My mechanic just wrecked my car - advice?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Colorado13

Re: My mechanic just wrecked my car - advice?

Post by Colorado13 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:43 pm

A couple of my friends claim that their Outbacks are really impressive and safe in snow. I've never driven one, so can't confirm that. But considering tomorrow's forecast of snow (after ~80 degrees outside today!), my advice is to be extra cautious driving the rental in case it's not as good in snow as your Outback.

I'm sorry this happened to you. It sounds like the mechanic is trying to resolve this in a reasonable manner so hopefully you will have your car back soon.

Whakamole

Post by Whakamole » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:46 pm

JAZZISCOOL wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:39 pm
tibbitts wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:30 pm
JAZZISCOOL wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:55 pm
UPDATE - I also wanted to see if anyone had any new info on the doctrine of "diminished value" in the insurance industry?

My agent mentioned it (without specific advice). I found this article and understand the general idea but don't know how to apply it to this situation exactly. I'm not that worried with an older car but was just curious. I will also google it on the BH site to read up on.

https://www.wikihow.com/Calculate-Diminished-Value
You're stretching credibility in trying to apply diminished value to an ancient Subaru. From what you have said it will not have a salvage title or anything like that. Fenders get dents and bumper bend. They can be repaired. Arguably if they use new Subaru parts, which I think would be serious overkill to use, and do the repair properly, your car may end up better than before it was hit.
No, I am not trying to "apply" diminished value - just understand what it means exactly in this situation. Today was the first I have heard the term "diminished value" w.r.t. auto damage so I'm just trying to understand it and do my research. No one has mentioned a salvage title or "totaling" the car thus far. It seems like the shop has a good plan in place and I do have a loaner now.
Diminished value isn't hard. If there were two identical cars for you to choose from, one of which had been in an accident (not totaled but the damaged was fixed, according to the seller) and the other wasn't in an accident, and they were the same price, which would you pick?

How much less would the car that was in an accident have to cost before you'd buy it instead?

That's diminished value in a nutshell.

bottlecap

Post by bottlecap » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:47 pm

FlyAF wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:03 pm
Since we're talking about a 13 y/o car, have it sent to a body shop of your choice and have them pick up the tab. Accidents happen.

Love the classy advice to sue.
+1. Stuff like this is rare, but it happens. Use their loaner, get it fixed, if fixable. Otherwise deal with their insurance company and use the proceeds to buy a new(er) vehicle. You don’t need special advice.

Good luck,

JT

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:53 pm

JAZZISCOOL wrote:
tibbitts wrote:
JAZZISCOOL wrote:
UPDATE - I also wanted to see if anyone had any new info on the doctrine of "diminished value" in the insurance industry?

My agent mentioned it (without specific advice). I found this article and understand the general idea but don't know how to apply it to this situation exactly. I'm not that worried with an older car but was just curious. I will also google it on the BH site to read up on.

You're stretching credibility in trying to apply diminished value to an ancient Subaru. From what you have said it will not have a salvage title or anything like that. Fenders get dents and bumper bend. They can be repaired. Arguably if they use new Subaru parts, which I think would be serious overkill to use, and do the repair properly, your car may end up better than before it was hit.
No, I am not trying to "apply" diminished value - just understand what it means exactly in this situation. Today was the first I have heard the term "diminished value" w.r.t. auto damage so I'm just trying to understand it and do my research. No one has mentioned a salvage title or "totaling" the car thus far. It seems like the shop has a good plan in place and I do have a loaner now.
That's why I said "From what you have said it will not have a salvage title or anything like that" - because nobody including you mentioned that. You wrote you "don't know how to apply it", which implied to me that you were trying to determine how to apply diminished value.

Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:56 pm

Colorado13 wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:43 pm
A couple of my friends claim that their Outbacks are really impressive and safe in snow. I've never driven one, so can't confirm that. But considering tomorrow's forecast of snow (after ~80 degrees outside today!), my advice is to be extra cautious driving the rental in case it's not as good in snow as your Outback.

I'm sorry this happened to you. It sounds like the mechanic is trying to resolve this in a reasonable manner so hopefully you will have your car back soon.
Thanks! Yes, Outbacks do well in the snow for sure. The loaner is a Lexus SUV so I'm sure will do fine if I need to go anywhere tomorrow! Yes, our crazy Colorado weather LOL.

