Taxes - Goodwill donations, older children's clothing

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Post Reply
Topic Author
psteinx
Posts: 3404
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:24 pm

Taxes - Goodwill donations, older children's clothing

Post by psteinx » Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:17 pm

In years past we've claimed modest (<$500 per donation, perhaps $100-400/year) deductions for donations of clothing (and misc. used items) to Goodwill and the like. This stuff has been a mixture of stuff for the parents and stuff for the kids (i.e. kids' clothing books, etc.).

It has occurred to me that our kids are older, and this may present a problem accurately claiming the deduction. Conceivably, it's even wrong when the kids are rather young.

Does anyone know (preferably with a source) whether it's acceptable for parents to claim deductions for donations of their kids' stuff (primarily bought by the parents, but some was presumably gifts from grandparents or bought with the kids' own money [edit - or the like]) if:

Kids < 18
Kids 18+, but still dependents (i.e. in college)

?
Last edited by psteinx on Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Gill
Posts: 5713
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:38 pm
Location: Florida

Re: Taxes - Goodwill donations, older children's clothing

Post by Gill » Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:34 pm

I've never heard of this issue coming up. I would take the position that your children gave you the stuff to donate. Really, you are asking how many angels can dance on the head of a pin. No need to be "Holier than the Pope".
Gill
Cost basis is redundant. One has a basis in an investment | One advises and gives advice | One should follow the principle of investing one's principal

User avatar
RickBoglehead
Posts: 4495
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:10 am
Location: In a house

Re: Taxes - Goodwill donations, older children's clothing

Post by RickBoglehead » Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:45 pm

Yeah, I never heard of this either. We've always donated on our behalf whatever was in our home, regardless of who bought it.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

User avatar
LilyFleur
Posts: 597
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:36 pm

Re: Taxes - Goodwill donations, older children's clothing

Post by LilyFleur » Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:51 pm

RickBoglehead wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:45 pm
Yeah, I never heard of this either. We've always donated on our behalf whatever was in our home, regardless of who bought it.
I think it's OK. I just made a HUGE donation of clothing to Goodwill, from an adult child, but I had actually paid for most of the items over the years. I photographed all of it, and then I counted it and valued it on the very low end (using the Goodwill Fair Market calculator).
https://goodwillnne.org/donate/donation-value-guide/

PVW
Posts: 590
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:01 am

Re: Taxes - Goodwill donations, older children's clothing

Post by PVW » Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:20 pm

If your kids are like most, their stuff can probably be classified as abandoned property. It becomes the property of the finder, and you're free to donate it.

oldfatguy
Posts: 295
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:38 pm

Re: Taxes - Goodwill donations, older children's clothing

Post by oldfatguy » Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:37 pm

If you sold the items at a yard sale, would you give the money to the kids?

User avatar
Stinky
Posts: 2197
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:38 am
Location: Sweet Home Alabama

Re: Taxes - Goodwill donations, older children's clothing

Post by Stinky » Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:47 pm

Document
Donate
Deduct

I’ve done this for a couple of decades with kids and family stuff. Never a tax problem.
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt

123
Posts: 5122
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:55 pm

Re: Taxes - Goodwill donations, older children's clothing

Post by 123 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:05 pm

I doubt that a parent would allow most children to sell their clothing, keep the proceeds, and use it for whatever they want. So that tells me that the child doesn't really own their clothing. Additionally in the standard practice of hand-me-downs it is the parent who passes the clothing, whether to another child in the same household or to a neighbor. So it seems to me that the parent is the default owner of the child's clothing, absent evidence of some other ownership arrangement between the parent and the child.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

c1over8
Posts: 259
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:15 am

Re: Taxes - Goodwill donations, older children's clothing

Post by c1over8 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:02 pm

This wasn't your question, but an interesting case to consider regarding substantiation if you are taking a deduction for donations to Goodwill:
https://www.thetaxadviser.com/issues/20 ... enied.html

User avatar
LilyFleur
Posts: 597
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:36 pm

Re: Taxes - Goodwill donations, older children's clothing

Post by LilyFleur » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:35 pm

c1over8 wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:02 pm
This wasn't your question, but an interesting case to consider regarding substantiation if you are taking a deduction for donations to Goodwill:
https://www.thetaxadviser.com/issues/20 ... enied.html
Wow. My Goodwill hands me a blank receipt that is signed and dated. It's up to me to fill it out. Then again, I am not donating thousands of dollars of clothing.

fru-gal
Posts: 1096
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:48 pm
Location: New England

Re: Taxes - Goodwill donations, older children's clothing

Post by fru-gal » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:42 pm

Stuff that's sold at thrift stores is priced at practically nothing, like $1 or $2 for a shirt. I would use that as a guideline when claiming a deduction.

wolf359
Posts: 1817
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:47 am

Re: Taxes - Goodwill donations, older children's clothing

Post by wolf359 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:48 am

Did you even itemize deductions last year?

