NY Times $1 per week digital

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Rob5TCP

NY Times $1 per week digital

Post by Rob5TCP »

This has appeared before, but for those inclined this is a good deal.
I've heard of lower offers down to $30, but for the $20 difference I am ok with it.
At the end of a year it jumps to $15 per month.

https://myaccount.nytimes.com/get-start ... LXL#signup

I am not sure if this does or does not include the crossword puzzle (important to some).
go_mets

Re: NY Times $1 per week digital

Post by go_mets »

Thanks for the heads-up.

If my part-time job goes through, I am signing up.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

This is a "no politics" forum. I removed an off-topic post and a reply. As a reminder, see: Politics and Religion
In order to avoid the inevitable frictions that arise from these topics, political or religious posts and comments are prohibited.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
mfswatz9

Post by mfswatz9 »

I got this deal several months ago, and no, it does not include the crossword puzzle.
Geno

Post by Geno »

The Dead Fish Wrapper
If you are successful, you will win some false friends and some true enemies; Succeed anyway.
Java11

Post by Java11 »

Hard pass
bengal22

Post by bengal22 »

Too expensive for me.
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley
Davinci

Post by Davinci »

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/17/your ... guard.html

"The cultists call themselves the Bogleheads, a group of like-minded investors who consider Mr. Bogle the spiritual leader of their financial lives.
No thank you! I would pass even if it was free, not worth my time to read this. It is better to read books or Bogleheads.org to to enlighten and develop ones mind and spirit.
" Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" Leonardo Da Vinci.
AlphaLess

Post by AlphaLess »

Fantastic deal.

I am getting a bunch of these for $1 or similar prices.
I don't carry a signature because people are easily offended.
phantom0308

Post by phantom0308 »

You can get it (and wsj) free with Google One (if you pay for cloud storage for example) for 6 months. Might keep nytimes, haven’t been impressed with wsj so far.
RightGuard

Post by RightGuard »

I can't line the bird cage with a digital subscription.
southerndoc

Post by southerndoc »

Thanks for posting this! I literally just canceled my subscription tonight because it was $25/month. $4/month is worth it, $25/month isn't.
phantom0308

Post by phantom0308 »

Geno wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:44 pm The Dead Fish Wrapper
ITT posters signaling how much they dislike something on sale.
MoonOrb

Post by MoonOrb »

I got this deal. If you don't read the NYT I guess you just post in this thread to let everyone know you disapprove? But for readers of it, it's a very good deal.

It does not cover crosswords. Also, it does not cover most of the cooking section if that matters to you a lot.
truenorth418

Post by truenorth418 »

"NY Times $1 per week digital"?

No, sorry, you'd have to pay me a lot more than $1 per week.
scotthal

Post by scotthal »

Bought in to this - figure a 'free press' still has to cover it's bills. Have donated to theguardian & huffington; rarely read more than a couple of nytimes articles per day (freebie). That said, I respect their reporting, & wanted to keep 'em solvent.
Growtch, grinch; paranoid contrarian
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

Or you can just clear your browsing history or view in incognito mode.
AerialWombat

Post by AerialWombat »

deleted
Last edited by AerialWombat on Fri Feb 04, 2022 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
This post is a work of fiction. Any similarity to real financial advice is purely coincidental.
201BadBoy

Post by 201BadBoy »

Every so often, SlickDeals has a sale on Economist for a $1/issue (https://slickdeals.net/f/12290419-1-yea ... -51-issues). I'm a NYT subscriber, but I also really like the weekly Economist every weekend. Nice to get a fresh/outside perspective, and the weekly obit is among the best writing anywhere, bar none (IMO).
TinyTim

Post by TinyTim »

I'm a schoolteacher and get the NY Times digital for $3.99 every two weeks for as long as I am teaching.
All Seasons

Post by All Seasons »

I read the newspaper for free every day at my local library.

