Should I sell or keep my 5 year old depreciated Tesla

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
eye.surgeon

Should I sell or keep my 5 year old depreciated Tesla

Post by eye.surgeon » Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:07 pm

I have a 2014 Tesla Model S85 (with autopilot) with 40k miles which I bought new. bumper to bumper warranty expired a year ago, drivetrain warranty is good for another 3 years. It's been very reliable with low service costs and obviously no fuel costs, just electricity which is minimal. I do enjoy driving it, it's in great shape and still fast as Hades.

Dilemma, since buying it I have changed my philosophy on expensive cars. I have a high 6 figure income so I could afford to drive pretty much anything, I just don't' want to. My next car will be a new Honda Accord or similar. Should I make the change now? The Tesla has depreciated so much (it's probably worth about $38k right now, original price was over $100k before ~ $15k in rebates) that I wonder if I should just drive it into the ground for a few more years, or get out now.

Seeking opinions among my like-minded people here :)
"I would rather be certain of a good return than hopeful of a great one" | Warren Buffett

Re: Should I sell or keep my 5 year old depreciated Tesla

Post by 123 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:24 pm

No one will mistake you for trendy with a 5 year old Tesla. If you want to switch to an Accord or similar to be less ostentatious I think you'd have to get a used one that is a couple of years old.

Easiest solution is to just continue to drive the Tesla.

Some "more mature" drivers are driving Corvettes/Camaros/T-birds that are 20+ years old. Those cars represent something from their early years. Your Tesla does that for you.
Last edited by 123 on Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

fru-gal

Post by fru-gal » Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:28 pm

Why buy something that uses gasoline?

Drive it for another year or two, and it will be worth what a new Accord is, but will be better for the planet and still a very good car.

I don't understand throwing away $40,000. Is your income burning a hole in your pocket?

Cubicle

Post by Cubicle » Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:54 pm

I'd stick with the Tesla. You'll probably have more fun compared to an Accord. Even if its an even trade tomorrow, Tesla for Accord, the Tesla will be close, if not cheaper, than the Accord to run, barring catastrophic failures of your Tesla.

anoop

Post by anoop » Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:59 pm

123 wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:24 pm
No one will mistake you for trendy with a 5 year old Tesla. If you want to switch to an Accord or similar to be less ostentatious I think you'd have to get a used one that is a couple of years old.

Easiest solution is to just continue to drive the Tesla.

Some "more mature" drivers are driving Corvettes/Camaros/T-birds that are 20+ years old. Those cars represent something from their early years. Your Tesla does that for you.
The new Tesla and 5 year old one look the same. What makes you trendy in CA is the color of your HOV access sticker. :)
https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?1dmy ... v/vr/decal

OP, I don't think this is a financial decision for you. Decide what you prefer and do that. For sure you will save a packet going to an Accord (something as simple as insurance would be a lot cheaper), but if you go to an Accord and then change your mind and want to get something better, then it won't be a money saving move. Either way, it won't matter much financially given your income. Have you done research on the reliability of the non-drivetrain components in the Tesla? Are there failures of door locks or window mechanisms or other electronics that would lead to expensive repairs? In general, when driving an expensive car, I like to pair it with an extended warranty to limit out of pocket expenses.

Tal-

Post by Tal- » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:10 am

Another vote for sticking with the Tesla. I'm not oppose to you buying something new - I just don't see the reason to do so (and I'm not a huge fan of going from electric to gas, but that's my personal bias).
Debt is to personal finance as a knife is to cooking.

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:14 am

Track it. So fast. Win everything. :twisted:

SevenBridgesRoad

Post by SevenBridgesRoad » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:20 am

eye.surgeon wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:07 pm
Dilemma, since buying it I have changed my philosophy on expensive cars. I have a high 6 figure income so I could afford to drive pretty much anything, I just don't' want to. My next car will be a new Honda Accord or similar. Should I make the change now?...
High six-figure income? Want to make a change in automobile, one that costs less and certainly less flashy, because of a new philosophy? But just not sure of the timing of your new philosophy? When to launch the whole new philosophy thing? Please explain.
Retired 2018 age 61 | "Not using an alarm is one of the great glories of my life." Robert Greene

anoop

Post by anoop » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:22 am

whodidntante wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:14 am
Dunno about winning everything because I think Tesla will throttle back performance after a certain number of launches to save the battery (so it doesn't have foot a warranty repair).

