Anyone want to share their monthly budget? Here's ours

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
quantAndHold
Posts: 3438
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:39 pm

Re: Anyone want to share their monthly budget? Here's ours

Post by quantAndHold » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:50 am

Our financial plan allows $85k in spending per year. In the past year, we spent about $40k. Since we’re so far below budget, I don’t track line items. House and vehicles are paid off, not supporting any kids. Largest expenses are healthcare (combined insurance premiums and copays) and travel.

runner3081
Posts: 2508
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:22 pm

Re: Anyone want to share their monthly budget? Here's ours

Post by runner3081 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:09 am

Regattamom wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:30 pm
runner3081 wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:38 pm
Family of 3:

HOUSING/UTILITIES
Natural Gas - $37.00
Water/Sewer/Garbage - $57.00
Internet - $42.99
Cell Phones - $0 (FreedomPop)
Electric - $175.00
Mortgage+Prop Tax+Homeowners Insurance - $1,119.50
HOA Dues - $67
Housing/Utilities - Total - $1,498.49

Insurance (Non-Auto)
Me Life Insurance - $36.25
Spouse Life Insurance - $17.92
Umbrella Insurance - $13.33
Insurance Total $67.50

Services/Memberships
Professional Cert $4.17
Web Hosting - $0.50
AAA - $12.33
Amazon Prime - $8.91
Services/Memberships Total - $25.90

Automotive
Gasoline - $175.00
Auto Insurance - $61.67
Vehicle Licensing/Emissions - $10.70
Auto Maintenance - $100
Automotive Total - $347.37

Miscellaneous
Gifts - $60.00
Clothes - $35.00
*All Other - $592.00
Food - $270.00
Miscellaneous Total - $957.00

*All other includes travel, medical expenses and everything else

GRAND TOTAL: $2,896.27

We save right around 48% of our income, max out HSA, ROTHx2, 403B

Also make Post-Tax Contributions and 529 Contributions.

We usually under spend on the MISC and FOOD categories each month. Usually at $250 food, but provide a buffer keeping at $270.

I am really interested in how a family of three spends only $250 per month on food. That averages out to about $8.50 per day for three meals and snacks for three people. There is no way I could possibly get my grocery bill down that low. Where do you shop? What do you eat? Does that include eating out and/or school lunches? My family of three (one is a teenage boy who eats a lot) spends on average $850 per month just on groceries and I cook almost all of our food. I will say, I like good food and try to buy organic when I can.
Very simple for us, we are going on over 4 years at that monthly rate for food.

1) We do not eat out more than 3-4 times per year.
2) Our daughter can buy one school lunch per month.
3) We do not buy organic
4) We have 3-major grocery chains within 2 miles. Grocery lists are created based on the items on sale.
5) A good amount of fruits and veggies - those are cheap if you shop in season at Sprouts. It is amazing, often offer 3 pounds of oranges, etc for $1.
6) We like rice and it is a part of every dinner
7) We also mix in a bit of Smart and Final and Winco type of stores
8) eCoupons are used every shopping trip

Annual Food Spending the last 4-years:
2014 - $2,870.50
2015 - $2,830.09
2016 - $2,734.11
2017 - $2,635.64

iamblessed
Posts: 262
Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:52 am

Re: Anyone want to share their monthly budget? Here's ours

Post by iamblessed » Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:39 pm

Momus wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:11 pm
Mint sim $15/mo cell phone
Water 0/mo included in rent, laundry once/mo, shower like 2 times/week - dry my skin badly
Garbage 0/mo
Car insurance $45/mo liability only
Car registration $11.25/mo
Food $150/mo - Potato/rice, chicken on sale <$1/lb (dark meat) or $1.70/lb (white meat), a bunch of frozen vegetables
Car Gas $125/mo
TV Cable $0, who the hell watch TV anymore...
Netflix $0, friend account

Income = 150k base, OT can push it to 175-200k

Bring my total to ~$346.25/mo as my total fixed expenses, not including housing... I call myself the cheapest person in the building at work :-D

Rent pays gas, electric, water, internet and all for $750.
I am guessing you have a goal to retire early.

bo105954027
Posts: 69
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:00 pm

Re: Anyone want to share their monthly budget? Here's ours

Post by bo105954027 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:46 pm

Momus wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:11 pm
Mint sim $15/mo cell phone
Water 0/mo included in rent, laundry once/mo, shower like 2 times/week - dry my skin badly
Garbage 0/mo
Car insurance $45/mo liability only
Car registration $11.25/mo
Food $150/mo - Potato/rice, chicken on sale <$1/lb (dark meat) or $1.70/lb (white meat), a bunch of frozen vegetables
Car Gas $125/mo
TV Cable $0, who the hell watch TV anymore...
Netflix $0, friend account

Income = 150k base, OT can push it to 175-200k

Bring my total to ~$346.25/mo as my total fixed expenses, not including housing... I call myself the cheapest person in the building at work :-D

Rent pays gas, electric, water, internet and all for $750.
How? Why?
Time in market beats timing the market.

bgf
Posts: 1075
Joined: Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:35 am

Re: Anyone want to share their monthly budget? Here's ours

Post by bgf » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:09 pm

Momus wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:11 pm
Mint sim $15/mo cell phone
Water 0/mo included in rent, laundry once/mo, shower like 2 times/week - dry my skin badly
Garbage 0/mo
Car insurance $45/mo liability only
Car registration $11.25/mo
Food $150/mo - Potato/rice, chicken on sale <$1/lb (dark meat) or $1.70/lb (white meat), a bunch of frozen vegetables
Car Gas $125/mo
TV Cable $0, who the hell watch TV anymore...
Netflix $0, friend account

Income = 150k base, OT can push it to 175-200k

Bring my total to ~$346.25/mo as my total fixed expenses, not including housing... I call myself the cheapest person in the building at work :-D

Rent pays gas, electric, water, internet and all for $750.
$150k-200k and you use a friend's Netflix account?

you need an intervention.
“TE OCCIDERE POSSUNT SED TE EDERE NON POSSUNT NEFAS EST"

StoopieHippo
Posts: 51
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:42 am
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Anyone want to share their monthly budget? Here's ours

Post by StoopieHippo » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:54 pm

I'm in Seattle, WA, 32YO, married without kids and separate finances from the husband. Currently, we're focusing on his student loans and when his are done (Dec 2018), we'll transition back to mine. If all stays well, we'll both be done by end of September 2019 (we graduated with $330k combined, seriously started paying it off a few years ago with a condo purchased somewhere in there). My income: $120.5k/yr (previously $150k/yr, both pretax, but reduced as I changed jobs to decrease stress)

