When to put on new roof?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
dm200

When to put on new roof?

Post by dm200 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:08 am

We will soon need to replace the roof on our house (almost 40 years since we did the current roof).

With, probably, a degree of flexibility, are there better times/seasons to do this?

The two (probably equal to me) considerations I can think of are:
1. Getting a lower price to have the work done - for example, I hear radio ads from roofing companies about lower prices at certain times of the year.
2. Quality of the roof/work, etc. Two possible aspects - are weather conditions better or worse for installation of roofing - and do workers do a better job at certain times?

jucor

Re: When to put on new roof?

Post by jucor » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:18 am

I'm in the midwest, and I asked a friend in the roofing business similar questions before we got our roof replaced 12 years ago -- according to him, the shoulder seasons of fall and spring are good times, as his business was slower, and in his opinion, his workers did a better job because they weren't boiling or freezing.

Whether or not his opinion is representative of roofers in general or applicable in your area is unknown. :?

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:20 am

dm200 wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:08 am
We will soon need to replace the roof on our house (almost 40 years since we did the current roof).

With, probably, a degree of flexibility, are there better times/seasons to do this?

1. Getting a lower price to have the work done - for example, I hear radio ads from roofing companies about lower prices at certain times of the year.
2. Quality of the roof/work, etc. Two possible aspects - are weather conditions better or worse for installation of roofing - and do workers do a better job at certain times?
1. Prices shouldn't vary by times of year. The goal is still the best quality job from a reputable company for a reasonably price.
2. Any time of the year. Except for winter if it is freezing or near freezing, ice, snow, rains. Or, any other rainy season. Or, extremes. IE: Phoenix in the summer at 120 degrees!!!

Otherwise, roofers work all year round.

40 years is a long time for a roof.
What kind of roof is the existing roof?
j :happy
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

ponyboy

Post by ponyboy » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:26 am

Word of advice, do not cheap out on a roof. You're going to have it for 30ish years. Break that down per year and roofs arent that expensive. People spend more on coffee per year than they do on their roof.

I have a buddy right now as we speak who is going through a nightmare with the contractor he hired. He was the best priced one. Now he's finding out why. Took two guys 3 days to tear off a roof that joe nobody experience could have did in a couple hours. Not sure if anyone ever tore off a roof before...its not difficult and it goes fast. Ive probably helped on a dozen roof jobs. Im telling you have little to no experience and could have ripped it off in a couple hours. Its not a steep roof so its nearly impossible to fall off, and its fairly small.

After they tore off the roof, they decided to leave for the day without throwing down tar paper, actually they're using some sort of plastic stuff thats hard to tear. Ive never used that, only ever tar paper. It rained like crazy all next day, leaks all over the house. Its been 3 days since and they still havent finished one half of the roof. They work 4 hours a day then leave.

tl;dr...you get what you pay for. YOu're either going to pay now, or you're going to pay later. Either way, you're going to pay up. Hire a well known outfit. Ask your friends/family who they used, and if they liked how they worked. References are useless. Anyone can be a reference. Make sure you know the person personally you're asking. A roof is kinda sorta important imo. Again, its going to be there for 30 years. Not a job to cheap out on.

Oh and remember, everyones a contractors, very few are craftsman.

Shallowpockets

Post by Shallowpockets » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:27 am

If you have no leak issues with your roof why not wait until a hail storm and damage to the roof. Then your insurance will come into play.

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:34 am

Shallowpockets wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:27 am
If you have no leak issues with your roof why not wait until a hail storm and damage to the roof. Then your insurance will come into play.
Actually, it may not.

My mother's roof is over 20 years old, original to the house. Had a leak develop and cause damage. Insurance has agreed to pay interior damage, but has denied paying for roof repair or replacement citing "lack of maintenance". They said "can you show any work order or receipt of an inspection / repair of the roof", and the answer was no.