Even cheaper than $1! :D
sambb

Post by sambb »

news is free on the internet from many sources, so thats a way to save money.
Invest4lt

Post by Invest4lt »

Thanks for posting. IMHO well worth $1.00 a week to support what I read.
BTW, you can add the crosswords for .38 per week (19.97 annual prepaid). Another good deal.
"People sometimes fail to live because they are always preparing to live." - Alan Watts
Topic Author
Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP »

I find the $1 a week more than worth it. When it increases 4x next year; I won't jump so quickly.
I also got a great deal on the WSJ (from a site found on here).

I also subscribe to Wired (which I frequently find useful articles) $5 per year.
Consumer reports ($19 per year) and a few other online mags.
Used to be $5 per issue when it came out.
chazas

Post by chazas »

Great find! I've been wanting to resubscribe but the normal pricing wasn't worth it to me. Thanks.

Post by 123 »

Rob5TCP wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:33 am This has appeared before, but for those inclined this is a good deal.
I've heard of lower offers down to $30, but for the $20 difference I am ok with it.

I am not sure if this does or does not include the crossword puzzle (important to some).
THIS IS A NEW POST TO AN OLDER THREAD

We got the $30 a year digital price for the NY Times on-line as part of a online special they ran over Labor Day in 2018. When we signed up it said that at the end of the one year it would renew at the same price. I had my doubts about that since these kinds of deals normally bump you up to a higher regular price after the introductory deal. To my surprise when renewal time came around in September 2019 we got the same $30 price for the following year.

I have seen the $30 a year price offered around some other holidays so folks might want to be on the lookout for it.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal »

I'd get the WSJ instead. NYTimes doesn't really qualify as journalism.
mfswatz9

Post by mfswatz9 »

My $1/week subscription just ran out and I wasn't willing to pay more, but on the chat room when I tried to cancel, the rep said I could get it for the same price ($1/week) for another year. And then, the $19.95 deal for 1 year of the Crossword. I am addicted to the Spelling Bee every day so I'm a happy camper. :D
TallBoy29er

Post by TallBoy29er »

sunny_socal wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:55 pm I'd get the WSJ instead. NYTimes doesn't really qualify as journalism.
So Ferraris, re-runs, and tarantulas are journalism (7:13 pm ET, WSJ home page..."Want to Sit in This Ultra-Rare Ferrari? Just Ask", "Deja View: The Psychology Behind 'Rewatch'", "Don't be Alarmed by Armies of Tarantulas. They're Just Looking for Love."), but "U.S.-Allied Kurdish Militia Says It Will Attack if Turkish Forces Enter Syria" is not?

I get your angle, but I think some self-reflection would cast doubt on your statement.
dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron »

Feeling grateful that my employer has purchased an institutional digital subscription to both the NYT and WSJ. Anyone with an email address associated with my .edu employer (whether faculty, staff, or student) gets free digital access to both those newspapers.

I do pay $5 per month for a personal Washington Post subscription. That´s worth it to me, especially since it is my hometown paper. (I grew up in DC.) I think that *might* be an educator discount, but not sure. If you have an email address that is .edu, .gov, or .org, it is worth checking whether there are discounts available to you.

I also pay for full-price digital subscriptions to two local papers in my current location in Upstate NY. ($1 per week for one and $10 per month for the other.) I feel it is worth supporting quality local journalism to keep the community aware of issues confronting us.
Maverick3320

Post by Maverick3320 »

Still not worth it. 10 years ago, maybe.
grettman

Post by grettman »

I appreciate people passing info on deals even if it is something I’m not interested in. I find many deals this way. Thanks for sharing!
Rainier

Post by Rainier »

I did this a few months ago.

Good luck trying to cancel. Can't do it online, requires a phone call to multiple different departments and hard sells to keep you on.
ladycat

Post by ladycat »

dodecahedron wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:23 pm Feeling grateful that my employer has purchased an institutional digital subscription to both the NYT and WSJ. Anyone with an email address associated with my .edu employer (whether faculty, staff, or student) gets free digital access to both those newspapers.

