Pest Exterminator DIY

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
BradJ

Pest Exterminator DIY

Post by BradJ » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:43 am

Anyone here "cut the cord" on their monthly pest control provider? If so, what products do you use to maintain a bug-free home?

oldfatguy

Re: Pest Exterminator DIY

Post by oldfatguy » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:53 am

I'm guessing this is a regional thing? I've never known anyone in my entire life that had a monthly pest control provider.

HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch » Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:02 am

We have had issues with termites, carpenter ants and mice.

We have used exterminators in the past for active termite infestations to treat the nests and drill barrier foam into the ground with some success. Another method, bait stations, was expensive and unsuccessful.

We cleaned up the property (pushed back wooded tree line) and now treat ourselves. For termites/ants, we regularly spray Ortho Home Defense around perimeter of house and shed. For mice, we sealed our house up during a reno which took care of the house issue and use Victor snap traps baited with peanut butter with great success.

Flyer24

Post by Flyer24 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:14 am

Thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues section.

Smoke

Post by Smoke » Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:48 am

http://doityourselfpestcontrol.com/

I prefer to use bifen IT for perimeter spray, also safe for indoor use as well.
I have been using it for years now since I gave up the pest control monthly ripoff costs from my Termite company.
I still have the Termite contract though.
Arguing for the sake of arguing is something I am not going to engage in.

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:22 am

We did so about 5 years ago after prices kept going up for the pest control guy. In Arizona, everyone towards the fringes of the cities sprays to take care of crickets to try and keep scorpions away.

After trying a few different chemicals, this is where we have landed:

-CY Kick CS (Every month from May through November - then every other month in the winter)
-Dominion 2L - Dig a trench around the house every two years and flood it with this for termite killing/protection - just did it last weekend.

The Dominion is about $20 per coverage, the CY-KICK CS is about $40 per year.

For just the equivalent of the CY Kick, we were paying $35 per month. Termite protection, who knows how much that would cost.

We previously used Tengard which didn't seem to work as well as CY-KICK - but worked somewhat. Also used Ortho Home defense, which did nothing in AZ, but worked wonders for spiders in the pacific northwest.

forgeblast

Post by forgeblast » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:39 am

Smoke wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:48 am
http://doityourselfpestcontrol.com/

I prefer to use bifen IT for perimeter spray, also safe for indoor use as well.
I have been using it for years now since I gave up the pest control monthly ripoff costs from my Termite company.
I still have the Termite contract though.
I use them and use biffen IT. I use it for ant and tick control. I like the granular you just need to water it in (spray with a hose and your good). The first time i used it a line of ants left the area walking on our fence!
I also use milky spore for controlling Japanese beetles and lawn grubs and mole away for voles and moles.
For garden pests I use garden alive (.com) products.

Reamus294

Post by Reamus294 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:42 am

We live in an 80's house (lots of small openings that I've been attempting to close up) that is next to a wooded area, so bug-free is a goal, but not expected. If we find them inside, I do expect them to be dead or moving slow.

We use Ortho Home Defense inside and outside about 3 times a year. It has bifenthrin which is pretty safe, but effective. Haven't read much about the cypermethrin though. I used to buy Bifen IT, mix with water, and pump spray it, but it expires and I was never using more than a quarter of the bottle. I'll also use diatomaceous earth outside during dry spells. I place sticky traps inside of the garage door and then use some general bait traps.

I've had an issue with carpenter ants before and will call an exterminator for a specialized treatment then. The exterminator I use stated most places only need to be treated once a year if they are thorough. Monthly seems a bit much, and quarterly treatments are more common in my neck of the woods.

Don't go overboard with spraying. Most insecticides are highly toxic to bees, they spread it to the hive very easily, and runoff into streams should be considered.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:48 am

A little Terro and DE normally handles things. I have a couple of small areas that I sometimes hit with chemical treatment if I start noticing a lot of ticks riding in on my pants. Otherwise, I let the birds and spiders take most of the prisoners while they are outside.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

GMCZ71

Post by GMCZ71 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:16 am

We use:
Taurus SC . edit-this works for termite, ants and the sugar ants!
Terro
Snap traps
Last edited by GMCZ71 on Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John

Sconie

Post by Sconie » Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:38 am

Down here in AZ I've had success using:
-Tempo Ultra WP insecticide
-Taurus SC temiticide
I've found that both are effective and MUCH more cost effective than using a service.
I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. - Alan Greenspan

bob60014

Post by bob60014 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:40 am

+1 for Taurus SC. We used to have a carpenter ant issue that we could never get a handle on, tried everything. Then I found the Taurus SC recommendation here on BH. Since then, I spray around the perimeter of the house in early spring and again in mid August, not a pest to be found. Very effective.

likegarden

Post by likegarden » Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:53 am

We have a bug-free home by having a bug-free outside and by that also protect our plantings.
We live in the Northeast. I usually take care of mice and insects myself. For mice, I put Tomcat pieces into any mouse hole I can see outside, and have Z shaped PVC pipes outside under plants containing same. For insects (like White Pine Weevil and hornets) I use Bayer Complete Insect Killer. Around the house perimeter I spread a granular lawn insecticide twice a year, which limits insects entering the house. Since I got bit by a tick and worry about contracting Lyme disease I have a contract with a pest control company which treats our whole .45 acre property with a fog of natural oils every 2 months except winter which will creep even under low lying plants.

