Missing my Microsoft Money - any equivalents?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Sheepdog

Re: Missing my Microsoft Money - any equivalents?

Post by Sheepdog » Sun May 27, 2018 11:20 am

golf247 wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 10:05 am

I'd really like Microsoft to bring back MSMoney or opensource it for continued growth as I think there is still a decent amount of hidden users that still have this as their main software. This long post is my attempt to bring some light into this hidden world. Hopefully it helps others with their financial needs.
I would like Money to come back also. However, I still use Money 2002 every day and stored in it is 30 years of investing and spending. I just can't download anything to it, but since I do continue to manually enter fund prices, investments, credit card transactions, etc. I am able to continue to use it for investment and taxes and future cash flow planning...in other words, all finances.
Just because it isn't your fault doesn't mean it isn't your responsibility....Josh Reid Jones

M6WIQ

Post by M6WIQ » Mon May 28, 2018 4:08 am

One method that I have heard at work by another Microsoft Money devotee is to use a Virtual Machine with a copy of Windows in it to use the software. You can also set up a Virtual Folder between the VM and your Mac so you could map it to Dropbox for automatic backups as well.

All you need is a copy of Windows and Virtualbox.

https://www.virtualbox.org/
-- | Please Phone after 6PM when I have gone home.

golf247

Post by golf247 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:43 am

golf247 wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 10:05 am
I've been using sunset deluxe microsoft money since they discontinued it around 2011 (using MS Money since 2001). It can work on Win10 and can still get online updates using Pocketsense. Two key websites to check for assistance is Ameridan's wordpress site (not a typo..it is a D) and the pocketsense site.
Additional info: there was a dll I had to update to work on win10 (details on ameridan's site). Pocket sense comes off a little scary as the initial setup is slightly daunting, but it has been amazing and easy once it is setup.

I tried GNUcash for a while and that might be what I'd eventually change to but MSMoney has continued to work well, so I've never been firmly pushed away from it. I've not seen quicken's user base be extremely happy with it, thus I never invested any time with it.

I'd really like Microsoft to bring back MSMoney or opensource it for continued growth as I think there is still a decent amount of hidden users that still have this as their main software. This long post is my attempt to bring some light into this hidden world. Hopefully it helps others with their financial needs.
Just wanted to revisit this to say Microsoft Money Deluxe Sunset (google it) is still working great for me on win10. I use pocketsense to get quotes and setup directconnect with supporting banks and financial institutions.
https://sites.google.com/site/pocketsen ... eyfixp1/p2

Summary of how it works: You install python, setup your config file for what sites to download from, setup username/pwd for sites and then setup a website link in MSMoney. Then you just follow the link to kickoff the logins/downloads to get quotes, etc.

Only real challenges I find is that more and more banks are discontinuing OFX direct connect support (like CapOne appears to have done in the last week). Most banks support downloading from their website directly for qfx or ofx and that works fine 95% of the time...although I'd prefer the direct connect option to be available and typical base my choice of bank or FI on whether they support direct connect.

mfposa

Post by mfposa » Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:21 am

I use pocketsense for updates too. However, I think the world is moving on to two step verification and pocketsense won't work then. Plus it's a little complicated and my spouse would not be able to do it should something happen to me. Finally, it seems a little klugy and may stop working at any moment. Other than that, it's great. I periodically search for a replacement for MS Money sunset addition (that's what I was doing now), but can't find anything with the reporting and general layout that's as good as Money.