Social Security Card as Identification for Real ID

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Canopus

Social Security Card as Identification for Real ID

Post by Canopus »

Am preparing to apply for a Real ID-compliant driver license. One of the requirements is that I submit my original Social Security card as part of the identity-verification process.

Many years ago, at the time that I applied for Social Security, the card that I was issued was a blank template on which both my name and my newly-assigned SS number were typed by the processing agent. I still have that card in my possession.

I believe that the current practice involves newly-issued SS cards having a pre-printed number on the face of the card (may be wrong about this).

Question: Will the card that I was issued meet the identity-verification requirements for Real ID compliance?

Canopus
drawpoker

Re: Social Security Card as Identification for Real ID

Post by drawpoker »

Yes, you're fine.

What they are saying is no photocopies - bring original documents of everything.

For women who have been married several times, this is a real hassle :annoyed It meant going to the safe deposit box and hauling out certified court copies of both marriage and divorce decrees. Since they are also insisting on certified copies of birth certificates, the names wouldn't match.
theplayer11

Post by theplayer11 »

in CT a W2 issued within last 5 years can be used..is every state different?
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

drawpoker wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:23 am Yes, you're fine.

What they are saying is no photocopies - bring original documents of everything.

For women who have been married several times, this is a real hassle :annoyed It meant going to the safe deposit box and hauling out certified court copies of both marriage and divorce decrees. Since they are also insisting on certified copies of birth certificates, the names wouldn't match.
A passport is accepted -- a birth certificate isn't necessary.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
drawpoker

Post by drawpoker »

jebmke wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:34 am
It is when you don't have a passport!
Ron
Location: Allentown–Bethlehem–Easton, PA-NJ Metropolitan Statistical Area

Post by Ron »

drawpoker wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:23 am Yes, you're fine.

Correct. As quoted in the PA document checklist "If you are using a passport as your proof of identity and your passport reflects your current name, YOU DO NOT NEED TO SHOW PROOF OF NAME CHANGE".
rkhusky

Post by rkhusky »

I didn’t need to bring my SS card, just birth certificate.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Ron wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:48 am Correct. As quoted in the PA document checklist "If you are using a passport as your proof of identity and your passport reflects your current name, YOU DO NOT NEED TO SHOW PROOF OF NAME CHANGE".
Yes; I would guess that a lot of people can find their passport (if they have one) faster than they can find their birth cert. I didn't even have a copy of my birth certificate until I was 50. But I have had a passport nearly my entire life. I got burned once when I had mistakenly put my PP in our safe deposit box. Sure enough, on a Saturday, I got a call from my boss saying I needed to be on a plane to be in xyz country in time for a Monday morning meeting.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
rterickson

Post by rterickson »

In California, birth certificates and passports are called Identity Documents.

You also need a separate Social Security Document such as original SS Card, W-2 or pay stub (with full SSN listed).

Then you need 2 Proof of Residency Documents (insurance, medical, utility, etc.).
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

Canopus wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:04 am Am preparing to apply for a Real ID-compliant driver license. One of the requirements is that I submit my original Social Security card as part of the identity-verification process.

Many years ago, at the time that I applied for Social Security, the card that I was issued was a blank template on which both my name and my newly-assigned SS number were typed by the processing agent. I still have that card in my possession.

I believe that the current practice involves newly-issued SS cards having a pre-printed number on the face of the card (may be wrong about this).

Question: Will the card that I was issued meet the identity-verification requirements for Real ID compliance?

Canopus
What state are you in? You should check that state's requirements. For example, in Tennessee (my state), proof of Social Security number can be one of
  • Social Security card
  • W-2 or 1099 from some time in the last 12 months
  • payroll check stub
There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way. (Christopher Morley)
Sunflower

Post by Sunflower »

I'm going through this now. I requested a birth certificate and was denied because the first name is different. I use my middle name, so EVERY document I have has my middle name listed first (including very old high school ID's). Luckily, it seems that an expired passport is accepted. I'll find out soon.

It seems I'm going to have to legally change my name to the name I've used my entire life and get a new birth certificate. I'm terrified this may lead to problems with Social Security down the road. The name I use is listed and signed on the card, but I don't know if my birth certificate first name is on record (which I use as a middle name) and will cause problems later.

Ugh!

Edit: I mean an expired passport is accepted as proof of citizenship for a new passport. From there I can apply for a real ID, if I want (and I do).
Lexi

Post by Lexi »

If you have a passport, why not just get a passport card to use as your Real ID?
One government agency to deal with.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Lexi wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:22 pm If you have a passport, why not just get a passport card to use as your Real ID?
One government agency to deal with.
I suppose you can do that. Having your DL certified takes minutes. I was just into our local MV location this last Thursday and I was in and out in under 10 minutes.
whomever

Post by whomever »

"..is every state different?"

