Seiko Watch

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
sport

Seiko Watch

Post by sport » Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:32 pm

I want to replace my trusty Seiko watch that recently died after 25 years of service. I could have it repaired, but a new one would cost less than the repairs. I have had very good luck with Seiko watches over the years and I want to buy another one. I searched on Amazon and found two that I like. There is a quartz model for $136 and a solar model on sale for $89. Which would be the better choice, quartz or solar?

Vulcan

Re: Seiko Watch

Post by Vulcan » Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:34 pm

sport wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:32 pm
I want to replace my trusty Seiko watch that recently died after 25 years of service. I could have it repaired, but a new one would cost less than the repairs. I have had very good luck with Seiko watches over the years and I want to buy another one. I searched on Amazon and found two that I like. There is a quartz model for $136 and a solar model on sale for $89. Which would be the better choice, quartz or solar?
Solar is also quartz
If you torture the data long enough, it will confess to anything. ~Ronald Coase

PrettyCoolWorkshop

Post by PrettyCoolWorkshop » Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:38 pm

I would say that they are identical for most people, the solar charging is mostly a vanity feature. That being said, most features on watches are vanity features. Go for the solar, it's got better features at a lower price.

You may appreciate the solar more if you get it wet often- after changing my watch battery, the o-ring is a bit less trustworthy. It hasn't failed me yet, but every time I take it in a pool I get a wee bit of worry. With the solar, it will probably be over a decade before you have to change the battery.

Seiko makes a good watch at a good price.
Be greedy and fearful. All the time.

btenny

Post by btenny » Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:39 pm

I bought my wife a solar Seiko at Penny's a few years ago. She loves it and it never needs a new battery like her old standard Seiko. So I vote for the solar version but that price seems low. Check you are getting a real Seiko version and not some knock off.

Good Luck.

rebellovw

Post by rebellovw » Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:39 pm

I have a nice citizen - that uses motion to charge if I recall- though I don't wear it.

DesertDiva

Post by DesertDiva » Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:40 pm

I've been wearing a Seiko solar watch for the past year, and am very satisfied with it. I like the fact that I won't need to replace batteries. I hope that I will get a lot of use out of it. Time will tell.

Topic Author
sport

Post by sport » Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:41 pm

btenny wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:39 pm
I bought my wife a solar Seiko at Penny's a few years ago. She loves it and it never needs a new battery like her old standard Seiko. So I vote for the solar version but that price seems low. Check you are getting a real Seiko version and not some knock off.

Good Luck.
It is on sale at Amazon. How would I check the authenticity?

rj342

Post by rj342 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:58 pm

That solar price may be real. Back around Prime Day I got a Citizen EcoDrive (their solar) for about $80 on sale. Stainless steel with a fabric band, so that would explain the affordability.
My nicer watch is an all titanium Citizen EcoDrive -- had it well about 12 years and has never needed any work. At some point the chargeable "battery" (maybe actually more a capacitor) can need replacing, but mine has been going string.
Everything about the newer watch - packaging, manual, face details, etched info on the bezel back matched my older watch bought in a department store, so I'm satisfied it is legit.
Last edited by rj342 on Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

acshen

Post by acshen » Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:58 pm

Just bought a SARB035 off eBay, they've discontinued manufacturing this model since it looks too similar to Grand Seiko. Would totally recommend this model!

batpot

Post by batpot » Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:14 pm

sport wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:41 pm
btenny wrote:

Good Luck.
generally, if it's sold by Amazon, you're fine.
If it's sold by a 3rd party seller, it's much murkier.
That being said, at this price range, I highly doubt there is a market for fake Seikos.

Topic Author
sport

Post by sport » Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:55 pm

Thanks for all the feedback. I used the Bogleheads link to Amazon to give the link fee to Bogleheads. Then I bought the solar watch.

TexasPE

Post by TexasPE » Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:11 pm

batpot wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:14 pm
generally, if it's sold by Amazon, you're fine.
If it's sold by a 3rd party seller, it's much murkier.
That being said, at this price range, I highly doubt there is a market for fake Seikos.
Amazon DOES sell grey-market watches.

https://thewatchmaker.com/grey-market/

These are genuine but without the US warranty. If a factory warranty is important to you, read the description to be sure one is included.
At 20: I cared what everyone thought about me | At 40: I didn't give a damn what anyone thought of me | Now that I'm 60: I realize that no one was really thinking about me at all | Winston Churchill (?)

gr7070

Post by gr7070 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:16 pm

I like the kinetic options. Capacitor charges from your physical movements

If you really like the current watch get the innards replaced.

friar1610

Post by friar1610 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:09 pm

btenny wrote:

Good Luck.
I bought my wife a solar Seiko for Christmas 4 or 5 years ago. She's had to send it back for service 2 or 3 times because it stopped recharging. When I bought it I asked if the solar technology had been around long enough to have the glitches worked out and was assured that it had been. So, we've been disappointed, butbincan see from other posts that most are happy with theirs.

