Help Me Decide on a New Vehicle?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
GiannaLuna

Help Me Decide on a New Vehicle?

Post by GiannaLuna »

I'm currently driving a 2013 Toyota RAV4 and it's still in great shape with low mileage. I've considered it my grocery-getter and weekend vehicle, but my lifestyle is about to change.

I'll be retiring, so no more commuting (even though my commute is very short) and a lot more road trips...some involving outdoor excursions and ski trips.

I'd like a vehicle that offers a more comfortable ride than the RAV4, has more cargo space for luggage, fold down seats for skis and is yet, just as reliable as the Toyota has been.

I'm open to any make and model and style as long as it's own known for reliability.

Thanks!
beyou

Re: Help Me Decide on a New Vehicle?

Post by beyou »

For skiing, Subaru Outback...AWD and lots of room for equipment in the back.
Much more comfortable on highway drives than a small SUV.
GmanJeff

Post by GmanJeff »

The RAV4 is generally characterized as a compact crossover SUV, and since you'd like more room the next logical step up would be to something typically described as mid-size. Depending on your budget, that could include possibilities like the Toyota Highlander and Honda Pilot, or European options like the BMW X5, Mercedes GLE, Porsche Cayenne, and Audi Q5. I suspect Subaru models will offer neither materially more cargo carrying capacity, nor a better ride, than the RAV4. If you'd consider a wagon, Mercedes makes one in the mid-size E Class.

The European brands will feel different on the road than the Japanese options, with generally better-controlled body motions, more emphasis on responsive handling, and optional performance enhancements which allow certain models to keep up with pure sports cars. They also will typically cost more, and be more expensive to maintain and to repair after the warranties expire.

Consumer Reports can give you reliability ratings, which vary not only between brands but between models within brands.
tcassette

Post by tcassette »

+1 on the Subaru Outback. If possible, you should rent one for at least a few days to really get a feel for the ride and comfort. The 2020 models are on a new platform, so reliability relative to the 2015-19 models is unknown, but I am on my third Outback and have found them to be pretty reliable.
Summit111

Post by Summit111 »

Toyota Highlander
“Got my mind on my money, and my money on my mind!” Snoop Dog
Nate79

Post by Nate79 »

We currently drive an Ascent and a Forester. Love them both. Just recently rented a Highlander for a week with a lot of driving and was significantly underwhelmed. I definately would not recommend a Highlander after that experience.
krafty81

Post by krafty81 »

So many great small SUVs out there. Look at Kia Sportage, Mazda CX-5, Buick Encore AWD.
sk2101

Post by sk2101 »

Lexus RX350, which is a more luxurious version of the Highlander.
Last edited by sk2101 on Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marylander1

Post by Marylander1 »

tcassette wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:27 pm +1 on the Subaru Outback. If possible, you should rent one for at least a few days to really get a feel for the ride and comfort.
Any recommendations on how one can rent a Subaru? I'm heading to Denver in December and would gladly pay extra for one. I've never been offered a rental Subaru.

Marylander1
GmanJeff

Post by GmanJeff »

sk2101 wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:29 pm Lexus RX350, which is a more luxurious version of the Highlander.
This is likely to be a reliable option which meets the OP's desire for a larger vehicle, but the styling of the front end is polarizing, to put it politely.
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

GiannaLuna wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:29 pm I'm currently driving a 2013 Toyota RAV4 and it's still in great shape with low mileage. I've considered it my grocery-getter and weekend vehicle, but my lifestyle is about to change.

I'll be retiring, so no more commuting (even though my commute is very short) and a lot more road trips...some involving outdoor excursions and ski trips.

I'd like a vehicle that offers a more comfortable ride than the RAV4, has more cargo space for luggage, fold down seats for skis and is yet, just as reliable as the Toyota has been.

I'm open to any make and model and style as long as it's own known for reliability.

Thanks!
Your requirements are too wide. I'd suggest you sit at the computer and go through all the manufacturers' websites and view their current offerings to see what they have.

Then I'd suggest you visit www.consumerreports.org and view the Auto Issue, also likely available at your library.