Loans: $4300-5800 (depending on my take-home pay since it's semimonthly. $1.3k/mo minimum payment to my loans)
HOA: $477
Gifts: $50
Car: $30 (car paid off, insurance paid by husband ~$40/mo because it's mileage based. This is savings for oil changes and services)
Holiday spending: $50 (Jan-Oct each year)
Hulu: $8.78 (no cable, internet paid by husband ~$72/mo)
Gym: $74.87 (climbing gym)
Utilities: $15-80, depending on season...higher in winter.
Books/Entertainment: $10
Pet: $100-135, depending on how much raw cat food I need to buy ($250/mo when she has to go to the vet, 1 visit yearly...this total cost includes monthly pet insurance)
Personal Care: $50 usually (makeup, dry cleaning, etc)
Slush: $50
House Stuff: $40 (laundry detergent, dish soap, etc)
Gas: $45
Food/Restaurants: $400
------------------------------------------
= $5700-7200/mo

Husband pays for: mortgage ($2286) while I focus on loans, cell phone bill ($175/mo), car insurance (~$40/mo), internet (~$72/mo), Netflix ($9/mo), and most of his own food. We have completely separate finances. His minimum payment to his student loans: $1000/mo. His income: $120k/yr.

We will both be maxing out retirement contributions once the loans are done (2020, after we pay off some more mortgage) - 403b (I have a pension), his 401a, my 457b (governmental), two Roth IRAs, and hoping for another $2.5k into taxable account each month.

LovingLife
Posts: 36
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:31 pm

Re: Anyone want to share their monthly budget? Here's ours

Post by LovingLife » Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:00 am

Family of 4. Numbers rounded.

MONTHLY EXPENSES:

FIXED: $10k
Mortgage/property taxes/insurance: $8-9k
Utilities: $1k
Autos (both purchased with cash) - insurance, gas, maintenance: $500

SEMI FIXED: $8k
Charitable giving: $5k
Groceries: $1k
Other food: $500
Cell phones / internet / technology: $350
Babysitting: $350
Gym: $250
House cleaning: $250
Holiday gifts to family and tips to staff: $150 (gift much of that $1,800 around the holidays)

DISCRETIONARY: $3k
Travel: $1,000
Activities for kids: $500
Clothes/personal items: $400
Dining out / ordering in: $500
Misc: $500
Books: $100

Total: $21k. There’s significant waste in our monthly spending that could easily be cut if need be, but we’re still saving a lot, so instead we let it be.

lomarica01
Posts: 140
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:57 am

Re: Anyone want to share their monthly budget? Here's ours

Post by lomarica01 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:07 pm

as one other post stated working on your future retirement budget might be a real eye opener, especially if you need/want to increase your spending as you start making withdraws from 401k etc... also working in percents also makes an impression, in order of expenses by percents mine are taxes, medical and hobbies/travel so I guess I can buy whatever i want at the grocery store since the percent for food is so low

randomguy
Posts: 8297
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:00 am

Re: Anyone want to share their monthly budget? Here's ours

Post by randomguy » Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:48 pm

runner3081 wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:09 am



I am really interested in how a family of three spends only $250 per month on food. That averages out to about $8.50 per day for three meals and snacks for three people. There is no way I could possibly get my grocery bill down that low. Where do you shop? What do you eat? Does that include eating out and/or school lunches? My family of three (one is a teenage boy who eats a lot) spends on average $850 per month just on groceries and I cook almost all of our food. I will say, I like good food and try to buy organic when I can.
Very simple for us, we are going on over 4 years at that monthly rate for food.

1) We do not eat out more than 3-4 times per year.
2) Our daughter can buy one school lunch per month.
3) We do not buy organic
4) We have 3-major grocery chains within 2 miles. Grocery lists are created based on the items on sale.
5) A good amount of fruits and veggies - those are cheap if you shop in season at Sprouts. It is amazing, often offer 3 pounds of oranges, etc for $1.
6) We like rice and it is a part of every dinner
7) We also mix in a bit of Smart and Final and Winco type of stores
8) eCoupons are used every shopping trip

Annual Food Spending the last 4-years:
2014 - $2,870.50
2015 - $2,830.09
2016 - $2,734.11
2017 - $2,635.64
[/quote]

It helps a lot to not buy TP, detergerent and so on at the grocery store. Some weeks those are a surprisingly high amount of the bill.

Low grocery bills are a combo of
a) Cheap meals. A 1lb of chicken and all you can eat rice and beans feeds a family of 3 for about 3 bucks. Same thing with pasta, baked potatoes and any of a slew of other products. Cereal and oatmeal can give you breakfast for under .25/meal. A couple of 5 dollar days gives you room to splurge and have some 10 dollar ones. And minimizing things like alcohol, soda, juices and the like tends to reduce the cost of the meal.

B) Smart shopping. Chicken breasts go from 1.99 to 3.99/lb in my grocery store. Pasta goes from 1.19/lb to 3 for .99. And then their is substitution. Some weeks thighs are much cheaper than breasts. This really kicks in with things like fruit and veggies.

There are also some regional differences. They aren't huge but when you start getting down towards the bottom they make a difference.

runner3081
Posts: 2508
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:22 pm

Re: Anyone want to share their monthly budget? Here's ours

Post by runner3081 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:06 pm

randomguy wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:48 pm
runner3081 wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:09 am



I am really interested in how a family of three spends only $250 per month on food. That averages out to about $8.50 per day for three meals and snacks for three people. There is no way I could possibly get my grocery bill down that low. Where do you shop? What do you eat? Does that include eating out and/or school lunches? My family of three (one is a teenage boy who eats a lot) spends on average $850 per month just on groceries and I cook almost all of our food. I will say, I like good food and try to buy organic when I can.
Very simple for us, we are going on over 4 years at that monthly rate for food.

1) We do not eat out more than 3-4 times per year.
2) Our daughter can buy one school lunch per month.
3) We do not buy organic
4) We have 3-major grocery chains within 2 miles. Grocery lists are created based on the items on sale.
5) A good amount of fruits and veggies - those are cheap if you shop in season at Sprouts. It is amazing, often offer 3 pounds of oranges, etc for $1.
6) We like rice and it is a part of every dinner
7) We also mix in a bit of Smart and Final and Winco type of stores
8) eCoupons are used every shopping trip

Annual Food Spending the last 4-years:
2014 - $2,870.50
2015 - $2,830.09
2016 - $2,734.11
2017 - $2,635.64
It helps a lot to not buy TP, detergerent and so on at the grocery store. Some weeks those are a surprisingly high amount of the bill.