In order to claim charitable donations on your taxes, you need to itemize. The standard deduction almost doubled last year. It was the first year I didn't itemize in years, so my normal strategies for tracking and claiming charitable donations went out the window. (I still donated, but it made no difference on my taxes.)

7eight9
Posts: 359
Joined: Fri May 17, 2019 7:11 pm

Re: Taxes - Goodwill donations, older children's clothing

Post by 7eight9 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:23 am

fru-gal wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:42 pm
Stuff that's sold at thrift stores is priced at practically nothing, like $1 or $2 for a shirt. I would use that as a guideline when claiming a deduction.
if you follow Goodwill's valuation guidelines at least you won't be that person whose used skivvies are washed in public (at $2/pair circa 1986 tax return) when you run for higher office. :happy

Valuation Guide for Goodwill Donors --- https://www.goodwill.org/wp-content/upl ... _guide.pdf
I guess it all could be much worse. | They could be warming up my hearse.

Nowizard
Posts: 2296
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:33 pm

Re: Taxes - Goodwill donations, older children's clothing

Post by Nowizard » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:40 am

To claim this deduction, you, of course, will need to itemize. TurboTax has an included program called "It's Deductible" that allows entry of items and assignment of a deductible amount for each item based on the condition of the item. We use it though it does require time to enter each item if there are many. That combined with the receipt you receive when making the donation comprise documentary evidence of the deduction. We have not made a distinction between purchased items and those received as possible gifts. Many people do this a number of years after the item was received and no longer have the actual receipt from the time of purchase since the item may be something like a dining room table purchased twenty or more years ago.

Tim

User avatar
White Coat Investor
Posts: 14213
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:11 pm
Location: Greatest Snow On Earth

Re: Taxes - Goodwill donations, older children's clothing

Post by White Coat Investor » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:43 am

psteinx wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:17 pm
In years past we've claimed modest (<$500 per donation, perhaps $100-400/year) deductions for donations of clothing (and misc. used items) to Goodwill and the like. This stuff has been a mixture of stuff for the parents and stuff for the kids (i.e. kids' clothing books, etc.).

It has occurred to me that our kids are older, and this may present a problem accurately claiming the deduction. Conceivably, it's even wrong when the kids are rather young.

Does anyone know (preferably with a source) whether it's acceptable for parents to claim deductions for donations of their kids' stuff (primarily bought by the parents, but some was presumably gifts from grandparents or bought with the kids' own money [edit - or the like]) if:

Kids < 18
Kids 18+, but still dependents (i.e. in college)

?
It's fine. I keep track on its deductible. I just dropped off $12K worth of clothing and similar stuff in the last couple of months and will be donating thousands more in appliances, windows, fixtures etc.

Neither the charity nor the IRS care where the stuff came from, whose it was, or who it was bought for. they don't even care what you paid for it. You can buy from Goodwill for cheap and then return it to Goodwill for a deduction if you like. Your deduction is supposed to be what they can sell it for, but as you might imagine, there is a great deal of gray area there. I think ItsDeductible estimates a little high most of the time, but also surprisingly low sometimes.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course

Shallowpockets
Posts: 1329
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:26 am

Re: Taxes - Goodwill donations, older children's clothing

Post by Shallowpockets » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:52 am

12k of clothing to Goodwill????
Must be a lot of fudging numbers on that.

MarkNYC
Posts: 1565
Joined: Mon May 05, 2008 7:58 pm

Re: Taxes - Goodwill donations, older children's clothing

Post by MarkNYC » Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:47 am

White Coat Investor wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:43 am
I keep track on its deductible. I just dropped off $12K worth of clothing and similar stuff in the last couple of months and will be donating thousands more in appliances, windows, fixtures etc.
Be careful. When claiming a charitable deduction for any group of similar items, such as clothing, where the deduction value exceeds $5,000, a qualified appraisal of the goods is required for the deduction to be valid.