Sites like www.edmunds.com will also help.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, EV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.
Nate79

Post by Nate79 »

Marylander1 wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:29 pm
tcassette wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:27 pm +1 on the Subaru Outback. If possible, you should rent one for at least a few days to really get a feel for the ride and comfort.
Any recommendations on how one can rent a Subaru? I'm heading to Denver in December and would gladly pay extra for one. I've never been offered a rental Subaru.

Marylander1
Renting a Subaru is very challenging. A quick Google search of Subaru rental in Denver did get a few hits that you might want to check out. Otherwise I would request an extended overnight test drive.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

If you're concerned that you could face sudden or deep snow and want a real AWD system, your list is Subaru, Audi, Jeep and Land Rover. When you add reliability, pay attention to the order this list is in from most to least reliable. Of course, run snow tires.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr »

This site while focused on complaints might be useful:

www.carcomplaints.com
“Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.” -Retired 13 years 😀
tomd37

Post by tomd37 »

GiannaLuna - If you look at the annual April issues of Consumer Reports for auto comparisons, also look specifically at the April 2018 issue as it has a special article on the 25 Best Cars For Seniors. Back in July I purchased a 2019 Subaru Outback with the 3.6 liter engine in the "Touring" trim line and am very pleased with it thus far. I am in my early 80s and comfort and visibility are very important to me. In my opinion, it's a great vehicle.
Tom D.
rai

Post by rai »

We have a 2018 Subaru Outback. I bought it for our Daughter and although it’s the base engine I’m very impressed with the performance, fuel economy and safety features. The newest version can be had with a turbo which is not essential but if was me I’d get that because I like some more performance.

So far our Outback has been flawless although just 20k miles.

I also own a 2007 Subaru Legacy wagon and it’s not much to look at but has been very reliable and it will drive outstanding in bad weather.

The newer Subaru is nicer in every way to my old Legacy. If I was ever going to replace I’d get the Outback if was in a snow area.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans" - John Lennon. | | "You say that money, isn't everything | But I'd like to see you live without it." - Silverchair
researcher

Post by researcher »

GiannaLuna wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:29 pm I'm currently driving a 2013 Toyota RAV4
I know there is a core group of very passionate Subaru owners here, but I would urge you to test drive these three vehicles...
- Honda Passport: Nice, spacious 2-row SUV. Reasonable ground clearance & AWD capability.
- Mazda CX-9: By far the best driving vehicle in its segment, very nice materials/fit & finish. A bit smaller than the others.
- Kia Telluride: An incredible vehicle and value. It is bigger than the others, but it is a very impressive overall.
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

researcher wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:12 amI know there is a core group of very passionate Subaru owners here, but I would urge you to test drive these three vehicles...
- Honda Passport: Nice, spacious 2-row SUV. Reasonable ground clearance & AWD capability.
- Mazda CX-9: By far the best driving vehicle in its segment, very nice materials/fit & finish. A bit smaller than the others.
- Kia Telluride: An incredible vehicle and value. It is bigger than the others, but it is a very impressive overall.
Lots of good choices, but CX-9 isn't smaller in the garage, maybe the cockpit and/or perception.
Nate79 wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:21 amRenting a Subaru is very challenging. A quick Google search of Subaru rental in Denver did get a few hits that you might want to check out. Otherwise I would request an extended overnight test drive.
Turo only brought up a couple of newer Outbacks in Denver available immediately. Play around with dates and locations and you might find more. You could also try dealers for a loaner or extended test drive.

https://turo.com/en-us/search?country=U ... me=10%3A00

OP, how many passengers? Especially those ski trips? Where do you want to hold the skiis? Inside vehicle vs outside on a roof rack vs cargo box? You'd have a hard time holding 4 pairs of skiis inside any vehicle with 4 passengers. In some 5 passenger vehicles, might work with some vehicles with 3 pairs/passengers and one side in the back folded down. For 3 row vehicles, you might have to fold down one seat on both back rows to fit 4. Will 200s fit flat diagonally with just the 3rd row folded down? Or maybe look for 40/20/40 type of configurations for those extra passengers.
Last edited by inbox788 on Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
dwickenh

Post by dwickenh »

Summit111 wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:28 pm Toyota Highlander
+1 I just bought a new Highlander due to a great rebate and pricing from a local dealer. There is a redesigned model
for 2020 so they are dealing on the last year for this model(2019).

I had a Honda CRV and was happy with it in town. Like you, I was traveling more and wanted a better ride/more cargo space.
The Highlander has not disappointed.

