Paying United Health Care Dental with credit card?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
jeffyscott

Paying United Health Care Dental with credit card?

Post by jeffyscott » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:27 am

Is there anyone who happens to pay for a United Health Care dental plan with a credit card? This is for dental that is sold under the name UnitedHealthOne (site also mentions "Golden Rule"), here: https://www.uhone.com/insurance/dental

I am trying to determine if they would actually charge this as a cash advance, because their payment page for credit cards has an strange note that says: Some card issuers/financial institutions charge cash advance fees on insurance payments.

I have been trying to find out why they have this comment, since it is up to the merchant to put the charge through as a charge or cash advance as Citi confirmed to me. I called but then was subsequently not sure that I had asked the question the right way, because the answer that I got: "we do not charge cash advance fees". After thinking about it I realized that could actually mean it's a cash advance but UHC is not charging the fee, your credit card company is.

Here is a screen shot, of the applicable part of the credit card entry page:
Time is your friend; impulse is your enemy. - John C. Bogle

Silk McCue

Re: Paying United Health Care Dental with credit card?

Post by Silk McCue » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:28 am

The statement "Some card issuers/financial institutions charge cash advance fees on insurance payments." is crystal clear in terms of who United Health Care Dental is saying who might charge the fee. I have never had any card charged a cash advance fee for using it for any purchase including Homeowners and Auto insurance. What you are seeing is just a cover your butt message. I would not hesitate to make the charge.

Cheers

batpot

Post by batpot » Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:03 pm

My gas utility had a similar warning. Never had an additional fee added.

kaneohe

Post by kaneohe » Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:18 pm

Sounds like there are only 2 possibilities: you've asked 1. Just ask the other. I understand your concern......I was worried about
paying taxes w/ a cc would be coded as a cash advance......I only asked the pay1040 company; never thought of asking the cc company.
Fortunately it was a purchase. Like you,I would have thought that the coding of cash advance or not was the decision of the person
allowing the charge, not the cc company. Better to be cautious tho.

I've paid insurance payments w/ cc, including Delta Dental and everything has been fine.

The only thing I've run across is paying an exit fee from Costa Rica is charged as a cash advance so I used a debit card instead.
Fortunately somehow I learned that beforehand from some internet thing.

dbr

Post by dbr » Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:57 pm

I have never experienced paying an insurance or a tax bill by credit card and having it charged as a cash advance.

Topic Author
jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:22 pm

Thanks for the comments.

After looking at some credit card terms, I think what they are warning about is that credit card companies do have things that they call "cash equivalents", where the card company would treat a transaction as a cash advance. The ones I looked at mention things like traveler's checks, money orders, gaming chips, lottery tickets.

I would be surprised to see one that said insurance premiums are a cash equivalent or the utility bill that someone mentioned as having a similar warning, though. They are supposed to be giving me a call back by tomorrow, so I may as well still wait for that final confirmation at this point, even though it now seems pretty clear that it won't be an issue.
Time is your friend; impulse is your enemy. - John C. Bogle

mkalman

Post by mkalman » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:04 pm

I always call or online message the bank and get cash advance limit lowered to $0 (or disallow cash advance). Sometimes it can only be lowered to $50 or $100 depending on the card and bank.

This is not fool proof (the bank can always approve transactions above your limit as a “courtesy”) but it helps a lot in terms of avoiding cash advance fees. The transactions are more likely to just be declined

fru-gal

Post by fru-gal » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:19 am

dbr wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:57 pm
I have never experienced paying an insurance or a tax bill by credit card and having it charged as a cash advance.
My insurance works fine this way, but my town charges for paying taxes by credit card. More exactly, the processing company who runs that part of the town finances charges a hefty fee if you pay by credit card. If I remember correctly, they even charge for direct removal from a checking account, so I mail a check.

jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:22 am

I pay all of my medical/dental insurance from United Healthcare by credit card without additional charges. It has worked now for six years.