Goal33

Post by Goal33 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:58 am

I’d keep it...
A man with one watch always knows what time it is; a man with two watches is never sure.

fareastwarriors

Post by fareastwarriors » Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:23 am

Keep it.

It’s just an old Tesla. Not flashy at all. Drive it as long as you can, boglehead-style .

For your next car, please don’t go back to gasoline.

motorcyclesarecool

Post by motorcyclesarecool » Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:46 am

...but I thought Elon said Tesla cars are appreciating assets???

https://electrek.co/2019/04/12/tesla-v ... elon-musk/

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Understand that choosing an HDHP is very much a "red pill" approach. Most would rather pay higher premiums for a $20 copay per visit. They will think you weird for choosing an HSA.

chipperd

Post by chipperd » Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:30 am

Keep it. You have eaten the majority of the depreciation and the depreciation rate will continue to go down over time, coupled with the low cost of ownership, like minded people here like myself will say it's a good financial decision to keep this car until it rots.

mmmodem

Post by mmmodem » Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:13 am

Being a 5 year Tesla owner, I'm surprised you haven't seen any of the comparisons of a ~$38k Tesla Model 3 having a lower cost of ownership than a new Camry.

https://cleantechnica.com/2019/09/27/te ... st-to-own/

Yes, a new Model 3 isn't a 5 year old Model S. You can, however, make a reasonable approximation that your Model S is at price parity or under the cost of ownership of a new Honda Accord especially since most of the new car depreciation is already over.

WengerTodd

Post by WengerTodd » Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:28 am

eye.surgeon wrote:
I have a 2014 Tesla Model S85 (with autopilot) with 40k miles which I bought new. bumper to bumper warranty expired a year ago, drivetrain warranty is good for another 3 years. It's been very reliable with low service costs and obviously no fuel costs, just electricity which is minimal. I do enjoy driving it, it's in great shape and still fast as Hades.

Dilemma, since buying it I have changed my philosophy on expensive cars. I have a high 6 figure income so I could afford to drive pretty much anything, I just don't' want to. My next car will be a new Honda Accord or similar. Should I make the change now? The Tesla has depreciated so much (it's probably worth about $38k right now, original price was over $100k before ~ $15k in rebates) that I wonder if I should just drive it into the ground for a few more years, or get out now.

I learned from my dad on things like this. He can literally go pay cash for an entire Home Depot store, but he'll wait 6 months for a wheelbarrow to go on sale to use on a patio that he'll build himself at the age of 70. He's gotten much better in retirement with the insistence of my mom, and now they're living life at The Villages in Central Florida.

When my wife was pregnant, I immediately traded in my 2006 Pontiac Solstice in 2008 on a 6 year old Ford Explorer Sport with cash back for my trouble. It had about 30k miles when I got it, and I drove it for the next 11 years. I finally donated it 2 months ago to a neighborhood kid (just gave it to him) with 180k+ miles on it. It's not that I didn't want a new car, and I could certainly afford a new car, I just didn't NEED a new car, and honestly... my daughter wasn't at the age yet where she'd be embarrassed being seen in it. I only got rid of it because I wanted my wife to have a newer car, so I took her old car, and didn't want the Explorer sitting in the driveway.

With your changed outlook on life, there's absolutely no reason why you shouldn't keep the car you have. I assume electricity is cheaper than gas where you live, and your car certainly isn't old. The motors in the Tesla are brushless, so there's little if any wear they'll see over the life of the car. Other than usual things, brakes, tires, suspension bits, and batteries... your car should last perfectly fine for the next 10 years, being totally serious. There are numerous Teslas that hit 200k miles effortlessly... so unless you really want a late-30s single-woman's car (Accord), then I just say... keep your Tesla.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:45 am

+1.for keeping the car. It is fun to drive and is a sunk cost. Enjoy it. Learn to think of a car as something to get you from point A to point B. If you have a philosophy about cars let it be the Boglehead philosophy for keeping a car until it is used up.

oldcomputerguy
Location: In the middle of five acres of woods in East Tennessee

Post by oldcomputerguy » Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:58 am

This topic is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum.
"I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people; and if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you." (Aaron Sorkin)

DoubleBogey1

Post by DoubleBogey1 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:53 am

Hold the Tesla, wait to buy the Tesla truck

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:54 am

I think I'd keep it. No one cares what you drive.