Good luck in your search!!

Dan
The market is the most efficient mechanism anywhere in the world for transferring wealth from impatient people to patient people.” | — Warren Buffett
coffeeblack

Post by coffeeblack »

Acura is another option.
researcher

Post by researcher »

inbox788 wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:17 am
researcher wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:12 amI know there is a core group of very passionate Subaru owners here, but I would urge you to test drive these three vehicles...
Lots of good choices, but CX-9 isn't smaller in the garage, maybe the cockpit and/or perception.
Given the OP's stated need for more cargo space, I was referring to the cargo capacity of the CX-9, not the exterior dimensions.
beyou

Post by beyou »

Given the desire for more space than existing small SUV, why suggest other small SUV brands ?

I had suggested Outback in part because it's bigger (I have a Forester and Outback does have more cargo and better on long drives).
But the new Ascent or other mid-size SUV models may be more interesting. I would go to a Subaru dealer and ask to test drive both the Ascent and Outback. If you prefer the Ascent, there are many similarly sized vehicles from many brands. Not much else just like Outback though. Not better just a something that Subaru decided to keep when others were getting rid of (wagons).
Whakamole

Post by Whakamole »

Marylander1
My local Hertz office has at least one Outback. It's one of the neighborhood (non-airport) locations. You'd probably have to call and see which location(s) offer it and make sure to get a reservation on that specific car.
UnLearnYourself

Post by UnLearnYourself »

GiannaLuna wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:29 pm I'm currently driving a 2013 Toyota RAV4 and it's still in great shape with low mileage. I've considered it my grocery-getter and weekend vehicle, but my lifestyle is about to change.

Thanks!
New Honda Ridgeline trucks are amazing.

Had an '09 Rav4 before this, and the ride on the Ridgeline is smoother than any vehicle I've ever owned, seats fold up so the back of the cabin is wide open storage, has a huge trunk under the truck bed for extra storage, and if you get a nice hard cover with a locking handle for the tail gate you have a ton of safe storage for skis or whatever.

Hands down best vehicle I've ever owned and it's not even close. Getting about 23mpg overall.
J295

Post by J295 »

Lexus GX 460 has been great for us. Lots of room, great ride, super reliable.

Yep, it’s expensive to buy and expensive to fuel.

Maintenance has been essentially nonexistent. Oil changes and recommended fluids. First set of brakes lasted to 70,000 miles. First set of tires made it 60,000 miles
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

Op, do you have a "go to" car brand? Car purchases are very personal and full of personal experience.

You may have had a trouble car and will never buy that brand again. We can probably list all the available mid sized to larger SUV for you to look at.

If you are trading in your Rav4, I would look at a Highlander or 4Runner. I think the driving experience would be better than the Rav4. 3rd row seat, but just keep that folded down most of the time. For skiis, you would probably have to fold down one middle row seat or maybe a roof rack.

If you like unique cars, consider an AWD Ford Flex. Car like drive with SUV space. The square shape lends to good capacity. Usually they can be found at steep discounts.

Write down all your criteria, your favorite brand/brands and exclusions. Start researching the options. Good luck!
Last edited by bloom2708 on Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

Thanks!
Toyota Highlander, Four Runner, etc.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Socrates

Outback is an excellent car

Post by Socrates »

you get a lot of features for the price and I believe the eyesight pack come standard on base models. My AC went out on my 2004 CRV and currently driving a transition car (old Chevy Equinox from family member) until I figure things out

some of the cars people have suggested are significantly more (Acura, BMW, Highlander) and the base models can be sparse

I also see Honda CRV is coming out with a hybrid in 2020.

My family and I have had several Hondas and Suburus over the last 30 years and they are very reliable, inexpensive to maintain and consistently highly rated.
“Don't waste your time looking back. You're not going that way.” ― Ragnar Lothbrok.
dsmclone

Post by dsmclone »

I'd recommend looking at a year or two old CPO from Lexus, Infiniti, Acura, etc. Let someone else take that depreciation hit and at the same time get a luxury vehicle for the same price as a new run-of-the-mill SUV. I've owned nearly 20 cars and I've been most satisfied going this route. For example:

If I look in my area

2017 Acura MDX W/Technology and Entertainment package
14k miles
39K probably can be easily purchase for $36k.
Original MSRP $53,400

Now compare that to a few new vehicles that everyone loves on Bogleheads.