To the OP:

If you have a normal shingle roof, you MAY be way outside the warranty period, highly likely. As you consider replacements, make sure you review shingle company warranties very closely. Most cover product, not labor, which is most of the actual cost. Some, if you use an installer certified by the roofing shingle manufacturer, can be up to 50 years and cover everything. For example, see the Owens Corning site - https://www.owenscorning.com/roofing/warranty/ Note that even their best warranty reduces coverage after 25 years.
Last edited by RickBoglehead on Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

dunkmachine

Post by dunkmachine » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:35 am

Follow the manufacturer's recommendation for roofing in cool/cold weather. Each shingle has a thermally activated sealant strip that bonds the shingle to the one below it. If not properly sealed, a strong wind could bend the single back, exposing the nail strip and be more prone to be ripped off the roof.

https://www.owenscorning.com/NetworkSha ... -TB-05.pdf

We live in the Texas panhandle and specifically choose to wait to reroof until mid-October when the temperatures are still in the 60-70's. It's the latest our roofer felt comfortable doing it. We targeted this time as we have flower beds around the majority of the house that we didn't want to get trampled on during peak summer beauty and after the bermuda grass started to go dormant.

Frank Grimes

Post by Frank Grimes » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:35 am

Shallowpockets wrote:
Yup. It's likely dependent on the area as to how it will affect your homeowner's insurance but after a hail storm the roofing companies flood our market with ads. We bit on that a few years back at my old house. The roofing company handles getting the insurance adjuster our there to confirm the damage and it ends up not affecting your insurance rate. Just costs you the insurance deductible OOP for a new roof. Not bad.

Frank Grimes

Post by Frank Grimes » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:36 am

RickBoglehead wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:34 am
Shallowpockets wrote:
Actually, it may not.

My mother's roof is over 20 years old, original to the house. Had a leak develop and cause damage. Insurance has agreed to pay interior damage, but has denied paying for roof repair or replacement citing "lack of maintenance". They said "can you show any work order or receipt of an inspection / repair of the roof", and the answer was no.
It's the hail damage that gets the insurance to replace it, not normal wear and tear

TN_Boy

Post by TN_Boy » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:36 am

dm200 wrote:

Just be sure you have zero small leaks now. A few years ago I waited a little too long to replace a roof. Because I waited, I had to replace several some of the plywood roof sheathing, which added a few hundred dollars to the cost. No interior problems, just a more expensive roof replacement.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:37 am

We're having our roof done next week. The best time for us to have the roof done is next week. It has several major problems and the shingles are old enough that I don't feel like I'm giving up any real life to put it off. 40 years is way overdue. I chose my roofer on reputation and a glowing recommendation from someone I know who was extremely diligent vetting roofers.

If you're looking for the lowest price guy around, enjoy your leaks.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:43 am

I had my old roof ripped off, then put down new 5/8 wood down, then tar paper, weather barrier, attic venting, lifetime shingles. I don’t have a large roof. Took 5 guys 2 hours to rip the old roof off which had two layers of old shingle off and the rest of the day to finish the roof. Started at 7:30 in the morning, cleaned up at 6pm, gone by 7pm. Roof came out great. I had it done in the last week of September.

Besides age, is there anything that you see that requires a roof change? Leaks, shingle curling or ripped off in certain locations or you are seeing the granules on shingle at the bottom of your gutter spout? I had a few shingles blow off during a rainstorm and I was seeing the granules of the roofing tile appear at the bottom of the gutter spout.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

Topic Author
dm200

Post by dm200 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:52 am

Sandtrap wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:20 am
dm200 wrote:
1. Prices shouldn't vary by times of year. The goal is still the best quality job from a reputable company for a reasonably price.
2. Any time of the year. Except for winter if it is freezing or near freezing, ice, snow, rains. Or, any other rainy season. Or, extremes. IE: Phoenix in the summer at 120 degrees!!!

40 years is a long time for a roof.
What kind of roof is the existing roof?

j :happy
Yes - it is a long time. :)

I cannot recall the details, but I think just regular shingles - I do not recall paying anything extra.