Maybe. For example, here in WA a friend recently reported that he took in his original paper SSA card, and was told he needed to bring in a new one with security features.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

whomever wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:47 pm in WA a friend recently reported that he took in his original paper SSA card, and was told he needed to bring in a new one with security features.
Maybe he looks shady. 8-)

In MD, they accepted my card - which has to be at least 55 years old and been through the laundry multiple times. Maybe since I am older they figure I'm harmless.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

Depends on the state and even the person at the DMV.

Several people I know gave up, including my mom and my wife. Both had more than the required things and they wanted their pet thing. Going in with a passport, original ss card, property tax bill with name on it, original marriage certificate, original birth certificate wasn't enough to get my wife a real id. They specifically wanted an electric bill, which I guess was their pet thing. The bill's in my name only. No real id.

I didn't bother. Online license renewal, non real. I hear I have to have a real id by some due date. I don't know why. I have a passport to fly.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

I think the states have to meet a certain date to qualify for some Federal funding. Our IDs have been "real" for a while without the back-end data. The process for us is just for them to click the box in the data that goes to the Feds. No change to physical ID required.
rkhusky

Post by rkhusky »

whomever wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:47 pm "..is every state different?"

Maybe. For example, here in WA a friend recently reported that he took in his original paper SSA card, and was told he needed to bring in a new one with security features.
Back when I got mine I was told (or read) that the SS card was not for identification. So why does it need security features? I assumed that you only needed it if you forgot your number.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

rkhusky wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:26 pm...Back when I got mine I was told (or read) that the SS card was not for identification. So why does it need security features? I assumed that you only needed it if you forgot your number...
I think that changed. I am from the era when the card actually said right on it "For Social Security Purposes--Not For Identification." (When the program was originally created, conservatives were adamantly opposed to any kind of national identification card). I get hot under the collar about SSN being used for identification, too, but it doesn't do me any good to stew about it.

I just went through the process and I have to say I found producing the required identification to be surprisingly difficult. Four forms were required, each for slightly different purposes, and none could be used to satisfy more than one requirement even if it had the necessary information for more than one requirement on it. Many of the qualifying documents need to be less than sixty days old. One of them was "checking account statement including cancelled checks" which is odd since banks haven't sent me canceled checks in over a decade.

I almost got hung up and needed to make a second trip because it suggested "1099s" for one of the requirements, and none of the four I grabbed from my tax folder and brought with me were any good because--I hadn't noticed this--they only had the last four digits of my SSN on them.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
theplayer11

Post by theplayer11 »

my daughter just received her real ID last week in CT..no problem
what she brought in:
-Passport
-Current driver's license
-2018 W2
2 proof of residency documents
-cable bill
-renter's policy

so, no birth certificate or SS card needed
MikeG62

Post by MikeG62 »

In NJ you need documents which add up to nine points. Two points come from proving your residential address (requires two separate items), one point from proving your of SS # (see below) and six points from a long list of other items (don’t think you can reuse any of the documents used to prove residential address or proof of SS #).

For proof of SS#, they require any one of the following:

1. SS Card
2. W2 Issued within the last year
3. Pay Stub with Name and Full SS # (presumably this also needs to have been issued within the last year)
4. 1099 issued within the last year with Full SS # on it

I lost my SS card 3 decades ago. Have never thought about or needed it since I lost it. Since I’ve been retired for four years, I can’t produce a W2 or pay stub. So that leaves a 1099, and after checking all of my 1099’s I can’t find one with my complete SS # printed on it.

Looks like I need to get a replacement SS Card if I want a Real ID license.
Real Knowledge Comes Only From Experience
abner kravitz

Post by abner kravitz »

I've been using my typed SS card for about 50 years, and it has never been an issue.

If anybody following this thread moved to SC in the last 10 years and got a license (or got your first license after 2010), you can get your Real ID online. No docs, no visit to the DMV. Just pay the fee of course. Doesn't seem like a big security upgrade, but it was convenient.
rkhusky

Post by rkhusky »

theplayer11 wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:25 pm so, no birth certificate or SS card needed
Needed the birth certificate to get the passport.
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

whomever wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:47 pm "..is every state different?"

It appears that DHS is passing the responsibility to the states to determine exactly what documentation is needed to get Real ID.

https://www.dhs.gov/real-id-public-faqs
Q: How do I get a REAL ID?

