Airline compensation

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
boater07

Airline compensation

Post by boater07 »

Do airlines owe compensation for flight delays over 6 hours?
welderwannabe

Re: Airline compensation

Post by welderwannabe »

Depends on where.

In the US, no...not for a delay.
I am not an investment professional, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
chevca

Post by chevca »

What was the cause of the delay? They can't control the weather. And, if something broke, wouldn't you rather they fix it first?
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

welderwannabe wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:09 pm Depends on where.

In the US, no...not for a delay.
Actually, yes even in the USA so long as it's an EU carrier. We had a flight cancelled leaving JFK for the UK, and were delayed about 10 hours before getting on the next flight. We only paid about $225 each for the OW ticket, but it was Norwegian Air so they paid for a hotel & dinner near JFK but we still ended up collecting about $700 each.
Klewles

Post by Klewles »

The rules for compensation on EU carriers are in EC Regulation 261. Google it and you'll find plenty of articles as well as the regulation itself. It's worth being aware of whenever you fly to, from, or within Europe.
GDBryan

Post by GDBryan »

We were suddenly delayed leaving Europe earlier this year on a US carrier. While looking up possible compensation, I came across AirHelp, which filed on our behalf. We received a significant amount even though they retained 25%.

I did the whole filing over their website.
welderwannabe

Post by welderwannabe »

neilpilot wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:21 pm Actually, yes even in the USA so long as it's an EU carrier. We had a flight cancelled leaving JFK for the UK, and were delayed about 10 hours before getting on the next flight. We only paid about $225 each for the OW ticket, but it was Norwegian Air so they paid for a hotel & dinner near JFK but we still ended up collecting about $700 each.
That isnt a flight to/from the US, which is what I was trying to convey. International flights have all sorts of additional regulations ranging from baggage compensation on up.
I am not an investment professional, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
NewMoneyMustBeSmart

Post by NewMoneyMustBeSmart »

boater07 wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:05 pm Do airlines owe compensation for flight delays over 6 hours?
https://www.transportation.gov/airconsumer/fly-rights
Contrary to popular belief, for domestic itineraries airlines are not required to compensate passengers whose flights are delayed or canceled. As discussed in the chapter on overbooking, compensation is required by law on domestic trips only when you are "bumped" from a flight that is oversold. On international itineraries, passengers may be able to recover reimbursement under Article 19 of the Montreal Convention for expenses resulting from a delayed or canceled flight by filing a claim with the airline. If the claim is denied, you may pursue the matter in court if you believe that the carrier did not take all measures that could reasonably be required to avoid the damages caused by the delay.

-- | Few are those who see with their own eyes and feel with their own hearts - Einstein | *Everything I write here is an unreliable opinion*
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

GDBryan wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:15 am We were suddenly delayed leaving Europe earlier this year on a US carrier. While looking up possible compensation, I came across AirHelp, which filed on our behalf. We received a significant amount even though they retained 25%.

I did the whole filing over their website.
Actually it's relatively easy to file directly with your airline, and do the whole thing over the airline's website. The gross compensation, which is fixed by the EU, will be the same either way but the airline will not withhold AirHelp's 25%. We collected about $1400, and AirHelp would have taken $350 of that claim had I filed thru them.

So file first with the airline, and then if the claim is denied file with AirHelp or one of the other claim service companies. Depending on the EU country, you have 4-6 years to file that claim.