Personal Capital website?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
GordonG

Personal Capital website?

Post by GordonG » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:16 pm

Anyone use this account aggregator service? While searching for aggregators, Personal Capital and Mint seemed to be the top two ones that kept coming up. I've just been using my Fidelity account up until now since it has this feature built-in, but it's kind of flaky, and doesn't want to work with all my bank accounts.

sonosoldi3112

Re: Personal Capital website?

Post by sonosoldi3112 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:18 pm

Yes .. I use PC .. love it ... some here do not wish to share passwords but I find the site invaluable.

zeal

Post by zeal » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:25 pm

I've used both before, currently use neither (dropped PC several weeks ago). Mint is mostly focused on budgeting/cash flow tracking/analysis, while Personal Capital is geared more toward investments and net worth tracking. I liked PC more but after a certain point just decided to keep track manually in Excel partly because several accounts would never sync correctly but also because I can customize with Excel however I want. Had the same problem (sync issues) with Mint as well--more than likely no aggregator will be perfect for you.

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:25 pm

I use it at times. Every year or so to see what my mix of investments are. I don't it use it for anything else.

bradpevans

Post by bradpevans » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:27 pm

sonosoldi3112 wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:18 pm
Yes .. I use PC .. love it ... some here do not wish to share passwords but I find the site invaluable.
Very happy personal capital and it’s free. You will get calls and emails trying to sign you up for their services but you’re under no obligation to do so

SevenBridgesRoad

Post by SevenBridgesRoad » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:30 pm

sonosoldi3112 wrote:
Have almost everything at Vanguard so don't need Personal Capital. Only funds not there: checking account with credit union and Lively HSA. Vanguard lets me track the HSA on its website.
Retired 2018 age 61 | "Not using an alarm is one of the great glories of my life." Robert Greene

ThereAreNoGurus

Post by ThereAreNoGurus » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:37 pm

bradpevans wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:27 pm
sonosoldi3112 wrote:
Very happy personal capital and it’s free. You will get calls and emails trying to sign you up for their services but you’re under no obligation to do so
Lately I have found Vanguard's marketing to be more annoying than PC's.

I'm a PC fan. I use it for expense tracking. I have also used Fidelity's Full View for that purpose. I prefer PC. But both sites have trouble syncing from time to time. Surprisingly PC support has been quite responsive. There are certain banks that won't work with either site.

For net worth tracking, Vanguard has an account aggregator that uses Yodlee. You have to request it. It's not bad. Not great either.
Trade the news and you will lose.

student

Post by student » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:43 pm

I use PC and I like it. But I find Fidelity Portfolio Analysis is just as good, which I believe is free even for non-customers but one does have to register.

Topic Author
GordonG

Post by GordonG » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:45 pm

Wow, thanks for all the quick replies. Sounds like it's worthwhile. I like it so far, but literally just signed up. Hopefully, the marketing side of it isn't too annoying, but I don't usually answer unknown phone calls anyway. :beer

Gadget

Post by Gadget » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:24 am

student wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:43 pm
I use PC and I like it. But I find Fidelity Portfolio Analysis is just as good, which I believe is free even for non-customers but one does have to register.
Fidelity Portfolio Analysis only works if everything you have is at Fidelity. I setup Fidelity Full view with all my accounts thinking that I could get rid of personal capital. But then Fidelity wouldn't even let me use their portfolio analysis for funds outside of Fidelity. It ended up giving me like a 2% chance of retirement, and unable to fix all of its incorrect assumptions about external accounts.

That said, it did look nice if all my retirement assets were at FIdelity.

vrr106

Post by vrr106 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:32 am

GordonG wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:16 pm
Anyone use this account aggregator service? While searching for aggregators, Personal Capital and Mint seemed to be the top two ones that kept coming up. I've just been using my Fidelity account up until now since it has this feature built-in, but it's kind of flaky, and doesn't want to work with all my bank accounts.
I use both PC and Mint. PC does a better job of showing your allocation, Mint is better for tracking spending. With PC you will get a lot of spam, notifications to use their fee based services etc. Just don't give them a phone number, unsubscribe from emails and ignore the notifications.