An anecdote: I'm of the generation that had the "opportunity" to spend time in Southeast Asia in the late 1960's and came hone with a "Southeast Asia Seiko", a self-winding version. It still working and I wear it from time-to-time (no pun intended).
Friar1610

kevinf

Post by kevinf » Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:52 am

rj342 wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:58 pm
...My nicer watch is an all titanium Citizen EcoDrive -- had it well about 12 years and has never needed any work. At some point the chargeable "battery" (maybe actually more a capacitor) can need replacing, but mine has been going strong...
I have a Citizen Ti Eco-drive, let me add what I researched...

• At full charge (2-3 days exposed to bright sunlight from empty) the watch battery is rated to run for 1.5 years in a drawer (it enters low-power mode automatically in the dark) and for 10 months getting an inadequate charge (under a sleeve).

• The black top-ring is ion plated titanium, not paint.

• The spring bars are actually mounted fairly close to the case. I was able to fit a leather NATO strap in only with great difficulty causing surface damage to the strap. Nylon NATO straps should not have any problem fitting through.

• The atomic radio feature works if the watch is hanging vertically, you don't have to keep it horizontal. I receive a high signal every night with it hanging from a wall hook and I live about 1,600 miles from the Denver radio transmitter.

• Eco-Drive type watches are equipped with a special titanium-lithium-ion secondary battery charged by photocells located behind the sub-dials. According to Citizen Europe, laboratory tests showed that after 20 years the secondary battery retains a power storage capacity of 80% of its initial capacity!

• The titanium case has gone through Citizen's proprietary hardening process (known as Duratect) which gives it a Mohs hardness of ~7 and a Vickers hardness of ~1100 and is trademarked by them as "Super Titanium". This is important information because while Ti is stronger than stainless steel and half the weight, it is actually less "hard" as far as scratching goes. After their hardening process it becomes significantly more scratch resistant than standard stainless steel. These are good qualities to have as Ti has the additional benefits of being hypo-allergenic (no contact dermatitis) and non-magnetic. For reference, the sapphire window has a Mohs of 9 and a Vickers of ~2200. Keep in mind that scratch resistant does not mean scratch proof and it certainly doesn't mean dent proof. Hit the case hard enough against something solid and you will damage it.

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:12 pm

I can't bring myself to wear Quartz watches any more. A $20 Walmart watch has essentially the same movement as a $2000 Tag.

Get an automatic:
https://seikousa.com/collections/mens#Automatic

Find the model number on the link above then buy from Amazon or wherever.

Thank me later :beer

kevinf

Post by kevinf » Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:07 pm

I'm a little confused by the suggestion to avoid quartz in favor of automatic movement. Mechanical (automatic) drives have a fairly substantial time-keeping drift (which is fine if your watch is used as jewelry and not as a time-piece). The electronic drives have almost no drift worth mentioning, which is why "they're all the same".

The most expensive automatic movement is inherently inferior to the cheapest quartz movement for time-keeping. I personally don't like adjusting my watch which is why I have a radio-controlled perpetual calendar watch. If you don't mind keeping up with time-synching every night then an automatic may be fine.

This sounds a lot like the "vinyl is superior to CD because reasons" thing that was going on for awhile.

gr7070

Post by gr7070 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:25 pm

kevinf wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:07 pm
I'm a little confused by the suggestion to avoid quartz in favor of automatic movement.

This sounds a lot like the "vinyl is superior to CD because reasons" thing that was going on for awhile.
Some of the self-winding watches do use quartz for timing.

That might be the difference in Seiko's terminology: kinetic (quartz), automatic (mechanical)??? Though I don't know for sure. One would have to confirm which uses what.

The vinyl:cd comparison may be apt. As you said the nice mechanical watches are akin to jewelry, or collectables, or hobbies, etc. like vinyl.

SleepKing

Post by SleepKing » Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:31 pm

Saw you bought the solar, but my $0.02...

If someone simply want a nice looking watch to "keep time" get any quartz that appeals to you most and NEVER spend over $100.