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:14 am

I buy an insecticide concentrate from my local Tractor Supply, Home Depot doesn't carry it.
Something like this:
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/produ ... -zone-plus

Spray on exterior walls, about 2-3 feet from the ground and also on the surrounding dirt 2-3 feet from the wall. Critters die before the reach the house. During the summer months I repeat the treatment about every 6 weeks but it doesn't take more than 5min, I use a 2gal sprayer from HD.

I also bought several "mouse house" type boxes that contain peanut butter flavored rodent poison. Haven't seen any mice since I installed them. I expect I'll need to replenish the peanut butter chunks annually, I bought a 5lb bucket (also from Tractor Supply.)

For wasps I used a spray from Home Depot, it can reach about 20ft away. Spray the nest and come back the next day to knock it down.

For fire ants I use the granules from HD, it's a big 20lb bag. I pour a generous helping when a mound appears and a couple weeks later the colony seems to be dead. (New mounds appear weekly so I need to stay on top of it.)

Here in TX we have a ton of bugs. The worst are scorpions and the best way to control them is to cut off their food supply.

Snapper

Post by Snapper » Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:26 pm

We use an exterminator every two months. Very little price increase over the years. We live in an area surrounded by woodland, so many crawling creatures. In addition to cleaning off all spiderwebs under the eaves, they spray. If we have a problem, they come same day for no additional charge. We have recently had both ant invasions and carpenter bee invasions. Well worth it to us. We have tried both large nationals and local companies. Local is best for continuity of employees and picking people you don’t mind in and around your house.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:57 pm

never ever paid for pest control since DIY is so effective and easy.

I've trained the ants to just come in at night while we are sleeping and clean up all the crumbs left by everyone and leave before we wake up.

I've trained the spiders to take care of stragglers and the hapless roach.

Silverfish are tougher, but I put boric acid powder along the edges of the carpets and such unseen areas of the bathrooms.

Ever since roach sex hormones were figured out and put as an attractant in roach baits, no one should ever have any roaches. A 6-month supply of roach baits/insecticide costs about $6 or less at any big box home store. I don't know why folks sometimes think these chemical don't degrade. They need replacing every 6 months or so.

I won't tell you what I do for small mammals, but will only insinuate that they are a short-lived problem.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

azanon

Post by azanon » Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:12 pm

BradJ wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:43 am
Anyone here "cut the cord" on their monthly pest control provider? If so, what products do you use to maintain a bug-free home?
Brad I haven't had a pest control provider since I bought my house in 2003 (you've been there as you recall). I've tried different sprays I use around the perimeter, but the one that works best for me is Bayer Advanced Home Pest control indoor and outdoor (I got at home depot).

Other things I do is 1. Keep debris such as leaves away from the perimeter of the house. 2. Look for termite mud tunnels 3. Use Bengal Roach spray anytime I suspect a possible infestation of roaches (with nylar) - this stuff is amazing btw. 4. walk around knocking on the walls listening for a hollow sound, annually.

"#1" works much better every since I started paying for yard service. Apparently i didn't do such a good job at that and occasionally would get ants, but I haven't had ants since hiring them.

I basically believe in self-insuring except for very major items (e.g. health, auto, disability, don't insure life anymore).

Iorek

Post by Iorek » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:11 pm

My impression was always that it was illegal to use the serious pesticides/termiticides, like Bifen IT, Taurus SC and Dominion 2L unless you are actually licensed by the state.

Is that not the case?

galving

Post by galving » Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:31 am

oldfatguy wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:53 am
I'm guessing this is a regional thing? I've never known anyone in my entire life that had a monthly pest control provider.
Yes.
I would've written a similar comment after the 1st half of my life in the North. . .
In the South I've since learned that pest control is just another 'utility' bill.

Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples » Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:46 am

So far, in this house, my only bill for insect control is the yearly termite inspection. That might seem surprising since I live in the south. I did have a yellow-jacket nest by the front door, but when I called the exterminator to come out, he got rid of them without charging since they come out yearly. For the occasional ants, I use Terro. So far this year only one roach which the vacuum got; I don't generally kill spiders, I figure they are eating something. There was a small wasp nest by the front door which the vacuum cleaner got.

I did have a wasp nest in the shed. On impulse, I simply got a can, put it over it, slid a piece of paper between it and the wall and left it in the back field in the sun for a week with bricks on top so a curious animal wouldn't get into it. Turns out when I took the can off, some were still alive, sluggish and they flew away, and they had eaten the entire nest.

I pull back all of the mulch from the house.

