POST YOUR QUESTIONS FOR THE EXPERTS PANEL Q&A HERE

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Wind_Reaver

Re: POST YOUR QUESTIONS FOR THE EXPERTS PANEL Q&A HERE

Post by Wind_Reaver » Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:51 am

Open for the panel:
  • Are negative-yield securities an investment?
  • Should individual investors consider negative-yield fixed-income securities an investable asset?

tomwood

Post by tomwood » Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:02 pm

Mel Lindauer wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:19 am
Hello Everyone:

Whether you'll be attending the upcoming Bogleheads Conference in October or not, you still have an opportunity to have your questions answered at the Conference by the Experts Panel.
Are people, not attending in person, able to stream this Conference or watch a recorded version online at a later date?

kupuna

Post by kupuna » Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:22 pm

tomwood,
[*]The Q&A session with the Panel of Experts is usually videotaped and after some processing is posted on the WIKI.

[*]For all those who have posted questions we want to thank you for your input. We are consolidating every question and will organize them for the conference.

For those lucky enough to be attending the 2019 Bogleheads Conference, you will soon be receiving a personal email asking for your questions.

TOM
"I can calculate the motions of the heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people." Sir Isaac Newton

kupuna

Post by kupuna » Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:11 pm

We still have room for more questions at the conference.

If you are attending please respond to the BogleCenter email that you received.

Thanks.

TOM
"I can calculate the motions of the heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people." Sir Isaac Newton

fanofjack

Post by fanofjack » Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:56 pm

Are interest rates “normalized” yet. If not, how much more do they have to rise above the current 2.25% to 2.50%?

I have been avoiding the Vanguard Total Bond Market Fund in favor of a shorter duration fund. Now, it is beginning to appear I have been missing out on much better yields.

fanofjack

CoastalWinds

Post by CoastalWinds » Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:11 pm

1. In this new normal low-interest environment, how should we view value vs growth investing, PE ratios, and the like?

2. Does VG “want”people to migrate from mutual funds to their ETF counterparts?
Last edited by CoastalWinds on Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

epd3

Post by epd3 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:39 pm

I would like to hear from each panelist, regarding creative suggestions on where to place their Emergency Fund monies.

Eagle33

Post by Eagle33 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:41 am

What one investment in your current portfolio is the most UN-Boglehead like and why do you own it?
Rocket science is not “rocket science” to a rocket scientist, just as personal finance is not “rocket science” to a Boglehead.

esteen

Post by esteen » Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:19 pm

Open for the panel:

In the near future, are there any modification practices/techniques you see as being very important for advisory firms to utilize to help individual investors establish good saving and investing habits in the face of the modern consumer world?

I'm always interested in how industry ideas can positively influence the average investor, such as with 401(k) auto-enrollment and step-up contributions. :sharebeer

Paisley

Post by Paisley » Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:10 pm

If you could change one investment decision you made, what would it be and why?

wreckinpa

Post by wreckinpa » Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:45 pm

Since more and more Baby Boomers are at retirement age and growing ... could withdrawing money from their retirement accounts result in a drop in stock market prices caused by this collective selling of fund shares??

Thanks.

bobcat2

Post by bobcat2 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:44 pm

It appears to me that the most popular threads at Bogleheads this year have been about leveraging your portfolio 140% or more equities by using options, margin, S&P 500 mini futures, and leveraged ETFs. Would each of the panelists comment on when such leverage is justified, as well as when it is not recommended?

BobK
In finance risk is defined as uncertainty that is consequential (nontrivial). | The two main methods of dealing with financial risk are the matching of assets to goals & diversifying.

fujiters

Post by fujiters » Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:47 am

What is the makeup of your personal portfolio?
“The purpose of the margin of safety is to render the forecast unnecessary.” -Benjamin Graham

tj88

Post by tj88 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:41 pm

I have a question about investment strategies.
I know almost every single sound investor recommends avoiding stock picking and rather going with low cost ETF or mutual funds.
My concern is these funds are cap weighted and contain overpriced stocks. For example you can find Amazon stock in almost every single fund, and its P/E ratio is 75.
Anyone can explain to me if I am missing something?

sleepdoctor

Post by sleepdoctor » Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:05 pm

1. Following 2008, there was a general worry that financial institutions who had issued annuities could default due to a liquidity crisis which subsequently did not occur. However, in an environment of low interest rates and the possibility for near zero or even negative interest rates, could these institutions who were underwriting many fixed annuity contracts fail to be able to meet their obligations?

2. Some panelists have actually written that annuities combined with social security could help decrease the risk from sequence of returns in retirement. Given the low interest rate environment, do you fear that the companies issuing annuities contracts could default on these obligations due to an extended low or even negative interest rate environment in light of increasing life expectancy? Would you still recommend an annuity for a portion of your portfolio for someone entering retirement in the next 5 years?

Thank you Experts!

David Althaus

Post by David Althaus » Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:03 pm

Inflation can come back and likely will at some point. Unless it reaches Latin American proportions is it something retirees with free and clear houses can safely ignore or at least lower a lot on the worries list?

Thanks. All the best

CoastalWinds

Post by CoastalWinds » Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:54 pm

What changes, if any, would you recommend to investing strategy if bond yields go negative in the US? What would each of you do, personally, if that scenario occurs?

