Social Security Card as Identification for Real ID

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Turbo29

Re: Social Security Card as Identification for Real ID

Post by Turbo29 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:56 pm

drawpoker wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:57 pm
[
Laminating SS card is against the law! The offenders should be punished severely! There is no excuse for such behavior, disregard for decency, the moral decay.

Makes me feel terrible just to think about it :P :P :P :P
There was no such restriction when I got mine 45 years ago. So I laminated it. Don't know if they will accept it for a Real ID as I haven't tried (have a passport).

In Arizona the requirements are:

Bring One Document: Proof of Identity (Birth certificate; U.S. Passport; Passport Card)
If you need a certified copy of an Arizona birth certificate, the Arizona Department of Health Services now accepts online orders (link is external) with expedited processing.
Bring One Document: Proof of Social Security Number (Social Security card; W-2 form)
To order a replacement Social Security card visit the Social Security Administration website (link is external) and establish an account.
Bring Two Documents: Proof of Arizona Residency– two printed documents with your current Arizona residential address (Utility bills; Credit Card / Bank statements; insurance policy)
Note: If your current legal name is different from the one shown on a document, you must show legal proof of name change, such as a marriage certificate, divorce decree or court order.

As I don't receive any mailed bank statements or utility bills I am wondering if they will accept ones I print out myself.

PatrickA5

Post by PatrickA5 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:01 pm

My state still hasn't figured out how to do the Real ID thing. They got another extension until Oct of next year which I think is the end of the extensions being granted. The state says they'll be compliant by next Summer, but they've been saying that since 2010. For some reason, my state actually had a law passed in 2008 that prohibited any state money being used for the purposes of complying with the Real ID law. Something about "Big Brother" being involved too much in our lives. Eventually, they got rid of the stupid law after being told that we wouldn't be allowed on airplanes.

Ron

Post by Ron » Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:43 pm

Steelersfan wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:02 pm
clip651 wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:27 pm
For those that need a replacement social security card, it can be requested online in many states:

https://www.ssa.gov/myaccount/replacement-card.html

This may be helpful if your card is lost, old, laminated, or for whatever other reason deemed unacceptable by the folks checking documents for Real ID.
I tried multiple times to order a replacement online and could never get the system to accept whatever I put in. That's why I had to visit my local SS office. Hopefully others will have been luck. Or more skill.

The state I currently live in and the one where I got my original SS card are both on the eligible list.
My state was on the list but it would not accept my request. When I went to the SS office to get a replacement, I found out that my card (issued in 1964, when I was 16) was not eligible for replacement due to its age. Apparently, they needed additional "proof" to issue a replacement (I used my passport). Back in 1964 they did not check to see if I was a US citizen by me supplying a U.S. birth certificate or a U.S. passport as they do today...

After they process my card replacement, I'll be able to use the MySS site to request a replacement card, if needed. Probably the next time it will be needed will be by my wife after my passing :twisted: ...

- Ron

dbr

Post by dbr » Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:44 pm

Everyone should have a passport as a backup for ID issues when/if they arise. It won't be perfect, but it is one more base covered that can be very handy. Also get the passport card as photo ID. In fact people won't need a Real ID drivers license to get into an airport if they have a passport card.

I suspect that eventually one might need Real ID just to drive a car, though.

bluebolt

Post by bluebolt » Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:54 pm

Norton750 wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:26 pm
A few more gotchas that I noted (in Massachusetts):

- They won't accept a laminated SS card (I had considered laminating mine at one point to preserve it).

- Some proof of address documents needed to be 90 days old or less. This requirement was not spelled out on all of the different lists I saw for what was needed in MA.

- And as others have noted, many documents no longer print your entire SS #.

The good news is that AAA members in MA can get it done at an AAA office. Since there were news stories about the registry back-ups, I chose this route. The clerk there estimated that close to half of the people he saw did not have a complete set of documents, for various reasons.
The mass.gov site seems to be pretty clear about timing requirements. Is there something on here that's not correct or the time limit isn't specified:
https://www.mass.gov/guides/massachuset ... documents-

frcabot

Post by frcabot » Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:53 pm

jebmke wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:30 pm
Lexi wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:22 pm
If you have a passport, why not just get a passport card to use as your Real ID?
One government agency to deal with.
I suppose you can do that. Having your DL certified takes minutes. I was just into our local MV location this last Thursday and I was in and out in under 10 minutes.
How I envy you. I live in a big city in CA. A visit to the DMV takes 2+ hours. You can make an appointment 3-4 months out, and it still takes over an hour.
Last edited by frcabot on Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lexi

