Find my phone -- easy way to find it when lost in the house?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
doss

Find my phone -- easy way to find it when lost in the house?

Post by doss »

My wife and I always tend to lose our phones in the house. We tried the Find my Phone feature to help us locate it but I think the search area is too broad (e.g., point of location is "in the neighborhood" rather than a section of the house).

Does anyone have any advice/tips on an app or tool that would help us surgically locate a missing phone in the house*? Thanks!

*Yes, we sometimes can try calling the other phone, but for some reason that only works 50% of the time due to battery, ring settings, etc.
“ The long-term 9%-10% nominal return of the stock market INCLUDES the crashes.” — calvin+hobbs
Tamarind

Re: Find my phone -- easy way to find it when lost in the house?

Post by Tamarind »

If it's an Android phone with Assistant, you can call out to your phone and it will make noise even if it was silenced. Of course that doesn't help anyone with an iPhone or a dead battery.

They also make "locator" tags that will stick to your phone case and can be found with another phone. Don't know how good they are with the "I know it's in this room somewhere scenario".

Failing that, I guess try to declutter and get a brightly colored case?
Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue »

If it is an iPhone Use Find My iPhone. Select the missing device. Select "Actions" and Click "Play Sound". Even with sound turned off it will make noise.

Cheers
dcabler

Post by dcabler »

Funny - I had to do this just last night. Of course it was sitting on a side table next to the bed, in plain sight. :D

As folks have already said, whether you have an Android based phone or an IPhone, there is a feature for finding your phone that let you make the phone play a sound so you can find it. For me, usually it's somewhere in the house and, if not, it's sitting in my car.

Cheers.
Shallowpockets

Post by Shallowpockets »

Don't tend to lose your phones in the house. This is an organization problem on your part. Easy to change your ways if you want or you can go ahead with solutions that others will post here. Same with car keys, wallets, etc. Have place for them. One place and stick to it.
Losing your stuff on a regular basis forbodes what, when you start getting cognitive decline. Maybe you will be ahead of the game on that. But, maybe you can organize yourself a bit more too.
fru-gal

Post by fru-gal »

Shallowpockets wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:32 am Don't tend to lose your phones in the house. This is an organization problem on your part. Easy to change your ways if you want or you can go ahead with solutions that others will post here. Same with car keys, wallets, etc. Have place for them. One place and stick to it.
Losing your stuff on a regular basis forbodes what, when you start getting cognitive decline. Maybe you will be ahead of the game on that. But, maybe you can organize yourself a bit more too.
I carry my phone with me, well, at least to the room I'm in, in the house, in case of emergency. A landline used to make this unnecessary, but then Verizon ripped out landline service in my area.

I have two phones, and just call the missing one. I am not sure why that doesn't always work for the OP. I don't change ring settings though.

I also realized that when I'm being lazy, instead of getting the second phone, I can just log into Vanguard and wait for it to ring the missing phone so it can send the code :-)
HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch »

Silk McCue wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:24 am If it is an iPhone Use Find My iPhone. Select the missing device. Select "Actions" and Click "Play Sound". Even with sound turned off it will make noise.

Cheers
+1 the sound will guide you right to the spot!
dm200

Post by dm200 »

In our household (just my wife and I), when I cannot locate my phone, my wife finds it.

Same for many other things I cannot find! :oops:
LoganLot

Post by LoganLot »

I use these to help find phones and keys. Stick one on the back of your phone, and you'll be able to find it from any other phone. It has its own battery, so works when the phone battery is dead or the sound is off.

https://www.thetileapp.com/en-us/
mlipps

Post by mlipps »

If you have an apple watch you can swipe up for the control center and then click the phone icon to ring your phone. This is so easy that I do it several times a week.
Momus

Post by Momus »

Just Google it. Call my phone.
Grasshopper

Post by Grasshopper »

I spent $20 for aTile attached to my tortoise, let it go on the ponderosa and have no problem finding it on cool nights.
i<3Investing

Post by i<3Investing »

Android has the "Android Device Manager" that will let you ring or lock your phone from any computer. You have to have it setup before you lose your phone though.

I also have a google home speaker and you can ask it to ring your phone and it will (even if its on silent). Both options work great for me.
walkabout

Post by walkabout »

LoganLot wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:20 am I use these to help find phones and keys. Stick one on the back of your phone, and you'll be able to find it from any other phone. It has its own battery, so works when the phone battery is dead or the sound is off.

No need to attach a tile to the phone. If you have one or more tiles and the tile app installed on your phone, double pressing on any tile should make the phone ring, even if it is turned off. You can also make your phone a virtual tile and share it with someone else (who has the tile app) so that person's phone can help find yours.

https://www.thetileapp.com/en-us/blog/cell-phone-finder (this blog post is pretty old, but the same capabilities should still exist, if not better capabilities).

