New Honda CR-V vs. 2-3 Year Old CR-V?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
California88
Posts: 43
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:08 pm

Re: New Honda CR-V vs. 2-3 Year Old CR-V?

Post by California88 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:12 am

Chinese Government has STOPPED sale of CRV's because of all these problems.

My health is more important than to drive vehicle with any smell of gas fumes - that's crazy.

researcher
Posts: 1132
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:05 pm

Re: New Honda CR-V vs. 2-3 Year Old CR-V?

Post by researcher » Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:20 pm

core4portfolio wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:10 am
researcher wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:13 pm
But regardless of everything mentioned above, my example still holds, well beyond a $3K difference...
- Used Car: $25,000, 35,000 miles on odometer, 115K usable miles = $0.217391/mile.
- New Car: 0 miles on odometer, 150K usable miles x $0.217391 = $32,609

So you could spend up to $32,609 for the New Car (or $7,609 more than used), and still be at the same cost/mile!
If the cost is the same, I'd much rather drive a brand new vehicle that I hand-pick with zero miles and no use/abuse.
I really dont understood this calculation until now. My OTD price for new 2018 CRV-EX is 25500 and for 150k miles if CR-V engine runs without dying (due to oil dilution) then my cost is $0.17/ mile. Thanks for sharing this useful calculation.
I think most of the "always buy used" advocates focus solely on price and don't factor in the reduced lifespan of used vehicles.

I always use this calculation when determining whether it makes sense to purchase used vs. new.
For the types of cars I buy and my usage habits, buying new is nearly always a better deal.

drg02b
Posts: 131
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:08 pm

Re: New Honda CR-V vs. 2-3 Year Old CR-V?

Post by drg02b » Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:40 pm

researcher wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:20 pm
core4portfolio wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:10 am
researcher wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:13 pm
But regardless of everything mentioned above, my example still holds, well beyond a $3K difference...
- Used Car: $25,000, 35,000 miles on odometer, 115K usable miles = $0.217391/mile.
- New Car: 0 miles on odometer, 150K usable miles x $0.217391 = $32,609

So you could spend up to $32,609 for the New Car (or $7,609 more than used), and still be at the same cost/mile!
If the cost is the same, I'd much rather drive a brand new vehicle that I hand-pick with zero miles and no use/abuse.
I really dont understood this calculation until now. My OTD price for new 2018 CRV-EX is 25500 and for 150k miles if CR-V engine runs without dying (due to oil dilution) then my cost is $0.17/ mile. Thanks for sharing this useful calculation.
I think most of the "always buy used" advocates focus solely on price and don't factor in the reduced lifespan of used vehicles.

I always use this calculation when determining whether it makes sense to purchase used vs. new.
For the types of cars I buy and my usage habits, buying new is nearly always a better deal.
And the added wildcard of how a prior owner, who might have only intended to drive it for 2-3 years treated the car. I used a similar calculation of the average cost over 10 years, but this mileage math makes more sense.

Whakamole
Posts: 1094
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:59 pm

Re: New Honda CR-V vs. 2-3 Year Old CR-V?

Post by Whakamole » Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:44 pm

drg02b wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:40 pm
researcher wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:20 pm
core4portfolio wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:10 am
researcher wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:13 pm
But regardless of everything mentioned above, my example still holds, well beyond a $3K difference...
- Used Car: $25,000, 35,000 miles on odometer, 115K usable miles = $0.217391/mile.
- New Car: 0 miles on odometer, 150K usable miles x $0.217391 = $32,609

So you could spend up to $32,609 for the New Car (or $7,609 more than used), and still be at the same cost/mile!
If the cost is the same, I'd much rather drive a brand new vehicle that I hand-pick with zero miles and no use/abuse.
I really dont understood this calculation until now. My OTD price for new 2018 CRV-EX is 25500 and for 150k miles if CR-V engine runs without dying (due to oil dilution) then my cost is $0.17/ mile. Thanks for sharing this useful calculation.
I think most of the "always buy used" advocates focus solely on price and don't factor in the reduced lifespan of used vehicles.

I always use this calculation when determining whether it makes sense to purchase used vs. new.
For the types of cars I buy and my usage habits, buying new is nearly always a better deal.
And the added wildcard of how a prior owner, who might have only intended to drive it for 2-3 years treated the car. I used a similar calculation of the average cost over 10 years, but this mileage math makes more sense.
Other factors: whether you are handy with cars yourself and can fix routine problems that occur with older cars, have a second car (or good public transit) ready in case it breaks down, don't need a car all the time because you are retired/work from home, etc.