Low grocery bills are a combo of
a) Cheap meals. A 1lb of chicken and all you can eat rice and beans feeds a family of 3 for about 3 bucks. Same thing with pasta, baked potatoes and any of a slew of other products. Cereal and oatmeal can give you breakfast for under .25/meal. A couple of 5 dollar days gives you room to splurge and have some 10 dollar ones. And minimizing things like alcohol, soda, juices and the like tends to reduce the cost of the meal.

B) Smart shopping. Chicken breasts go from 1.99 to 3.99/lb in my grocery store. Pasta goes from 1.19/lb to 3 for .99. And then their is substitution. Some weeks thighs are much cheaper than breasts. This really kicks in with things like fruit and veggies.

There are also some regional differences. They aren't huge but when you start getting down towards the bottom they make a difference.
[/quote]
__________________________________________
Actually, I log all purchases. I don't group based on the store. If I go to Walmart and buy cleaning supplies and food, they are accounted for individually, not together.

Same thing with grocery... though, buying TP at the grocery store is hardly ever a good deal!

User avatar
Meg77
Posts: 2566
Joined: Fri May 22, 2009 1:09 pm
Location: Dallas, TX
Contact:

Re: Anyone want to share their monthly budget? Here's ours

Post by Meg77 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:39 am

smitcat wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:11 am
Meg77 wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:31 pm
Just because I'm killing time, here's our 2017 actual figures:

Mortgage - $2,436 (15 yr fixed)
Property tax - $1,000
Home insurance - $133
HOA - $100
House cleaner - $175
Utilities - $578 (includes cable/internet, cells)
Car payment - $585 (at 1% so DH won't pay it off)
Auto/umbrella insurance - $166
Auto maintenance/gas - $300
Health/dental/vision insurance - $100 (through employer - heavily subsidized)
Home improvement - $1,850 (needed new HVAC to the tune of $14k last year)
Pets - $320 (dog tore his ACL this year - ugh)
Groceries - $745 (includes stuff for a couple of parties, 3 wine clubs)
Relatively Fixed Costs - $8,488

Dining/Bars - $1221
Personal Care - $889 (gyms, spa, golf, salon, copays, etc)
Shopping - $1940 (more than double our usual - DH got a new entertainment system for his bday/Christmas)
Giving - $500 (way too low for the year, goal to increase big in 2018)
Travel - $657 (used points for several trips in addition)
Entertainment - $402
Other - $300
Discretionary Spending - $5909

401ks - $3000
Roth IRAs - $916
HSA - $562
Brokerage - $10,083
Savings/Investments - $14,561

Federal income taxes/FICA - $8750

Total - $37,708
"Federal income taxes/FICA - $8750"
If that is the pryroll taxes plus federal taxes the % does not look correct.
Yes, it's right. About 23% of gross. Our projected federal effective income tax rate is about 21.5% under the new tax law (down from 24.8% in 2017). Part of the reason it's lower than you might expect is that in addition to maxing out 401ks and HSAs, my husband puts about $28k a year into his deferred comp plan which is also a tax deductible contribution. So while our gross income is $453K(ish), our AGI is around $393K (minus $72K in retirement contributions plus about $17k in rental/dividend income). And after the standard deduction, that's a taxable income of $369k. Total projected federal tax owed is $85K ($7100 a month) plus about $1750 a month for FICA. I could be off slightly, but that's my estimate anyway.
"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest." - Benjamin Franklin

smitcat
Posts: 4174
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:51 am

Re: Anyone want to share their monthly budget? Here's ours

Post by smitcat » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:42 am

Meg77 wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:39 am
smitcat wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:11 am
Meg77 wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:31 pm
Just because I'm killing time, here's our 2017 actual figures:

Mortgage - $2,436 (15 yr fixed)
Property tax - $1,000
Home insurance - $133
HOA - $100
House cleaner - $175
Utilities - $578 (includes cable/internet, cells)
Car payment - $585 (at 1% so DH won't pay it off)
Auto/umbrella insurance - $166
Auto maintenance/gas - $300
Health/dental/vision insurance - $100 (through employer - heavily subsidized)
Home improvement - $1,850 (needed new HVAC to the tune of $14k last year)
Pets - $320 (dog tore his ACL this year - ugh)
Groceries - $745 (includes stuff for a couple of parties, 3 wine clubs)
Relatively Fixed Costs - $8,488

Dining/Bars - $1221
Personal Care - $889 (gyms, spa, golf, salon, copays, etc)
Shopping - $1940 (more than double our usual - DH got a new entertainment system for his bday/Christmas)
Giving - $500 (way too low for the year, goal to increase big in 2018)
Travel - $657 (used points for several trips in addition)
Entertainment - $402
Other - $300
Discretionary Spending - $5909

401ks - $3000
Roth IRAs - $916
HSA - $562
Brokerage - $10,083
Savings/Investments - $14,561

Federal income taxes/FICA - $8750

Total - $37,708
"Federal income taxes/FICA - $8750"
If that is the pryroll taxes plus federal taxes the % does not look correct.
Yes, it's right. About 23% of gross. Our projected federal effective income tax rate is about 21.5% under the new tax law (down from 24.8% in 2017). Part of the reason it's lower than you might expect is that in addition to maxing out 401ks and HSAs, my husband puts about $28k a year into his deferred comp plan which is also a tax deductible contribution. So while our gross income is $453K(ish), our AGI is around $393K (minus $72K in retirement contributions plus about $17k in rental/dividend income). And after the standard deduction, that's a taxable income of $369k. Total projected federal tax owed is $85K ($7100 a month) plus about $1750 a month for FICA. I could be off slightly, but that's my estimate anyway.
No problem - I was confused by the FICA as our employee portion is about $1640/mo.