Echoing suggestions from upthread, if you have an iPhone, Find My Phone (either from another of your devices, someone else's device, or from the icloud.com website) can make your phone play a sound even if the sound is off.
Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger »

HomeStretch wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:54 am
Silk McCue wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:24 am If it is an iPhone Use Find My iPhone. Select the missing device. Select "Actions" and Click "Play Sound". Even with sound turned off it will make noise.

Cheers
Now if I can just get my wallet and keys to play a sound I'll be in good shape. :)
LoganLot

Post by LoganLot »

That works great unless the battery is dead, which seems to be a common problem in my household. I ended up sticking one on the back and problem solved.
Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger »

LoganLot wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:20 am I use these to help find phones and keys. Stick one on the back of your phone, and you'll be able to find it from any other phone. It has its own battery, so works when the phone battery is dead or the sound is off.

Thanks for posting. I just posted if only I had something to make my wallet and keys make a sound i'd be in good shape, and you had alreday provided the answer.
HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch »

LoganLot wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:33 am That works great unless the battery is dead, which seems to be a common problem in my household. I ended up sticking one on the back and problem solved.
If “send last location” is turned on in Settings, the iPhone will send its location before the battery dies. New iOS features helps finding a phone that’s not connected to WiFi/mobile network using Bluetooth.

Edited for typo
Last edited by HomeStretch on Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
clip651

Post by clip651 »

I second the brightly colored cases comment. Look around your house. What are the dominant colors in areas where you tend to leave phones? Brown, grey, black, white, etc. What color do you have very little of in your house? Bright pink? Neon green? Bright yellow or orange, pastel pink or blue, etc? Go with those colors for things like phones you have trouble finding.

My mom used to keep a small black or dark grey phone (back in the flip phone days) in her black purse which had a black fabric lining. Even in the small confines of the purse in a room with good lighting, the phone was hard to find. Black wallet, same issue. Attaching a brightly colored strap to each one (back in the days when phones had straps) made it much easier to find. But a case would serve the same purpose.

Also, try to pick set places to leave the phone in each room. Certain corner of a table, on top of a certain bookcase, bedside table, whatever depending on the room. But pick particular places to put the phone down in each room you're likely to carry it to, and always take the extra second to take it to one of those places before putting it down.

These same tips work for other important items, like keys, remote controls, etc. Being deliberate and consistent about where you put something down makes it much easier to find again.

You also mentioned keeping the phone nearby for safety. Depending on your specific concerns, consider something wearable. Perhaps apple watch, philips lifeline pendant with fall alert, small purse or bag with phone in it carried over shoulder or around waist, etc.

best wishes,
cj
SwampDonkey

Post by SwampDonkey »

I appreciate this thread. I often leave my iphone throughout my house and have to have my wife call it while I listen for the vibration. I just tried the "Find my iphone" app and having the ability to make the phone make a significant ringing noise will make finding my phone 10x easier in the future.
HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch »

SwampDonkey wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:10 pm I appreciate this thread. I often leave my iphone throughout my house and have to have my wife call it while I listen for the vibration. I just tried the "Find my iphone" app and having the ability to make the phone make a significant ringing noise will make finding my phone 10x easier in the future.
The other nice features of “Find My iPhone” are:
1. If phone is stolen, you can lock it and erase all data.
2. If phone is lost, you can display a message on the home screen (which shows up even if phone is locked). Family member lost a phone, added the message and the next morning someone called to return the phone!
wm631

Post by wm631 »

doss wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:18 am My wife and I always tend to lose our phones in the house. We tried the Find my Phone feature to help us locate it but I think the search area is too broad (e.g., point of location is "in the neighborhood" rather than a section of the house).

Does anyone have any advice/tips on an app or tool that would help us surgically locate a missing phone in the house*? Thanks!

*Yes, we sometimes can try calling the other phone, but for some reason that only works 50% of the time due to battery, ring settings, etc.
Follow where your dog's been :annoyed.
retire2022

Post by retire2022 »

Op

If I don’t have a phone to call the cell I used my computer or laptop via google voice to hear the ringtone.

Google Voice saved me during Sandy when phone power lines were out.
LoganLot

Post by LoganLot »

HomeStretch wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:44 am
LoganLot wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:33 am That works great unless the battery is dead, which seems to be a common problem in my household. I ended up sticking one on the back and problem solved.
If “send last location” is turned on in Settings, the iPhone will send its location before the battery dies. New iOS features helps finding a phone that’s not connected to WiFi/mobile network using Bluetooth.

Edited for typo
The issue with “send last location” is that 1) it’s not accurate enough to tell you where in the house it is and 2) it only shows the last location for 24hrs after the battery dies. If you can live with these limitations, then great. For my household, the Tile fills my needs better.