User avatar
White Coat Investor
Posts: 14213
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:11 pm
Location: Greatest Snow On Earth

Re: Taxes - Goodwill donations, older children's clothing

Post by White Coat Investor » Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:52 pm

MarkNYC wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:47 am
White Coat Investor wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:43 am
I keep track on its deductible. I just dropped off $12K worth of clothing and similar stuff in the last couple of months and will be donating thousands more in appliances, windows, fixtures etc.
Be careful. When claiming a charitable deduction for any group of similar items, such as clothing, where the deduction value exceeds $5,000, a qualified appraisal of the goods is required for the deduction to be valid.
Who's going to appraise a big stack of clothes? Who would you even call?

More importantly, who do I call to appraise all of the cabinets, fixtures, windows, and appliances I'm donating to habitat for humanity this month?
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course

User avatar
White Coat Investor
Posts: 14213
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:11 pm
Location: Greatest Snow On Earth

Re: Taxes - Goodwill donations, older children's clothing

Post by White Coat Investor » Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:53 pm

Shallowpockets wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:52 am
12k of clothing to Goodwill????
Must be a lot of fudging numbers on that.
Pretty amazing right? Would you like to see the itemized list? It's quite long.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course

User avatar
White Coat Investor
Posts: 14213
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:11 pm
Location: Greatest Snow On Earth

Re: Taxes - Goodwill donations, older children's clothing

Post by White Coat Investor » Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:19 pm

So I looked it up in the IRS Publication:
Appraisals
Appraisals are not necessary for items of property for which you claim a deduction of $5,000 or less. There's an exception for clothing over $500....

Generally, if the claimed deduction for an item or group of similar items of donated property is more than $5,000, you must get a qualified appraisal made by a qualified appraiser, and you must attach Section B of Form 8283 to your tax return.
I guess it comes down to how "similar" is defined. If similar is girl's shirts, then I'm fine. If similar is "women's clothing" then I'm fine. If similar is "clothing" then I guess I should have found an appraiser and had them spend a few hours going through the bags before I dropped them off.

I think I'll be okay with the household items because I don't think I'll have more than $5,000 of any one category (i.e. cabinets, fixtures, appliances, windows etc). For example, the deduction for all of my kitchen cabinets is only like $700 according to ItsDeductible.

Clothing is the only place I could get burned. I guess if the IRS demands Form 8283 then I'll just lose that deduction.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course

MarkNYC
Posts: 1565
Joined: Mon May 05, 2008 7:58 pm

Re: Taxes - Goodwill donations, older children's clothing

Post by MarkNYC » Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:53 pm

White Coat Investor wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:19 pm
So I looked it up in the IRS Publication:
Appraisals
Appraisals are not necessary for items of property for which you claim a deduction of $5,000 or less. There's an exception for clothing over $500....

Generally, if the claimed deduction for an item or group of similar items of donated property is more than $5,000, you must get a qualified appraisal made by a qualified appraiser, and you must attach Section B of Form 8283 to your tax return.
I guess it comes down to how "similar" is defined. If similar is girl's shirts, then I'm fine. If similar is "women's clothing" then I'm fine. If similar is "clothing" then I guess I should have found an appraiser and had them spend a few hours going through the bags before I dropped them off.

I think I'll be okay with the household items because I don't think I'll have more than $5,000 of any one category (i.e. cabinets, fixtures, appliances, windows etc). For example, the deduction for all of my kitchen cabinets is only like $700 according to ItsDeductible.

Clothing is the only place I could get burned. I guess if the IRS demands Form 8283 then I'll just lose that deduction.
Jim,

All types of clothing would be a similar category, and the tax court has ruled that the category of "household items" includes furniture, furnishings, electronics, appliances, and linens. (google: non-cash charity similar items) If you haven't yet made the donation of household items, you might want to consider spreading the donations over 2 or more years so that you don't exceed $5K for any one year.

Form 8283 is required to be included with the 1040 for any year that non-cash donations exceed $500. Leaving aside the appraisal requirement issue, claiming a 5 or 6 figure non-cash charitable deduction without filing Form 8283 is needlessly asking for trouble.