I wish it didn't happen but I'm just glad no one was injured, etc., and a plan is in place for the repairs. :happy

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:58 pm

Take pictures and document everything. I have always called out agent who has provided guidance.
John C. Bogle - Two Fund Portfolio: Total Stock & Total Bond. "Simplicity is the master key to financial success."

Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:59 pm

Whakamole wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:46 pm
JAZZISCOOL wrote:
tibbitts wrote:
JAZZISCOOL wrote:

Diminished value isn't hard. If there were two identical cars for you to choose from, one of which had been in an accident (not totaled but the damaged was fixed, according to the seller) and the other wasn't in an accident, and they were the same price, which would you pick?

How much less would the car that was in an accident have to cost before you'd buy it instead?

That's diminished value in a nutshell.
Thanks! This is a good explanation. Given the current age and KBB value, etc., of my car, I'm not that worried but given my insurance agent mentioned it, I thought I should research the meaning.

Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:07 pm

tibbitts wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:53 pm
JAZZISCOOL wrote:
tibbitts wrote:
JAZZISCOOL wrote:

That's why I said "From what you have said it will not have a salvage title or anything like that" - because nobody including you mentioned that. You wrote you "don't know how to apply it", which implied to me that you were trying to determine how to apply diminished value.
Thanks for noting that. I wasn't as clear as I could have been. I meant "apply" to my situation overall, not use as a point in a negotiation at this stage. I was trying to research and understand the concept to see if/how it might impact this situation (if at all). Thanks. :)

Elsebet

Post by Elsebet » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:18 pm

Makes me sad and afraid at what kind of world we live in where people jump on the lawsuit train so quickly. Your mechanic sounds like they are proactively trying to make the unfortunate situation right and I would allow them to do so. I'm sure they are terribly embarrassed for this to happen to the vehicle of a long time customer.

I always try to put myself in the other person's shoes and treat them as I'd want to be treated if the situation were reversed. When I was in my 20's the sun got into my eyes around a corner and traffic was stopped just ahead. I rear ended the person in front of me. He was a huge man and got out of his car, I was shaking so hard I could barely think/talk. I was not only scared after the accident I was ready for a verbal lashing. Instead he calmly asked if I needed medical help and never raised his voice or sued me even though it was 100% my fault. When we were rear-ended recently we treated the at fault person the same way because I never forgot how kindly that gentleman treated me. Accidents happen folks, a little kindness can go a long way!
Last edited by Elsebet on Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca

Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:21 pm

Mr. Rumples wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:20 pm
Maybe I missed it, but was there a police report? Was a ticket issued? That then begs the question of what was the driver's driving record like? Accidents happen, but if the driver had prior accidents, then should they have had the mechanic behind the wheel?
The owner told me there is a police report (I requested a copy.) They did not mention if a ticket was issued or not since the mechanic hit a truck that was parked. Not sure where that driver was. I don't know if the police would issue a moving violation in this type of situation.

Good point about the mechanic. I have been going to this shop for about 5 years and believe (or hope) that they perform good background checks on their employees but not sure they would know their driving history. The owner said he was only driving about 15 mph when the accident happened but that sounds like a lot of damage for that rate of speed (?). I haven't been in an accident personally for years but I know body work is expensive.

Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:28 pm

Elsebet wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:18 pm
Makes me sad and afraid at what kind of world we live in where people jump on the lawsuit train so quickly. Your mechanic sounds like they are proactively trying to make the situation right and I would allow them to do so.
Thank you. I agree they are trying to be proactive. Accidents happen in life, unfortunately.

Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:36 pm

Elsebet wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:18 pm
Makes me sad and afraid at what kind of world we live in where people jump on the lawsuit train so quickly. Your mechanic sounds like they are proactively trying to make the unfortunate situation right and I would allow them to do so. I'm sure they are terribly embarrassed for this to happen to the vehicle of a long time customer.