If you want a "collectors watch" aka man jewelry, check out a Grand Seiko. Many aficionados put these up against the finest Swiss time pieces.

FYI i have a "Seiko Kinetic" in my collection that is near and dear to me. I get as many compliments on it (~$150 watch) as I do 'fine swiss watches'.

Just don't wear an Apple watch...lol! (j/k, those are useful too)

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:34 pm

kevinf wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:07 pm
I'm a little confused by the suggestion to avoid quartz in favor of automatic movement. Mechanical (automatic) drives have a fairly substantial time-keeping drift (which is fine if your watch is used as jewelry and not as a time-piece). The electronic drives have almost no drift worth mentioning, which is why "they're all the same".

The most expensive automatic movement is inherently inferior to the cheapest quartz movement for time-keeping. I personally don't like adjusting my watch which is why I have a radio-controlled perpetual calendar watch. If you don't mind keeping up with time-synching every night then an automatic may be fine.

You'll be setting the time once a month anyway in order to stay on the correct date. It's a good time to adjust the time.
(You must spend thousands to get a watch that has an annual calendar)

A watch is jewelry. Otherwise we'd all either not wear one at all or settle for the $10 Casio that does the job perfectly.

Ron

Post by Ron » Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:16 pm

friar1610 wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:09 pm
An anecdote: I'm of the generation that had the "opportunity" to spend time in Southeast Asia in the late 1960's and came hone with a "Southeast Asia Seiko", a self-winding version. It still working and I wear it from time-to-time (no pun intended).
Had a Bellmatic from my time over there (68-69) but the face grew green fuzzies (same color as the greenery) during my SEA "vacation" and stopped shortly after I came back to the world :annoyed ...

- Ron

kevinf

Post by kevinf » Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:12 am

sunny_socal wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:34 pm
...u must spend thousands to get a watch that has an annual calendar)

A watch is jewelry. Otherwise we'd all either not wear one at all or settle for the $10 Casio that does the job perfectly.
You can get a Seiko perpetual calendar watch for under $100. Also, many professions still use watches as required tools... mine does, it's part of the dress code.

I have a watch that has a perpetual calendar, AR coated sapphire window, solar drive, hardened titanium housing, ion plating, quartz accuracy with atomic time syncing, 20-bar water-fastness... and it didn't cost $1000s of dollars.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:38 am

I replaced my Seiko battery operated watch when the back cover that had to be removed to change the battery fused onto the watch body after many many years. I replaced it with my current Seiko kinetic watch. I love that I never have to worry about batteries but I dislike having to adjust the time about once a week. Also, when you spend a day say under the weather and not moving much, I find that I have to manually wind it to keep it ticking.

All in all, I think I will go back to battery operated watches the next time around.

gr7070

Post by gr7070 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:19 pm

lthenderson wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:38 am
Also, when you spend a day say under the weather and not moving much, I find that I have to manually wind it to keep it ticking.
That's odd. My Seiko kinetic can go, easily, a week not even wearing it and still be running as normal???

kevinf

Post by kevinf » Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:50 pm

The low-end kinetic watches only have 24 hour reserve power, the higher end ones can run for a few days. I didn't think that there were any solar watches with such a low battery reserve, but it's possible. My Citizen eco-drive solar will run for 10 months on nothing but the battery if it's fully charged and for 1.5 years if it's in sleep mode (has to be kept in the dark to sleep).

kevinf

Post by kevinf » Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:52 pm

The low-end kinetic watches only have 24 hour reserve power, the higher end ones can run for a few days. I didn't think that there were any solar watches with such a low battery reserve, but it's possible. My Citizen eco-drive solar will run for 10 months on nothing but the battery if it's fully charged and for 1.5 years if it's in sleep mode (has to be kept in the dark to sleep).

The longevity of the Ti-Li-Ion battery should be 30+ years.

Franklint

Post by Franklint » Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:54 pm

Somewhat on topic but I’m a big fan of Seiya Japan for Seiko watches. Have had a number of tremendous experiences with them, fast and reliable shipping with no customs issues.

I’m also a big fan of the Seiko 5 automatics that are on amazon and available elsewhere. Not a fan of a quartz or solar watch (just my $.02). Seiko has a cult following amongst folks for a reason.

rj342

Post by rj342 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:54 pm

kevinf wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:52 am
rj342 wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:58 pm
...My nicer watch is an all titanium Citizen EcoDrive -- had it well about 12 years and has never needed any work. At some point the chargeable "battery" (maybe actually more a capacitor) can need replacing, but mine has been going strong...
I have a Citizen Ti Eco-drive, let me add what I researched...