AverageInvestor1982

Post by AverageInvestor1982 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:37 am

vrr106 wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:32 am
GordonG wrote:
I use both PC and Mint. PC does a better job of showing your allocation, Mint is better for tracking spending. With PC you will get a lot of spam, notifications to use their fee based services etc. Just don't give them a phone number, unsubscribe from emails and ignore the notifications.
+1

lukestuckenhymer

Post by lukestuckenhymer » Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:00 pm

I used PC for a while, but certain accounts just wouldn't update (even big banks like Chase) and I was constantly reentering passwords and authenticating. It got frustrating so I discontinued using it. Not to mention the obnoxious phone calls.

You still can't beat tracking net worth using a spreadsheet.

terran

Post by terran » Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:30 pm

I'll just quote what I said in another thread as it still sums up my current opinion on the topic:
terran wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:23 am
My thinking on this is companies get hacked all the time. If the companies at which I have financial accounts get hacked that's on them, if Mint/Personal Capital/etc get hacked and I gave them usernames and passwords to log in to my financial accounts against the terms of service of those financial companies that's on me -- the financial companies aren't going to do anything for me. If the financial companies would give me a "read only" login (one that could see balances, but not make changes) I would feel differently.

Godot

Post by Godot » Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:56 pm

GordonG wrote:
My primary complaint with PC is that I cannot re-classify certain holdings. For example, I want to classify my Stable Value fund as a bond for AA purposes, but cannot do that.
Estragon: I can't go on like this. | Vladimir: That's what you think. | ― Samuel Beckett, Waiting for Godot

zlandar

Post by zlandar » Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:04 pm

I used to use PC in addition to Mint. I ended up deleting my account as Mint handles transactions and budgets better IMO. For portfolio info I use Vanguard's portfolio watch.

student

Post by student » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:53 pm

Gadget wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:24 am
student wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:43 pm
Fidelity Portfolio Analysis only works if everything you have is at Fidelity. I setup Fidelity Full view with all my accounts thinking that I could get rid of personal capital. But then Fidelity wouldn't even let me use their portfolio analysis for funds outside of Fidelity. It ended up giving me like a 2% chance of retirement, and unable to fix all of its incorrect assumptions about external accounts.

That said, it did look nice if all my retirement assets were at FIdelity.
I use Fidelity Portfolio Analysis and I manually entered assets held outside of Fidelity. It is working as expected.

DinkinFlicka

Post by DinkinFlicka » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:02 pm

ThereAreNoGurus wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:37 pm
Do they send any marketing material directly to you? Maybe it's because I haven't met some threshold, but they only send me emails about brokerage statements and they've never call me.

ThereAreNoGurus

Post by ThereAreNoGurus » Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:29 am

DinkinFlicka wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:02 pm
ThereAreNoGurus wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:37 pm
Do they send any marketing material directly to you? Maybe it's because I haven't met some threshold, but they only send me emails about brokerage statements and they've never call me.
Yep. And it's more often than email from PC. They are really pushing PAS. Eg., verbiage such as this:

"Like most of our clients, you're striving to accomplish some pretty amazing things for yourself—and for your family.

"Being advisors means we work with you to realize those lifelong dreams and aspirations. We build a personal financial plan that will help you achieve whatever goals you set. And we're always there to provide guidance along the way—and cheer you on!"

Also, centered at the top of the email is a quote from a PAS advisor (with her pic) saying, "I love my clients because they inspire me." LOL.

I haven't checked whether I can turn this stuff off with some sort of setting. I'll check next time I log in. Normally, I don't care about that sort of thing, but I used to think of Vanguard as being above the fray.

I received a phone call once, years ago, but none since.

I have not done a careful analysis, but Fidelity and Schwab seem a bit lower-key to me, these days. But again, I just might have been expecting more (or less in this case) from Vanguard.

I will get phone calls from PC occasionally , but I just disconnect when they call. Of course, I could block them, but haven't bothered, yet.

