Washer/Dryer shopping: Best Buy cheaper than Costco

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Post Reply
Topic Author
Planner01
Posts: 76
Joined: Mon Dec 26, 2016 2:44 pm

Washer/Dryer shopping: Best Buy cheaper than Costco

Post by Planner01 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:22 am

Our laundry appliances are on their last legs. We are going to try to make them work until the end of this month to be within Costco’s 30 price adjustment policy, in the event we can find them for less on Black Friday or Cyber Monday.

I found the same pair https://www.bestbuy.com/site/combo/wash ... f5eb9e7be8 at Best Buy for $200 less.

Now I am questioning why should we bug them at Costco instead of Best Buy. I do know Costco has the 2-year extended warranty and we would get $46 cash back with their executive membership, bringing down the total difference to $154. Still it would be more going through Costco.

- Does Costco price match?
- Would Best Buy and Costco do a price adjustment for Black Friday/Cyber Monday within 30 days of purchase?

02nz
Posts: 2346
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:17 pm

Re: Washer/Dryer shopping: Best Buy cheaper than Costco

Post by 02nz » Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:24 am

I believe Costco does match prices (it needs to be exactly the same models - can be tricky with washers and dryers as manufacturers make many variants of the same basic model, some exclusive to a retailer).

Not sure about Costco’s Black Friday policy but Best Buy excludes Black Friday from its price adjustment policy (and you don’t have 30 days, only 14, unless you’re an elite member).

User avatar
RickBoglehead
Posts: 4476
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:10 am
Location: In a house

Re: Washer/Dryer shopping: Best Buy cheaper than Costco

Post by RickBoglehead » Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:33 am

02nz wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:24 am
I believe Costco does match prices (it needs to be exactly the same models - can be tricky with washers and dryers as manufacturers make many variants of the same basic model, some exclusive to a retailer).

Not sure about Costco’s Black Friday policy but Best Buy excludes Black Friday from its price adjustment policy (and you don’t have 30 days, only 14, unless you’re an elite member).
Costco does not match prices with other retailers. https://customerservice.costco.com/app/ ... ce%20match

Costco matches their own prices within 30 days.
Planner01 wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:22 am
I do know Costco has the 2-year extended warranty and we would get $46 cash back with their executive membership, bringing down the total difference to $154. Still it would be more going through Costco.

- Does Costco price match?
- Would Best Buy and Costco do a price adjustment for Black Friday/Cyber Monday within 30 days of purchase?
Costco does not price match as stated, and will match their own prices within 30 days including Black Friday.

Costco's appliance warranty is 4 years when purchased with the Costco Visa. 2 years provided by Costco, 2 years provided by the Visa. You won't get anywhere near a 4 year warranty from Best Buy.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

grok87
Posts: 8833
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:00 pm

Re: Washer/Dryer shopping: Best Buy cheaper than Costco

Post by grok87 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:42 am

RickBoglehead wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:33 am
02nz wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:24 am
I believe Costco does match prices (it needs to be exactly the same models - can be tricky with washers and dryers as manufacturers make many variants of the same basic model, some exclusive to a retailer).

Not sure about Costco’s Black Friday policy but Best Buy excludes Black Friday from its price adjustment policy (and you don’t have 30 days, only 14, unless you’re an elite member).
Costco does not match prices with other retailers. https://customerservice.costco.com/app/ ... ce%20match

Costco matches their own prices within 30 days.
Planner01 wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:22 am
I do know Costco has the 2-year extended warranty and we would get $46 cash back with their executive membership, bringing down the total difference to $154. Still it would be more going through Costco.

- Does Costco price match?
- Would Best Buy and Costco do a price adjustment for Black Friday/Cyber Monday within 30 days of purchase?
Costco does not price match as stated, and will match their own prices within 30 days including Black Friday.

Costco's appliance warranty is 4 years when purchased with the Costco Visa. 2 years provided by Costco, 2 years provided by the Visa. You won't get anywhere near a 4 year warranty from Best Buy.
thanks for pointing that out
RIP Mr. Bogle.

