets from a very naive USA.
You might be interested in Atom Bombs: The Top Secret Inside Story of Little Boy and Fat Man by John Coster-Mullen, which I’m currently reading. Mr. Coster-Mullen is a truck driver from Wisconsin who reverse-engineered the bombs dropped on Japan, without actually building them of course!
https://www.amazon.com/Atom-Bombs-Secre ... 168&sr=8-1

Here’s a New Yorker article about him.
https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2008 ... tomic-john
Formula for success: rise early, work hard, strike oil. — J. Paul Getty

birnhamwood

Post by birnhamwood » Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:10 pm

Long Way Home by Cameron Douglas (Michael's son) --- Interesting book. Much more than a Hollywood celebrity story. It focuses on his lifelong drug addiction (since age 11) and his eight years in prison. You wonder how a human being can sink so low.

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:20 pm

chuckb84 wrote:
They were going to figure it out anyway, their stealing of our secrets just accelerated it. It’s not that hard to build them, the hard part is acquiring enough fissile material to create a critical mass.
Formula for success: rise early, work hard, strike oil. — J. Paul Getty

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:34 am

Nicolas wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:20 pm
chuckb84 wrote:
They were going to figure it out anyway, their stealing of our secrets just accelerated it. It’s not that hard to build them, the hard part is acquiring enough fissile material to create a critical mass.
Gaining time is a big benefit. Losing time is a big loss. The Soviets stole TIME from us.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet

Elsebet

Post by Elsebet » Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:26 pm

"The Girl Next Door" by Jack Ketchum. Only about 70 pages in and it reminds me of Stand By Me so far.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca

Texanbybirth

Post by Texanbybirth » Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:22 pm

Just finished reading "Father Elijah" by Michael D O'Brien. What a great apocalyptic novel, and I'm excited to read something else by him.

Also listening to "Mere Christianity" on audiobook via Hoopla while I discern my next read, but I've only got about 2 more commutes to decide!
Old Tom Bombadil is a merry fellow, | Bright blue his jacket is, and his boots are yellow. | None has ever caught him yet, for Tom, he is the master: | His songs are stronger songs, and his feet are faster.