BRK-A or BRK-B for our grandchildren?

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Post Reply
Topic Author
teelainen
Posts: 168
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:17 am

BRK-A or BRK-B for our grandchildren?

Post by teelainen » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:35 pm

We are thinking about buying some Berkshire Hathaway stock for our grandchildren. They love Warren Buffett and love watching his videos on YouTube. They are still young right now, so they can't own stock in their own name yet. But we can buy stocks on their behalf through a custodial account.

Should we buy them fractional shares of BRK-A ?

Or should we buy them entire shares of BRK-B ?

Big Dog
Posts: 1511
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:12 pm

Re: BRK-A or BRK-B for our grandchildren?

Post by Big Dog » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:56 pm

to my knowledge, you cannot purchase fractional shares of A, so I'd purchase B-shares.

That being said, I've been a BRK shareholder for 40+ years, but would not recommend purchasing it today. IMO, BRK has just grown too large to beat the market. Any value play that Warren could find is too just small to move the needle on BRK share price.

The correct answer is give them the boring Total Stock market, but in full disclosure, I got my kids interested in investing by giving them a few shares of Disney years ago. They loved the annual reports, which had pop-outs of upcoming movies. Perhaps one of FAANG?

mhalley
Posts: 7523
Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:02 am

Re: BRK-A or BRK-B for our grandchildren?

Post by mhalley » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:59 pm

I won’t get into a discussion about whether buying brk is a good idea. In the overall scheme of things, it doesn’t matter, but it might seem more gratifying to a child to own multiple shares of something as opposed to owning less than one share.

magicrat
Posts: 762
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:04 pm

Re: BRK-A or BRK-B for our grandchildren?

Post by magicrat » Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:39 am

If they love Buffet then they should follow his advice and invest in a low-cost S&P500 index fund.

dhuser
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:59 am

Re: BRK-A or BRK-B for our grandchildren?

Post by dhuser » Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:34 am

I doubt that the return is as important as getting them interested in long-term investing, so buying shares would go a long way into preparing them for the road ahead. That said, maybe buy both Berkshire stock and ETFs of either VTI or VOO (Total Stock Market or SP 500). That way they have both the stock that interests them, and a solid baseline for annual comparisons, which hopefully steers them towards becoming the sensible ("boglehead"-ish) investors as Buffett recommends.

schooner
Posts: 273
Joined: Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:27 am

Re: BRK-A or BRK-B for our grandchildren?

Post by schooner » Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:47 am

Other than price, there are two main differences between A and B:

1) A can be converted into B shares but not the other way around. This means that B can trade at a discount but rarely a premium (due to arbitrage)

2) A has greater voting rights than B.

So if you have $300k burning a hole in your pocket and enjoy voting, A may be the way to go ;-)

And of note, I don't think you get either of these benefits if you purchase a fractional share of A through one of those brokerages that offer fractional share investing. I think the shareholder of record is actually the broker.

Edit: Regarding the B discount, it's not that great. Since B's inception in 1996, the difference in total return has just been 0.14%! So really the exact same thing.
Last edited by schooner on Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
msi
Posts: 522
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:15 pm

Re: BRK-A or BRK-B for our grandchildren?

Post by msi » Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:57 am

Buy a single share of BRK.B for the sake of their interest in Buffett, and then put the rest of the investment into VTI.

It's great that they're interested in this at such a young age.

Ferdinand2014
Posts: 748
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:49 pm

Re: BRK-A or BRK-B for our grandchildren?

Post by Ferdinand2014 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:57 am

I’d say go ahead as a fun introduction to investing. I’d keep the amount smallish. The rest of any serious money I’d put into an S&P 500 index fund. Then I’d have them read his 2013 and 2017 shareholder letters. 2013 (page 20) describes his estate for his wife - 10% in short term treasuries and 90% in a S&P 500 index fund. The 2017 letter starting on page 10 is a full review of the ‘bet’ he made with a hedge fund manager that a simple S&P 500 index fund would beat the pants off them which took place from 2007-2017. Of course it did - with the winnings going to charity. In fact I would have them read every shareholder letter. They are full of business and investing lessons in very readable form.


http://www.berkshirehathaway.com/letters/2017ltr.pdf


http://www.berkshirehathaway.com/letters/2013ltr.pdf


http://www.berkshirehathaway.com/letters/letters.html


http://www.berkshirehathaway.com/
“You only find out who is swimming naked when the tide goes out.“ — Warren Buffett

Call_Me_Op
Posts: 7373
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:57 pm
Location: Milky Way

Re: BRK-A or BRK-B for our grandchildren?