gusan
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:23 am

Re: Anyone want to share their monthly budget? Here's ours

Post by gusan » Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:10 pm

Primary Mortgage $2,752
Primary Property Tax $640
Primary Hazard Insurance $115
Primary Electricity and Gas $151
Primary Water, Sewage and Trash $157
Primary HOA $22
Car Payment $1,140
Auto Insurance $111
Auto Registration $34
Auto Repair $149
Auto Gas $272
Grocery $759
Eating Out - Restaurants and Fast Food $587
Clothes $284
Fitness $249
Tennis Classes - Kids $240
Dance Classes - Kids $195
Study Classes - Kids $199
After School Activities - Coding, Chess $134
School Activities $34
Summer Camps $502
Kids College Funds $600
Kids Clothes $186
Home Supplies $202
Home Repair/Improvement $2,042
Home Cleaning $85
Grooming $127
Yard Maintenance/Plants / Fertilizers $298
Cable and Internet $85
Cell Phone $153
Grooming - Pet $37
Pet Medicine and Insurance $83
Pet Day Camps & Overnight Stays $87
Pet Food $16
Air Tickets $74
Hotels $45
Rental Cars $33
Traveling (Tickets etc.) $336
Doctor Visits $157
Medicines $23
Dental $70
Entertainment / Movies / Museums $96
Life Insurance $39
Misc $3,549
Gifts $120

Saving Rate 28%

User avatar
pondering
Posts: 1044
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:04 pm
Location: 412-977-3526, originally 718-273-2422

Re: Anyone want to share their monthly budget? Here's ours

Post by pondering » Wed May 22, 2019 1:53 pm

Has anyone ever entered all this data from the group into a model or spreadsheet?
--Robert Sterbal | 412-977-3526 call/text, I find speech easier than writing

JuliusFlies666
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed May 22, 2019 2:01 pm

Re: Anyone want to share their monthly budget? Here's ours

Post by JuliusFlies666 » Wed May 22, 2019 2:17 pm

43 year old single male, residing in MCOL college town in midwestern USA


Monthly Budget


Home (owned, no mortgage)
Property tax $200
Home insurance $300
Home repairs $250
Garden/yard/landscape supplies $200

Utilities
Electric $60
Propane $40
Garbage $20
Cell phone $30
(well water, septic, no internet)

Health care
Medical $100
Dental $10
Gym $25

Food
Grocery/household products $250
Restaurant $125

Transportation
Car insurance $60
Car registration $20
Car repairs $80
Gasoline $100
Bicycle maintenance $10

Misc.
Clothing $80
Travel $300

Total: $2,260

MrBobcat
Posts: 263
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:19 pm

Re: Anyone want to share their monthly budget? Here's ours

Post by MrBobcat » Wed May 22, 2019 3:39 pm

I've never kept a detailed budget, more of an informal spending habit.

1. What is my take home pay?
2. Subtract out fixed/inescapable monthly expenses (mortgage/rent, util, insurance, etc) while trying to minimize these as much as possible.
3. Subtract out fixed savings goals/automatic transfers.
4. = don't spend more than this on stuff (including groceries).

I literally subtracted out of my check register 2&3 whenever my monthly paycheck was deposited.
Last edited by MrBobcat on Wed May 22, 2019 3:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

flyingaway
Posts: 2485
Joined: Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:19 am

Re: Anyone want to share their monthly budget? Here's ours

Post by flyingaway » Wed May 22, 2019 3:47 pm

jehovasfitness wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:33 pm
Hi,
New to the forums, been lurking a few weeks. Did a quick search on this topic and didn't see anything like it, at least within past 6 months.

I'm curious what your monthly budget is, and how ours compares. Pretty sure we've cut things down but I'm sure there's ways to improve without going crazy. We tend to be frugal at times, then splurge way over the top like we're dieters around chocolate cake. This month/year we've gotten serious after buying a new house (likely forever home).

Stats: 2 adults, 0 kids, 2 large dogs
Gross Income 160k
Live in DC metro area, so HCOL

Total Mortgage: $2,200
Student loan: $320
Groceries + personal items/cleaning supplies: $600
Car loan: $730 (will be paid off this April) before anyone asks it's high b/c it was a 3 yr loan not b/c it was a $50k car.
Car insurance: $250 (4 cars, I like my cars)
Gas: $250
Cellphones: $90
TV/internet/netflix: $160
Utilities: $150-$250 (time of year dependent)
Dog food/vet bills: $150
Water delivery: $20 (we are on a well, when moved in there was bacteria, after treatment, sticking with water delivery for drinking)
Charity: $30 (for 2018 this was drastically cut due to tackling our money problems) previous years was $150
Restaurants/alcohol: $100
Clothes: $50
Wife flex spending: $100
My flex: $50
Car repair/maintenance: $100

Total: $5400 though for this month and going forward I'm adding $300 due to random things that pop up, whether it's a higher car repair bill, or extra cost at the vet, or whatever life throws at us

I realize the car payment is super high so once that's paid off in a few months that will be a huge reduction.

After I looked at cutting cable for just internet + another streaming service other than netflix, not really much savings there.
Our utilities are generally quite low but with a heat pump in this frigid weather past month it's shot up to the upper range.
I lived in DC area for 3.5 years, I rarely drove to DC. Subways are much faster.
If you want 4 cars, why bother thinking about cutting costs in other areas.

smitcat
Posts: 4174
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:51 am

Re: Anyone want to share their monthly budget? Here's ours

Post by smitcat » Wed May 22, 2019 3:59 pm

JuliusFlies666 wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 2:17 pm
43 year old single male, residing in MCOL college town in midwestern USA


Monthly Budget


Home (owned, no mortgage)
Property tax $200
Home insurance $300
Home repairs $250
Garden/yard/landscape supplies $200

Utilities
Electric $60
Propane $40
Garbage $20
Cell phone $30
(well water, septic, no internet)

Health care
Medical $100
Dental $10
Gym $25

Food
Grocery/household products $250
Restaurant $125

Transportation
Car insurance $60
Car registration $20
Car repairs $80
Gasoline $100
Bicycle maintenance $10

Misc.
Clothing $80
Travel $300

Total: $2,260
FWIW -Home insurance looks high.

