Vanguard login help.

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
J G Bankerton

Vanguard login help.

Post by J G Bankerton » Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:57 pm

Is anyone else having a hard time logging into Vanguard? I changed my password twice and keep getting incorrect password. Vanguard isn't taking phone calls until Monday morning. My life savings is not accessible and I'm concerned.

retiringwhen

Re: Vanguard login help.

Post by retiringwhen » Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:00 pm

J G Bankerton wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:57 pm
Is anyone else having a hard time logging into Vanguard? I changed my password twice and keep getting incorrect password. Vanguard isn't taking phone calls until Monday morning. My life savings is not accessible and I'm concerned.
My wife just ran into that same issue this evening and we were trying to figure out why the login failed... She did the password reset and it worked. Interesting,

BTW, I miss your missive's in the soar/freefall threads, glad to see you are still here to post! :beer

Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy » Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:03 pm

No issues from the iOS app just now.

Wiggums

Post by Wiggums » Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:04 pm

I believe that you’ll have to wait until Monday if you are locked out. Sorry.

call us at (877) 817-6988. Vanguard client service representatives are ready to help you Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 10 p.m..

Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe » Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:07 pm

J G Bankerton wrote:
No, no problems here.

Topic Author
J G Bankerton

Post by J G Bankerton » Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:19 pm

I finally got in. Vanguard had a hic cup I assume. When I tried to login the first time I got a web page not reachable. I tried a different browser and got password wrong, I changed it and it still didn't work. I tried a third browser changing the password again and it still didn't work; said wrong password.

I got in on the original browser using the new password. I saw my life savings flash before my eyes. :shock:

Wiggums

Post by Wiggums » Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:23 pm

I was able to logon via a browser without any issues.

Glad you were able to logon.

retiringwhen

Post by retiringwhen » Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:25 pm

J G Bankerton wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:19 pm
I finally got in. Vanguard had a hic cup I assume. When I tried to login the first time I got a web page not reachable. I tried a different browser and got password wrong, I changed it and it still didn't work. I tried a third browser changing the password again and it still didn't work; said wrong password.

I got in on the original browser using the new password. I saw my life savings flash before my eyes. :shock:
Saturday evening system maintenance. We are all supposed to be at the Joker Movie, not looking at our life savings...

Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy » Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:26 pm

There have certainly been times when I've typed my password incorrectly two or three times in a row. Especially when I am in a hurry or flustered. The threat of lock-out usually gets me to buckle down and enter each character carefully and mindfully, and then it works!

Topic Author
J G Bankerton

Post by J G Bankerton » Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:28 pm

retiringwhen wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:25 pm
Saturday evening system maintenance. We are all supposed to be at the Joker Movie, not looking at our life savings...
They wouldn't let me wear my Joker mask so I didn't go in. :x
Cheez-It Guy wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:26 pm
There have certainly been times when I've typed my password incorrectly two or three times in a row. Especially when I am in a hurry or flustered. The threat of lock-out usually gets me to buckle down and enter each character carefully and mindfully, and then it works!
My browser auto fills in the blanks. This is the first time I had a problem.

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:36 pm

I just logged in (including 2FA) with no problem.

It's probably not a good idea to have your computer save passwords for financial sites but that's another discussion.
IGNORE the noise! | Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify. - Henry David Thoreau

Topic Author
J G Bankerton

Post by J G Bankerton » Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:55 pm

FrugalInvestor wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:36 pm
I just logged in (including 2FA) with no problem.

It's probably not a good idea to have your computer save passwords for financial sites but that's another discussion.
It is a stationary computer in my counting room. If someone gets access to it saved passwords are the least of my problems. I never log in from another device.

mud

Post by mud » Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:12 pm

I have had issues logging in to the Vanguard app on my iPhone. I use a password manager that syncs data between all my devices, and I'm able to use the same password manager to login to vanguard on my computer. For some reason, the iPhone app got an idea that the password that had previously worked would no longer work. And then it triggered the password lockout until I called vanguard to get it reinstated. I had to do this 2 times, and after the second time, I just gave up and removed the iPhone app from my phone.

After the first lockout, I called and had them reset my password. After the second lockout, the person offered to restore access with the existing password, and I took that option. Obviously, they have an issue somewhere that is causing this.

BigPrince

Post by BigPrince » Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:15 pm

J G Bankerton wrote:
What are your concerns?

Topic Author
J G Bankerton

Post by J G Bankerton » Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:45 am

BigPrince wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:15 pm
J G Bankerton wrote:
What are your concerns?
That a bad guy changed my password and robbed me of my lifesavings in the blink of an eye. Or to a lesser extent Vanguard is not doing their job; especially sines they were not taking calls for another 32 hours. Time is of the essence when one wants to catch a thief. :annoyed

BigPrince

Post by BigPrince » Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:01 pm

J G Bankerton wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:45 am
BigPrince wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:15 pm
J G Bankerton wrote:
What are your concerns?
That a bad guy changed my password and robbed me of my lifesavings in the blink of an eye. Or to a lesser extent Vanguard is not doing their job; especially sines they were not taking calls for another 32 hours. Time is of the essence when one wants to catch a thief. :annoyed
How would a bad guy rob of you of your life savings using Vanguard.com?

Why should Vanguard take calls over the weekend? Money does not move during the weekend so why is time of the essence?

Post by 1789 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:14 pm

Something going on for last two weeks.Website is very slow and login takes like 30-40 secs in my case.
"My conscience wants vegetarianism to win over the world. And my subconscious is yearning for a piece of juicy meat. But what do i want?" (Andrei Tarkovsky)

Topic Author
J G Bankerton

Post by J G Bankerton » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:51 pm

BigPrince wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:01 pm
should Vanguard take calls over the weekend?
To keep my business. No fees are now common even for publicly held brokers.
1789 wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:14 pm
Something going on for last two weeks.Website is very slow and login takes like 30-40 secs in my case.
I noticed that too.

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:35 pm

J G Bankerton wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:51 pm
BigPrince wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:01 pm
should Vanguard take calls over the weekend?
To keep my business. No fees are now common even for publicly held brokers.
1789 wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:14 pm
I noticed that too.
For me, using either the website or the app, logon takes under 5 seconds.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started