User avatar
unclescrooge
Posts: 3877
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:00 pm

Re: Taxes - Goodwill donations, older children's clothing

Post by unclescrooge » Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:04 pm

LilyFleur wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:35 pm
c1over8 wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:02 pm
This wasn't your question, but an interesting case to consider regarding substantiation if you are taking a deduction for donations to Goodwill:
https://www.thetaxadviser.com/issues/20 ... enied.html
Wow. My Goodwill hands me a blank receipt that is signed and dated. It's up to me to fill it out. Then again, I am not donating thousands of dollars of clothing.
I cleaned house last year. Between the clothes/shoes that generated $2-$15 each, baby gear and electronics, we made out with nearly $500 in deductions. If I had claimed the amount I had paid, it would easily have been $10,000.
Did I short change myself, it was the IRS just lenient in this story?

fru-gal
Posts: 1096
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:48 pm
Location: New England

Re: Taxes - Goodwill donations, older children's clothing

Post by fru-gal » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:17 pm

White Coat Investor wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:53 pm
Shallowpockets wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:52 am
12k of clothing to Goodwill????
Must be a lot of fudging numbers on that.
Pretty amazing right? Would you like to see the itemized list? It's quite long.
Yes I would actually :-) just out of curiosity. My first thought was, we certainly live in different economic strata :-)

JBTX
Posts: 5491
Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:46 pm

Re: Taxes - Goodwill donations, older children's clothing

Post by JBTX » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:16 pm

MarkNYC wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:53 pm
White Coat Investor wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:19 pm
So I looked it up in the IRS Publication:
Appraisals
Appraisals are not necessary for items of property for which you claim a deduction of $5,000 or less. There's an exception for clothing over $500....

Generally, if the claimed deduction for an item or group of similar items of donated property is more than $5,000, you must get a qualified appraisal made by a qualified appraiser, and you must attach Section B of Form 8283 to your tax return.
I guess it comes down to how "similar" is defined. If similar is girl's shirts, then I'm fine. If similar is "women's clothing" then I'm fine. If similar is "clothing" then I guess I should have found an appraiser and had them spend a few hours going through the bags before I dropped them off.

I think I'll be okay with the household items because I don't think I'll have more than $5,000 of any one category (i.e. cabinets, fixtures, appliances, windows etc). For example, the deduction for all of my kitchen cabinets is only like $700 according to ItsDeductible.

Clothing is the only place I could get burned. I guess if the IRS demands Form 8283 then I'll just lose that deduction.
Jim,

All types of clothing would be a similar category, and the tax court has ruled that the category of "household items" includes furniture, furnishings, electronics, appliances, and linens. (google: non-cash charity similar items) If you haven't yet made the donation of household items, you might want to consider spreading the donations over 2 or more years so that you don't exceed $5K for any one year.

Form 8283 is required to be included with the 1040 for any year that non-cash donations exceed $500. Leaving aside the appraisal requirement issue, claiming a 5 or 6 figure non-cash charitable deduction without filing Form 8283 is needlessly asking for trouble.
I've never had 5 figures of donations but have had low 4 figures, much of it clothing. I also use its deductible. I also use turbo tax. I've never had an appraisal, nor would I. I've got the it's deductible itemization, goodwill receipts, and I may take photos of the bags full of clothes. I've never had any trouble. I'll take my chances on the low probability of an audit.

My take is I will usually take a legit deduction regardless of circumstances and will take my chances with the documentation given the low probability of audit.

User avatar
Artsdoctor
Posts: 4097
Joined: Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:09 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Taxes - Goodwill donations, older children's clothing

Post by Artsdoctor » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:25 pm

To the OP, you can definitely donate your kids' clothing (or anyone else's). Just document what you're doing. I use "Its Deductible."

Regarding tens of thousands of dollars of used clothing and other various household items, I'd document the heck out of what you're doing as if you're going to be audited. If you don't wind up being audited, then you'll be grateful. In addition to your paper documentation, you might want to take pictures and/or video what you're donating if you're in the 5-digit non-cash camp. Above all, you don't want to wind up in some news story:

https://www.cpapracticeadvisor.com/tax- ... o-goodwill

MarkNYC
Posts: 1565
Joined: Mon May 05, 2008 7:58 pm

Re: Taxes - Goodwill donations, older children's clothing

Post by MarkNYC » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:45 pm

Artsdoctor wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:25 pm
Regarding tens of thousands of dollars of used clothing and other various household items, I'd document the heck out of what you're doing as if you're going to be audited. If you don't wind up being audited, then you'll be grateful. In addition to your paper documentation, you might want to take pictures and/or video what you're donating if you're in the 5-digit non-cash camp. Above all, you don't want to wind up in some news story:

https://www.cpapracticeadvisor.com/tax- ... o-goodwill
For anyone claiming a deduction in excess of $5K for used clothing or any other group of similar items, the only documentation for valuation that matters is a qualified appraisal of the goods donated. Without that appraisal, the deduction is illegitimate, as explained in the case in the article you linked and the one linked above by clover8.