User avatar
XtremeSki2001
Posts: 1635
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:28 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA

Re: Anyone want to share their monthly budget? Here's ours

Post by XtremeSki2001 » Wed May 22, 2019 4:05 pm

Love this thread ... would love to see OP (or someone else) standardize a method to submit a budget so it's easier to review / compare. I enjoy seeing these numbers to see if I'm nuts or not ....
A box of rain will ease the pain and love will see you through

Socal77
Posts: 168
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:14 pm

Re: Anyone want to share their monthly budget? Here's ours

Post by Socal77 » Wed May 22, 2019 4:12 pm

Rent $800
Car Insurance $55
Gas $40
Utilities $75
Target $80
Food $500
Internet/Cable $52
Cell Phone $89
Tidal,Netflix,Gym. $39
HDHP/Dental $104
Total: $1,842

Gross Income: ~92K

hoffse
Posts: 32
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:47 am

Re: Anyone want to share their monthly budget? Here's ours

Post by hoffse » Wed May 22, 2019 5:56 pm

Take home after taxes, benefits, and retirement contributions: $13,550

Mortgage PITI: $4305
Student loans: $2375 (we pay extra)
Daycare: $932
House cleaning: $380
Yard guy: $225
Utilities: budget $500, usually more like $300 for all
Cell phones: $90
Internet: $40
Streaming: $58
529: $350
Spending on stuff that varies each week: $1600-$2000 ($400/week)
Clothing & gifts sinking fund: $600
Annual dues and charitable sinking fund: $900

Everything left we split 50-50 between student loans and taxable.

The variable spending includes groceries, eating out, copays, gas, haircuts, dry cleaning, random stuff for daycare, etc. I found it easier to budget when I just lumped it all together and tracked weekly.

We also see around $20-$30k/year in one-off windfalls. We use this for our Roths, vacation, etc.

iamblessed
Posts: 262
Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:52 am

Re: Anyone want to share their monthly budget? Here's ours

Post by iamblessed » Thu May 23, 2019 6:36 am

dorothyday wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:14 pm
Social Security net of Medicare is 963.

100 on first of month donation to a progressive non profit, ACLU, Planned Parenthood, etc. Secular tithing.
300 monthly housing, small condo, includes mortgage, HOA fee, all utilities. Split everything 50.50 with my wife
200 month food, veganish, mostly organic
50 supplies
50 medical, have Medicare Advantage
150 car, 1993 Honda Accord, 280k miles
100 fun, but use library for books, DVD's, tickets to plays, music, etc
100 travel, try to take at least four trips per year

So, spend about 1000 per month, live a very nice rich life. Going on 68, no medicines yet, lots of exercise through local YMCA, hiking, etc.
So for the both of you close to 2k a month?

McDougal
Posts: 114
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:42 pm

Re: Anyone want to share their monthly budget? Here's ours

Post by McDougal » Thu May 23, 2019 7:02 am

MrBobcat wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 3:39 pm
I've never kept a detailed budget, more of an informal spending habit.

1. What is my take home pay?
2. Subtract out fixed/inescapable monthly expenses (mortgage/rent, util, insurance, etc) while trying to minimize these as much as possible.
3. Subtract out fixed savings goals/automatic transfers.
4. = don't spend more than this on stuff (including groceries).

I literally subtracted out of my check register 2&3 whenever my monthly paycheck was deposited.
Many times this
I used to track dozens of line items regarding my expenses, but what I really needed to know was basically, how much am I spending in total. I will say, looking at the line items did identify some things that were actionable to me, things I could lower or eliminate, which I did, so it was not a waste of time. But I don't do that anymore, I think I am as frugal as my wife will let me be. :P
Bottom line for me is MrBobcat's item #4 above is literally the golden rule.

ER2023
Posts: 97
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:14 am

Re: Anyone want to share their monthly budget? Here's ours

Post by ER2023 » Thu May 23, 2019 8:18 am

I thought I kept really good track of our expenses, but this was a good exercise and I see opportunities for improvement! We are 56 and 50 and our current jobs pay for the following expenses, with the exception of vacations. When I left mega-corp and downsized my job, I paid off all debt and saved enough for $10k vacations for about 15 years - so that comes out of our savings.

Expense / Monthly

Vacations: 850
Restaurants: 700
Real Estate Taxes: 544
Health Ins: 535
Groceries/House Items: 500
Electricity: 350
Gas: 300
Massages: 240
Internet/Land Line/Cable: 203
TIAA: 200 plus match
Car Regis/Inspect/Oil: 185
Pet Care: 168
Cell: 130
Car Ins: 118
Charity: 100+
Pool: 100
Haircuts: 100
Wildlife Food: 100
Home Ins: 94
Fall Leaf Cleanup: 500/yr
Christmas: 500
Dental Ins: 35
Umbrella Ins: 31
Propane: 27
Trash: 24
EZ Pass: 17
Clothes: 20
AAA: 80/yr
Vision Ins: 5

shell921
Posts: 340
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:13 pm

Re: Anyone want to share their monthly budget? Here's ours

Post by shell921 » Thu May 23, 2019 9:20 am

I am single/retired
Monthly Expenses

Property taxes Taxes: 467
Health Ins: 22
Groceries/House Items: 460
Electricity: 50
Gas: 17
Vacations: 250
Restaurants: 250
Massages: 120
Manicures : 50
Internet/Land Line/Cable: 213
Water 200
Car Regis: 215
Medical co-pays : 12
Misc 300
Gasoline : 100
Vitamins/supplements : 75
Rx co-pays : 30
Pet Care: 150
Cell: 35
Car Ins: 100
Charity: 65+
Swim Spa: 100
Haircuts: 17
Skincare : 100
Gardener 200
House Cleaner 200
Home Ins: 200
Brush clearing: 166
Christmas: 50
Clothes: 40
AAA: 12
Gifts : 35
Dental : 60
Gym membership : 42
Car wash/maintenance : 100

iamblessed
Posts: 262
Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:52 am

Re: Anyone want to share their monthly budget? Here's ours

Post by iamblessed » Thu May 23, 2019 9:41 am

Some of you guys are listing each item but no total. Are you taking me back to math class? LOL

Regattamom
Posts: 210
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:40 pm

Re: Anyone want to share their monthly budget? Here's ours

Post by Regattamom » Thu May 23, 2019 11:56 am

gusan wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:10 pm
Primary Mortgage $2,752
Primary Property Tax $640
Primary Hazard Insurance $115
Primary Electricity and Gas $151
Primary Water, Sewage and Trash $157
Primary HOA $22
Car Payment $1,140
Auto Insurance $111
Auto Registration $34
Auto Repair $149
Auto Gas $272
Grocery $759
Eating Out - Restaurants and Fast Food $587
Clothes $284
Fitness $249
Tennis Classes - Kids $240
Dance Classes - Kids $195
Study Classes - Kids $199
After School Activities - Coding, Chess $134
School Activities $34
Summer Camps $502
Kids College Funds $600
Kids Clothes $186
Home Supplies $202
Home Repair/Improvement $2,042
Home Cleaning $85
Grooming $127
Yard Maintenance/Plants / Fertilizers $298
Cable and Internet $85
Cell Phone $153
Grooming - Pet $37
Pet Medicine and Insurance $83
Pet Day Camps & Overnight Stays $87
Pet Food $16
Air Tickets $74
Hotels $45
Rental Cars $33
Traveling (Tickets etc.) $336
Doctor Visits $157
Medicines $23
Dental $70
Entertainment / Movies / Museums $96
Life Insurance $39
Misc $3,549
Gifts $120