User avatar
cheese_breath
Posts: 8914
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:08 pm

Re: Washer/Dryer shopping: Best Buy cheaper than Costco

Post by cheese_breath » Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:45 am

If you're a Best Buy rewards member you'll get rewards points and free shipping at BB.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

tomd37
Posts: 3083
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:39 pm
Location: Middle Tennessee

Re: Washer/Dryer shopping: Best Buy cheaper than Costco

Post by tomd37 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:54 am

How does installation costs play into both suppliers? If an electric dryer, what about any special cord that might be needed and is it included in pricing for both suppliers? What about disposing of replaced units as it is sometimes hard to get them out of the home and disposed of? Just some thoughts on my part. :?:
Tom D.

jt55
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:23 pm

Re: Washer/Dryer shopping: Best Buy cheaper than Costco

Post by jt55 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:07 am

Take it for what it's worth, but did you check out Speed Queen? They're expensive but they'll probably be the last ones you'll ever buy. They're built like the old Maytags. My SIL picked up a washer on FB marketplace.

Invest4lt
Posts: 97
Joined: Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:25 pm

Re: Washer/Dryer shopping: Best Buy cheaper than Costco

Post by Invest4lt » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:27 am

Have you compared return policies? If this is important to you, the BB is only 15 days.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/help-topic ... 0800050014

jbmitt
Posts: 396
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:00 am

Re: Washer/Dryer shopping: Best Buy cheaper than Costco

Post by jbmitt » Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:17 am

I had the same dilemma and wanted to purchase via Costco. Based on our geographic region there was a $175 delivery fee, instead of the usual amount.

Knowing that I took the information to the local BestBuy. The person I worked with insisted that I had to buy the extended warranty from BestBuy in addition to the washer dryer set. She gave me a much higher quote including the set, the two risers that I did want and the extended warranty that I didn’t want.

I explained that it was much higher than the Costco price which she agreed to match. Afterwards, I realized that she did in fact the match the Costco price, with free delivery and installation, as well as a free extended warranty.

It seems like it’s a pretty easy override for whatever they price in their quote. Up selling their extended warranty and forgetting they put it in the quote and then price matching Costco didn’t work in their favor.

User avatar
Kenkat
Posts: 5275
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:18 am
Location: Cincinnati, OH

Re: Washer/Dryer shopping: Best Buy cheaper than Costco

Post by Kenkat » Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:28 am

In the past, Best Buy will match anything bought after Nov. 1 if it goes down in price before the end of December. They exclude Black Friday doorbusters but it includes Black Friday weekend items, for example. They did price adjustments twice for me totaling $300 on a TV a I bought in early November when the old TV broke.

I would confirm that policy hasn’t changed but it was very easy to get an adjustment in my case.

Topic Author
Planner01
Posts: 76
Joined: Mon Dec 26, 2016 2:44 pm

Re: Washer/Dryer shopping: Best Buy cheaper than Costco

Post by Planner01 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:53 pm

I think that considering Costco’s generous return policy and the extended 2-year warranty we might go with them. Also hoping to score a nice discount during Black Friday as they would honor that discount as long as it’s within the 30 day purchase time frame.

Also Costco will install the appliances at no extra cost, while Best Buy would only deliver it (both free of charge).

Thank you for letting me know about the credit card 4-year warranty, I might apply for the card just to get that.

Sconie
Posts: 749
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:23 am
Location: Arizona

Re: Washer/Dryer shopping: Best Buy cheaper than Costco

Post by Sconie » Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:36 pm

jt55 wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:07 am
Take it for what it's worth, but did you check out Speed Queen? They're expensive but they'll probably be the last ones you'll ever buy. They're built like the old Maytags. My SIL picked up a washer on FB marketplace.
jt55.....you "nailed it" with the Speed Queen recommendation!
I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. - Alan Greenspan

HomeStretch
Posts: 2494
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:06 pm

Re: Washer/Dryer shopping: Best Buy cheaper than Costco

Post by HomeStretch » Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:40 pm

Planner01 wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:53 pm
I think that considering Costco’s generous return policy and the extended 2-year warranty we might go with them.
Good move. As it’s not uncommon for washers for many makes/models to have quality issues, I would rather deal with Costco than Best Buy if I had a problem. I am dealing with a leaking 4-month old expensive Samsung front loader right now. Not fun.

carolinaman
Posts: 3851
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:56 am
Location: North Carolina

Re: Washer/Dryer shopping: Best Buy cheaper than Costco

Post by carolinaman » Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:39 pm

Costco had early release of their Black Friday ad last year on 10/27, and it is speculated it will be released this year in same time frame. See other stores in this link:
https://blackfriday.com/news/black-frid ... redictions