2019 Mazda CX-5 Signature $37,935
2019 Subaru Outback Touring $37,345

With the MDX you'll get that smooth 3.5l V6 that they have used in a ton of their vehicles and has proved to be reliable. Turbo 4 cyl's are the big thing now but in my experience the Honda V6 is tough to beat. You also get a standard transmission instead of a CVT(Subaru). I prefer the MDX interior but the Outback and CX-5 are also nice. The Mazda and Subaru will have that new car smell for a few months but in 2021 it's going to look something like this:

2019 Mazda CX-5 Signature 24,000 miles $22k KBB resale (2 years old)
2019 Subaru Outback Touring 24,000 miles $25k KBB resale (2 years old)
2017 Acura MDX 38,000 miles $23k KBB resale (4 years old)

So for roughly the same overall cost you can drive a better vehicle in nearly every way but you don't get the new car smell. On a side note, the CPO warranty is actually longer than the warranty on the two new vehicles.

Not trying to sell you on an MDX, just using it as a comparison. The CX-9 is another example of a vehicle that losses a decent amount of resale so would be a good option to pick up a couple years old. You could get a couple of year old top of the line CX-9 for under $30k used.

Go drive some new ones and some CPO luxury vehicles to see how they compare. My wife had a 8 year old RDX and the interior was dated but the thing rode like it was new. We have friends that had a 12 year old pilot with 180k miles and if you didn't look at the odometer you'd think it has 20k miles on it.
randomguy

Post by randomguy »

dsmclone wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:44 pm I'd recommend looking at a year or two old CPO from Lexus, Infiniti, Acura, etc. Let someone else take that depreciation hit and at the same time get a luxury vehicle for the same price as a new run-of-the-mill SUV. I've owned nearly 20 cars and I've been most satisfied going this route. For example:

If I look in my area

2017 Acura MDX W/Technology and Entertainment package
14k miles
Original MSRP $53,400

2019 Subaru Outback Touring $37,345

With the MDX you'll get that smooth 3.5l V6 that they have used in a ton of their vehicles and has proved to be reliable. Turbo 4 cyl's are the big thing now but in my experience the Honda V6 is tough to beat. You also get a standard transmission instead of a CVT(Subaru). I prefer the MDX interior but the Outback and CX-5 are also nice. The Mazda and Subaru will have that new car smell for a few months but in 2021 it's going to look something like this:

2019 Mazda CX-5 Signature 24,000 miles $22k KBB resale (2 years old)
2019 Subaru Outback Touring 24,000 miles $25k KBB resale (2 years old)
2017 Acura MDX 38,000 miles $23k KBB resale (4 years old)

So for roughly the same overall cost you can drive a better vehicle in nearly every way but you don't get the new car smell. On a side note, the CPO warranty is actually longer than the warranty on the two new vehicles.
A 2017 CX5 grand touring sells for 23k with 44k miles on it. I doubt the model that sells for 5k more is going to half a resale value of 1k less:) And of course lets not forgot all that equipment the MDX is missing. You know like HUD, carplay, ventiliate seats and so on:)

But lets look at some numbers for total cost of ownership from edmunds
a) 2017 MDX with tech -> 51k
a) 2019 CX -5 grand touring (they don't have numbers for the signature) -> 37k

You are paying 2k/year for that luxury car. The signature is probably going to be another 3-4k which is stll going to cost you cost your like 1.5k/year more for that luxury car.

If you want a luxury car, preowned might make sense. But buying a 2 year old car for 36k is going to be more expensive that buying a new 36k car or buying that 36k mainstream car at 2 years old for 28k. It should also be pointed out that Acura has been struggling a lot with reliability over the past couple of years. They aren't were they were 5 years ago. Many that 9 speed transmission.

The OP question is how much better do you need to be. The 2019 Rav4 is much better than the older one. How reliable is reliable. Nothing compares to Lexus/Toyota. But if you are ok with 1/2 more trips to the mechanic over the next 10 years, mazda, Hyundia. KIA, subaru and some hondas are probably fine. Same things with size. Either the car is big enough where you want it or it isn't. And all of these AWD systems are going to be more than adequate for anything that you through at it.