Reasons to keep the Tesla and avoid the Accord:
(from an Accord owner)
- Seats in the Accord aren't very good. You'll likely get back/neck pain unless you modify the seat.
- The navigation system in the Tesla is unmatched. Infotainment in the Accord is very pedestrian.
- Acceleration in the Accord is pathetic compared to the Tesla.

And even the Tesla isn't "good" for the earth (the power must still be generated and Lithium mines aren't pretty.) This is a non-issue.

Nate79

Post by Nate79 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:27 am

+1 to keeping it. It is basically at the value of an Accord already. It's still a nice car but nothing special.

And goodness that was a hugely expensive per mile cost to operate due to the insane depreciation. The fact that it had low operating cost is pretty meaningless when it lost $60k in 5 years.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:34 am

Can you buy a continued warranty bumper to bumper? I've heard that this is possible. Sure, it's as much as a warranty on a McLaren 720 but when door handles start failing at $800 apiece, you're going to want them fixed quickly. How fast can you get this fixed in your area. Near me, the Tesla repair center is a disaster. Have an appointment and show up on time......they've never heard of you, come back in a month.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:36 am

mmmodem wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:13 am
Being a 5 year Tesla owner, I'm surprised you haven't seen any of the comparisons of a ~$38k Tesla Model 3 having a lower cost of ownership than a new Camry.

Be cautious of this highly-biased analysis. It has many suspect assumptions, such as no cars are ever discounted from MSRP, Teslas do not depreciate much (which the ~65% drop in OP's Model S seems to belie), insurance costs are the same, etc.

snackdog

Post by snackdog » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:18 am

I guess if I was earning high six figures (say, $750K/yr), I would allocate 5% to vehicle and lease something decent for $2000/month. That would get you a gently used Bentley convertible or SUV. Or ten differently colored Accords.

Brianmcg321

Post by Brianmcg321 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:32 am

I vote to sell it.
Rules to investing: | 1. Don't lose money. | 2. Don't forget rule number 1.

researcher

Post by researcher » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:21 am

eye.surgeon wrote:
I have a 2014 Tesla Model S85 (with autopilot) with 40k miles which I bought new.
The Tesla has depreciated so much (it's probably worth about $38k right now, original price was over $100k before ~ $15k in rebates) that I wonder if I should just drive it into the ground for a few more years, or get out now.
Yes, you should continue driving the Tesla.

The top trim level Accord has a $37,000 MSRP.
After tax/title/license, switching to the Accord will cost more than keeping your Tesla.

angelescrest

Post by angelescrest » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:48 am

From a financial point of view, it makes no sense to sell the Tesla and buy a Honda Accord. A fully loaded Honda Accord is quite expensive imo, so I don't necessarily view someone driving a new Honda Accord as being a more humble consumer. If you really wanted to look less flashy, then maybe something like an $18,000 Corolla.

If you're looking at this as a financial decision, then keep the Tesla. If this is really about a different philosophy, and that philosophy results in wanting to be less visibly wealthy or flashy, then only you can decide what that looks like. I'd certainly recommend doing what fits with your values.

StandingRock

Post by StandingRock » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:02 am

It sounds like you still like it. Better to just keep driving it, it might be hard to sell the pile of garbage to someone else.

zlandar

Post by zlandar » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:36 am

No point selling the Tesla when you have already taken most of the depreciation. You like the car, it drives fine, and it has no major mechanical issues.

If you still want to buy the Accord rent one for a week and see if it's a car you really want. There was one recent post here where the OP had buyer's remorse because he felt the driver's seat in the Accord was uncomfortable. That's not something you are going to notice on a short test drive.

smitcat

Post by smitcat » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:44 am

lazydavid wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:36 am
mmmodem wrote:

Be cautious of this highly-biased analysis. It has many suspect assumptions, such as no cars are ever discounted from MSRP, Teslas do not depreciate much (which the ~65% drop in OP's Model S seems to belie), insurance costs are the same, etc.
"Teslas do not depreciate much"
Charts available here....

https://usedfirst.com/cars/tesla/

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:58 am

smitcat wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:44 am

At the risk of taking us way off topic, I don't believe for a second that Teslas appreciate by 10% in the third year of ownership, as those numbers show.