Saving Rate 28%
Curious how you have a misc monthly budget expense of $3,549 that doesn't fit into any of the other categories listed? You've itemized in great detail, yet the largest expense in "miscellaneous". Where does it go?

shell921
Posts: 340
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:13 pm

Re: Anyone want to share their monthly budget? Here's ours

Post by shell921 » Thu May 23, 2019 12:06 pm

iamblessed wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 9:41 am
Some of you guys are listing each item but no total. Are you taking me back to math class? LOL
I think my total is $4,503

User avatar
whodidntante
Posts: 6526
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:11 pm
Location: outside the echo chamber

Re: Anyone want to share their monthly budget? Here's ours

Post by whodidntante » Thu May 23, 2019 12:29 pm

pondering wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 1:53 pm
Has anyone ever entered all this data from the group into a model or spreadsheet?
I think pondering is working on that. :D

HawkeyePierce
Posts: 703
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:29 pm
Location: Colorado

Re: Anyone want to share their monthly budget? Here's ours

Post by HawkeyePierce » Thu May 23, 2019 12:31 pm

(Single, 28, no kids)

Monthly gross: $11,500
Taxes: $2380
HSA: $236
401k: $3460
ESPP: $1152

Take home: $4300

Immediate Obligations
Rent: $1835
Utilities: $27
Internet: $72
Groceries: $400
Transportation: $40

True Expenses
Haircut: $42
Mobile phone: $108 (company reimburses $90)
Mental therapy: $170
Physical therapy: $230
TMJ Treatment: $125
Medical: $100 (I add $100 to this budget every month and draw from it as-needed)
Auto maintenance: I keep this at $500 and replenish when needed
Tire storage: $20
Car insurance: $24
Vehicle registration: $12
Software subscriptions: $25

Quality of Life
Newspapers/Magazines: $37
Gym: $72 (reimbursed by my employer)

Just for Fun
Coffee: $22
Dining Out: $150
Fun money: $100

Total Spending: ~$3300

Leaves about $1000 left over which I put into a total stock market fund in my taxable account. My long-term savings and vacation budgets come out of my RSUs, ESPP and bonus payments which are about equal to my gross salary.
Last edited by HawkeyePierce on Thu May 23, 2019 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
ChowYunPhat
Posts: 208
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:49 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Anyone want to share their monthly budget? Here's ours

Post by ChowYunPhat » Thu May 23, 2019 1:21 pm

What a fun topic.

2 adults, 40s and no children in a HCOL area.

Monthly expenses are relatively close to the following. We live well, but significantly below means too.
2 auto loans - $838 (both 60 month purchase)
Auto Insurance - $120
Cell / Internet - $143
Auto Gas - $80
Auto Other - $100
Utilities - $250 (gas, electric, water)
Dining, entertainment & alcohol - $750
Clothing, gifts, household repairs & maintenance - $1550
Mortgage - $3650 (15 year)
Charitable - $3000
Personal care - $200
Medical - $450
Vacation - $300 (taken in large chunks)
Pets - $100

Savings rate is probably between 40-45% of pretax depending on year.
A wise man and his money are friends forever...

Eastwest
Posts: 31
Joined: Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:17 pm

Re: Anyone want to share their monthly budget? Here's ours

Post by Eastwest » Thu May 23, 2019 6:01 pm

DINKs in San Diego. As long as we're saving 30% of gross, I don't stress about keeping a strict budget.

Gross Income: $15,694

Taxes: $4,237 (27%)

Savings: $4,631 (30%)

Rent: $2,200 (14%)

Life: $3,600 (23%)

Auto (all): $515 (3%)

Slush: $511 (3%)

Sum: $15,694 (100%)

Traveler
Posts: 806
Joined: Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:07 pm

Re: Anyone want to share their monthly budget? Here's ours

Post by Traveler » Thu May 23, 2019 10:32 pm

Based on 2018 full year. I had a high year for medical/dental with a knee surgery and other expenses related to that.

Travel 912
Charity 515
Food 389
Medical/dental 378
Gifts 270
HOA 231
Cell/internet/TV 141
Clothes 115
Car insurance 113
Property tax 112
Entertainment 103
Hair color/cut 100
Utilities 87
Household 86
Miscellaneous 68
Gas 54
Toiletries 51
Fitness 48
Home insurance 39
Car expenses 16
Total 3828

5280Tim
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:33 pm

Re: Anyone want to share their monthly budget? Here's ours

Post by 5280Tim » Fri May 24, 2019 7:03 am

Gross $12,000
Taxes $2,200
Medical/FSA $650
Giving $1,500
Saving (401ks, IRAs, taxable) $2500
Groceries/dining out $900
Misc Auto 3 cars (gas, registration, oil changes, insurance, etc) $510
Life, critical illness, umbrella insurance $125
Gym, Netflix, house cleaning, personal spend $490
Housing PITI+HOA $2,900
Utilities $225
Debt $0
Total $11,800

DINKs, fully funded emergency fund, medical is high due to increased FSA contribution this year to finish my cancer treatment, third car is my grandpa’s ‘75 Bronco. We do track our spending in a spreadsheet every month.

SQRT
Posts: 1187
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:44 am

Re: Anyone want to share their monthly budget? Here's ours

Post by SQRT » Fri May 24, 2019 7:44 am

Perhaps a separate thread for retirees? I would post mine to start one but too far out of normal range to be of much use.

Caduceus
Posts: 2017
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:47 am

Re: Anyone want to share their monthly budget? Here's ours

Post by Caduceus » Fri May 24, 2019 3:12 pm

It is a little hard to figure it out because of big one time expenses.

I spend about $300 a month on food, $50 a month on insurance, $5 a month on my cell phone plan and about $100 a month on completely non-essential items. I am currently living with my partner and he refuses to let me pay any rent or utilities (I do most of the housework and grocery shopping in return). I spend about $350 a year health expenses like dental and blood tests or the occasional medicine, so that's about $30 a month.

