Ramit Sethi and psychology of money

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
hariseldon74

Ramit Sethi and psychology of money

Post by hariseldon74 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:20 am

Have any of you heard Ramit Sethi's talk at Google. I was thinking about how I constantly keep thinking I am not saving enough even though I have 4X my networth in 5 years since a tough life change.

I do think he has a good point about spending a large amount on what brings you happiness and a tiny amount on what doesn't. What does everyone think about when trying to get free from the idea of not having enough and contentment being critical in personal finance as well and lavishly spending on what we love

simplesimon

Re: Ramit Sethi and psychology of money

Post by simplesimon » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:43 am

I haven't seen his talk but have been a reader for 10+ years since his website was just a blog.

After expenses are optimized there should be a focus on increasing income.

gr7070

Post by gr7070 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:31 am

Everything in moderation, including saving!

I'm an inherent saver. Best financial decision I've ever made was giving us individual allowances. I spend more (not necessarily a lot) money than I ever would have, on things I never would have. Enriched my life greatly.

Also, most everyone should donate a reasonable amount of money (and time). The act itself teaches you things about money and it's importance, and lack thereof, in your life.

90degreeturns

Post by 90degreeturns » Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:49 pm

Read the book - don't just watch the videos. Some of the things I had already done or implemented but I still got some great nuggets out of the book. Good luck!

retire2022

Post by retire2022 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:01 pm

Op

It would be helpful to provide link:

https://youtu.be/BmAwa1nnB6w

Any of these guru are good talkers, they all more or less say the same thing, at the end of the day,
financial freedom is the goal.

Find one which speaks to you

Savings& investing nothing can replace hard work in the BH wiki getting started.

https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Getting_started

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:27 pm

To keep this actionable, how do these talks affect your own situation? Have you acted on any of the information?
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.