SEP is Maxed... Now what???

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
ricks1433

SEP is Maxed... Now what???

Post by ricks1433 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:30 am

Business: Sole proprietor LLC with no employees
Marital Status: Married
State: CA
Spouse is stay home mom but I could probably find her a job in the biz doing office work if needed for her 401k (if that’s an option?)
————————————————

Hi All,

I'm a small business owner and this year has been fairly good for me. My SEP IRA is now maxed at $56K. I also put $7K into an HSA (will be using for retirement) and have been putting $2k per month into a taxable investment account (betterment). <--- yes I know it's probably not recommended here but I really like the autopilot of it.

I've also been paying down my mortgage (current rate is 3.75%) with an extra $2K per month. At current pay-down rate it will be paid off in 12 years.

On top of the above, I have a 6 month emergency fund established.

So my question is, are there any other pre-tax investments I can make? I'm assuming no but thought I'd ask. If I could, I'd throw $100k this year into a SEP!

I'm assuming no other tax deferred investment is available because of my income so I'm probably going to bump my monthly taxable investment up to $3k. Definitely open to other thoughts and suggestions on what I can do with my extra monthly income.
Last edited by ricks1433 on Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Dottie57

Re: SEP is Maxed... Now what???

Post by Dottie57 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:51 am

ricks1433 wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:30 am
Hi All,

I'm a small business owner and this year has been fairly good for me. My SEP IRA is now maxed at $56K. I also put $7K into an HSA (will be using for retirement) and have been putting $2k per month into a taxable investment account (betterment). <--- yes I know it's probably not recommended here but I really like the autopilot of it.

I've also been paying down my mortgage (current rate is 3.75%) with an extra $2K per month. At current pay-down rate it will be paid off in 12 years.

So my question is, are there any other pre-tax investments I can make? I'm assuming no but thought I'd ask. If I could, I'd throw $100k this year into a SEP!

I'm assuming no other tax deferred investment is available because of my income so I'm probably going to bump my monthly taxable investment up to $3k. Definitely open to other thoughts and suggestions on what I can do with my extra monthly income.
Agree that taxable is probably best. You could buy I-bonds - tax deferred earnings not pretax.

Ferdinand2014

Post by Ferdinand2014 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:07 am

ricks1433 wrote:
Hi All,

Married? Spouse have option for IRA/401k/403b?
“You only find out who is swimming naked when the tide goes out.“ — Warren Buffett

aristotelian

Post by aristotelian » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:50 am

Can you purchase any capital items for the business?

What kind of health insurance do you have? HSA could be an option.

You should do backdoor Roth if you aren't already.

Spirit Rider

Post by Spirit Rider » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:22 am

aristotelian wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:50 am
A Backdoor Roth is not practical with SEP IRA contributions of $56K.

The real question is; "why are you using a SEP IRA and not a one-participant 401k?", That would facilitate Backdoor Roths.

Do you have eligible non-(owner/spouse) employees?

What is your age?

aristotelian

Post by aristotelian » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:55 am

Spirit Rider wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:22 am
aristotelian wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:50 am
A Backdoor Roth is not practical with SEP IRA contributions of $56K.

The real question is; "why are you using a SEP IRA and not a one-participant 401k?", That would facilitate Backdoor Roths.

Do you have eligible non-(owner/spouse) employees?

What is your age?
Good catch. He would need to do a Solo 401k that allows rollovers. I believe Schwab can do this.

White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:21 am

ricks1433 wrote:
Hi All,

Assuming no employees, you probably should stop using a SEP and get an individual 401(k) so you can do a personal Backdoor Roth IRA each year. You can also do a spousal Backdoor roth IRA if married. You can also do a personal defined benefit/cash balance plan.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course

Topic Author
ricks1433

Post by ricks1433 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:15 pm

Thanks for all the questions. I’ve updated the original post with more details about me. Not familiar with backdoor Roth.

zlandar

Post by zlandar » Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:28 pm

If your future income allows you to put in $100k+ away for the foreseeable future you could look into a cash balance plan. At age 48 you could put in $143k this year into the plan:

https://www.cashbalancedesign.com/resou ... on-limits/

The money is tax-deferred until the plan is dissolved (i.e. you sell your business). At that point you can roll the money into an IRA.

There are admin costs associated with the plan which are ~$10k/year. It's not as flexible as a 401k or SEP in terms of letting you change your contribution amounts so your income needs to be fairly stable. The company I work for uses Kravitz and there are other companies offering this service.