Post by Call_Me_Op » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:37 am

magicrat wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:39 am
If they love Buffet then they should follow his advice and invest in a low-cost S&P500 index fund.
+1
Best regards, -Op | | "In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity." Einstein

User avatar
vineviz
Posts: 5391
Joined: Tue May 15, 2018 1:55 pm

Re: BRK-A or BRK-B for our grandchildren?

Post by vineviz » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:47 am

msi wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:57 am
Buy a single share of BRK.B for the sake of their interest in Buffett, and then put the rest of the investment into VTI.

It's great that they're interested in this at such a young age.
This plan will almost certainly have the added advantage of illustrating, in a very concrete way, the folly of investing based on personality and hero-worship instead of using a dispassionate process.
"Far more money has been lost by investors preparing for corrections than has been lost in corrections themselves." ~~ Peter Lynch

Topic Author
teelainen
Posts: 168
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:17 am

Re: BRK-A or BRK-B for our grandchildren?

Post by teelainen » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:55 am

msi wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:57 am
It's great that they're interested in this at such a young age.
It all started when the grandkids watched CNBC and saw that Warren Buffett ate at McDonald's every morning and drank 5 cans of Coke everyday.

User avatar
TomatoTomahto
Posts: 9407
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:48 pm

Re: BRK-A or BRK-B for our grandchildren?

Post by TomatoTomahto » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:01 am

teelainen wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:55 am
msi wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:57 am
It's great that they're interested in this at such a young age.
It all started when the grandkids watched CNBC and saw that Warren Buffett ate at McDonald's every morning and drank 5 cans of Coke everyday.
And, apparently he has influenced his friend and bridge partner Bill Gates. I couldn’t help noticing the Coke cans in many scenes of Inside Bill's Brain: Decoding Bill Gates. Interesting documentary btw, on Netflix.
Okay, I get it; I won't be political or controversial. The Earth is flat.

tj
Posts: 2603
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:10 am

Re: BRK-A or BRK-B for our grandchildren?

Post by tj » Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:09 am

Big Dog wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:56 pm
to my knowledge, you cannot purchase fractional shares of A, so I'd purchase B-shares.

That being said, I've been a BRK shareholder for 40+ years, but would not recommend purchasing it today. IMO, BRK has just grown too large to beat the market. Any value play that Warren could find is too just small to move the needle on BRK share price.

The correct answer is give them the boring Total Stock market, but in full disclosure, I got my kids interested in investing by giving them a few shares of Disney years ago. They loved the annual reports, which had pop-outs of upcoming movies. Perhaps one of FAANG?
What about for tax efficiency? If you're trying to manage your taxable income, BRK seems like a good enough holding.

ScubaHogg
Posts: 92
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:02 pm

Re: BRK-A or BRK-B for our grandchildren?

Post by ScubaHogg » Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:41 am

vineviz wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:47 am
msi wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:57 am
Buy a single share of BRK.B for the sake of their interest in Buffett, and then put the rest of the investment into VTI.

It's great that they're interested in this at such a young age.
This plan will almost certainly have the added advantage of illustrating, in a very concrete way, the folly of investing based on personality and hero-worship instead of using a dispassionate process.
It might not be perfect, but BRK hasn't been a disaster for basically anyone. I'd hardly call it folly.

User avatar
vineviz
Posts: 5391
Joined: Tue May 15, 2018 1:55 pm

Re: BRK-A or BRK-B for our grandchildren?

Post by vineviz » Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:44 am

ScubaHogg wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:41 am
vineviz wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:47 am
msi wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:57 am
Buy a single share of BRK.B for the sake of their interest in Buffett, and then put the rest of the investment into VTI.

