Would or should you tip AAA road assistance?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
tim1999

Re: Would or should you tip AAA road assistance?

Post by tim1999 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:46 pm

I once tipped an AAA-provided tow truck driver $20 after he pulled my stuck car out of an off-road area that was technically not covered by the AAA plan, since it was not adjacent to or accessible from a public road. It was basically in the middle of a 30 acre muddy private property construction site I was working on. It was in the dark, the guy got covered in mud in the process, and he could have easily refused to help due to the plan restrictions. He really saved my rear end that evening, especially since he didn't charge me a dime. I would have tipped him more, but $20 was all I had on me.

Since then I haven't tipped for the usual basic roadside AAA tire changes.

EddyB

Post by EddyB » Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:49 pm

tesuzuki2002 wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:59 pm
dm200 wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:26 pm
I am not a "big tipper", but regard tipping as a "necessary evil" in the US. I tip normal amounts at restaurants, taxicabs, and Hair Cuttery, hotel assistance with luggage, etc. I rarely ask for or need/want special or extra services.

For AAA Roadside assistance and/or being towed to a repair facility - and not requesting or needing any extra or special service, is a tip for the AAA assistance driver "normal" or "fair" or "expected"? I have never given a tip in such cases, but after being towed recently - I am now wondering what might be "common" or "expected"?
No, I paid for the service at the advertised price.
I don’t disagree with the conclusion, but it that’s supposed to be the way to answer the question, wouldn’t it pretty much knock out all the other tipping we seem to be expected to do?

student

Post by student » Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:55 pm

I called AAA once many years ago to change a flat tire. I think I tipped $5.

Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe » Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:57 pm

dm200 wrote:
I am not a "big tipper", but regard tipping as a "necessary evil" in the US. I tip normal amounts at restaurants, taxicabs, and Hair Cuttery, hotel assistance with luggage, etc. I rarely ask for or need/want special or extra services.

For AAA Roadside assistance and/or being towed to a repair facility - and not requesting or needing any extra or special service, is a tip for the AAA assistance driver "normal" or "fair" or "expected"? I have never given a tip in such cases, but after being towed recently - I am now wondering what might be "common" or "expected"?
No, I have never tipped AAA.

Beehave

Post by Beehave » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:37 pm

fortfun wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:37 am
dm200 wrote:

The older I get and the more money I acquire, the more generous I have gotten in terms of tipping. Most of these service people are not paid enough to pay these basic necessities. If you have the money, I'd recommend tipping service people that are making minimum wage. At least they are out there trying to earn a living and most of those jobs are not fun. Maybe tow truck drivers are paid better than I think.
+1 . . . . Exactly.

I'm not rich but I can afford it now and remember very well when I was in their shoes and couldn't.

For all the people who don't give to the homeless on the corner because they think they should get a job, these are the people who have that job and often can barely get by on their pay despite working their tails off.

Topic Author
dm200

Post by dm200 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:52 am

Beehave wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:37 pm
fortfun wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:37 am
dm200 wrote:
The older I get and the more money I acquire, the more generous I have gotten in terms of tipping. Most of these service people are not paid enough to pay these basic necessities. If you have the money, I'd recommend tipping service people that are making minimum wage. At least they are out there trying to earn a living and most of those jobs are not fun. Maybe tow truck drivers are paid better than I think.
+1 . . . . Exactly.

I'm not rich but I can afford it now and remember very well when I was in their shoes and couldn't.
For all the people who don't give to the homeless on the corner because they think they should get a job, these are the people who have that job and often can barely get by on their pay despite working their tails off.
Yes - a dilemma for many of us.

I do not give money to the "homeless on the corner" - but for different reasons:
1. I financially support an organization that provides assistance to such folks
2. My local government (where I pay taxes) provides a degree of assistance to such folks
3. From firsthand knowledge (the organization in #1 above) - many of such folks actually receive money every month from Social Security, other retirement, SSDI or SSI. I was surprised to learn how much - and from what sources - some of these homeless folks receive each month. For some of these folks, where I am personally aware of their situation, there is no amount of money they could receive each month that would get them off the street. One case I know is a woman who has a lot of "friends" at the beginning of the month when she gets her money - but in a week or two, all the money if gone for drugs. Then, she is begging again.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:01 am

EddyB wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:49 pm
tesuzuki2002 wrote:
dm200 wrote:

I don’t disagree with the conclusion, but it that’s supposed to be the way to answer the question, wouldn’t it pretty much knock out all the other tipping we seem to be expected to do?
What other tipping are we "supposed" to do? I eat out less than once a year, but when I do, I tip as that is an accepted social norm and there is a strong likelihood the server is reliant on tips to make a standard minimum wage. Otherwise, the idea never even crosses my mind because I've actually done a lot of these jobs and never been tipped (or expected to be).