I do pay $5 per month for a personal Washington Post subscription. That´s worth it to me, especially since it is my hometown paper. (I grew up in DC.) I think that *might* be an educator discount, but not sure. If you have an email address that is .edu, .gov, or .org, it is worth checking whether there are discounts available to you.

I also pay for full-price digital subscriptions to two local papers in my current location in Upstate NY. ($1 per week for one and $10 per month for the other.) I feel it is worth supporting quality local journalism to keep the community aware of issues confronting us.
Thanks for posting. I just signed up for a free WaPo digital subscription using my work address.
wm631

Post by wm631 »

Rob5TCP wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:33 am This has appeared before, but for those inclined this is a good deal.

I am not sure if this does or does not include the crossword puzzle (importa nt to some).
No. I'll try to keep my political opinion out of what's happened to the N.Y.T. - strictly from the financial angle.

20 years mail subscription to the weekly Sunday Times Book Review. Around 2010 it was less than $100 a year. Skyrocketed to over $200 a year by 2017. As others have noted here, simply contacting the subscription dept. for address changes over the years was very difficult - including trying to do it on-line as recently as 2016. Cancelling the subscription - same difficulties. They may - or may not - answer the phone. And, you can't cancel otherwise. Be warned.

There's many other, even free, options in today's electronic world. The Old Gray Lady ain't what it was. Look elsewhere.
LifeIsGood

Post by LifeIsGood »

Can you elaborate on how to do this? I couldn't find any details.
phantom0308 wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:40 am You can get it (and wsj) free with Google One (if you pay for cloud storage for example) for 6 months. Might keep nytimes, haven’t been impressed with wsj so far.
RJC

Post by RJC »

I'm currently at $2/week. Are there promotions for $1/week anywhere?

Thanks.
Silence Dogood

Post by Silence Dogood »

Broken Man 1999 wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:47 pm I am enjoying a year-long print subscription to The Economist for $49 thanks to a heads-up post by a forum member.
Please let me know if that deal is ever offered again!
22twain

Post by 22twain »

Rainier wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:34 pm Good luck trying to cancel. Can't do it online, requires a phone call to multiple different departments and hard sells to keep you on.
According to this site you can do it using online chat when logged into your account; also by e-mail.

https://www.wikihow.com/Cancel-Your-New ... bscription (last updated 9/6/19 for whatever that's worth)

I'm not a subscriber myself. I've been thinking of doing it, but have been put off by references to the difficulty in unsubscribing.
Meet my pet, Peeve, who loves to convert non-acronyms into acronyms: FED, ROTH, CASH, IVY, ...
Oldschool

Post by Oldschool »

Not worth a dollar
ivk5

Post by ivk5 »

Oldschool wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:46 pm Not worth a dollar
It seems a lot of posters insist on adding these sort of “contributions” to this thread. If the deal doesn’t interest you, nobody’s making you read the thread. Are we not more mature than this? It’s a surprising departure from the ordinary level of discourse on BH which tends to be more sophisticated and at least constructive.

I’m glad for the heads up about the deal, and don’t need the BH Thought Police telling me what to think about what I choose to read or slinging playground insults.

Spare us the invective please!
vested1

Post by vested1 »

ivk5 wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:00 am
Oldschool wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:46 pm Not worth a dollar
It seems a lot of posters insist on adding these sort of “contributions” to this thread. If the deal doesn’t interest you, nobody’s making you read the thread. Are we not more mature than this? It’s a surprising departure from the ordinary level of discourse on BH which tends to be more sophisticated and at least constructive.

I’m glad for the heads up about the deal, and don’t need the BH Thought Police telling me what to think about what I choose to read or slinging playground insults.

Spare us the invective please!
+ infinity