And since it needs to be said: Just get a model X. Nothing else compares:)
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

randomguy wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:29 pm And since it needs to be said: Just get a model X. Nothing else compares:)
I used to have a Roomba. When it got tired, it would automatically find a charger so it was ready for an unimpressive performance 12 hours later. Do Teslas do the same thing? :D
Wannaretireearly

Post by Wannaretireearly »

Hyundai Palisade. Just came out. Go research.
3 row suv. I can fit my skis in there. Very safe.
“At some point you are trading time you will never get back for money you will never spend.“ | “How do you want to spend the best remaining year of your life?“
Wannaretireearly

Post by Wannaretireearly »

Wannaretireearly wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:10 pm Hyundai Palisade. Just came out. Go research.
3 row suv. I can fit my skis in there. Very safe.

Or aforementioned Kia Telluride. Sister car to the Palisade.
“At some point you are trading time you will never get back for money you will never spend.“ | “How do you want to spend the best remaining year of your life?“
randomguy

Post by randomguy »

whodidntante wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:00 pm
randomguy wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:29 pm And since it needs to be said: Just get a model X. Nothing else compares:)
I used to have a Roomba. When it got tired, it would automatically find a charger so it was ready for an unimpressive performance 12 hours later. Do Teslas do the same thing? :D
Sure. Just park in the garage and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMM0lRfX6YI will charge your car for you:)

Seriously without much of a size or price limit, we can list just about every car in existence. And people have vastly different perceptions of performance and ride quality. A 2013 Rav4 was never considered a car with a nice ride. Would a 2018 CX5 be good enough or would you need to step up to say a Lexus Rx? Do you care about 0-60 or ability to take corners at 85mph or do you want isolation from the road? And so on.
random_walker

Post by random_walker »

Marylander1
I was offered an almost new Subaru Outback by Dollar Rental at Salt Lake City airport in August 2019.
I had only reserved an "intermediate SUV (Nissan Rogue or similar)" and was pleasantly surprised to be offered the Outback.
The odometer showed ~3000 miles.
It came with a lovely new car smell, was fully loaded with leather, moon roof, all safety features, GPS etc.
It was a very roomy and comfortable car for our needs.

It would seem that Outbacks are available in some locations at least.
However, I'm not sure how you can reserve a specific model online.
You may want to call them on the phone.
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

Marylander1
I went to Denver a few weeks ago and Advantage Rent A Car had a lot of Outbacks. Unfortunately I didn't know that until we walked out into the parking lot, so I'm not sure whether you can reserve one. I would have loved to rent one since I was getting ready to buy one!
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

Subaru Outback or Subaru Forester.
Stocks-80% || Bonds-20% || Taxable-VTI/VXUS || IRA-VT/BNDW
researcher

Post by researcher »

dsmclone wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:44 pm I'd recommend looking at a year or two old CPO from Lexus, Infiniti, Acura, etc. Let someone else take that depreciation hit and at the same time get a luxury vehicle for the same price as a new run-of-the-mill SUV...
So for roughly the same overall cost you can drive a better vehicle in nearly every way but you don't get the new car smell.
I'm curious why you think the 2017 Acura MDX is "a better vehicle in nearly every way" than the 2019 Mazda CX-5 Signature.

You could easily argue the opposite. The Mazda offers similar performance and the same luxury features (real wood trim, napa leather, 360 degree camera, power folding heated side mirrors, heated steering wheel, ect), but also has a lot more than the MDX...
- Heated & ventilated front seats
- Heated rear seats
- Windshield wiper de-icer
- Heads-Up Display with traffic sign recognition
- Front & rear parking sensors
2017 Acura MDX W/Technology and Entertainment package, 14k miles

You're comparing the negotiated price of the Acura with the MSRP of the Mazda, which makes no sense.
You can buy a brand new CX-5 Signature for ~$34,000 (with rebate).

In other words, you get a newer and better equipped vehicle, with 14K fewer miles, for $2K less.
I'd go with the new Mazda all day long.
dsmclone

Post by dsmclone »

researcher wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:26 am
dsmclone wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:44 pm I'd recommend looking at a year or two old CPO from Lexus, Infiniti, Acura, etc. Let someone else take that depreciation hit and at the same time get a luxury vehicle for the same price as a new run-of-the-mill SUV...
So for roughly the same overall cost you can drive a better vehicle in nearly every way but you don't get the new car smell.
I'm curious why you think the 2017 Acura MDX is "a better vehicle in nearly every way" than the 2019 Mazda CX-5 Signature.