Post by Lexi » Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:27 pm

frcabot wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:53 pm
jebmke wrote:
Lexi wrote:
If you have a passport, why not just get a passport card to use as your Real ID?
I suppose you can do that. Having your DL certified takes minutes. I was just into our local MV location this last Thursday and I was in and out in under 10 minutes.
How I envy you. I live in a big state in CA. A visit to the DMV takes 2+ hours. You can make an appointment 3-4 months out, and it still takes over an hour.
For several years I read stories about RealID being required but my state did not have its act together. When I renewed my passport I asked for both a passport book and a passport card. No documents were needed beyond what they already had. The fee was higher but there is also an extra fee for a RealID driver’s license. Is there any reason to have a RealID DL if you already have a passport card?

frcabot

Post by frcabot » Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:34 pm

Lexi wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:27 pm
frcabot wrote:
jebmke wrote:
Lexi wrote:
How I envy you. I live in a big state in CA. A visit to the DMV takes 2+ hours. You can make an appointment 3-4 months out, and it still takes over an hour.
For several years I read stories about RealID being required but my state did not have its act together. When I renewed my passport I asked for both a passport book and a passport card. No documents were needed beyond what they already had. The fee was higher but there is also an extra fee for a RealID driver’s license. Is there any reason to have a RealID DL if you already have a passport card?
No, as long as you carry your passport card every time you fly or want to visit a restricted federal facility.

stan1

Post by stan1 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:39 pm

frcabot wrote:
jebmke wrote:
Lexi wrote:
How I envy you. I live in a big city in CA. A visit to the DMV takes 2+ hours. You can make an appointment 3-4 months out, and it still takes over an hour.
You can sometimes get next day appointments (or at least next week appointments) in rural areas of CA if you don't mind driving for 2 hours instead of standing in line most of the day.

SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy » Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:48 pm

PatrickA5 wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:01 pm
My state still hasn't figured out how to do the Real ID thing. They got another extension until Oct of next year which I think is the end of the extensions being granted. The state says they'll be compliant by next Summer, but they've been saying that since 2010. For some reason, my state actually had a law passed in 2008 that prohibited any state money being used for the purposes of complying with the Real ID law. Something about "Big Brother" being involved too much in our lives. Eventually, they got rid of the stupid law after being told that we wouldn't be allowed on airplanes.
Tease! Which state?

drawpoker

Post by drawpoker » Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:54 pm

stan1 wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:39 pm
You can sometimes get next day appointments (or at least next week appointments) in rural areas of CA if you don't mind driving for 2 hours instead of standing in line most of the day.
No wonder the state of Calif is busted fiscally. :wink:

Instead of the expense of maintaining offices in rural parts of the state, don't you have the roving, mobile van that serves people in the sticks? Like we do in the Old LIne state?

I would eat dirt before I would drive 35 miles to the closest MVA office. The mobile service can perform most any type of transaction done in a branch office. Except certain complicated things, usually involving CDL or registration issues.

Post by 808 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:52 am

SrGrumpy wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:48 pm
PatrickA5 wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:01 pm
Tease! Which state?
See map below. Probably Oregon, Oklahoma or New Jersey.
https://www.dhs.gov/real-id

vested1

Post by vested1 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:39 am

drawpoker wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:54 pm
stan1 wrote:

Instead of the expense of maintaining offices in rural parts of the state, don't you have the roving, mobile van that serves people in the sticks? Like we do in the Old LIne state?

I would eat dirt before I would drive 35 miles to the closest MVA office. The mobile service can perform most any type of transaction done in a branch office. Except certain complicated things, usually involving CDL or registration issues.
Not sure if this is tongue in cheek (referencing the emoji) or simply a convenient talking point from a decade ago, but repeating this point only perpetuates it. CA has had a budget surplus for some time, as well as providing more than their share of support for their residents and those of other States in the form of federal taxation amounts.

https://lao.ca.gov/LAOEconTax/Article/Detail/390 (article from June 2019)

https://wallethub.com/edu/states-most-l ... ment/2700/ (ranks 35th in federal assistance)

Having spent my entire life in California until recently I tire of it being a target for the uninformed. Again, not sure if you qualify as one of them. As for the wait at the CA DMV, as stated earlier, it's ridiculous, even with an appointment, and even in a less populated location like where I used to live. Hiring some additional agents would solve this problem. Exhibiting a bit of empathy at the frustration of frazzled DMV agents over something they have no control over can provide a more satisfying experience.