• At full charge (2-3 days exposed to bright sunlight from empty) the watch battery is rated to run for 1.5 years in a drawer (it enters low-power mode automatically in the dark) and for 10 months getting an inadequate charge (under a sleeve).

• The black top-ring is ion plated titanium, not paint.

• The spring bars are actually mounted fairly close to the case. I was able to fit a leather NATO strap in only with great difficulty causing surface damage to the strap. Nylon NATO straps should not have any problem fitting through.

• The atomic radio feature works if the watch is hanging vertically, you don't have to keep it horizontal. I receive a high signal every night with it hanging from a wall hook and I live about 1,600 miles from the Denver radio transmitter.

• Eco-Drive type watches are equipped with a special titanium-lithium-ion secondary battery charged by photocells located behind the sub-dials. According to Citizen Europe, laboratory tests showed that after 20 years the secondary battery retains a power storage capacity of 80% of its initial capacity!

• The titanium case has gone through Citizen's proprietary hardening process (known as Duratect) which gives it a Mohs hardness of ~7 and a Vickers hardness of ~1100 and is trademarked by them as "Super Titanium". This is important information because while Ti is stronger than stainless steel and half the weight, it is actually less "hard" as far as scratching goes. After their hardening process it becomes significantly more scratch resistant than standard stainless steel. These are good qualities to have as Ti has the additional benefits of being hypo-allergenic (no contact dermatitis) and non-magnetic. For reference, the sapphire window has a Mohs of 9 and a Vickers of ~2200. Keep in mind that scratch resistant does not mean scratch proof and it certainly doesn't mean dent proof. Hit the case hard enough against something solid and you will damage it.
Ah. Mines not quite that nice - no perpetual calendar or atomic clock synch. I did get tired of having 'Stainless Steel" watches that would have the adjustment knob or some other piece that wasn't, so the green crud would sneak up again. Love the all titanium Citizen including the bracelet.
I use the SS Citizen ecodrive I got cheap Prime Day with nylon NATO bands to swap out for a more casual look.

I have thought about getting one of the sub-$100 automatic mechanical Seikos.

robertmcd

Post by robertmcd » Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:40 pm

Seiko is by far my favorite watch brand, but unfortunately they are headed in the wrong direction as far as price vs. features go. The JDM models for sub $400, and their sub $200 iso divers were really something special. Seiko can do watch cases and dial finishing better at any price point than other brands.

I have:

skx007 (great deal at $180 for an iso rated auto diver with some of the coolest dive watch lineage and a beautiful case, less so at $280 now)
sarb033 (beautiful sporty dress watch for $330 - sapphire crystal, 6r15 movement, case finishing)
sarb017 (sapphire, screw down crown, impressive case finishing for $379)

kevinf

Post by kevinf » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:18 pm

rj342 wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:54 pm
I had one and grew to resent it due to the anemic power reserve (it was a winding spring mechanism). So if I wanted to leave the watch behind for a weekend I'd be forced to "charge" it and then re-set it. So I'd end up wearing the watch even when I really didn't want to, which was no good. So then I got the sub $100 Citizen eco-drive... and it was much better! But keeping the date in sync with the current month was a chore and easy to lose track of due to the lack of attention the watch needed otherwise. Sooooo...I'm still looking for the perfect watch, and I haven't found it yet. But this Citizen Ti with perpetual calendar is pretty close.

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:25 pm

kevinf wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:18 pm
rj342 wrote:
I had one and grew to resent it due to the anemic power reserve (it was a winding spring mechanism). So if I wanted to leave the watch behind for a weekend I'd be forced to "charge" it and then re-set it. So I'd end up wearing the watch even when I really didn't want to, which was no good. So then I got the sub $100 Citizen eco-drive... and it was much better! But keeping the date in sync with the current month was a chore and easy to lose track of due to the lack of attention the watch needed otherwise. Sooooo...I'm still looking for the perfect watch, and I haven't found it yet. But this Citizen Ti with perpetual calendar is pretty close.
If you want the date and time to always stay correct just get a radio sync watch (some brands incorrectly market this as an atomic watch) - if you like Seiko they have several to choose from. They simple sync to the corect date and time nightly.