I don't see many (if any) deals on 2-3 year old used cars from the top brands anyway.

bungalow10
Posts: 2253
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:28 am
Location: Chicago North Shore

Re: New Honda CR-V vs. 2-3 Year Old CR-V?

Post by bungalow10 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:52 pm

Maybe I got really lucky, but I bought a 4 year old CR-V EX-L AWD for $20,000. It had 20,000 miles on it. It seems like a deal to me, I am going to pile the miles on it for my daily commute. I bought it from a deal, certified pre-owned.

I agree the new ones are much more attractive and have WAY better bluetooth and audio, but this one has AWD, heated seats, and runs :)
Last edited by bungalow10 on Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
An elephant for a dime is only a good deal if you need an elephant and have a dime.

User avatar
simplesimon
Posts: 3422
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:53 pm
Location: Boston, MA

Re: New Honda CR-V vs. 2-3 Year Old CR-V?

Post by simplesimon » Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:13 pm

bungalow10 wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:52 pm
Maybe I got really lucky, but I bought a 4 year old CR-V EX-L AWD (2wd) for $20,000. It had 20,000 miles on it. It seems like a deal to me, I am going to pile the miles on it for my daily commute. I bought it from a deal, certified pre-owned.

I agree the new ones are much more attractive and have WAY better bluetooth and audio, but this one has AWD, heated seats, and runs :)
Another difference is the safety features like automatic braking, but I don't know how significant this change is.

researcher
Posts: 1132
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:05 pm

Re: New Honda CR-V vs. 2-3 Year Old CR-V?

Post by researcher » Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:03 pm

bungalow10 wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:52 pm
Maybe I got really lucky, but I bought a 4 year old CR-V EX-L AWD (2wd) for $20,000. It had 20,000 miles on it. It seems like a deal to me... I bought it from a deal, certified pre-owned.

I agree the new ones are much more attractive and have WAY better bluetooth and audio, but this one has AWD, heated seats, and runs :)
I'm not sure this is all that great of a deal.
Assuming you plan to drive this for 150K miles, you could have spent $24K on a new one, and been at the same price per mile ($0.154 x 150K).
I think you could have gotten close to that on a new EX.

Plus, this is a 3rd generation CRV dating back to 2011, so it is based on a nearly decade old platform.
It also lacks all of the modern safety features that are standard on the new CR-V.
And as you mention, it lacks many convenience and comfort features as well.

kjvmartin
Posts: 1368
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:57 am

Re: New Honda CR-V vs. 2-3 Year Old CR-V?

Post by kjvmartin » Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:45 pm

The 2019 CR-V is also experiencing battery drain trouble. Google that.

They have also moved to a much less comfortable driver seat. Hard, small. I thought I would be a no brainer CR-V customer after turning in my 2016 lease, but I just can’t. No good anymore.

We love our Odyssey for what it’s worth.

User avatar
tennisplyr
Posts: 2325
Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:53 pm
Location: Sarasota, FL

Re: New Honda CR-V vs. 2-3 Year Old CR-V?

Post by tennisplyr » Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:21 am

simplesimon wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:53 am
tennisplyr wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:31 am
This site might be useful:

www.carcomplaints.com
If one assumes that the most people that post about their cars on the internet are the ones that have issues and complain then the 2019 CRV looks like a big improvement over the previous model years. There are many other variables of course but I appreciate the link. Thank you!
P.S. We just bought a Mazda CX-5 over the CRV and really like it.
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.

bungalow10
Posts: 2253
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:28 am
Location: Chicago North Shore

Re: New Honda CR-V vs. 2-3 Year Old CR-V?

Post by bungalow10 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:18 am

researcher wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:03 pm
bungalow10 wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:52 pm
Maybe I got really lucky, but I bought a 4 year old CR-V EX-L AWD (2wd) for $20,000. It had 20,000 miles on it. It seems like a deal to me... I bought it from a deal, certified pre-owned.

I agree the new ones are much more attractive and have WAY better bluetooth and audio, but this one has AWD, heated seats, and runs :)
I'm not sure this is all that great of a deal.
Assuming you plan to drive this for 150K miles, you could have spent $24K on a new one, and been at the same price per mile ($0.154 x 150K).
I think you could have gotten close to that on a new EX.


Plus, this is a 3rd generation CRV dating back to 2011, so it is based on a nearly decade old platform.
It also lacks all of the modern safety features that are standard on the new CR-V.
And as you mention, it lacks many convenience and comfort features as well.
I was with my mom buying a new 2018 crv Exl awd two years ago and she was closer to 30k. I’d love to know where these 24k new ones are.