McDougal

Post by McDougal » Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:55 am

Oh boy. I had never heard of Real ID (or maybe I just didn't pay attention). After reading this thread, the interwebs directed me to the link oldcomputerguy provided upthread. Saw that there are symbols on official Real ID documents. I took out my DL from Georgia and lo and behold, it is already compliant. Full disclosure it was issued in 2018 upon renewal.

drawpoker

Post by drawpoker » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:58 am

vested1 wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:39 am
drawpoker wrote:

Not sure if this is tongue in cheek (referencing the emoji) or simply a convenient talking point from a decade ago, but repeating this point only perpetuates it. CA has had a budget surplus for some time, as well as providing more than their share of support for their residents and those of other States in the form of federal taxation amounts.......
Having spent my entire life in California until recently I tire of it being a target for the uninformed.........
Sorry, my apologies, you are correct on that point.

I shoulda said: no wonder the residents of Calif are busted fiscally.
Under the heavy tax burdens they shoulder :wink:

Still didn't answer my :?: Calif just has branch offices for DMV matters, no mobile vans that serve the outlying areas? As a convenience for its taxpayers?

oldcomputerguy
Location: In the middle of five acres of woods in East Tennessee

Post by oldcomputerguy » Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:32 pm

frcabot wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:34 pm
Lexi wrote:
frcabot wrote:
jebmke wrote:
Lexi wrote:
No, as long as you carry your passport card every time you fly or want to visit a restricted federal facility.
Just a (possibly tangential) side note: while the passport card can be used in place of a passport for flying domestically, it cannot be used so for re-entering the United States by air. For that you still need your passport.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel ... /card.html
"I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people; and if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you." (Aaron Sorkin)

frcabot

Post by frcabot » Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:46 pm

oldcomputerguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:32 pm
frcabot wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:34 pm
Lexi wrote:
frcabot wrote:
jebmke wrote:

Just a (possibly tangential) side note: while the passport card can be used in place of a passport for flying domestically, it cannot be used so for re-entering the United States by air. For that you still need your passport.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel ... /card.html
Exactly right, I meant using the card to fly domestically in lieu of a DL.

SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy » Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:09 pm

drawpoker wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:58 am
Still didn't answer my :?: Calif just has branch offices for DMV matters, no mobile vans that serve the outlying areas? As a convenience for its taxpayers?
Well the taxpayers would pay for that convenience! If people choose to live in the sticks, they'll have to do some driving. At any rate most DMV transactions can be done online or via mail (i.e. license renewal, annual registration). This RealID thing is an exception, and - quite frankly - it's probably unnecessary for most many people, esp. those with passports.

No need to apologize. Negative stereotypes help stem the influx into this overcrowded basket case. We already enough newcomers complaining that the weather is too pleasant and that the pizza isn't as good as "back east."

BTW - MD fits into CA about 13 times.

drawpoker

Post by drawpoker » Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:06 pm

SrGrumpy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:09 pm
drawpoker wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:58 am
Well the taxpayers would pay for that convenience! If people choose to live in the sticks, they'll have to do some driving.....
BTW - MD fits into CA about 13 times.
The :?: was actually directed to vested1, but that's okay too, you can speak for him :wink:

Besides being a convenience to taxpayers a fleet of vans that regularly visit the more remote areas would likely save the state a bunch of $$$. Because using these vans would cost a whole lot less than maintaining brick and mortar branch offices with their associated fixed costs.

How can 100% Customer Satisfaction For 20 Years ! be wrong 8-) 8-)

https://smnewsnet.com/archives/423036/m ... va-design/

anonenigma

Post by anonenigma » Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:11 pm

vested1 wrote:
drawpoker wrote:
stan1 wrote:

Not sure if this is tongue in cheek (referencing the emoji) or simply a convenient talking point from a decade ago, but repeating this point only perpetuates it. CA has had a budget surplus for some time, as well as providing more than their share of support for their residents and those of other States in the form of federal taxation amounts.

https://wallethub.com/edu/states-most-l ... ment/2700/ (ranks 35th in federal assistance)