We needed to do the roofing job not long after buying the house - in late 1970's.

The house we build about 1939 - so I believed that the roof on 1979 or so must have been the second layer of shingles. So, we engaged the roofing company to take off the shingles - since you cannot or should not have more than two layers of shingles.

In the middle of the work, the roofing company told us that part of the roof had two layers of shingles - but part was one layer - the original roof. So, we made the decision to have the roofer only take off the two layer part - and shingle over the one layer part - and that cost us less money. With 20/20 hindsight - that was a BAD decision. Now we have a roof that has some with one layer and some with two! Another mistake we made (probably not a big deal) was that we chose white shingles - which had been popular in the years before - but we soon notices that other colors and types had become more popular. I do plan to look more closely around the neighborhood for what seems to look best.

Doing roof work is tough! Risks of falling off, very, very hot in the summer and very, very cold in the winter.

Topic Author
dm200

Post by dm200 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:53 am

Grt2bOutdoors wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:43 am
I had my old roof ripped off, then put down new 5/8 wood down, then tar paper, weather barrier, attic venting, lifetime shingles. I don’t have a large roof. Took 5 guys 2 hours to rip the old roof off which had two layers of old shingle off and the rest of the day to finish the roof. Started at 7:30 in the morning, cleaned up at 6pm, gone by 7pm. Roof came out great. I had it done in the last week of September.
Besides age, is there anything that you see that requires a roof change? Leaks, shingle curling or ripped off in certain locations or you are seeing the granules on shingle at the bottom of your gutter spout? I had a few shingles blow off during a rainstorm and I was seeing the granules of the roofing tile appear at the bottom of the gutter spout.
How much did all this cost?

I think we may need/want some other type of roof related work done at the same time.

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:56 am

dm200 wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:53 am
Grt2bOutdoors wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:43 am
How much did all this cost?

I think we may need/want some other type of roof related work done at the same time.
About $14-15k, 6 years ago. I thought it was pricey at the time, but last year had my gutters cleaned the fellow walked on the roof, came back down and said roof looked new. Volunteered it, I didn’t ask.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

Dave55

Post by Dave55 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:36 am

dm200 wrote:

If asphalt singles, ideally do it when temperatures are above 40F, that way the shingles will set/bond properly and less chance of shingles cracking or breaking while being nailed in. With 40 years you got fantastic life out of your previous roof job. If it were me, I would have a new roof done right away.

Dave

drawpoker

Post by drawpoker » Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:06 am

Dave55 wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:36 am

If asphalt singles, ideally do it when temperatures are above 40F, that way the shingles will set/bond properly and less chance of shingles cracking or breaking while being nailed in.....
That is correct, for asphalt shingles to cure properly you want moderate outside temps, not too hot or too cold.
The OP is in mid-Atlantic, like me. Had my last new roofing job done in month of late Sept. April or early May would be okay too.

criticalmass

Post by criticalmass » Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:23 am

Sandtrap wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:20 am
Roofers may work all year round, but shingles need heat (70 degree days) for the adhesive to seal properly. If wind blows before the shingles are hot enough to seal, inevitably dirt, dust, tree pollen, everything else than blows in the wind, will get under the shingles and stick to the adhesive. Then the adhesive will never stick to the next shingle.

Roofers can still install properly in the cold by applying extra low temperature adhesive to each and every shingle, but this requires a lot of extra work and time. Good luck getting a crew that actually does this. A lot of roofs fail early or leak because the shingles never sealed properly.

Best time to install a roof is in the spring when the temperatures are at least 60F and rising, or summer. A warm fall day will work too. If you are in a hot climate like Arizona or Florida, then this is not a concern. If you have a four season climate, it certainly is a concern.

wilked

Post by wilked » Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:42 am

I wouldn't wait too long, shingles do best with 75 F heat for at least a couple of hours to seal them up nice. If you get forced to do the job in the winter you may encounter issues

HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim » Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:43 am

the other thing to do is tear off the cover of the shingles bundle and look at the manufacturer's instructions for the number of nails and the nailing location and the instructions for valleys make sure your roofer follow those instructions. Don't let them tell you they know better.

fposte

Post by fposte » Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:47 am

Around here good roofers are pretty busy and their schedules are backed up, so it's usually a wait time of a month or two before they get to you. If it's like that where you are, factor that into the time.