Interestingly, Apple is rumored to be about to release a competing product to Tile that called ‘Apple Tag’ that uses ultra-wideband which is far more accurate than even Bluetooth.

https://9to5mac.com/2019/06/04/ios-13-tag-device/
SwampDonkey

Post by SwampDonkey »

HomeStretch wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:17 pm
SwampDonkey wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:10 pm I appreciate this thread. I often leave my iphone throughout my house and have to have my wife call it while I listen for the vibration. I just tried the "Find my iphone" app and having the ability to make the phone make a significant ringing noise will make finding my phone 10x easier in the future.
The other nice features of “Find My iPhone” are:
1. If phone is stolen, you can lock it and erase all data.
2. If phone is lost, you can display a message on the home screen (which shows up even if phone is locked). Family member lost a phone, added the message and the next morning someone called to return the phone!
Great tips. Thank you!
EddyB

Post by EddyB »

dm200 wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:56 am In our household (just my wife and I), when I cannot locate my phone, my wife finds it.

Same for many other things I cannot find! :oops:
What if you can't find her?!
Dtort

Post by Dtort »

If its an iPhone and you have "Hey Siri" turned on, you can go through the house calling "Hey Siri!" and wait for her to answer "I'm here". My wife has good results with this.
fru-gal

Post by fru-gal »

I wish they would make these small enough for a cat's collar. I guard opening the door to my house, but once one of my cats zoomed out (frightened by a new person being there). He was gone for about a day, but imagine being able to locate a pet with one of those things. The company would probably sell millions.
Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue »

Dtort wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:39 pm If its an iPhone and you have "Hey Siri" turned on, you can go through the house calling "Hey Siri!" and wait for her to answer "I'm here". My wife has good results with this.
Good point, as long is the iPhone is at least a 6S generation.

Do you respond in like manner when she calls you or do you pretend not to hear? :)

Cheers
ryuns

Post by ryuns »

In addition to what's been mentioned, google home will ring your phone too. This is more helpful than simply saying "hey google", since you always know where your google home is, but may not be in earshot of your phone. You can set up voice recognition too, so it knows whose phone you're referring to.
An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered; an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered. -- GK Chesterton
DiamondplateDave

Post by DiamondplateDave »

Today, 10-08-19, Amazon is offering a special on 4 tiles and a 'free' Echo Dot. If, of course, you are OK with Jeff Bezos not only listening to your private conversations but also knowing where your car keys, wallet, phone and cat are.
Speaking of cats, I know I saw somebody hawking a collar. Searching for "gps cat collar" returns tons of results from $9-300.
A GPS collar will help you locate your cat if it is missing, but will not prevent it from eating your face if you run out of Fancy Feast.
Magruder

Post by Magruder »

Lost my Iphone in the community dumpster while dumping my recyclables! Had no idea where I had misplaced or lost it, but had my son "look for me" a few hours later with the Find My Friends app! Successfully recovered!
Tdubs

Post by Tdubs »

Momus wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:25 am Just Google it. Call my phone.
Had no idea. It works!
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

Artful Dodger wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:30 am
HomeStretch wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:54 am

Cheers
Now if I can just get my wallet and keys to play a sound I'll be in good shape. :)
That is why I put a tile tracker in my wallet. Plays a tune on command. Wish I could figure out a way to put a tracker on my eyeglasses.
MotoTrojan

Post by MotoTrojan »

If battery is an issue, Amazon makes little tags that’ll make a sound for you. Great for tv remotes, keys, etc... as well.
flyingaway

Post by flyingaway »

I just set up my Samsung Phone with the Find My Mobile account and tested it. It worked with the Ring function. A few weeks ago, my silent phone was lost at the side of the car driver seat. It took me quite some time to find it, after exhausting all other possible locations.

Thanks for the tips.
dm200

Post by dm200 »

I put a sticker with my home phone number on the back of my smartphone - in case I leave it someplace.
LiterallyIronic

Post by LiterallyIronic »

Shallowpockets wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:32 am Don't tend to lose your phones in the house. This is an organization problem on your part. Easy to change your ways if you want or you can go ahead with solutions that others will post here. Same with car keys, wallets, etc. Have place for them. One place and stick to it.
This. My phone is always either in my pocket/purse or charging. Same with my keys (except replace "charging" with "on the nightstand"). I've never understood how people lose things. Everything always goes in the same place.
Topic Author
doss

Post by doss »

Thanks! I ended up using the FIND MY PHONE feature and that seems to do the job. However, I am hard of hearing and I am unable to hear the sound , but my wife can hear it. I wonder why they chose a high pitched sound for the missing phone feature.
“ The long-term 9%-10% nominal return of the stock market INCLUDES the crashes.” — calvin+hobbs