You could easily argue the opposite. The Mazda offers similar performance and the same luxury features (real wood trim, napa leather, 360 degree camera, power folding heated side mirrors, heated steering wheel, ect), but also has a lot more than the MDX...
- Heated rear seats

You're comparing the negotiated price of the Acura with the MSRP of the Mazda, which makes no sense.

In other words, you get a newer and better equipped vehicle, with 14K fewer miles, for $2K less.
I would tell the OP just to go and drive the CX-5 and then drive a RX350, MDX, CX-9, etc. and tell me what they think. I've driven a 2018 CX-5 and it wasn't in the same ballpark. Probably the best vehicle in it's class but a whole different driving experience.
6miths

Post by 6miths »

randomguy wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:29 pmAnd since it needs to be said: Just get a model X. Nothing else compares:)
I was looking at the latest issue of CR yesterday and as much as I love Tesla, it was hard not to notice that the Model X had fallen to last place in the ratings in its segment. By quite a large margin.
'It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so!' Mark Twain
theplayer11

Post by theplayer11 »

dsmclone wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:03 am

- Heated rear seats

I would tell the OP just to go and drive the CX-5 and then drive a RX350, MDX, CX-9, etc. and tell me what they think. I've driven a 2018 CX-5 and it wasn't in the same ballpark. Probably the best vehicle in it's class but a whole different driving experience.
did you drive the turbio?...not in same ballpark is a gross exaggeration.
randomguy

Post by randomguy »

6miths wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:36 am
randomguy wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:29 pmAnd since it needs to be said: Just get a model X. Nothing else compares:)
I was looking at the latest issue of CR yesterday and as much as I love Tesla, it was hard not to notice that the Model X had fallen to last place in the ratings in its segment. By quite a large margin.
Fake news. We all know that CR is out to get tesla and that EVs run for millions of miles without any failures. I read it on a boglehead thread:)

The basics of any Boglehead car thread is
a) Someone suggesting a subaru
b) someone suggesting a Tesla
c) someone suggesting a toyota

It doesn't matter what the requirements are. You say you want a high performance sports car? How about a Subaru with those lovely CVTs. I am looking for a 15k car. How about a model X? I want a nice quiet car. How about a prius?

The big issue is that a lot of car criteria is relative. I am a big fan of the CX5. But does it have a nice interior? Compared to say a Rav4 I would go yep. Compared to a Mercedes GLC or Volvo XC60? Not really. Does it drive nicely and have decent power? Sure compared to a 2020 , Forrester . Not so much up against a Macan. Is it reliable? Definitely compared to say an XC60. Probably not against a RAV4.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

With smart summon, they do. You simply press a button and in 12 to 15 minutes, it awkwardly moves from its parking space, hits another car, moves into a busy lane of traffic, stops in the middle of the lane and then drives away, presumably to the Tesla mother ship.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
randomguy

Post by randomguy »

theplayer11 wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:13 am

In 2018 there was no signature trim so we are talking about a car without the turbo engine and without the upgraded interior cabin materials. Performance wise the turbo CX5 is in he same ballpark as the MDX. Techwise is a bit of a toss up assuming you are talking about the advanced MDX. The lower MDX trims are missing a lot of tech that the CX5 has. Interior quality? I would say still a notch below but things like seat comfort and how you feel about leather quality is very subjective. Space wise? It is like a foot and half shorter. That is a very noticeable difference.
randomguy

Post by randomguy »

Jack FFR1846 wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:21 am
With smart summon, they do. You simply press a button and in 12 to 15 minutes, it awkwardly moves from its parking space, hits another car, moves into a busy lane of traffic, stops in the middle of the lane and then drives away, presumably to the Tesla mother ship.
You have been looking at jalopnik videos also:) The summon feature was nifty and solved a real problem (tight parking spaces) in a pretty safe way. The new one requires the owners to be really responsible. Thats not going to end well:)
researcher

Post by researcher »

dsmclone wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:03 am I would tell the OP just to go and drive the CX-5 and then drive a RX350, MDX, CX-9, etc. and tell me what they think. I've driven a 2018 CX-5 and it wasn't in the same ballpark. Probably the best vehicle in it's class but a whole different driving experience.
So you don't even have any first hand knowledge with the car, as it wasn't introduced until 2019!
You can't claim the 2017 Acura MDX is "a better vehicle in nearly every way" if you've never even driven the CX-5 Signature.