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:51 am

Frank Grimes wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:36 am
RickBoglehead wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:34 am
Shallowpockets wrote:
Actually, it may not.

It's the hail damage that gets the insurance to replace it, not normal wear and tear
I wonder how long its going to take insurance companies to wise up to this nonsense. They really should be prorating it based on how old the roof is and how many years it was expected to last. I just wonder how much money they've lost by paying full replacement minus deductible for hail damaged roofs that were on year 22 out of 25. But as a consumer its nice, i just don't get hail in my area so I'm jealous.

OP, just go with any time where rain isn't likely, probably late spring before it gets hot. Having a roof being replaced during a storm sounds like a plot for a home owner horror movie.

daheld

Post by daheld » Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:11 pm

Going to have to agree with a lot of others here--a roof is not something to skimp on, particularly because you can reasonably expect to get 20-30 years out of good architectural shingles. If you figure you might spend $10,000-$15,000 on good, quality shingles and installation on an average to slightly larger than average home, what difference does saving even a few thousand bucks make? You're getting 30 years of use out of them.

Time of year should not matter that dramatically, particularly to a reputable contractor.

scubadiver

Post by scubadiver » Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:41 pm

Dave55 wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:36 am
dm200 wrote:

If asphalt singles, ideally do it when temperatures are above 40F, that way the shingles will set/bond properly and less chance of shingles cracking or breaking while being nailed in. With 40 years you got fantastic life out of your previous roof job. If it were me, I would have a new roof done right away.

Dave
We had our roof replaced on our VA home in late March 2013. I wouldn't done it any earlier in the season for the very reason Dave mentions above, which is also what our contractor (a friend of the family) advised as well. If you're planning to do it soon, I would try to get it done before Thanksgiving at the latest or, better yet, just defer till next spring.

sport

Post by sport » Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:00 pm

dm200 wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:52 am
Another mistake we made (probably not a big deal) was that we chose white shingles - which had been popular in the years before - but we soon notices that other colors and types had become more popular. I do plan to look more closely around the neighborhood for what seems to look best.
White shingles will reflect more sunlight in the summer, thus lowering your cost to run the AC.

When I looked at the State Farm website some time ago, they listed some hail resistant shingles. If you install any of the listed shingles, they reduce your HO insurance premiums.

drawpoker

Post by drawpoker » Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:36 pm

daheld wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:11 pm
--a roof is not something to skimp on, particularly because you can reasonably expect to get 20-30 years out of good architectural shingles.....
Actually, architectural shingles are for the looks, the snazzy appearance people like. That is why they cost more.

Architectural shingles are not going to last any longer than any quality , 25-year warranted regular asphalt shingles that are installed properly.

Lalamimi

Post by Lalamimi » Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:46 pm

40 years! Wow! We just had ours replaced in March (bought house in 2017 with original 1996 roof). Luckily, insurance covered it as to wind damage as it was over $25K. We went with GAF 50 year. (not that we will be around, but it looks great). Yes, find a reputable contractor, one who includes replacing boards, etc. And do it soon as the shingles need heat to seal into place. Oh, and be sure to let your insurance know, ours gave us a premium refund, even after they paid for most of the roof!).

TheOscarGuy

Post by TheOscarGuy » Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:50 pm

dm200 wrote:

We were told to perform the work in 'cooler' summer days, and they would give us 2-3 day notice when they will do it. We did it earlier this year in June..
We employed more costlier installers because they were well spoken for, and all our neighbors did work from them. It was on BHs that I read from my research that roof isn't something you find a "deal" on, but get it done from a good installers. I would be weary of someone advertising too much because a. they need to, to get work and b. it is going to be somehow paid by me, and it doesn't get directly towards hiring the best installers by the roofer.