I always try to put myself in the other person's shoes and treat them as I'd want to be treated if the situation were reversed. When I was in my 20's the sun got into my eyes around a corner and traffic was stopped just ahead. I rear ended the person in front of me. He was a huge man and got out of his car, I was shaking so hard I could barely think/talk. I was not only scared after the accident I was ready for a verbal lashing. Instead he calmly asked if I needed medical help and never raised his voice or sued me even though it was 100% my fault. When we were rear-ended recently we treated the at fault person the same way because I never forgot how kindly that gentleman treated me. Accidents happen folks, a little kindness can go a long way!
Wow! That was a kind man who you rear-ended in your 20's. Yes, sometimes it is hard to be empathetic in some situations but I am sure the owners feel badly about what happened and the employees are always nice to me when I get work done there so I really didn't want to make a tough situation worse. I also try to think about "karma" over the long term. :happy

Cubicle

Post by Cubicle » Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:07 pm

The only thing I'd go out of my way to do would be get a 2nd opinion, right after its fixed, about the structural & mechanical integrity of the car. Frame, engine/transmission mounts, hoses/lines, etc... So there is a correctable problem, its noted & done now. Not after a few months & when there could be doubt if you were the one who did something. Granted your mechanic said they will warranty the repairs... Can you at least get that in writing? I'd also get the repair shop's invoice & list of parts used.

No harm in having a a 2nd opinion & labor & parts list if you ever sold the car, or got into an accident & there was any question if this accident played a role in any future accident. At least you can say "it was done here, with these parts, & a 2nd mechanic looked over the car & found no defects; I didn't hack job repair it myself".

Whakamole

Post by Whakamole » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:11 am

JAZZISCOOL wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:59 pm

Thanks! This is a good explanation. Given the current age and KBB value, etc., of my car, I'm not that worried but given my insurance agent mentioned it, I thought I should research the meaning.
Right. At that age, it's not just an accident (most cars that age have had some kind of repair), but how well the owner has taken care of it, etc. People buying normal cars that old are usually doing it based on price, and don't expect to have cars with one owner that have babied the car. So impact is minimal. It might even be worth more depending on how much they need to replace/fix.

Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:35 am

JAZZISCOOL wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:21 pm
Mr. Rumples wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:20 pm
Maybe I missed it, but was there a police report? Was a ticket issued? That then begs the question of what was the driver's driving record like? Accidents happen, but if the driver had prior accidents, then should they have had the mechanic behind the wheel?
The owner told me there is a police report (I requested a copy.) They did not mention if a ticket was issued or not since the mechanic hit a truck that was parked. Not sure where that driver was. I don't know if the police would issue a moving violation in this type of situation.

Good point about the mechanic. I have been going to this shop for about 5 years and believe (or hope) that they perform good background checks on their employees but not sure they would know their driving history. The owner said he was only driving about 15 mph when the accident happened but that sounds like a lot of damage for that rate of speed (?). I haven't been in an accident personally for years but I know body work is expensive.
First you need all the facts: insist on getting the police report; If he won't give it to you immediately, contact the police for a copy/see form link below, something isn't right. In Colorado, driving records are available for this information since you are an interested party (form link below). Generally, an accident on private property won't result in a police report; on public property it is determined by injuries, death and the amount of damage. In most states, the police report will include a space for recording any tickets. In some states, the police report will also have spaces all along the perimeter with alpha and numeric codes. The police dept. can provide the key to the codes, providing some clarity to what happened. The driver may have been distracted, but the officer may not have issued a ticket for example.

For their insurance, the company should have checked the driving record and most likely ran a criminal history report with state police. Note I said should and most likely.

I have a 19 year old Honda to which I am very attached. Personally, I would just take the full resale book value and be done with it if there was a hint of negligence by the company (for example, not screening employee's driving records - a vehicle repair company which permits someone with a string of motor vehicle violations to drive a vehicle anywhere, even on private property, IMHO is negligent). 15 MPH is pretty slow. You can google images of vehicle damage by speed. You can also visit where it happened just to see if there are any tire marks on the pavement (doubtful, but who knows).

https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/dmv/report-accident

https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/sites/ ... 2489_0.pdf

Daryl

Post by Daryl » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:59 am

It sounds like you have a great mechanic who cares about his/her work, reputation, and customers. It is really unfortunate that this happened and I'm sure he/she is so embarrassed right now! If I were in your shoes, I'd be contacting the owner of the other vehicle (the one your mechanic hit with your car) just to confirm that they have everything they need in this situation. I read the thread fairly quickly and may have missed this.