Having spent my entire life in California until recently I tire of it being a target for the uninformed. Again, not sure if you qualify as one of them. As for the wait at the CA DMV, as stated earlier, it's ridiculous, even with an appointment, and even in a less populated location like where I used to live. Hiring some additional agents would solve this problem. Exhibiting a bit of empathy at the frustration of frazzled DMV agents over something they have no control over can provide a more satisfying experience.
+1

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:14 pm

oldcomputerguy wrote:
I thought it was OK for travel in and out of Canada. A lot of people go back and forth quite frequently (commuting) so I was under the impression that part of the reason for the card was to provide a more convenient form factor and lower cost solution for them. Maybe that only applies to ground transportation.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

oldcomputerguy
Location: In the middle of five acres of woods in East Tennessee

Post by oldcomputerguy » Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:45 pm

jebmke wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:14 pm
oldcomputerguy wrote:
I thought it was OK for travel in and out of Canada. A lot of people go back and forth quite frequently (commuting) so I was under the impression that part of the reason for the card was to provide a more convenient form factor and lower cost solution for them. Maybe that only applies to ground transportation.
The linked State Dept page specifically says that you can use the card for entering the US from Canada by land or sea, but not by air.
"I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people; and if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you." (Aaron Sorkin)

rec630

Post by rec630 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:46 am

Steelersfan wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:02 pm
clip651 wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:27 pm
For those that need a replacement social security card, it can be requested online in many states:

https://www.ssa.gov/myaccount/replacement-card.html

This may be helpful if your card is lost, old, laminated, or for whatever other reason deemed unacceptable by the folks checking documents for Real ID.
I tried multiple times to order a replacement online and could never get the system to accept whatever I put in. That's why I had to visit my local SS office. Hopefully others will have been luck. Or more skill.

The state I currently live in and the one where I got my original SS card are both on the eligible list.
I ran into the same issue. At the office I was told that since they issued my card back in the 60's, default values were put into the system which were not valid now and he had to make manual changes to them before I could do certain things online.

Big Dog

Re: Need for Real ID

Post by Big Dog » Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:00 pm

jebmke wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:03 pm
There is an existing long thread on a related topic of documentation. If you have a passport, the airport should accept that. I would guess that VA will fall in line eventually and qualifying DLs will be the only thing they issue.....
Can't speak for Virginia, but California will continue to issue non-Real ID drivers licenses (for undocumenteds). I assume some other states will continue to issue such drivers licenses, as well.

OnTrack

Post by OnTrack » Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:51 pm

MikeG62 wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:45 pm
I lost my SS card 3 decades ago. Have never thought about or needed it since I lost it.
Did you ever get hired in a new job since you lost your SS card? Under US federal law (Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986), you must show documentation verifying (1) that you are authorized to work in the US and (2) you are who you say you are. Usually a SS card and a driver's license are used to satisfy these requirements although other documents can be used (for example an unexpired US passport would satisfy both requirements). Note that the employer must actually see the documents and cannot just assume that the new employee is authorized to work in the US based on his or her appearance or accent.
https://www.uscis.gov/book/export/html/59502/en (see section 13).
Per link above, "You may terminate an employee who fails to produce an acceptable document or documents, or an acceptable receipt for a document within three business days of the date employment begins. Employers that fail to properly complete Form I-9 risk violating section 274A of the INA and are subject to civil money penalties."
Last edited by OnTrack on Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:44 am, edited 5 times in total.

OnTrack

Post by OnTrack » Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:25 am

When I got my first real ID driver's license, the clerk at the DMV would not accept my birth certificate, I think because it was issued by a municipality, not the state. However, they accepted my passport instead even though the municipality issued birth certificate was used and accepted when originally applying for the passport. :confused

I've applied for a state issued birth certificate 4 months ago; still waiting to receive it.

MikeG62

Post by MikeG62 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:08 am

OnTrack wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:51 pm
MikeG62 wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:45 pm
I lost my SS card 3 decades ago. Have never thought about or needed it since I lost it.
Did you ever get hired in a new job since you lost your SS card?
Yup, I sure have. Lost my SS card in high school and was hired a by a few different companies after that (retired now).
Real Knowledge Comes Only From Experience

SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy » Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:20 am

OnTrack wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:25 am
I've applied for a state issued birth certificate 4 months ago; still waiting to receive it.
Four months is ridiculous. Time to yell at some government peons.

fru-gal

Post by fru-gal » Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:47 am

vested1 wrote:
drawpoker wrote:
stan1 wrote:

+1 for Ca.

The RI DMV is awful in terms of wait times, but AAA to the rescue. RI AAA also issues RealIDs.