I also avoided the transmission and battery issues with the used one.
An elephant for a dime is only a good deal if you need an elephant and have a dime.

jimmo
Posts: 108
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:49 am

Re: New Honda CR-V vs. 2-3 Year Old CR-V?

Post by jimmo » Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:42 am

bungalow10 wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:18 am
researcher wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:03 pm
bungalow10 wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:52 pm
Maybe I got really lucky, but I bought a 4 year old CR-V EX-L AWD (2wd) for $20,000. It had 20,000 miles on it. It seems like a deal to me... I bought it from a deal, certified pre-owned.

I agree the new ones are much more attractive and have WAY better bluetooth and audio, but this one has AWD, heated seats, and runs :)
I'm not sure this is all that great of a deal.
Assuming you plan to drive this for 150K miles, you could have spent $24K on a new one, and been at the same price per mile ($0.154 x 150K).
I think you could have gotten close to that on a new EX.


Plus, this is a 3rd generation CRV dating back to 2011, so it is based on a nearly decade old platform.
It also lacks all of the modern safety features that are standard on the new CR-V.
And as you mention, it lacks many convenience and comfort features as well.
I was with my mom buying a new 2018 crv Exl awd two years ago and she was closer to 30k. I’d love to know where these 24k new ones are.

I also avoided the transmission and battery issues with the used one.
No kidding. The CRV EXL AWD starts at $31K. You may get $3K off MSRP, but nowhere close to $24k.

There's certainly a case for buying new, particularly on brands that hold value and you plan to keep long term, but no need to exaggerate the numbers.

Whakamole
Posts: 1094
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:59 pm

Re: New Honda CR-V vs. 2-3 Year Old CR-V?

Post by Whakamole » Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:26 am

jimmo wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:42 am
bungalow10 wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:18 am
researcher wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:03 pm
bungalow10 wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:52 pm
Maybe I got really lucky, but I bought a 4 year old CR-V EX-L AWD (2wd) for $20,000. It had 20,000 miles on it. It seems like a deal to me... I bought it from a deal, certified pre-owned.

I agree the new ones are much more attractive and have WAY better bluetooth and audio, but this one has AWD, heated seats, and runs :)
I'm not sure this is all that great of a deal.
Assuming you plan to drive this for 150K miles, you could have spent $24K on a new one, and been at the same price per mile ($0.154 x 150K).
I think you could have gotten close to that on a new EX.


Plus, this is a 3rd generation CRV dating back to 2011, so it is based on a nearly decade old platform.
It also lacks all of the modern safety features that are standard on the new CR-V.
And as you mention, it lacks many convenience and comfort features as well.
I was with my mom buying a new 2018 crv Exl awd two years ago and she was closer to 30k. I’d love to know where these 24k new ones are.

I also avoided the transmission and battery issues with the used one.
No kidding. The CRV EXL AWD starts at $31K. You may get $3K off MSRP, but nowhere close to $24k.

There's certainly a case for buying new, particularly on brands that hold value and you plan to keep long term, but no need to exaggerate the numbers.
Maybe they meant the base model (and I mean base.)

jimmo
Posts: 108
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:49 am

Re: New Honda CR-V vs. 2-3 Year Old CR-V?

Post by jimmo » Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:33 pm

^^^In that case, it's an apples to oranges comparison to the purchased $20k used car referenced.

researcher
Posts: 1132
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:05 pm

Re: New Honda CR-V vs. 2-3 Year Old CR-V?

Post by researcher » Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:01 pm

jimmo wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:42 am
bungalow10 wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:18 am
I was with my mom buying a new 2018 crv Exl awd two years ago and she was closer to 30k. I’d love to know where these 24k new ones are.
No kidding. The CRV EXL AWD starts at $31K. You may get $3K off MSRP, but nowhere close to $24k.
First off, bungalow10 stated they purchased a "4 year old CR-V EX-L AWD (2wd)".
I have no clue if that means FWD or AWD.

Secondly, I said you could get "close" to $24K on a new CR-V EX.
This statement is true. All you need to do is look at the prices paid forum...
https://www.crvownersclub.com/threads/2 ... 79/page-15

drg02b
Posts: 131
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:08 pm

Re: New Honda CR-V vs. 2-3 Year Old CR-V?

Post by drg02b » Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:55 pm

researcher wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:01 pm
jimmo wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:42 am
bungalow10 wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:18 am
I was with my mom buying a new 2018 crv Exl awd two years ago and she was closer to 30k. I’d love to know where these 24k new ones are.
No kidding. The CRV EXL AWD starts at $31K. You may get $3K off MSRP, but nowhere close to $24k.
First off, bungalow10 stated they purchased a "4 year old CR-V EX-L AWD (2wd)".
I have no clue if that means FWD or AWD.