EddyB

Post by EddyB » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:21 pm

stoptothink wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:01 am
EddyB wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:49 pm
tesuzuki2002 wrote:
dm200 wrote:

What other tipping are we "supposed" to do? I eat out less than once a year, but when I do, I tip as that is an accepted social norm and there is a strong likelihood the server is reliant on tips to make a standard minimum wage. Otherwise, the idea never even crosses my mind because I've actually done a lot of these jobs and never been tipped (or expected to be).
That's the open question, right? Although I meant "expected" by the service provider, not necessarily "expected" by society, which is when I think "expected" means "supposed to." Without even trying to be comprehensive, there are threads on this site discussing (and often hotly debating!) tipping in the context of counter-service fast food, catering, movers, coffee-shop cashiers and baristas, kids' birthday party hosts, guides, buffets, interior designers, pet sitters, dog kennels, HVAC installers, hotel rooms, cruise ships, rain gutter installers, nail salons, painters, contractors, carpet installers, FedEx/UPS, roofers, hair stylists/barbers, TV repair, appliance delivery, drivers (taxi vs. Uber/Lyft), letter carriers, sanitation workers, valets, and house cleaners.

windaar

Post by windaar » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:30 pm

If I can give a bartender a buck for handing me a beer, I can give a ten-spot to someone who has literally saved me when I'm stranded!

drawpoker

Post by drawpoker » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:11 pm

EddyB wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:21 pm
....... tipping in the context of counter-service fast food, catering, movers, coffee-shop cashiers and baristas, kids' birthday party hosts, guides, buffets, interior designers, pet sitters, dog kennels, HVAC installers, hotel rooms, cruise ships, rain gutter installers, nail salons, painters, contractors, carpet installers, FedEx/UPS, roofers, hair stylists/barbers, TV repair, appliance delivery, drivers (taxi vs. Uber/Lyft), letter carriers, sanitation workers, valets, and house cleaners.
Hey, You left off your list the most important one of all. Delivery guy from the florist :D (And, Yes, you are expected to tip them)

Not trying to go off-topic but - your list seems to lump together a hodge-podge of occupations and workers that don't really belong together. When discussing who gets tipped and who doesn't.

Many of the ones you cited (nail salons, pet sitters, hair stylists, house cleaners, sanitation workers) fall into the group that customarily receive a nice Xmas gift instead of regular tips throughout the year.

If you have the same hard-working house cleaner who has served you once or twice a week for a year, well, you wouldn't ordinarily tip each visit. But you would want to show your gratitude at the end of the year. Same thing with the guys who pick up your trash. (Assuming it is the same people for all, or, most, of the preceding year)

Nail salon techs and hair stylists is a mixed bag. Customarily you tip at each visit but if it is the same person all year, you would remember them with a nice gift card (or cash) at Xmas, right? Then your hairdresser presents you with a gift bag of goodies, beauty and grooming items. (Sure, she/he gets it all free from the manufacturer reps, but, hey, it's the thought that counts, right :wink:

The FedEx or UPS drivers? I guess if there is a regular guy doing your route, and you do get a number of packages on the high side during the year, a Xmas gift would be a nice gesture. In our neck of the woods that is not the custom however.

TBillT

Post by TBillT » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:41 pm

I just did tip the AAA road repair guy...he was not expecting...he wanted good rating but I never saw a rating form. He did good job.
Crazy trip I had 2 unrelated breakdowns and felt bad for not tipping the first repair shop, so I did tip the AAA guy.