The mechanic isn't going to charge you for the initial work that you requested and they will treat you and your family's fleet of vehicles with the upmost care as long as you continue using his/her shop. I wouldn't hesitate to take my car to this shop if I lived in the area, and knew the name.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:25 am

Hit a truck tire. Ok. I'm curious what's wrecked. Years ago, I had a pile of firewood in front of our 08 Outback (same generation) and one of my kids went out to move it, drove into the firewood, bending the control arm. $275 for the control arm, $25 for an end link and shipping. I replaced it in my garage. We had no body damage. A truck tire could very well be lower than my pile of wood. Wondering if this was just suspension work.

I do have to chuckle a little on worrying about diminished value. That's gotta be what? $12?
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

tea_pirate

Post by tea_pirate » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:58 am

NewbieBogle007 wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:37 pm
I'm amazed at the replies.

1. I would suggest NOT calling your own insurance company.
Terrible advice, you can and will be dropped by your insurance company if you attempt to conceal an accident from them and they find out about it later.

t885

Post by t885 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:18 am

tea_pirate wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:58 am
NewbieBogle007 wrote:

Terrible advice, you can and will be dropped by your insurance company if you attempt to conceal an accident from them and they find out about it later.
Wrong.

The garage will have insurance that covers property that is in their "care, custody and control" . It's really not that complicated. Accidents happen the garage has insurance to cover the incident. End of story.

LOL at the advice to "sue". Really?
There are two kinds of forecasters: those who don't know, and those who don't know they don't know

Grasshopper

Post by Grasshopper » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:08 am

After talking with your insurance company if it was me I would check my C.L.U.E. report it see if it was reported in 6 months.

https://personalreports.lexisnexis.com/ ... losure.jsp

Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:08 am

Cubicle wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:07 pm
The only thing I'd go out of my way to do would be get a 2nd opinion, right after its fixed, about the structural & mechanical integrity of the car. Frame, engine/transmission mounts, hoses/lines, etc... So there is a correctable problem, its noted & done now. Not after a few months & when there could be doubt if you were the one who did something. Granted your mechanic said they will warranty the repairs... Can you at least get that in writing? I'd also get the repair shop's invoice & list of parts used.

No harm in having a a 2nd opinion & labor & parts list if you ever sold the car, or got into an accident & there was any question if this accident played a role in any future accident. At least you can say "it was done here, with these parts, & a 2nd mechanic looked over the car & found no defects; I didn't hack job repair it myself".
This is a good suggestion, thanks!

Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:26 am

Daryl wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:59 am
It sounds like you have a great mechanic who cares about his/her work, reputation, and customers. It is really unfortunate that this happened and I'm sure he/she is so embarrassed right now! If I were in your shoes, I'd be contacting the owner of the other vehicle (the one your mechanic hit with your car) just to confirm that they have everything they need in this situation. I read the thread fairly quickly and may have missed this.

The mechanic isn't going to charge you for the initial work that you requested and they will treat you and your family's fleet of vehicles with the upmost care as long as you continue using his/her shop. I wouldn't hesitate to take my car to this shop if I lived in the area, and knew the name.
Thanks. Good points. I have requested the police report and I assume the owner of the truck the employee hit would be named in the report, but I am not 100% sure about this. The owner told me he "may need" a new tire but there was no body damage on the other vehicle.

Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:27 am

Grasshopper wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:08 am
After talking with your insurance company if it was me I would check my C.L.U.E. report it see if it was reported in 6 months.

Thanks, this is a good suggestion.

Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:43 am

Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:25 am
Hit a truck tire. Ok. I'm curious what's wrecked. Years ago, I had a pile of firewood in front of our 08 Outback (same generation) and one of my kids went out to move it, drove into the firewood, bending the control arm. $275 for the control arm, $25 for an end link and shipping. I replaced it in my garage. We had no body damage. A truck tire could very well be lower than my pile of wood. Wondering if this was just suspension work.

I do have to chuckle a little on worrying about diminished value. That's gotta be what? $12?
The owner said it was the front bumper, one head light, the fender, the wheel and a couple of suspension items (e.g. lower control arm, strut) and fender liners around the wheel.