And again, the topic of this thread is a $100k+ 2014 Model S that is currently worth $38k. Those figures suggest it should be worth about $50k. That's a pretty huge gap.

smitcat

Post by smitcat » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:59 am

lazydavid wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:58 am
smitcat wrote:

At the risk of taking us way off topic, I don't believe for a second that Teslas appreciate by 10% in the third year of ownership, as those numbers show.

And again, the topic of this thread is a $100k+ 2014 Model S that is currently worth $38k. Those figures suggest it should be worth about $50k. That's a pretty huge gap.
I just posted a source of data - you can also search on a site like cars.com if you like.
The figures are out there if you choose to find them.

Update - just searched 2014 Tesla M-S within 100 miles of us , there are two at about the same mileages. Both are listed below $40k asking price FWIW.
Last edited by smitcat on Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:11 am

researcher wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:21 am
eye.surgeon wrote:
I have a 2014 Tesla Model S85 (with autopilot) with 40k miles which I bought new.
The Tesla has depreciated so much (it's probably worth about $38k right now, original price was over $100k before ~ $15k in rebates) that I wonder if I should just drive it into the ground for a few more years, or get out now.
Yes, you should continue driving the Tesla.

The top trim level Accord has a $37,000 MSRP.
After tax/title/license, switching to the Accord will cost more than keeping your Tesla.
I doubt it. That 37k msrp honda sells for under 32. I haven't seen many places where you are paying almost 20% in tax/title/license. And of course you should expect the Honda to last 5 years longer than the Tesla.

The real question with Tesla is going to be what the long term costs (i.e. miles 100k-250k) will be. If you look at the taxi fleets that have done mileage like that, the costs are pretty bad with most of them requiring multiple battery and drive train replacements. It works great for the taxi company who gets them down before the warranty expires (they are driving 30k+ miles/year. It is great having your drive train under warranty for 250k miles.). Not so great for the consumer that has to pay for them because it takes them more than 8 years to put on 150k/ miles. Of course all these teslas with 250k+ miles tend to be 4+ year olds. Who knows what changes have happened since then. I almost worry more about all the electronics in new cars (LCD screens, radar, tons of computers,...) that all have to live through a 15+ years of thermal cycling and vibration. But again that is all newish cars.

Personally i would keep the car. Why drive a honda given the minimal differences in costs. In 3-4 years there will be plenty of EVs in all categories to chose from.

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:11 am

anoop wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:22 am
whodidntante wrote:
Dunno about winning everything because I think Tesla will throttle back performance after a certain number of launches to save the battery (so it doesn't have foot a warranty repair).
Gee, you make it sound like the Tesla owners who claim to have bought the ultimate performance car are all wrong. I guess that's true.

But a counterpoint is that a Tesla has been launched into space. How many Corvette's have been launched into space? If you guessed none, you would be right. But some have achieved impressive air before becoming insurance claims.

:happy

Blueskies123

Post by Blueskies123 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:13 am

I also vote for keeping the Tesla. One point not mentioned is that once the full self-driving software comes out it will be like driving a new car.

dknightd

Post by dknightd » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:16 am

eye.surgeon wrote:

drive it into the ground, Or until a repair costs more than it is worth. Or it becomes unreliable.

researcher

Post by researcher » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:46 am

randomguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:11 am
I doubt it. That 37k msrp honda sells for under 32. I haven't seen many places where you are paying almost 20% in tax/title/license...
Personally i would keep the car. Why drive a honda given the minimal differences in costs.
We are in agreement, that given the minimal differences in cost, they should stick with the Tesla.

The point is...getting rid of the $3x,xxx Tesla to purchase a $3x,xxx Accord does not support his "changed philosophy on expensive cars."

anoop

Post by anoop » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:50 am

researcher wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:46 am
randomguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:11 am
I doubt it. That 37k msrp honda sells for under 32. I haven't seen many places where you are paying almost 20% in tax/title/license...
Personally i would keep the car. Why drive a honda given the minimal differences in costs.
We are in agreement, that given the minimal differences in cost, they should stick with the Tesla.