kevinf

Post by kevinf » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:39 pm

DaftInvestor wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:25 pm
kevinf wrote:
rj342 wrote:
If you want the date and time to always stay correct just get a radio sync watch (some brands incorrectly market this as an atomic watch) - if you like Seiko they have several to choose from. They simple sync to the corect date and time nightly.
I have this watch :P

capsaicinguy

Post by capsaicinguy » Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:12 pm

After looking at a lot of entry level seikos, orient's, and the like, I landed on buying a couple citizen eco drives on Amazon during one of their prime day sales. Couldn't be happier, nice watches for around $80. Not an automatic but I feel like I got good value at that price point. Will likely buy one if the Seiko cocktail time dress watches as my lone auto at some point in the future.

https://www.citizenwatch.com/us/en/prod ... 1-09L.html

https://www.citizenwatch.com/us/en/prod ... 1-10H.html

Lol_wut94

Post by Lol_wut94 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:05 pm

kevinf wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:39 pm
DaftInvestor wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:25 pm
kevinf wrote:
rj342 wrote:
I have this watch :P
that seems really hard to read, though i do appreciate it's "tool watch" functionality.

i like my Seiko prospex diver. easy to read, keeps accurate time, functional bezel, and no issues with water or getting knocked around
https://www.amazon.com/Seiko-Automatic- ... B01ARYT23O

Ged

Post by Ged » Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:08 pm

rebellovw wrote:
I have a nice citizen - that uses motion to charge if I recall- though I don't wear it.
I like Citizen watches myself. I have two solar models.

Silence Dogood

Post by Silence Dogood » Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:31 pm

sport wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:41 pm
btenny wrote:

Good Luck.
Does it come with a "Certificate of Authenticity"?

kevinf

Post by kevinf » Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:36 am

Looks like I've been published... The Gear Hungry website paraphrased some highlights of my Citizen Ti Perpetual Atomic amazon review for their Best Watches of 2019 series 8-)

My perfect watch might be:

Titanium case • Day/Date Perpetual Calendar • Sapphire Window • Seiko movement • Citizen Solar Drive • Tritium hands/Luminous face • Atomic Sync • Low-profile curved • Dive ready • Sweeping second hand • Dual-display analog dial w/ digital E-Ink • Bluetooth to unlock car/phone • Minute track on the dial

Independent George

Post by Independent George » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:27 pm

A few points of clarification:

1. Quartz refers to the time regulation method, and solar is the power source. All solar movements are quartz, but not all quartz are solar.
2. Solar watches are typically rated for 6 months when fully charged, but anecdotally, many people have reported losing charge during the winter months when buried beneath layers of thick clothing. Citizen has a better reputation for solar movements than Seiko, but I've never had any problems with my Seiko Solar SNE039 (purchased on sale from Macy's at $85, plus bonus cashback points).
3. Quartz is inherently far more accurate than even the very best mechanical watches. A COSC-certified chronometer is accurate to +6/-4 seconds per day. Rolex guarantees their watches to +/- 2 seconds per day. A $10 quartz watch from Ali Express will be +/- 15 seconds per month.
4. Mechanical watches, which run on tiny springs & gears, are also far susceptible to being disrupted by sudden shocks, temperature changes, and magnets (such as the ones in your laptop). They will need to be serviced every 5-10 years, usually at great cost.
5. Put simply, quartz is superior to mechanical watches in every way. That said...
6. My everyday watch is an automatic (a Sinn 556I), because I love mechanical watches. Practicality be damned, some people prefer manual transmission or vinyl records; I prefer a mechanical watch.
7. Seiko also has a hybrid movement called 'Spring Drive', which is mechanically powered (using springs and gears), but quartz regulated (retaining the accuracy of quartz). These are sold under their Grand Seiko line and start at a very Un-Boglehead $5,000. Someday I intend to buy one, but not today. Not until I hit my 2nd financial milestone (probably in the next 3-5 years, but possibly not for another 10 or more). I love watches, but I'm still a Boglehead first.
8. There is also a category of watches known as High Accuracy Quartz (HAQ), which are rated up to +/- 5 seconds per year. These tend to be in the $2,000-$4,000 range - expensive, but not as expensive as the higher-end mechanical watches. There are many brands, but especially like the Citizen Chronomaster. Someday, but not today.
9. Finally, for true set & forget accuracy, there are radio-synched quartz watches. These are tuned to receive radio broadcasts sent from one of several atomic clocks around the world, depending on your geographic region. There are many brands, but I'm particularly fond of the Casio Oceanus, which is also solar powered.