The real problem are the chipmunks, but it is illegal here to kill or even move them. There was a rat nest in the compost bin. I decided the chore of making compost was not worth it when I can buy it pretty cheap.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:57 am

Iorek wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:11 pm
My impression was always that it was illegal to use the serious pesticides/termiticides, like Bifen IT, Taurus SC and Dominion 2L unless you are actually licensed by the state.

Is that not the case?
I don't think that is the case. Your idea of "serious" is just that these things are sold in higher concentrations to licensees who are supposed to dilute them, but that lower concentrations are for sale in retail stores to everyone.

My opinion is that one should not buy in bulk and should only buy what they can use in one month. One does not want to turn their house nor garage into a hazardous waste site.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

renue74

Post by renue74 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:18 am

We've used the DIY pest website before to purchase.

https://store.doyourownpestcontrol.com

In the past, I've paid pest companies about $140 per treatment for regular control...on a quarterly basis. But, the pest guy does his business practice wrong. He actually calls you and tries to set up an appointment to come out for each treatment. That's like a huge "reminder," of hey...I pay this guy $140 for 5 minutes of spraying. We also have a full time airbnb house...so the guy was charging us $280 every quarter. It got to be too much.

And I'm notorious for not returning phone calls and putting off appointments.....so I started doing it myself.

Bifen IT
Wisdom

These two are my go to products. They come in small bottles concentrated and I typically use a bottle per year...maybe. So...maybe $30 or $40 per year. I also have a dedicated sprayer just for pesticides so I'm not using it for herbicides, etc.

forgeblast

Post by forgeblast » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:13 am

Iorek wrote:

Is that not the case?
Different states different rules. On the site it has where the products are legal and where they can ship to. For example In PA as part of our CREP (conservation reserve enhancement program) I am required by the state to control invasive species. That includes spraying roundup etc.

Iorek

Post by Iorek » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:19 am

forgeblast wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:13 am
Iorek wrote:

Is that not the case?
Different states different rules. On the site it has where the products are legal and where they can ship to. For example In PA as part of our CREP (conservation reserve enhancement program) I am required by the state to control invasive species. That includes spraying roundup etc.
Can you link to that? I poked around and found a page called "Can I do my own termite treatment" but it only talked about when you might want to call in a professional, not when state law might require it.

Of course roundup is widely sold/used by individual homeowners.

Ged

Post by Ged » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:28 am

I used to do DIY but outsourcing has led to something priceless to me - improved domestic tranquility.

Fertilizer and herbicides like RoundUp I still DIY. Not as much a domestic issue as weeds don't walk into the house.

forgeblast

Post by forgeblast » Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:53 pm

Iorek wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:19 am
forgeblast wrote:
Iorek wrote:

Is that not the case?
Can you link to that? I poked around and found a page called "Can I do my own termite treatment" but it only talked about when you might want to call in a professional, not when state law might require it.

sure if you go to https://store.doyourownpestcontrol.com/fuse-foam under the name it will have things like Product not available to: CA, CT, NY that lets you know if that state allows it. or go to additional information and on the bottom it will say where it has Shipping Restrictions CA, CT, NY

if you use the site https://www.domyown.com/termidor-sc-p-184.html (domyown.com its who i use for my supplies), it will say Not for Sale to: CT, IN, SC, MN, NY I like this site a bit better because all the information is right there for you.

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:47 pm

galving wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:31 am
oldfatguy wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:53 am
Yes.
I would've written a similar comment after the 1st half of my life in the North. . .
In the South I've since learned that pest control is just another 'utility' bill.
Pretty much so. Had the same company since 1980.

The only pests we see are the ones dying.

We enjoy our lush landscaping. Ideal home for lots of creepy-crawlies you don't want to come in your home, but still come in, uninvited.

Ants had been pretty successful invaders, but after a few false starts the bug man has finally got them well under control.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

Iorek

Post by Iorek » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:57 am

forgeblast wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:53 pm
Iorek wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:19 am
forgeblast wrote:
Iorek wrote:

Is that not the case?

sure if you go to https://store.doyourownpestcontrol.com/fuse-foam under the name it will have things like Product not available to: CA, CT, NY that lets you know if that state allows it. or go to additional information and on the bottom it will say where it has Shipping Restrictions CA, CT, NY

if you use the site https://www.domyown.com/termidor-sc-p-184.html (domyown.com its who i use for my supplies), it will say Not for Sale to: CT, IN, SC, MN, NY I like this site a bit better because all the information is right there for you.

There may be states where that pesticide cannot be shipped--because no one is authorized to use that pesticide in the state-- but that is in addition to the label requirements, not instead of the label requirements. I think every state has some licensing requirements, so the fact that they ship it to you doesn't make it legal for a non-licensee to use.

livesoft wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:57 am
Iorek wrote:

Is that not the case?
I don't think that is the case. Your idea of "serious" is just that these things are sold in higher concentrations to licensees who are supposed to dilute them, but that lower concentrations are for sale in retail stores to everyone.
I think for some of these pesticides higher concentrations are sold to licensees and lower concentrations are sold to the general public but the point is still that it's illegal for the general public to buy and use the higher concentrations (and for good reason-- in extreme examples people have been killed by misuse of pesticides).