Ok to laugh ; ' ) Sometimes it is ok to ask questions that may seem obvious to others LOL. I am here to learn and I do learn a lot from BH's! $12 could be close for the "diminished value". But as the original owner, I'm a bit sentimental. :D

CurlyDave

Post by CurlyDave » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:52 am

JAZZISCOOL wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:00 pm
miamivice wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:48 pm
How old is older?

Are you in the market for a new (or new to you) vehicle? I think that I would probably ask the mechanic to buy the vehicle at market value from me, and then I would buy a new to me vehicle instead. I wouldn't want a car that had been in a collision and repaired, due to no fault of my own.
2006 Subaru Outback. No, I was not in the market for a new vehicle for at least 1-2 years or so.
Almost any insurance company will total that car if there is substantial damage. If not try to get it totaled.

Save a little bit by not paying for whatever work was done.

Get another car and be done with it. Find another shop.

Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:53 am

Thanks, Mr. Rumples » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:35 am.

Lots of good info in your last post.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:00 am

JAZZISCOOL wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:43 am

The owner said it was the front bumper, one head light, the fender, the wheel and a couple of suspension items (e.g. lower control arm, strut) and fender liners around the wheel.

Ok to laugh ; ' ) Sometimes it is ok to ask questions that may seem obvious to others LOL. I am here to learn and I do learn a lot from BH's! $12 could be close for the "diminished value". But as the original owner, I'm a bit sentimental. :D
This is all good news. Easy bolt on replacements. I get parts at a local pick-a-part junkyard and if they happened to have a same color outback there, it would mean no paint work would even need to be done. The fender there would be $35 (they're priced online...any fender is that price), bumper about the same. Control arm and strut will likely be new at $350 or so. Head light $20.

I get the sentimental thing. We got our Outback from my father in law when he bought a new Forester. He had recently been hit by a merging car on the highway which put a very small dent in the fender. He was at our house saying he had "his guy" who was going to repair it. I asked why he'd even bother since the car was over 10 years old. This is the car my son got run into. I carefully fixed the dent with my 10 pound sledge hammer. :greedy

This accident is far from "wrecked". This would be called an easy fix by most people. Heck...I could do this myself. Although the control arm is a pain to change, a real mechanic would do it with no issue.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

tea_pirate

Post by tea_pirate » Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:07 am

t885 wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:18 am
tea_pirate wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:58 am
NewbieBogle007 wrote:

Wrong.

The garage will have insurance that covers property that is in their "care, custody and control" . It's really not that complicated. Accidents happen the garage has insurance to cover the incident. End of story.

LOL at the advice to "sue". Really?
What are you even talking about? Regardless of if the garage's insurance repairs the vehicle, OP is still required to report the accident to his insurance company.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:47 am

I'd just let them get it fixed like it seems like they are doing. It is a 13 year old Subaru that it sounds like you are getting rid of in a year or two. I wouldn't want to file an unnecessary claim on my insurance.

Is it worth it carrying full insurance on a 13 year old car?

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:50 am

Notifying your insurance company is not the same as filing a claim. You are supposed to notify them, claim or not (or so I was told by my insurance company).

Apparently people do not know this (I didn't) or they want to ignore it.

Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:58 am

michaeljc70 wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:47 am
I'd just let them get it fixed like it seems like they are doing. It is a 13 year old Subaru that it sounds like you are getting rid of in a year or two. I wouldn't want to file an unnecessary claim on my insurance.

Is it worth it carrying full insurance on a 13 year old car?
Thanks. My guess is that many people would probably not carry full insurance on a 13-year old car. I will need to discuss this with my insurance agent.

Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:02 am

you could call insurance file a claim and have another shop do the repair, but then your insurance might go up in price

You could let them fix it and life sucks, nothing you can do about it.

Tell them you are considering filing a claim/suing but would settle for them fixing the car PLUS, not sure about the plus, but just fixing the car obviously your car is worth less in resale and time and convenience of this happening, so maybe they give you a warranty, but most of those warranty's are only disaster insurance. so maybe the plus is future oil changes for free, or future amount of repairs for free, like $1,000 of future labor.

atikovi

Post by atikovi » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:24 pm

t885 wrote:
Their insurance would only cover negligence. The few times I've left a car at a shop there is a disclaimer I have to sign something to the effect that the shop isn't responsible for damage beyond willful negligence. It was an accident. You're collision insurance should cover it.