Socal77

Post by Socal77 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:09 pm

Is a three fund portfolio still viable if domestic interest rates go negative?

investmanC

Post by investmanC » Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:39 pm

Expert Panel,

I'm a Boglehead after reading several of Mr. Bogle's books however, have looked into a few Private Equity firms. One that deals largely in Commercial Real Estate and Opportunity Fund investing. Fees? Capital Gains tax advantages over 5 and 7 year periods. Additional diversification? Tax-deductible investment? Tax-deferred? Overall real gains in general?

Basically, go or don't consider? Risks excessive?
I am considered an Accredited Investor but should I jump in?

Thanks,
investmanC

3blindmice

Index Fund Bubble?

Post by 3blindmice » Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:16 am

Hi Expert Panel:
I tried to search for this answer, but I could not find it... so if it has already been addressed, could you link me to the discussion?
What are your thoughts on this "index fund bubble" referenced in the article linked below? I know the central tenet of the Boglehead philosophy is passive index fund investing, buy and hold strategy. Do you believe the popularity and growth of the Boglehead wave has helped create a "bubble"? I am not savvy enough in economic theory to understand if Michael Burry's theory has merit and would love your insight. Thanks for your time.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... ket-newtab

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:39 pm

Should investors own a Tesla or a Toyota?

Housedoc

Post by Housedoc » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:52 pm

Is it OK for a retired person whose 100pct funded pension covers living expenses to be 85 pct in equities and 15pct in CDs?

TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:19 pm

Should one's SWR be tied to his /her AA for a 30-year or longer retirement?

TravelforFun

Piplup1996

Post by Piplup1996 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:56 pm

I've read William Bernstein's Rational Expections and I don't understand much of it. I have also read Boglehead's guide to Three Fund Portfolio. What other books should I read?

Lap

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:28 pm

Current thoughts of the panel related to international bonds and international REITs.
John C. Bogle: "Simplicity is the master key to financial success."

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:29 pm

Also current thoughts on the asset allocation between domestic and international for both stocks and bonds.
John C. Bogle: "Simplicity is the master key to financial success."

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:01 pm

I've always invested in mutual funds with Vanguard and have so far successfully resisted moving to their brokerage platform. The couple of times I've been forced to use ETFs in outside HSA accounts I've found the experience to be a hassle (I now have a Fidelity HSA with mutual funds). ETFs seem to be all the rage these days. Is there something I'm missing by staying with mutual funds and a non-trading platform for the lion's share of my investments? I'm strictly and long-term investor who loves simplicity and is now in the decumulation phase.
IGNORE the noise! | Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify. - Henry David Thoreau

Victory1982

Post by Victory1982 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:49 pm

Hello. What advice can you offer for a 55 year old woman who wants to invest $50,000 for retirement. I also have a traditional IRA with about $20,000 with Franklin Templeton. I have not debt and an emergency fund of $10,000.

fanofjack

Post by fanofjack » Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:30 am

Piplup1996 wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:56 pm
I've read William Bernstein's Rational Expections and I don't understand much of it. I have also read Boglehead's guide to Three Fund Portfolio. What other books should I read?

Lap
I would recommend ENOUGH by John Bogle.

Maid of the Mist

Post by Maid of the Mist » Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:47 am

This question is broad but I am hoping for specific answers. It relates to spending retirement savings after retirement. What are the specific issues one should consider in the “retirement spend down” planning and how have each of you looked at these issues? For example, tax issues, Medicare premium issues, type of savings (ira, after tax, 401k), inheritance issues, charitable giving, etc.

Eagles

Post by Eagles » Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:27 pm

What is something that you have learned only by personal investing instead of learning from a textbook or other professionals?

mk7alemu

Post by mk7alemu » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:36 pm

With predatory college loan corporations like Navient i.e., would it be smart to consolidate student loans to a different fixed rate loan to avoid the horrible stories from the corporations that run student loans that are picked by the department of education?

blizzars

Post by blizzars » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:16 pm

In The Bogleheads' Guide to investing, it talks a lot about the sooner you invest the more you will have sooner in life. What is the most important advice you could give to a college student (who has not started investing) about investing after college? What would be the smartest choice for starting out?

Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer » Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:17 pm

blizzars wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:16 pm
In The Bogleheads' Guide to investing, it talks a lot about the sooner you invest the more you will have sooner in life. What is the most important advice you could give to a college student (who has not started investing) about investing after college? What would be the smartest choice for starting out?
1. Participate in your company 401k plan at least as much as it takes to get the full company match; more if you can.

2. Since you'll likely be in a lower tax bracket when you first start out, you probably want to consider putting your contributions into a Roth account, since all the gains over your long investing lifetime will be tax-free.

3. Own the market via low-cost index funds. Don't try picking individual stocks which can go zero.

4. Stay the Course. No market timing.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi

Kitty Telltales

Post by Kitty Telltales » Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:59 am

stan1 wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:35 pm
How should a healthy, hopefully long-lived 60 year old couple with a $1M portfolio evaluate risk? What techniques should they employ in portfolio construction to manage risk during draw down? Let's assume SS and Medicare are unchanged and this couple does not have employer pensions.
Also same question here!