Edited to add:

Oh yeah, and one other thing that annoys me about Vanguard's website these days. When I go to the front page I have to scroll down a tad to log in because they have big fat banner adds. Previously it was for PAS, now it's for their Intl fund. Yeah, I know scrolling down to log in is not a big deal, but I hate UI's like that. Schwab and Fidelity don't resort to such tacky displays. Their websites look far more professional to me.

student

Post by student » Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:28 am

ThereAreNoGurus wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:29 am
Oh yeah, and one other thing that annoys me about Vanguard's website these days. When I go to the front page I have to scroll down a tad to log in because they have big fat banner adds. Previously it was for PAS, now it's for their Intl fund. Yeah, I know scrolling down to log in is not a big deal, but I hate UI's like that. Schwab and Fidelity don't resort to such tacky displays. Their websites look far more professional to me.
You can also click on the log on button on the upper right hand corner, which will bring you to the login page. It seems that big fat banner is the "modern" way of web design as I see it often.

Rainier

Post by Rainier » Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:27 am

GordonG wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:45 pm
Wow, thanks for all the quick replies. Sounds like it's worthwhile. I like it so far, but literally just signed up. Hopefully, the marketing side of it isn't too annoying, but I don't usually answer unknown phone calls anyway. :beer
Personal Capital is not free. It is no different from Facebook or Instagram. You are the product, and I'm not talking about just their paid services they try to market to you (which is not very annoying).

mhalley

Post by mhalley » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:22 am

There are 2 opposing schools of thought on pc.
One group is concerned about security and worries that a hack could expose their user names and passwords, so they are against using aggregators. Add the occasional sales call, and they are strongly against using it. You could enter your accounts manually if you are concerned.
Others (like me) think that the risk is relatively low, and outweighed by the benefits of the aggregation. We say no thank when the sales call comes, and that’s the end of it for six mos or so.
I have found their tech support to be responsive if one of the accounts stops working.

ThereAreNoGurus

Post by ThereAreNoGurus » Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:35 am

student wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:28 am
ThereAreNoGurus wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:29 am
You can also click on the log on button on the upper right hand corner, which will bring you to the login page. It seems that big fat banner is the "modern" way of web design as I see it often.
Yep, one can click there, and it's rather slow to redraw the screen. Again, not the end of the world. True, wasting space with useless graphics, unnecessary scrolling, and additional clicks are what passes for web design these days. (I realize some of it is geared towards phone apps.)

Hockey10

Post by Hockey10 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:53 pm

I use PC for expense tracking and to discover any fraudulent activity in my accounts. I have 4 credit cards and 2 checking accounts (with small balances) in PC. I refresh it 5-6 times per week. If there is any fraud on my accounts, I would catch it within 1-2 days of it taking place.

I used to have my "big money" accounts in PC (Fidelity and Vanguard), but there are many skeptics on Bogleheads who are concerned about account security on Personal Capital, so I deleted them from PC and changed their passwords.

student

Post by student » Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:14 pm

Hockey10 wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:53 pm
I use PC for expense tracking and to discover any fraudulent activity in my accounts. I have 4 credit cards and 2 checking accounts (with small balances) in PC. I refresh it 5-6 times per week. If there is any fraud on my accounts, I would catch it within 1-2 days of it taking place.

I used to have my "big money" accounts in PC (Fidelity and Vanguard), but there are many skeptics on Bogleheads who are concerned about account security on Personal Capital, so I deleted them from PC and changed their passwords.
You can still manually add them and update them yourself every month.

sschoe2

Post by sschoe2 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:16 pm

I tried Mint and PC and prefer PC's interface and functionality. The initial sales calls for adviser services were annoying but they have not since bothered me.

sapper1371

Post by sapper1371 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:39 pm

+1 for PC.....and +1 for finding the constant account linking problems incredibly annoying but seems every similar service has the same issues.

Here is a tip though. Tell them not to call you with their sales pitch until they fix all the linking problems and they will leave you alone!