Random Musings

Post by Random Musings » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:42 pm

drawpoker wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:11 pm
EddyB wrote:
....... tipping in the context of counter-service fast food, catering, movers, coffee-shop cashiers and baristas, kids' birthday party hosts, guides, buffets, interior designers, pet sitters, dog kennels, HVAC installers, hotel rooms, cruise ships, rain gutter installers, nail salons, painters, contractors, carpet installers, FedEx/UPS, roofers, hair stylists/barbers, TV repair, appliance delivery, drivers (taxi vs. Uber/Lyft), letter carriers, sanitation workers, valets, and house cleaners.
Hey, You left off your list the most important one of all. Delivery guy from the florist :D (And, Yes, you are expected to tip them)

Not trying to go off-topic but - your list seems to lump together a hodge-podge of occupations and workers that don't really belong together. When discussing who gets tipped and who doesn't.

Many of the ones you cited (nail salons, pet sitters, hair stylists, house cleaners, sanitation workers) fall into the group that customarily receive a nice Xmas gift instead of regular tips throughout the year.

If you have the same hard-working house cleaner who has served you once or twice a week for a year, well, you wouldn't ordinarily tip each visit. But you would want to show your gratitude at the end of the year. Same thing with the guys who pick up your trash. (Assuming it is the same people for all, or, most, of the preceding year)

Nail salon techs and hair stylists is a mixed bag. Customarily you tip at each visit but if it is the same person all year, you would remember them with a nice gift card (or cash) at Xmas, right? Then your hairdresser presents you with a gift bag of goodies, beauty and grooming items. (Sure, she/he gets it all free from the manufacturer reps, but, hey, it's the thought that counts, right :wink:

The FedEx or UPS drivers? I guess if there is a regular guy doing your route, and you do get a number of packages on the high side during the year, a Xmas gift would be a nice gesture. In our neck of the woods that is not the custom however.
Boy, is this confusing. Perhaps someone can write the "Definitive Book of Modern Day Tipping" that I can dutifully ignore. I'll continue to donate to the charities of my choice instead. Do what makes you feel good, but I can't tip the world.

RM
I figure the odds be fifty-fifty I just might have something to say. FZ

EddyB

Post by EddyB » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:57 pm

drawpoker wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:11 pm
EddyB wrote:

My only claim regarding the extent to which they belong together is that they’re occupations/settings about which people in this very forum have expressed uncertainty and conflicting opinions regarding tipping.

drawpoker

Post by drawpoker » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:58 am

Random Musings wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:42 pm
....is this confusing. Perhaps someone can write the "Definitive Book of Modern Day Tipping" ......
Well, some say Emily Post would be the authority on that.

But, apparently her porch light has gone out.
She writes that an appropriate tip for the restroom attendant at ritzy places is "fifty cents to $2"

Fifty cents? Jeez almighty

Random Musings

Post by Random Musings » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:54 pm

drawpoker wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:58 am
Random Musings wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:42 pm
....is this confusing. Perhaps someone can write the "Definitive Book of Modern Day Tipping" ......
Well, some say Emily Post would be the authority on that.

But, apparently her porch light has gone out.
She writes that an appropriate tip for the restroom attendant at ritzy places is "fifty cents to $2"

Fifty cents? Jeez almighty
On the other hand, I look at it this way. Let's say the restroom attendant makes $10 an hour. On average, ten people visit that restroom each hour and give a $1 tip. So $20 an hour, or $40K a year. Perhaps a busy spot could generate more wages.

Average starting salaries in 2018 for college grads in NY City and Boston is around $60K, plus some other benefits. I hope they all tip the service industry workers extremely well so that they can enjoy income equality with their brethren.

Wages are generally determined by supply/demand and the skill sets needed for the job. What is the rationale for the expanding tipping phenomena, are we to subsidize corporate payroll?

RM

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:59 pm

I have given a small tip each time and they appreciate it.
John C. Bogle: "Simplicity is the master key to financial success."

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:05 pm

Curious how many still use AAA?
John C. Bogle: "Simplicity is the master key to financial success."

Random Musings

Post by Random Musings » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:57 pm

abuss368 wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:05 pm
Curious how many still use AAA?
I use AAA. Towing could come in handy, especially when we traveled out west. Towing can get very expensive in certain areas out there, in those years, we got the higher mileage tow range. Have used to jump start as well, although now you can buy those small portables pretty cheap. When a new tire blew out last year, one lug was locked and they have the equipment to handle it.

RM