It's great that they're interested in this at such a young age.
This plan will almost certainly have the added advantage of illustrating, in a very concrete way, the folly of investing based on personality and hero-worship instead of using a dispassionate process.
It might not be perfect, but BRK hasn't been a disaster for basically anyone. I'd hardly call it folly.
It’s a single stock with considerable manager risk: aside from folly, I don’t know what to call it.
"Far more money has been lost by investors preparing for corrections than has been lost in corrections themselves." ~~ Peter Lynch

User avatar
arcticpineapplecorp.
Posts: 4431
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:22 pm

Re: BRK-A or BRK-B for our grandchildren?

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:41 pm

teelainen wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:55 am
msi wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:57 am
It's great that they're interested in this at such a young age.
It all started when the grandkids watched CNBC and saw that Warren Buffett ate at McDonald's every morning and drank 5 cans of Coke everyday.
It doesn't appear that Berkshire Hathaway even own McDonalds or Coca Cola stock anymore:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_a ... e_Hathaway

This article says his McD's shares were sold off by 1998:

http://www.thecompoundinvestor.com/warr ... nvestment/

Berkshire's 2017 annual report doesn't list McD's or Coke among its holdings (page 142 of 148):
http://www.annualreports.com/HostedData ... A_2017.pdf

Here's the thing:
Your grandkids can own Berkshire Hathaway, and McDonald's and Coca Cola by owning Vanguard's Total Stock Market Index Fund (and 3588 other companies):

https://investor.vanguard.com/mutual-fu ... view/vtsax

Berkshire's the 6 largest holding of the Total Stock Market Index Fund.
"May you live as long as you want and never want as long as you live" -- Irish Blessing | "Invest we must" -- Jack Bogle

User avatar
1789
Posts: 178
Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:31 pm
Location: OR

Re: BRK-A or BRK-B for our grandchildren?

Post by 1789 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:43 pm

Call_Me_Op wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:37 am
magicrat wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:39 am
If they love Buffet then they should follow his advice and invest in a low-cost S&P500 index fund.
+2
"My conscience wants vegetarianism to win over the world. And my subconscious is yearning for a piece of juicy meat. But what do i want?" (Andrei Tarkovsky)

User avatar
Rainier
Posts: 1444
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:59 am

Re: BRK-A or BRK-B for our grandchildren?

Post by Rainier » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:54 pm

arcticpineapplecorp. wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:41 pm
teelainen wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:55 am
msi wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:57 am
It's great that they're interested in this at such a young age.
It all started when the grandkids watched CNBC and saw that Warren Buffett ate at McDonald's every morning and drank 5 cans of Coke everyday.
It doesn't appear that Berkshire Hathaway even own McDonalds or Coca Cola stock anymore:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_a ... e_Hathaway

This article says his McD's shares were sold off by 1998:

http://www.thecompoundinvestor.com/warr ... nvestment/

Berkshire's 2017 annual report doesn't list McD's or Coke among its holdings (page 142 of 148):
http://www.annualreports.com/HostedData ... A_2017.pdf

Here's the thing:
Your grandkids can own Berkshire Hathaway, and McDonald's and Coca Cola by owning Vanguard's Total Stock Market Index Fund (and 3588 other companies):

https://investor.vanguard.com/mutual-fu ... view/vtsax

Berkshire's the 6 largest holding of the Total Stock Market Index Fund.
No. BRK owns a boatload of Coke. It's a permanent holding that Buffett would never sell.

If you think BRK has single stock risk like any other company you don't fully understand what it is.

Can somebody show me the difference in voting rights between A and B shares? I don't believe there is any special right with A shares outside of a fixed ratio of 1 to 1,500

illumination
Posts: 207
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:13 pm

Re: BRK-A or BRK-B for our grandchildren?

Post by illumination » Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:06 pm

I really think Berkshire at this point is no different than chasing a mutual fund that had a star manager decades ago who at this point is largely a figure head and probably not going to be on this Earth in a few years.

I know Berkshire is stock in a company and not an actively managed mutual fund, but you're essentially making the same sort of bet.

What is the stock going to do when Warren Buffet is dead? A lot of what propels Berkshire is the cult of personality, it's just going to be background noise when that's gone.

I would have loved to have bought Berkshire 40 years ago and be crazy rich, but I could say the same about all sorts of blue chip stocks as well. Look at the return from companies like Coca Cola, Johnson & Johnson, Procter&Gamble, etc.