The 2018 CX-5 model you drove did NOT have any of these features standard on the 2019 Signature model...
- 250HP/310lb-ft torque motor, real wood trim, napa leather, 360 degree camera, power folding heated side mirrors, heated steering wheel, ventilated front seats, windshield wiper de-icer, front & rear parking sensors, ect.

Here are a few things Car & Driver said, after actually driving the car...
- Feels more expensive than it is, gorgeous styling inside and out, captivating ride and handling.
- Wake up inside the top-tier CX-5 models, and you might think you've been abducted by kidnappers who own an Audi or a Mercedes
- It has the ride quality of crossovers that cost twice as much.
- Its rich-looking interior puts it in a class above its price-point peers. First-rate materials and a fabulous layout make it feel especially upscale.
- CX-5 Signature is nicer—to drive, to look at, and to sit in—than some similarly sized crossovers with full-on premium badges
Last edited by researcher on Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
theplayer11

Post by theplayer11 »

randomguy wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:22 am

In 2018 there was no signature trim so we are talking about a car without the turbo engine and without the upgraded interior cabin materials. Performance wise the turbo CX5 is in he same ballpark as the MDX. Techwise is a bit of a toss up assuming you are talking about the advanced MDX. The lower MDX trims are missing a lot of tech that the CX5 has. Interior quality? I would say still a notch below but things like seat comfort and how you feel about leather quality is very subjective. Space wise? It is like a foot and half shorter. That is a very noticeable difference.
I've always thought cargo space is so overrated between different SUVs. How often is anybody going to stack boxes from the floor to the ceiling to take advantage of those few extra cubic feet? Any SUV I've owned(compact to mid size) has carried everything I ever needed to carry on a trip. Anything larger, I use my truck.
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

- Heated rear seats

We did and we bought a 2019 Mazda CX-5 last week (Grand touring). Great ride and has a full life warrantee left compared to a 2 year old car that will need brakes and tires earlier. Helps to compare apples and apples and not one years used cars to another's new cars.
Good luck with whatever the OP decides.
Whakamole

Post by Whakamole »

theplayer11 wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:36 am
randomguy wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:22 am

I've always thought cargo space is so overrated between different SUVs. How often is anybody going to stack boxes from the floor to the ceiling to take advantage of those few extra cubic feet? Any SUV I've owned(compact to mid size) has carried everything I ever needed to carry on a trip. Anything larger, I use my truck.
Dimensions make a difference though. Going back to Subaru, the Outback and Forester have similar cargo volume, but the Outback is longer and a bit shorter. Whether that matters depends on what you plan to take with you. For skis, you might want something a bit longer. Even better, take the skis with you to the dealer, see how well they fit.
surfstar

Post by surfstar »

Whakamole wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:52 am
theplayer11 wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:36 am
Dimensions make a difference though. Going back to Subaru, the Outback and Forester have similar cargo volume, but the Outback is longer and a bit shorter. Whether that matters depends on what you plan to take with you. For skis, you might want something a bit longer. Even better, take the skis with you to the dealer, see how well they fit.
Cargo space is highly rated for us. We drive a "compact" car - a 2016 Golf Sportwagen. It has the same cargo volume as a similar year Mazda CX5, yet cost much less to purchase, gets much better gas mileage, while being more fun/engaging to drive, with much better pickup (1.8T vs a 2.5 na).

Trucks are horrible on gas, highly overpriced and drive like, well, a truck. Every time I wish we had more space for camping gear (usually firewood), I contemplate a truck, but am not sure we want the penalty for only 5% of our trips. If we needed more ground clearance, more often, possibly. It is highly likely that an Outback will serve our next vehicle needs, though.

We fit skis/snowboards inside our wagon just fine. Getting near 40 mpg highway without anything on the roof is my goal when our snow trips require hours of driving.