That sounds about right as I definitely spend less than $500 in total a month. Everything else goes to savings. It's easy if you don't own a house, don't own a car, don't own a TV, and don't have any regular subscriptions (I don't have Netflix or Prime, or anything like that).

Before when I was renting, I spent $750 a month, utilities and internet included. It's usually the big items, like for my hobbies or projects that throw the figures off. One year I spent $500 on equipment for a personal project.

Traveler
Posts: 806
Joined: Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:07 pm

Re: Anyone want to share their monthly budget? Here's ours

Post by Traveler » Fri May 24, 2019 6:47 pm

Caduceus wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 3:12 pm
It is a little hard to figure it out because of big one time expenses.

I spend about $300 a month on food, $50 a month on insurance, $5 a month on my cell phone plan and about $100 a month on completely non-essential items. I am currently living with my partner and he refuses to let me pay any rent or utilities (I do most of the housework and grocery shopping in return). I spend about $350 a year health expenses like dental and blood tests or the occasional medicine, so that's about $30 a month.

That sounds about right as I definitely spend less than $500 in total a month. Everything else goes to savings. It's easy if you don't own a house, don't own a car, don't own a TV, and don't have any regular subscriptions (I don't have Netflix or Prime, or anything like that).

Before when I was renting, I spent $750 a month, utilities and internet included. It's usually the big items, like for my hobbies or projects that throw the figures off. One year I spent $500 on equipment for a personal project.
You never buy any clothes or household item such as toilet paper or cleaning supplies? What about a haircut?

Caduceus
Posts: 2017
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:47 am

Re: Anyone want to share their monthly budget? Here's ours

Post by Caduceus » Sat May 25, 2019 1:57 am

Traveler wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 6:47 pm
Caduceus wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 3:12 pm
It is a little hard to figure it out because of big one time expenses.

I spend about $300 a month on food, $50 a month on insurance, $5 a month on my cell phone plan and about $100 a month on completely non-essential items. I am currently living with my partner and he refuses to let me pay any rent or utilities (I do most of the housework and grocery shopping in return). I spend about $350 a year health expenses like dental and blood tests or the occasional medicine, so that's about $30 a month.

That sounds about right as I definitely spend less than $500 in total a month. Everything else goes to savings. It's easy if you don't own a house, don't own a car, don't own a TV, and don't have any regular subscriptions (I don't have Netflix or Prime, or anything like that).

Before when I was renting, I spent $750 a month, utilities and internet included. It's usually the big items, like for my hobbies or projects that throw the figures off. One year I spent $500 on equipment for a personal project.
You never buy any clothes or household item such as toilet paper or cleaning supplies? What about a haircut?
I haven't bought any new clothes in about 5 years. Not a single new shirt. I was going to get new underwear, but I got those as gifts. I think that will change soon though as one of my favorite stores is closing down and I will buy lots of clothes at a steep discount. Why do you need to buy new clothes every year? This idea that people have to buy clothes every year seems a little silly. Clothes can last a long time if you follow good laundry practices. What I do is when I find something nice at a good price, I buy many copies of them and I just keep wearing the same thing every day over the years. I haven't bought any shoes in an even longer time, maybe 7 years.

I get a $5 haircut once every three months, so yes, you can add $1.70 to my monthly budget if you wish.

My old laptop lasted 7.5 years, and my current one is 4 years old. Apart from the occasional re-boot error, it is going strong. I would love a better laptop for gaming purposes, but I'm not buying one until it is at least 6 years old as I paid $350 for it. I am currently using an Iphone 5 that my best friend gave me many years back and I wouldn't have upgraded from my Iphone 4 except the older phone wouldn't allow me to download any apps any more.

My partner pays for all the household supplies as I do all the cleaning, but even when I had my own place that didn't amount to much, maybe $10 a month at most, if at all.

The trick to reducing spending isn't to worry about a haircut here or haircut there. It's much simpler if you live in a place where you don't have to own a car (e.g. you walk/bike everywhere or take public transportation), you keep housing expenses really low, and you eliminate as many recurring expenses as you can. I walk to any place that is within a 30 minute walk because I love walking and it becomes part of my exercise as I don't really do any gym or stuff like that.

What I do is I put $500 in my checking every month and make sure to under-spend it so that I have money for the occasional large expense. Everything else goes to retirement savings. If there was something I wanted to spend on, I would, but I just don't. My favorite things to do are either hiking, or reading at home, both of which are free.

If I didn't insist on buying organic vegetables, there would be even more space in that $500 monthly budget.

treadingwater
Posts: 33
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:01 pm

Re: Anyone want to share their monthly budget? Here's ours

Post by treadingwater » Tue May 28, 2019 3:05 pm

Married 53. retired. DH still working.
LCOL state
direct tv 95 may cancel. only watching hbo and netflix
gas/electric 300
netflix 9
water/sewer/garbage 100
house insurance 80
motorcycle insurance 7
health insurance 303
car insurance 38 (liability only on 2 older cars)
1 cell phone 37 (husband has company phone)
groceries/dining out/misc household necessities 800
house taxes 370
newspaper 13
gas 40
golf 100
vacations 500
entertainment/plays/movies/concerts 100
gifts 125
income tax 500
misc 500
our nice life costs approx 50k/yr

gusan
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:23 am

Re: Anyone want to share their monthly budget? Here's ours

Post by gusan » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:54 pm

Regattamom wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 11:56 am
gusan wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:10 pm
Primary Mortgage $2,752
Primary Property Tax $640
Primary Hazard Insurance $115
Primary Electricity and Gas $151
Primary Water, Sewage and Trash $157
Primary HOA $22
Car Payment $1,140
Auto Insurance $111
Auto Registration $34
Auto Repair $149
Auto Gas $272
Grocery $759
Eating Out - Restaurants and Fast Food $587
Clothes $284
Fitness $249
Tennis Classes - Kids $240
Dance Classes - Kids $195
Study Classes - Kids $199
After School Activities - Coding, Chess $134
School Activities $34
Summer Camps $502
Kids College Funds $600
Kids Clothes $186
Home Supplies $202
Home Repair/Improvement $2,042
Home Cleaning $85
Grooming $127
Yard Maintenance/Plants / Fertilizers $298
Cable and Internet $85
Cell Phone $153
Grooming - Pet $37
Pet Medicine and Insurance $83
Pet Day Camps & Overnight Stays $87
Pet Food $16
Air Tickets $74
Hotels $45
Rental Cars $33
Traveling (Tickets etc.) $336
Doctor Visits $157
Medicines $23
Dental $70
Entertainment / Movies / Museums $96
Life Insurance $39
Misc $3,549
Gifts $120

Saving Rate 28%
Curious how you have a misc monthly budget expense of $3,549 that doesn't fit into any of the other categories listed? You've itemized in great detail, yet the largest expense in "miscellaneous". Where does it go?
I believe it was a tax situation

Clarice
Posts: 175
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:26 pm
Location: Orlando FL

Re: Anyone want to share their monthly budget? Here's ours

Post by Clarice » Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:25 am

djpeteski wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:29 pm
Tyrobi wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:53 pm

Gift/Charity: $500
Thank you for being one of the few budgets that includes significant charitable giving. IMHO, this is a key part of wealth building.
How does giving wealth build wealth?