User avatar
abuss368
Posts: 15638
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:33 pm
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Re: BRK-A or BRK-B for our grandchildren?

Post by abuss368 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:12 pm

magicrat wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:39 am
If they love Buffet then they should follow his advice and invest in a low-cost S&P500 index fund.
Agree. I would buy them total stock market. They will thank you many times over in the future.
John C. Bogle: "Simplicity is the master key to financial success."

bgf
Posts: 1075
Joined: Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:35 am

Re: BRK-A or BRK-B for our grandchildren?

Post by bgf » Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:26 pm

vineviz wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:47 am
msi wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:57 am
Buy a single share of BRK.B for the sake of their interest in Buffett, and then put the rest of the investment into VTI.

It's great that they're interested in this at such a young age.
This plan will almost certainly have the added advantage of illustrating, in a very concrete way, the folly of investing based on personality and hero-worship instead of using a dispassionate process.
interesting because "dispassionate process" was how buffett and munger succeeded.
“TE OCCIDERE POSSUNT SED TE EDERE NON POSSUNT NEFAS EST"

User avatar
arcticpineapplecorp.
Posts: 4431
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:22 pm

Re: BRK-A or BRK-B for our grandchildren?

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. » Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:28 pm

Rainier wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:54 pm
arcticpineapplecorp. wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:41 pm
teelainen wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:55 am
msi wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:57 am
It's great that they're interested in this at such a young age.
It all started when the grandkids watched CNBC and saw that Warren Buffett ate at McDonald's every morning and drank 5 cans of Coke everyday.
It doesn't appear that Berkshire Hathaway even own McDonalds or Coca Cola stock anymore:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_a ... e_Hathaway

This article says his McD's shares were sold off by 1998:

http://www.thecompoundinvestor.com/warr ... nvestment/

Berkshire's 2017 annual report doesn't list McD's or Coke among its holdings (page 142 of 148):
http://www.annualreports.com/HostedData ... A_2017.pdf

Here's the thing:
Your grandkids can own Berkshire Hathaway, and McDonald's and Coca Cola by owning Vanguard's Total Stock Market Index Fund (and 3588 other companies):

https://investor.vanguard.com/mutual-fu ... view/vtsax

Berkshire's the 6 largest holding of the Total Stock Market Index Fund.
No. BRK owns a boatload of Coke. It's a permanent holding that Buffett would never sell.

If you think BRK has single stock risk like any other company you don't fully understand what it is.

Can somebody show me the difference in voting rights between A and B shares? I don't believe there is any special right with A shares outside of a fixed ratio of 1 to 1,500
My bad.

I see wikipedia says it's Berkshire's 3rd largest holding:
https://www.investopedia.com/ask/answer ... -1980s.asp

Did a search on the annual report and did find:
In addition, we hold investments in common stocks of major multinational companies, such as The Coca-Cola Company, who have significant foreign business and foreign currency risk of their own.
Approximately 65% of the aggregate fair value was concentrated in five companies (American Express Company – $15.1 billion;Apple Inc. – $28.2 billion; Bank of America Corporation – $20.7 billion; The Coca-Cola Company – $18.4 billion and WellsFargo & Company – $29.3 billion)
Approximately 60% of the aggregate fair value was concentrated in five companies (American Express Company – $11.2 billion;Bank of America Corporation – $14.5 billion; The Coca-Cola Company – $16.6 billion; International Business MachinesCorporation – $13.5 billion and Wells Fargo & Company – $27.6 billion)
Shares*-------_-Company_-------------------------Percentage ofCompanyOwned-----Cost (in millions)------Market
400,000,000---The Coca-Cola Company..........9.4,------------------------------------129,918----------------352
"May you live as long as you want and never want as long as you live" -- Irish Blessing | "Invest we must" -- Jack Bogle

james22
Posts: 1419
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:22 pm

Re: BRK-A or BRK-B for our grandchildren?

Post by james22 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:56 pm

illumination wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:06 pm
A lot of what propels Berkshire is the cult of personality, it's just going to be background noise when that's gone.
Ha. Boglehead's belief in market efficiency is as weak as mine (if directionally opposed - I believe there is a Buffett discount, rather than a premium).

columbia
Posts: 1936
Joined: Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:30 am

Re: BRK-A or BRK-B for our grandchildren?