Secondly, I said you could get "close" to $24K on a new CR-V EX.
This statement is true. All you need to do is look at the prices paid forum...
https://www.crvownersclub.com/threads/2 ... 79/page-15
Actually, poster stated an EX-L, which is MSRP $29,850 (FWD, or $31,250 AWD) and is different from an EX -- if you look closely at the thread, lowest price for EX-L was just under $28k for that model and doesn't factor in sales tax.

researcher
Posts: 1132
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:05 pm

Re: New Honda CR-V vs. 2-3 Year Old CR-V?

Post by researcher » Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:45 pm

drg02b wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:55 pm
Actually, poster stated an EX-L, which is MSRP $29,850 (FWD, or $31,250 AWD) and is different from an EX -- if you look closely at the thread, lowest price for EX-L was just under $28k for that model and doesn't factor in sales tax.
Comparing a 2015 CR-V to any trim level of the 2019 CR-V is apples & oranges, as the 2015 model lacks many key features.

The point is, you can buy a used 2015 CR-V EXL with 20K miles and get...
leather seats

Or for about the same amount per mile, you can buy a brand new 2019 CR-V EX with zero miles and get...
new/modern vehicle platform, collision mitigation braking, road departure mitigation, adaptive cruise control, lane keeping assist, forward collision warning, lane departure warning, blind spot monitoring, cross traffic monitor, auto high beams, LED running lights, auto hold feature, Apple Carplay/Android Auto and cloth seats.

User avatar
simplesimon
Posts: 3422
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:53 pm
Location: Boston, MA

Re: New Honda CR-V vs. 2-3 Year Old CR-V?

Post by simplesimon » Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:56 pm

researcher wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:45 pm
drg02b wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:55 pm
Actually, poster stated an EX-L, which is MSRP $29,850 (FWD, or $31,250 AWD) and is different from an EX -- if you look closely at the thread, lowest price for EX-L was just under $28k for that model and doesn't factor in sales tax.
Comparing a 2015 CR-V to any trim level of the 2019 CR-V is apples & oranges, as the 2015 model lacks many key features.

The point is, you can buy a used 2015 CR-V EXL with 20K miles and get...
leather seats

Or for about the same amount per mile, you can buy a brand new 2019 CR-V EX with zero miles and get...
new/modern vehicle platform, collision mitigation braking, road departure mitigation, adaptive cruise control, lane keeping assist, forward collision warning, lane departure warning, blind spot monitoring, cross traffic monitor, auto high beams, LED running lights, auto hold feature, Apple Carplay/Android Auto and cloth seats.
I know you don't recommend the CR-V but you're kind of selling me on it!

researcher
Posts: 1132
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:05 pm

Re: New Honda CR-V vs. 2-3 Year Old CR-V?

Post by researcher » Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:09 pm

simplesimon wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:56 pm
I know you don't recommend the CR-V but you're kind of selling me on it!
If your two options are a 2015 Honda CRV EXL with 20K miles and a brand new 2019 CRV EX with 0K miles, the choice is a no-brainer for me.

However, I'd still prefer the Mazda CX-5 by a wide margin.

drg02b
Posts: 131
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:08 pm

Re: New Honda CR-V vs. 2-3 Year Old CR-V?

Post by drg02b » Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:58 pm

researcher wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:45 pm
drg02b wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:55 pm
Actually, poster stated an EX-L, which is MSRP $29,850 (FWD, or $31,250 AWD) and is different from an EX -- if you look closely at the thread, lowest price for EX-L was just under $28k for that model and doesn't factor in sales tax.
Comparing a 2015 CR-V to any trim level of the 2019 CR-V is apples & oranges, as the 2015 model lacks many key features.

The point is, you can buy a used 2015 CR-V EXL with 20K miles and get...
leather seats

Or for about the same amount per mile, you can buy a brand new 2019 CR-V EX with zero miles and get...
new/modern vehicle platform, collision mitigation braking, road departure mitigation, adaptive cruise control, lane keeping assist, forward collision warning, lane departure warning, blind spot monitoring, cross traffic monitor, auto high beams, LED running lights, auto hold feature, Apple Carplay/Android Auto and cloth seats.

I'm just clarifying that you missed the poster's specific model comparison criteria which made you're point about there being no price difference invalid, because you were comparing apples to oranges.

Post Reply