Our roof was ~23 years old. I thought that was old. 40 years seems a lot!

TexasPE

Post by TexasPE » Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:50 pm

Don't forget any insurance requirements such as windstorm certification. I believe this is free, at least in Texas, if the roof is inspected as it is replaced.
At 20: I cared what everyone thought about me | At 40: I didn't give a damn what anyone thought of me | Now that I'm 60: I realize that no one was really thinking about me at all | Winston Churchill (?)

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:06 pm

I'd opt for a spring/summer install...then if there are any issues, you'll catch them before winter.

If they install in Fall, then snow flies, doubting any work can be done to repair until spring due to snow load and other factors. To me, not good.

Also good time to do attic insulation, vent chutes etc if not already.

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:46 pm

I feel your pain. We are in the process of getting a new roof as a result of extensive hail damage.
John C. Bogle - Two Fund Portfolio: Total Stock & Total Bond. "Simplicity is the master key to financial success."

dalbright

Post by dalbright » Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:02 pm

Go for an early spring install. Then the shingles have all summer to cure properly in case where you are the winter comes early and stays cold. Many leaks come from ice/snow issues than rain alone (if you're in that climate) so you will want a good seal by then. New flashing installed properly as well is critical, as well as a good ice/water shield product at the lower 3ft of the roof minimum as well as any valleys. IMO if they aren't using grace ice and water shield for this they are cutting corners elsewhere too, as this is by far the best ice and water shield product and truly is the gold standard. Shingle companies all seem to have had their issues over the years. I personally chose to install owens duration shingles as I felt like the nailing strip was a brilliant product and really held the nail to the shingles better without pullout. However if the good installer in your area uses something else i'm sure it will be fine too. I personally re-roofed my house this past spring and hope to never have to do it again for a long time.

Turbo29

Post by Turbo29 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:52 pm

barnaclebob wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:51 am
[

I wonder how long its going to take insurance companies to wise up to this nonsense. They really should be prorating it based on how old the roof is and how many years it was expected to last. I just wonder how much money they've lost by paying full replacement minus deductible for hail damaged roofs that were on year 22 out of 25. But as a consumer its nice, i just don't get hail in my area so I'm jealous.

OP, just go with any time where rain isn't likely, probably late spring before it gets hot. Having a roof being replaced during a storm sounds like a plot for a home owner horror movie.
After the Phoenix hailstorm of 2010, which was the insurance industry's most costly disaster that year, many companies did change their policy coverage to adjust for the age of the roof. At least they did in Arizona.

There were square miles of whole neighborhoods that not only got roofs replaced that year but also air conditioners. In some older neighborhoods, what are called "package air conditioner units" (compressor, and air handler/evaporator all in one roof mounted unit; sometimes with heat) were on all of the houses and were also destroyed by the hail.

Topic Author
dm200

Post by dm200 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:25 am

dalbright wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:02 pm
Go for an early spring install. Then the shingles have all summer to cure properly in case where you are the winter comes early and stays cold. Many leaks come from ice/snow issues than rain alone (if you're in that climate) so you will want a good seal by then. New flashing installed properly as well is critical, as well as a good ice/water shield product at the lower 3ft of the roof minimum as well as any valleys. IMO if they aren't using grace ice and water shield for this they are cutting corners elsewhere too, as this is by far the best ice and water shield product and truly is the gold standard. Shingle companies all seem to have had their issues over the years. I personally chose to install owens duration shingles as I felt like the nailing strip was a brilliant product and really held the nail to the shingles better without pullout. However if the good installer in your area uses something else i'm sure it will be fine too. I personally re-roofed my house this past spring and hope to never have to do it again for a long time.
Thanks.

Certainly makes a lot of sense...

Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:34 pm

we had our roof done 2 years ago, GAF certified materials 50 year warranty, was done in one day cost about $8K