Post by columbia » Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:06 am

I’d set auto purchases on a large cap fund for them and use it as an opportunity to learn about the machinations of the market.

student
Posts: 4030
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:58 am

Re: BRK-A or BRK-B for our grandchildren?

Post by student » Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:29 am

vineviz wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:44 am
ScubaHogg wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:41 am
vineviz wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:47 am
msi wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:57 am
Buy a single share of BRK.B for the sake of their interest in Buffett, and then put the rest of the investment into VTI.

It's great that they're interested in this at such a young age.
This plan will almost certainly have the added advantage of illustrating, in a very concrete way, the folly of investing based on personality and hero-worship instead of using a dispassionate process.
It might not be perfect, but BRK hasn't been a disaster for basically anyone. I'd hardly call it folly.
It’s a single stock with considerable manager risk: aside from folly, I don’t know what to call it.
How about just as you have explained? It is "a single stock with considerable manager risk", it is accurate.

student
Posts: 4030
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:58 am

Re: BRK-A or BRK-B for our grandchildren?

Post by student » Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:31 am

msi wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:57 am
Buy a single share of BRK.B for the sake of their interest in Buffett, and then put the rest of the investment into VTI.

It's great that they're interested in this at such a young age.
+1. One share of BRK.B and the "least cost" total market mutual fund/etf.

JBeck
Posts: 147
Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:54 am

Re: BRK-A or BRK-B for our grandchildren?

Post by JBeck » Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:46 am

If it's a smallish sum of money sure, buy BRK.B, if not, then buy the S&P

illumination
Posts: 207
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:13 pm

Re: BRK-A or BRK-B for our grandchildren?

Post by illumination » Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:09 pm

james22 wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:56 pm
illumination wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:06 pm
A lot of what propels Berkshire is the cult of personality, it's just going to be background noise when that's gone.
Ha. Boglehead's belief in market efficiency is as weak as mine (if directionally opposed - I believe there is a Buffett discount, rather than a premium).
Or is Berkshire in several industries right now that have fallen out of favor? (like banking?)

I guess it depends on the investor, in the OP's case, the "legend" of Buffett is still playing a role for why they want to buy Berkshire for the grandkids and not a different stock.

You'll still see a stock "pop" short term if it comes out in the news that "Buffett" is buying into it, the market still seems to think that means it must be undervalued.

I've wondered for a long time if at least part of Buffett's success over the decades is simply being the most famous investor on Earth and that being a feedback loop.

If Buffett bought into a "terrible" company, the shares would soar, which then makes him look like a genius. Rinse and repeat. Even today, if Berkshire say initiated a large position in General Electric, you would probably see it go up double digits over night.

And Berkshire is now leveraging that name into just about everything, like residential realtors and car dealerships. So it still carries a lot of weight with a lot of people.

Investors like Carl Ichan have "outperformed" Buffett, but they never had the celebrity cachet Buffett did or the folky interviews that the media seems to eat up.

I would think much of this goes out the window when he passes away. I also think a lot of long term investors exit their position. I can't imagine a scenario where Berkshire increases in value when Buffett's dead and gone.

james22
Posts: 1419
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:22 pm

Re: BRK-A or BRK-B for our grandchildren?

Post by james22 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:18 am

Again - you don't believe the market reflects all available information, illumination? Not very Bogleheady of you.
illumination wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:09 pm
I can't imagine a scenario where Berkshire increases in value when Buffett's dead and gone.
“If I die tonight, I think the stock would go up tomorrow,” Buffett, 86, said Saturday at Berkshire’s annual meeting in Omaha, Nebraska. “And there’d be speculation about breakups and all that sort of thing, so it would be a good Wall Street story.”

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... er-he-dies

illumination
Posts: 207
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:13 pm

Re: BRK-A or BRK-B for our grandchildren?

Post by illumination » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:52 pm

james22 wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:18 am
Again - you don't believe the market reflects all available information, illumination? Not very Bogleheady of you.
illumination wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:09 pm
I can't imagine a scenario where Berkshire increases in value when Buffett's dead and gone.
“If I die tonight, I think the stock would go up tomorrow,” Buffett, 86, said Saturday at Berkshire’s annual meeting in Omaha, Nebraska. “And there’d be speculation about breakups and all that sort of thing, so it would be a good Wall Street story.”