MikeG62
Posts: 2197
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:20 pm
Location: New Jersey

Re: Anyone want to share their monthly budget? Here's ours

Post by MikeG62 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:09 am

SQRT wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 7:44 am
Perhaps a separate thread for retirees? I would post mine to start one but too far out of normal range to be of much use.
Ha-ha, me too. We'd be assaulted by the frugal police if we did. :sharebeer
Real Knowledge Comes Only From Experience

SQRT
Posts: 1187
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:44 am

Re: Anyone want to share their monthly budget? Here's ours

Post by SQRT » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:54 am

MikeG62 wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:09 am
SQRT wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 7:44 am
Perhaps a separate thread for retirees? I would post mine to start one but too far out of normal range to be of much use.
Ha-ha, me too. We'd be assaulted by the frugal police if we did. :sharebeer
Right. Why get people all upset. :beer

scrabbler1
Posts: 2424
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:39 pm

Re: Anyone want to share their monthly budget? Here's ours

Post by scrabbler1 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:58 am

MikeG62 wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:09 am
SQRT wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 7:44 am
Perhaps a separate thread for retirees? I would post mine to start one but too far out of normal range to be of much use.
Ha-ha, me too. We'd be assaulted by the frugal police if we did. :sharebeer
Me too. I don't keep quite as many categories as most of the rest of you. Mainly the easily quantifiable ones, the ones I pay every month or less often.

I am 56, retired for 11 years, single, no kids.

Housing (monthly co-op maintenance payment): $565
Health insurance: $647
internet/cable TV/phone: $178
Car insurance: $55
Food: $200
Income Taxes: $225
Electric: $55
Everything else: $150

Total: $2,075 per month

prairieman
Posts: 144
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:17 pm

Re: Anyone want to share their monthly budget? Here's ours

Post by prairieman » Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:00 pm

I don’t really know anymore. I have everything automated and so all I do is keep track of total investment account balances and checking account balance. If checking account balance is getting too big or small, I transfer money.
We definitely live below our means since the total investment balance tends to increase with time.

ddurrett896
Posts: 1093
Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:23 pm

Re: Anyone want to share their monthly budget? Here's ours

Post by ddurrett896 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:05 pm

MortgageOnBlack wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:02 pm
-$458.33 ROTH IRA Contribution
You can bump to $500 this year.

EDIT: just realized this thread is over a year old.

CMD1
Posts: 80
Joined: Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:10 pm

Re: Anyone want to share their monthly budget? Here's ours

Post by CMD1 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:30 pm

jjunk wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:11 pm
I'm now super depressed at what we spend for rent after seeing this thread.

We're a married couple, single earner making 185K gross in Seattle. Our avg monthly expenses right now are $5,250/mo all in, $3,000/mo of that is rent. Remainder covers all necessities as well as any discretionary. Rent increases have averaged 10-12%/year but hopefully those will slow a bit in coming years as inventory increases and the market cools off.
Why would you be depressed, sounds like your killing it. We are also in Seattle, a family of 4 with income a bit less than yours. Our rent is less but still about 20% of gross income, just as yours is. Your non rent expenses are really great for Seattle, maybe it's because we have 2 kids but to only spend 2,250 excluding housing is good and obviously allows you to save a ton.

iamblessed
Posts: 262
Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:52 am

Re: Anyone want to share their monthly budget? Here's ours

Post by iamblessed » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:03 pm

This month for two
credit card 640
house taxes/insurance 316
utilities 300
health care 100
state taxes 150
charity 100

Total 1606

Jakabedy
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:41 pm

Re: Anyone want to share their monthly budget? Here's ours

Post by Jakabedy » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:22 am

Single, 54, no kids, LCOL area

Monthly gross: $10,100
Pre-tax
Taxes: $2371
Pension: $1080
403b: $750
Health/Dental/Vision: $234
FSA: $50
Post-tax
Parking: $110
Life/Disability: $20
Take home: $5,500

Monthly Spending
Mortgage PITI: $1300 (15-year)
Utilities: $260
Cable/Internet/Streaming: $200
Cell phone: $72 (employer reimburses $40)
Car Insurance: $120
Auto gas: $120
Newspaper: $10
Groceries/Dining Out: $700
Misc. expenses/sinking fund: $500 (clothing, vet, car/home repairs, entertainment, splurges, etc.)
Monthly nut: ($3,242)

Roth: ($583)
____________________
Surplus: $1,675



24% taxes
24% pension + 403b + Roth
36% monthly overhead costs (including payroll deductions)
16% surplus

I’m 1-year s/p divorce. I’ve just finished paying off all the divorce-related debt, so the surplus is now going toward building up the emergency fund again. After that, I’ll increase 403b and/or start paying extra toward the mortgage so the house is paid off prior to retirement in 10 years.

7eight9
Posts: 359
Joined: Fri May 17, 2019 7:11 pm

Re: Anyone want to share their monthly budget? Here's ours

Post by 7eight9 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:39 am

2018 annual figures. 2 adults - MCOL city. No mortgage or car payments.

$188.1K - W2 wages

$18.6K - Income tax
$7.0K - International travel
$5.3K - HOA / Property taxes / insurance
$4.0K - Car insurance / registration / repair / gasoline (2 cars)
$3.3K - Food (groceries, beverages, eating out)
$2.6K - Household (everything from dish soap to a new bed)
$2.0K - Electric / natural gas / internet / home phone / cellular phones (2)
$0.5K - Gifts
$0.4K - Clothing

Approximately $18.1K for day to day living ($1,500/month).

Income tax exceeds our annual requisite spend (excluding international travel which I view as discretionary).

And we spent pretty close to the poverty line for two people of $16,460 in 2018.
I guess it all could be much worse. | They could be warming up my hearse.

Post Reply