checking Amazon Store Card billings

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
SpideyIndexer

checking Amazon Store Card billings

Post by SpideyIndexer » Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:13 pm

I feel stupid bringing this up, but is seems rather complicated to check the accuracy of the bills for my Amazon Store credit card. Can one easily find the debits on Amazon's sites?

HAF-VA

Re: checking Amazon Store Card billings

Post by HAF-VA » Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:16 pm

WWW.Amazon.com/storecard
Then log in. This will allow you to see transactions, statements, etc. Follow the link for log into synchronycredit. If you haven’t logged in before choose register, otherwise log in.

JohnFiscal

Post by JohnFiscal » Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:25 pm

Just got this for my wife a couple days ago: Chase Amazon Visa card. We've not received any documentation yet (other than confirmation email and the $70 Amazon credit), not even the card number or account number.

Am I correct in assuming that all the charges and statements, etc, are going to show up in her Chase log-in?

thank you

HAF-VA wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:16 pm
WWW.Amazon.com/storecard
Then log in. This will allow you to see transactions, statements, etc. Follow the link for log into synchronycredit. If you haven’t logged in before choose register, otherwise log in.

Topic Author
SpideyIndexer

Post by SpideyIndexer » Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:34 pm

Thanks for the above. But I want to "balance" things, in other words compare what Amazon billing Synchrony to what I ordered and expected to be charged. The way Amazon presents my orders is somewhat confusing. Orders for several items show up as a total, but then when I drill down the order is broken up into suborders. And some of the items are returned for credit. It's very unclear when Amazon debits the Synchrony card: when they ship or when the order is received. If an item is returned, when do they credit the Synchrony card?

Trying a balance a previous bill, I found several debits that matched some of my order totals, and also other debits that were different from my order totals. This is quite different from purchases I make at brick and mortar stores using their store cards or a Visa or Master Card. In these cases, I have paper receipts which (so far) match the transactions which appear on my bills.

Amazon was not very helpful when I called them about this.

Reamus294

Post by Reamus294 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:03 pm

I know what you mean. I have the Prime Visa through Chase and it only lists "Amazon" in Chase. So you have to go through Amazon and click on each item to view the invoice, which is slow. A list format of charges with a description and thumbnail images would be ideal. This is probably a sign I buy too much from Amazon.

Katietsu

Post by Katietsu » Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:20 pm

Have you tried going to your Amazon account then to Orders. Click on the an order that is already complete. Then choose View Invoice. The payment information is at the bottom of the invoice. I think this should be the equivalent of the paper receipt at the store. I do not know if there is an easier way.

As far as when returns get credited, it can happen at different times, in my experience. I have been credited as soon as I request a return, after I dropped off the item for return and sometimes after they receive the item back.

Topic Author
SpideyIndexer

Post by SpideyIndexer » Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:20 pm

Thanks for the tip about the "View Invoice." That does clearly show what the cc is billed!

sk2101

Post by sk2101 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:28 pm

It can get very confusing as Amazon sometimes splits orders into multiple charges, charging the card at different times when items ship.

What works for me is that one card used exclusively for Amazon (Chase Prime) and I have set alerts at $1. So every time there is a charge on the card I get an alert on my phone and since the order is still fresh in my mind I can quickly tell whether its a valid charge or not.

I also do this with all my other cards in order to prevent fraud.

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:32 pm

JohnFiscal wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:25 pm
Just got this for my wife a couple days ago: Chase Amazon Visa card. We've not received any documentation yet (other than confirmation email and the $70 Amazon credit), not even the card number or account number.

Am I correct in assuming that all the charges and statements, etc, are going to show up in her Chase log-in?

thank you

HAF-VA wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:16 pm
WWW.Amazon.com/storecard
You're confused.

The subject of the thread is the Amazon Prime Store Card. This is issued by Synchrony. https://www.amazon.com/iss/credit/storecardmember

The Amazon Visa Prime Rewards Visa Card is issued by Chase. https://www.amazon.com/iss/credit/rewardscardmember

In my experience, new credit cards do not "appear" on an existing login, but that can vary by bank. Once you get the card, you have to activate it. Then, you can usually login to a bank's site, in this case Chase, and add the card to your current login. Of course your wife's card(s) will be on her login, and your's will be on your login. I can see multiple Citi cards on one login.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

xb7

Post by xb7 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:11 pm

I went through this, and found it a PITA --- these days the order screen shows less info than it used to, and drilling down to the invoice for each order is tedious if you buy more than a few things in a given month.

If you've purchased quite a few things from Amazon in a given month, what I suggest is to go to "accounts & lists", then select "your account". From the resulting screen on the left side, click on "Download Order Reports". Pick a start and end date that you're sure will include all the orders on your current credit card bill. You'll get a .csv file ("comma separated values") that spreadsheet software such as excel can load.

What I do from there is spend a moment or two removing and resizing columns a little, but the result is that I have a spreadsheet with hopefully all of the orders for the given period. If you then optionally take the pdf version of your credit card bill you can perhaps even select and copy order numbers to search by, but I don't have so many orders that I bother with that. Still, having the actual order number on the spreadsheet for each item can resolve some doubts.

Amazon does NOT make it easy to check item-by-item to see what any given credit card bill line item is for. Digital items can be even worse. And as Amazon sells a wider range of services, the more you pay for, the more confusing I think it can be --- for example, it took me a long time to remember that a particular arcane monthly charge of $3.99 is for the digital Washington Post subscription.

Best of luck with this!

zonacat

Post by zonacat » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:14 pm

You can get an order history download from Amazon. You can sort by order number and it should tie out to credit card statement in most instances - I found that if you have a coupon it won’t match exactly.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer ... =201983330