User avatar
White Coat Investor
Posts: 14213
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:11 pm
Location: Greatest Snow On Earth

Re: Taxes - Goodwill donations, older children's clothing

Post by White Coat Investor » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:39 pm

fru-gal wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:17 pm
White Coat Investor wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:53 pm
Shallowpockets wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:52 am
12k of clothing to Goodwill????
Must be a lot of fudging numbers on that.
Pretty amazing right? Would you like to see the itemized list? It's quite long.
Yes I would actually :-) just out of curiosity. My first thought was, we certainly live in different economic strata :-)
Imagine 4 kids and you haven't ever thrown any of their clothes away. The oldest is now 15....

Plus two adults who haven't thrown out any clothing in a decade since their last move.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course

User avatar
White Coat Investor
Posts: 14213
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:11 pm
Location: Greatest Snow On Earth

Re: Taxes - Goodwill donations, older children's clothing

Post by White Coat Investor » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:44 pm

MarkNYC wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:53 pm
White Coat Investor wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:19 pm
So I looked it up in the IRS Publication:
Appraisals
Appraisals are not necessary for items of property for which you claim a deduction of $5,000 or less. There's an exception for clothing over $500....

Generally, if the claimed deduction for an item or group of similar items of donated property is more than $5,000, you must get a qualified appraisal made by a qualified appraiser, and you must attach Section B of Form 8283 to your tax return.
I guess it comes down to how "similar" is defined. If similar is girl's shirts, then I'm fine. If similar is "women's clothing" then I'm fine. If similar is "clothing" then I guess I should have found an appraiser and had them spend a few hours going through the bags before I dropped them off.

I think I'll be okay with the household items because I don't think I'll have more than $5,000 of any one category (i.e. cabinets, fixtures, appliances, windows etc). For example, the deduction for all of my kitchen cabinets is only like $700 according to ItsDeductible.

Clothing is the only place I could get burned. I guess if the IRS demands Form 8283 then I'll just lose that deduction.
Jim,

All types of clothing would be a similar category, and the tax court has ruled that the category of "household items" includes furniture, furnishings, electronics, appliances, and linens. (google: non-cash charity similar items) If you haven't yet made the donation of household items, you might want to consider spreading the donations over 2 or more years so that you don't exceed $5K for any one year.

Form 8283 is required to be included with the 1040 for any year that non-cash donations exceed $500. Leaving aside the appraisal requirement issue, claiming a 5 or 6 figure non-cash charitable deduction without filing Form 8283 is needlessly asking for trouble.
Oooh...that's problematic. Maybe I'll just claim $4999 then. Seriously though, if they wanted to audit a charitable donation I would hope they'd go for the 6 figure stock donations rather than the five figure clothes and stuff donations. That stuff is much easier to keep documentation for.

I guess I could try to store stuff for a couple of months until 2020, but seems a big hassle. You'd think they didn't want us to donate stuff to charity or something.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course

User avatar
Artsdoctor
Posts: 4097
Joined: Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:09 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Taxes - Goodwill donations, older children's clothing

Post by Artsdoctor » Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:09 pm

^ I don't think there's a concerted effort to prohibit you from donating anything. But putting the value on what one donates is open to abuse, or at least ignorance. If someone pays $250 for an item of clothing, they might find it difficult to believe that the fair market value is only $5. We all know someone who has an unrealistic idea of what something is worth that they treasure. In fact, it is well-known that most people have a very inaccurate estimate of what non-cash contributions are worth so this is one area that the IRS is justified in asking for some type of reasonable estimates of "things" donated.

An audit can be generated by many things, and perhaps the accountants (and IRS agents) on the forum can comment in more detail. But if there's an item on anyone's return which is very, very far away from the bell-shaped curve, you're going to have a flag. I don't think there are going to be very many returns which have tens of thousands of dollars in clothing; there's nothing wrong with doing it, of course, but you'd just want to make sure that you document the heck out of the transactions.

Contributing appreciated stocks or mutual funds is such a common practice that it's not going to be the same red flag. You have to document the date of purchase and the amount of purchase, which is easily documented. Clothing, TVs, appliances, are all far more difficult to value. Even cars and art require a lot of paperwork if you want to survive an audit.

Post Reply