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... er-he-dies
Is that anti-Boglehead? I have no idea. There seems to be all sorts of contradictions from Bogle himself on a variety of tenets.

I definitely don't believe the market always reflects all available information. I also think all sorts of emotional sentiment that causes investors to move the markets in illogical ways where they aren't trading always at fair value. I just know that I personally can't find a way to consistently take advantage of that. And the consequences are too steep to consistently make the gamble. But there are managers that have consistently beat the market over long stretches that you can't just say were "luck". I just don't know who the next Peter Lynch, Carl Icahn or Warren Buffett is just like I don't know which individual stocks will outperform.

“If I die tonight, I think the stock would go up tomorrow,” Buffett, 86, said Saturday at Berkshire’s annual meeting in Omaha, Nebraska. “And there’d be speculation about breakups and all that sort of thing, so it would be a good Wall Street story.”

Buffett is "talking his book" there and trying to keep his investors in the fold with that statement. I don't believe for a minute his death would make the stock shoot up in value. And I think he knows that too.

inbox788
Posts: 6575
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:24 pm

Re: BRK-A or BRK-B for our grandchildren?

Post by inbox788 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:45 pm

You can buy the shares this investor is selling. FWIW, google finance shows similar performance over last 5 years, so it's the first 5 years of the decade that made the bigger difference.
“Thumb-sucking has not cut the Heinz mustard during the Great Bull Market of 2009-2019,” wrote David Rolfe, the chief investment officer of Wedgewood Partners, a St. Louis investment firm. “The Great Bull could have been one helluva of an astounding career denouement for Messrs. Buffett and Munger.”
Longtime Berkshire Hathaway Investor Loses Faith in Warren Buffett
https://www.barrons.com/articles/longti ... 1571069340

Longtime Berkshire Hathaway shareholder sells stake, accusing Warren Buffett of ‘thumb-sucking’
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/10/14/berkshi ... cking.html

rascott
Posts: 982
Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:53 am

Re: BRK-A or BRK-B for our grandchildren?

Post by rascott » Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:25 am

inbox788 wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:45 pm
You can buy the shares this investor is selling. FWIW, google finance shows similar performance over last 5 years, so it's the first 5 years of the decade that made the bigger difference.
“Thumb-sucking has not cut the Heinz mustard during the Great Bull Market of 2009-2019,” wrote David Rolfe, the chief investment officer of Wedgewood Partners, a St. Louis investment firm. “The Great Bull could have been one helluva of an astounding career denouement for Messrs. Buffett and Munger.”
Longtime Berkshire Hathaway Investor Loses Faith in Warren Buffett
https://www.barrons.com/articles/longti ... 1571069340

Longtime Berkshire Hathaway shareholder sells stake, accusing Warren Buffett of ‘thumb-sucking’
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/10/14/berkshi ... cking.html

That investor is laughable..... why wasn't he able to see the "layups" that were Visa and Mastercard for his own fund?

User avatar
abuss368
Posts: 15638
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:33 pm
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Re: BRK-A or BRK-B for our grandchildren?

Post by abuss368 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:45 pm

teelainen wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:55 am
msi wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:57 am
It's great that they're interested in this at such a young age.
It all started when the grandkids watched CNBC and saw that Warren Buffett ate at McDonald's every morning and drank 5 cans of Coke everyday.
Our kids too. So much that we bought them the cartoon book Warren Buffett wrote or was involved with. Our one child wrote Mr. Buffett about the book and enclosed a picture. They received a response from his secretary in Omaha!
John C. Bogle: "Simplicity is the master key to financial success."

lazydavid
Posts: 2527
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:37 pm

Re: BRK-A or BRK-B for our grandchildren?

Post by lazydavid » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:15 am

I wouldn't do either. It's been quite some time since Berkshire has been an outperformer, and I certainly wouldn't expect that to improve once Buffett and Munger depart this mortal coil.

Instead, as others have mentioned, I would take Buffett's own advice and buy the S&P 500 (or TSM). 100% of my 12-year-old's portfoilio is in the S&P. I chose that over TSM because it's easier for him to check on it without even logging in, if he chooses (he usually doesn't). "Alexa, how did the stock market do today?"

Post Reply