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:42 pm

atikovi wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:24 pm

Their insurance would only cover negligence. The few times I've left a car at a shop there is a disclaimer I have to sign something to the effect that the shop isn't responsible for damage beyond willful negligence. It was an accident. You're collision insurance should cover it.
So you have additional information that contradicts the OP, who already posted that "their insurance company (State Farm) will pay for everything"?

Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:43 pm

atikovi wrote:
t885 wrote:
Thanks.

No, I did not sign anything when I left the car there (independent shop not a dealer). Also, the owner told me their commercial insurance policy would cover everything. My own insurance agent also told me to let their insurance company cover this.

My agent mentioned that most auto shops would have something called "Garagekeepers' Insurance":

"Provides coverage for accidental direct physical loss to vehicles in the insured's care, custody, or control caused by comprehensive or collision damage. The coverage provided is on a direct (primary) basis without regard to the insured's legal liability."

This is an example of a type of this coverage from what I understand:

https://www.statefarm.com/small-busines ... -insurance

This has been a bit of a learning curve for me, needless to say. :|

atikovi

Post by atikovi » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:53 pm

neilpilot wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:42 pm
atikovi wrote:

So you have additional information that contradicts the OP, who already posted that "their insurance company (State Farm) will pay for everything"?
That's great but not what I see on disclaimers posted in shops or written on invoices where I've taken cars to.

Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:54 pm

Grasshopper wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:08 am

Thanks. I wasn't aware of this report. Another BH member told me about this yesterday as well. Good advice and I have a note to remind me about it in 6 months.

Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:56 pm

atikovi wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:53 pm
neilpilot wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:42 pm
atikovi wrote:

That's great but not what I see on disclaimers posted in shops or written on invoices where I've taken cars to.
Thanks. As I recall, when I have taken my car to a DEALERSHIP, I have also had to sign similar things when I dropped the car off (or even waited for it).

Mursili

Post by Mursili » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:03 pm

JAZZISCOOL wrote:
The owner said he was only driving about 15 mph when the accident happened but that sounds like a lot of damage for that rate of speed (?). I haven't been in an accident personally for years but I know body work is expensive.
My daughter struck a parked car (sun in her eyes) at about 25 MPH. The damage was significant. An airbag deployed and the front is significantly deformed. Just the cost to replace the seat belts is not minimal.
When it comes to havoc, no one wreaks like me! - Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz

Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:20 pm

Mursili wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:03 pm
JAZZISCOOL wrote:
The owner said he was only driving about 15 mph when the accident happened but that sounds like a lot of damage for that rate of speed (?). I haven't been in an accident personally for years but I know body work is expensive.
My daughter struck a parked car (sun in her eyes) at about 25 MPH. The damage was significant. An airbag deployed and the front is significantly deformed. Just the cost to replace the seat belts is not minimal.
Wow. I hope she is ok! Good data point to compare. The airbags did not go off in my car from what they told me.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:24 pm

atikovi wrote:
t885 wrote:
Whether their insurance covers it or not, they are responsible. Just like if a valet hands you a ticket saying we take no responsibility and then totals your car. So, if they hire a guy with little experience and he blows out your engine doing the oil change, they aren't responsible because of some sign or something in the fine print? There are probably state/local laws that would render such language useless but I'm not a lawyer.

Mursili

Post by Mursili » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:59 pm

JAZZISCOOL wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:20 pm
Mursili wrote:
Wow. I hope she is ok! Good data point to compare. The airbags did not go off in my car from what they told me.
She is fine now, but the airbag and seatbelts are what caused most of the damage to the car and her. One of the few examples where modern safety tech is actually a negative.
When it comes to havoc, no one wreaks like me! - Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz

Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL » Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:11 pm

Mursili wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:59 pm
JAZZISCOOL wrote:
Mursili wrote:
She is fine now, but the airbag and seatbelts are what caused most of the damage to the car and her. One of the few examples where modern safety tech is actually a negative.
I'm glad she's ok! I have heard airbags can cause injuries.

jucor

Post by jucor » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:28 am

Mursili wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:59 pm
JAZZISCOOL wrote:
Mursili wrote:
Hitting a stopped object at 25 mph without airbags and modern seatbelts and crumple zones would likely result in serious injuries -- multiple broken bones, etc. The $$ cost for replacing the safety items on a modern car is, IMHO, well worth it when compared to the likelihood of greater injury without them. I was in a car accident in 1978 at similar speed (lap belt, no other safety equipment) and spent 6 weeks in a hospital and still have lingering effects from that crash. A few weeks ago a friend was t-boned and rolled over 3 times and walked away thanks to modern car safety design. That's a massive positive, not a negative.

Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

**UPDATE** My mechanic just wrecked my Subaru

Post by JAZZISCOOL » Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:41 pm

I posted about this situation last week and received a number of helpful BH posts, so thanks.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=292216

UPDATE

My mechanic’s insurance adjuster went out to examine the car yesterday and they decided to repair it. It was close to being “totaled” so I’m glad they have approved the $3,100 repair (frame was not bent). Otherwise, I would have had to deal with a possible salvage title or going out to buy another car so I am relieved.

The insurance company put me in another Subaru Outback rental (2019) until my car is fixed.

Also, the owner said he’s going to give me 4 new tires which I thought was very nice! The old set from Costco was wearing down.

Finally, I didn’t have to file a claim with my own insurance carrier so no deductible payment either. So, overall, it seems like the situation will be coming to a reasonable resolution. :happy

student

Re: **UPDATE** My mechanic just wrecked my Subaru

Post by student » Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:49 pm

Thank you for the update.

Flyer24

Post by Flyer24 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:13 pm

Update has been merged with original thread.

Helo80

Post by Helo80 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:34 pm

JAZZISCOOL wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:25 pm
miamivice wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:06 pm
JAZZISCOOL wrote:

For a 13 year old Subaru, you don't have diminished value. It won't be worth less money in case of resale due to the accident. I wouldn't pursue it because the shop probably won't give it to you and then you'd be stuck arguing with a company that treated you well. I'd just move on.
Thanks. This is good to know. I didn't think it would be a factor but thought I would ask the wise people on BH. :happy

Great question to ask... and $3100 is a bit more damage than I thought had occurred.

I'll be straight with you as if you were my brother... I'm not well versed in DV claims in that I can tell you all the ins and outs of them and had to go after an insurer... and I'm certainly no fan of the vast majority of auto insurers... but a claim on a 13 year old Subaru would be difficult to get any meaningful amount out of. If somebody wants a wreck-free car, don't buy one that's 13 years old. Granted, I know many BHs likely have or have had 13+ year old cars that are incident free.

Did you describe the damage anywhere in this thread ?? (it's rather long). Depending on where and how extensive the damage is, I'll give you my two cents whether you should hire an independent assessor (these are generally $300-$500) to go after DV. But, assuming you have 100k+ miles on the vehicle... and it being 13 years old.... the most I would hope for, sight unseen, damage unseen, is maybe $250. If your state requires DV claims to be paid out (many do), you'd be lucky to get a nominal amount. If it were my car, what would piss me off more is if the insuring party said that, "No, your car is too old for DV claims" where state law makes no statement on age, mileage or value of a car for DV claims. To me, that would be opening shot to take the insurer to a small claims court for some nominal value of like $200 just to be a d*** to them. (note: fully admit, that phone CSRs who make stuff up on the fly to protect million/billion dollar companies are a pet peeve of mine and you could probably say trigger me)

Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue » Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:40 pm

Helo80 wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:34 pm

Did you describe the damage anywhere in this thread ?? (it's rather long).

Better to scan before posting. The OP just provided an update on the outcome three posts above yours.

Cheers

Helo80

Post by Helo80 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:45 pm

Silk McCue wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:40 pm
Helo80 wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:34 pm

Did you describe the damage anywhere in this thread ?? (it's rather long).

Better to scan before posting. The OP just provided an update on the outcome three posts above yours.

Cheers
All I see is $3100 in damage as I mentioned in my post. I need specifics on what was damaged and not just total costs. Though, it does not sound like OP is going after DV, and odds are, with age/mileage.

EDIT: Found it, but your comment was not helpful where I was trying to help OP.
Last edited by Helo80 on Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.