The point is...getting rid of the $3x,xxx Tesla to purchase a $3x,xxx Accord does not support his "changed philosophy on expensive cars."
Of course there is. Wait till something breaks and needs to be fixed on the Tesla.

FrugalConservative

Post by FrugalConservative » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:50 am

smitcat wrote:
lazydavid wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:36 am
mmmodem wrote:

Are you serious? The OP just stated that he bought his TESLA for $85k and its now worth $35K (maybe). Tesla's drop like rockets.

Keep the TESLA OP.
Last edited by FrugalConservative on Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Topic Author
eye.surgeon

Post by eye.surgeon » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:51 am

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. I'm just going to keep it. My change in philosophy isn't about appearances it's about spending less on personal transportation, and to that end I would agree after some consideration that a new Accord or equivalent wouldn't save me anything at this point and would certainly be less enjoyable to drive.

As for depreciation, my Model S has depreciated similarly or less than comparable expensive sedans like a S class or a 7 series. While it has certainly depreciated more than a Camry, I'm not sure that's an apples to apples comparison.
"I would rather be certain of a good return than hopeful of a great one" | Warren Buffett

fareastwarriors

Post by fareastwarriors » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:35 am

You bought it new right? Do you have unlimited supercharging?

Depending on your usage (if at all), that could be worth a few grand right there.

coffeeblack

Post by coffeeblack » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:22 pm

whodidntante wrote:
No it won't. Teslas are fast from 0 to 60. On the track no way it will beat the other cars with similar 0 to 60 times. It's easy to make a car go fast 0 to 60. It's hard to give it world class handling ability.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:32 pm

If you're worried about depreciation, consider that until recently, buyers had to line up in a queue and wait until they were granted permission to buy a new Tesla. That's no longer the case. The queue is gone. It's taking a bit of time for sellers of used Teslas to accept that fact, so lots of overpriced used ones are on the market, languishing as a new one can be had in very little time. See Rich Rebuilds videos. He talks about this and he is intimately familiar with the Tesla used market.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:33 pm

I'd keep it over getting an Accord.

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:35 pm

coffeeblack wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:22 pm
whodidntante wrote:
No it won't. Teslas are fast from 0 to 60. On the track no way it will beat the other cars with similar 0 to 60 times. It's easy to make a car go fast 0 to 60. It's hard to give it world class handling ability.
Two words: space Tesla. :happy

coffeeblack

Post by coffeeblack » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:41 pm

whodidntante wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:35 pm
coffeeblack wrote:
whodidntante wrote:
LOL. When I see a tesla race a Porsche or BMW or Lamborghini or Ferrari on a TRACK and beat it before it's battery heating up or going off the track because it can't make a turn at high speed, I'll consider one. Until then it's just a fast go cart for those who think 0 to 60 is racing.

RobLyons

Post by RobLyons » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:43 pm

It's more of a personal question. Do you want to change vehicles now? If yes, then do it. The Accord just underwent a redesign in 2017-18 I believe. You could trade in the Tesla straight up and probably get some cash back. Depreciate is low so I definitely do not consider this move to be "throwing away" money. And this isn't a terrible dilemma to have. High 6 figure income, interested in vehicle 1/20th of my annual income. Win win!
"Great parenting sets the foundation for a better world"

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:05 pm

coffeeblack wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:41 pm
whodidntante wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:35 pm
coffeeblack wrote:
whodidntante wrote:
LOL. When I see a tesla race a Porsche or BMW or Lamborghini or Ferrari on a TRACK and beat it before it's battery heating up or going off the track because it can't make a turn at high speed, I'll consider one. Until then it's just a fast go cart for those who think 0 to 60 is racing.
I've noticed there are no gas stations in space. But there are plenty of batteries. And ways to charge them.

But yeah, taking a Tesla to the track would be crazy. It's not a performance car. I decided to proxy for the Tesla fanbois since none had shown up yet. Plus I really want to see one pass me on my next track day. I like learning new things like how wrong I am.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:10 pm

Here's my favorite video of a Tesla on the Nurburgring.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyWT6HZftI4

coffeeblack

Post by coffeeblack » Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:33 pm

:sharebeer
Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:10 pm
Here's my favorite video of a Tesla on the Nurburgring.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyWT6HZftI4
:sharebeer :D I couldn't have said it better myself.

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:40 pm

whodidntante wrote:
As long as its a single lap race though right?