Big Dog
Posts: 1511
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:12 pm

Re: Washer/Dryer shopping: Best Buy cheaper than Costco

Post by Big Dog » Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:41 pm

don't forget to compare like-for-like: costco's price includes (simple) installation and haul-away old units, while my local Best Buy charges extra for each per item. Add in Best Buy's extended warranty to match Costco, and I believe the prices are similar.

stoptothink
Posts: 6338
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:53 am

Re: Washer/Dryer shopping: Best Buy cheaper than Costco

Post by stoptothink » Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:43 pm

jt55 wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:07 am
Take it for what it's worth, but did you check out Speed Queen? They're expensive but they'll probably be the last ones you'll ever buy. They're built like the old Maytags. My SIL picked up a washer on FB marketplace.
I believe Speed Queen changed some suppliers (or something similar) and their new models are not as durable and reliable as they were in the past. There has been a few threads about this.

Swimmer
Posts: 366
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:24 pm

Re: Washer/Dryer shopping: Best Buy cheaper than Costco

Post by Swimmer » Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:46 pm

After extensive research, I just bought a refrigerator from Costco. I was wary but it was a great experience. The delivery was perfect and I was surprised to learn it had a 90-day return policy for any reason. I also got the 2 year warranty rather than the normal one year. I wasn’t aware of the additional 2years for using their card but that’s great.

My price was $100 lower than Best Buy and Lowe’s. Also got $40 cash back. They took the old one at no cost. Lowe’s charges $20. Not sure about BB.

Delivery was free.

I saved quite a but using Costco. I’ll soon need a washer & dryer and won’t hesitate to use Costco again.

tomd37
Posts: 3083
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:39 pm
Location: Middle Tennessee

Re: Washer/Dryer shopping: Best Buy cheaper than Costco

Post by tomd37 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:50 pm

My understanding is that Speed Queen did change its machine's washing procedure a couple of years ago, but found it was not accepted by the public and recently reverted back to the old washing procedures. It was acknowledged in a post on this forum to my understanding. I have one of the pre-change machines and love it.
Tom D.

Topic Author
Planner01
Posts: 76
Joined: Mon Dec 26, 2016 2:44 pm

Re: Washer/Dryer shopping: Best Buy cheaper than Costco

Post by Planner01 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:40 pm

carolinaman wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:39 pm
Costco had early release of their Black Friday ad last year on 10/27, and it is speculated it will be released this year in same time frame. See other stores in this link:
https://blackfriday.com/news/black-frid ... redictions
Awesome, thank you!

User avatar
Clever_Username
Posts: 1375
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:24 am
Location: Southern California

Re: Washer/Dryer shopping: Best Buy cheaper than Costco

Post by Clever_Username » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:50 pm

At my previous house, the washer/dryer were purchased from Best Buy. It took them something like seven times to deliver it successfully; failed attempts included them saying they had rang the bell and no one was home, despite my sitting on the front porch for the entire window. The first time they brought a dryer into the house, it was a broken one and they promised they'd fix it -- as far as I was concerned, I bought a new dryer, not a refurbished one, and I told them this.

It was such a bad experience I am probably not going to make any purchases from Best Buy in the near future. This happened about two and a half years ago and I haven't set foot in a BB since then. With the amount of time I had to put into getting it fixed, they did eventually offer me a coupon for a few bucks off a large purchase. I didn't use it.
"What was true then is true now. Have a plan. Stick to it." -- XXXX, _Layer Cake_ | | I survived my first downturn and all I got was this signature line.

User avatar
Random Musings
Posts: 5506
Joined: Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:24 pm
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: Washer/Dryer shopping: Best Buy cheaper than Costco

Post by Random Musings » Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:23 pm

stoptothink wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:43 pm
jt55 wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:07 am
Take it for what it's worth, but did you check out Speed Queen? They're expensive but they'll probably be the last ones you'll ever buy. They're built like the old Maytags. My SIL picked up a washer on FB marketplace.
I believe Speed Queen changed some suppliers (or something similar) and their new models are not as durable and reliable as they were in the past. There has been a few threads about this.
I believe the new SQ's are durable, the issue is more with their cleaning performance. However, they did bring back their old model to satisfy customers, however I think it costs about a grand. I bought the new Maytag commercial, and the deal I received gives me a full ten years on parts and labor. Does a great job cleaning and laundry smells fresh, rub is your water bill is going to go up a little bit.

RM
I figure the odds be fifty-fifty I just might have something to say. FZ

Post Reply