Visit your state’s driver’s licensing agency website to find out exactly what documentation is required to obtain a REAL ID. At a minimum, you must provide documentation showing: 1) Full Legal Name; 2) Date of Birth; 3) Social Security Number; 4) Two Proofs of Address of Principal Residence; and 5) Lawful Status.

States may impose additional requirements, so check with your state’s driver’s licensing agency website, before visiting them in person, for additional guidance and assistance.
There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way. (Christopher Morley)
atikovi

Post by atikovi »

drawpoker wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:37 am
It is when you don't have a passport!
I have a passport but no birth certificate. If you have a bc, why not get a passport? It lasts 10 years.
joe8d

Post by joe8d »

I just got my Real ID NYS Licence. Had to show current licence, original birth certificate,original SS card and current utility bill. BTY, that licence employs Facial Recognition Technology.
All the Best, | Joe
vested1

Post by vested1 »

abner kravitz wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:11 pm I've been using my typed SS card for about 50 years, and it has never been an issue.

If anybody following this thread moved to SC in the last 10 years and got a license (or got your first license after 2010), you can get your Real ID online. No docs, no visit to the DMV. Just pay the fee of course. Doesn't seem like a big security upgrade, but it was convenient.
My wife and I just moved to SC two months ago and had to get new DL's at the DMV here with Real ID. Part of the process is surrendering your old out of State license and having your picture taken, as well as a vision test, so I don't know how you could do that online.

BTW, my wife had no trouble using her original SS card as one of her proofs of ID, but they wouldn't accept mine. Her's was in color and official looking and mine was the old typed version. The one I had been using was one of two that was originally issued. The only one I had showed my old address of my parent's house when I was 16. Those cards were issued 51 years ago. I needed the one that showed no address, which didn't stand the test of time, so I had to return with a recent 1099 that showed my SS number in order to get my SC license with Real ID.

I now need to go to the local SS office to get a valid SS card. Funny how they accepted my SS card with the address on it when I had to visit the SS office in California to clear up an issue when I filed for spousal benefits.
abner kravitz

Post by abner kravitz »

vested1 wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:01 am
abner kravitz wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:11 pm I've been using my typed SS card for about 50 years, and it has never been an issue.

My wife and I just moved to SC two months ago and had to get new DL's at the DMV here with Real ID. Part of the process is surrendering your old out of State license and having your picture taken, as well as a vision test, so I don't know how you could do that online.

BTW, my wife had no trouble using her original SS card as one of her proofs of ID, but they wouldn't accept mine. Her's was in color and official looking and mine was the old typed version. The one I had been using was one of two that was originally issued. The only one I had showed my old address of my parent's house when I was 16. Those cards were issued 51 years ago. I needed the one that showed no address, which didn't stand the test of time, so I had to return with a recent 1099 that showed my SS number in order to get my SC license with Real ID.

I now need to go to the local SS office to get a valid SS card. Funny how they accepted my SS card with the address on it when I had to visit the SS office in California to clear up an issue when I filed for spousal benefits.
You had to have moved here AND got a license then.
gd

Post by gd »

I brought my original SS card, and I recall the processor looked at it as he made a remark about it needing to have a certain appearance, I think it was a version with columns on it. Mine did, and was printed by machine on custom-printed paper stock. Wouldn't assume yours can be used.

As a curiosity, when I asked he said my Global Entry card, which can be used as a Real ID, was not usable for obtaining a Real ID.
fru-gal

Post by fru-gal »

The web is your friend.

I saw a news article this morning about the deadline to have a real id on order to fly in the US being sometime in 2020 and grubbed around and found a dmv exhaustive list and description of what my state requires to issue one. All this my state blah blah stuff here is irrelevant to others.

signed,

grumpy this morning
Steelersfan

Post by Steelersfan »

As mentioned, every state is different. My state was late to issuing Real Id's so the lines to get one were long and it took about an hour - one line to verify I had the right documents, a second to fill out state forms, a third to get a picture taken and the driver's license issued.

My state requires:

1. Original birth certificate
2. Original Social Security card. I had lost mine so I had to get a replacement. That took a trip to the SS office and a different hour
3. Proof of residence - a utility bill was OK. I happened to have my address on the piece of paper the replacement SS card came on and that was OK too.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

fru-gal wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:06 am All this my state blah blah stuff here is irrelevant to others.
it isn't irrelevant as long as people identify the state when they say "my state." Others from the same state might benefit from the experience.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

There are a lot of ORs in the list of required documents. Some states may not accept a laminated SS card if you've done that.

Just to be sure I treated the list as ANDs then showed up at the Department of Motor Vehicles with about a dozen different card and documents with at least one backup in each category just to be prepared if they deemed one to be unsatisfactory. The primaries were accepted. The staff weren't real excited about the process (a lot of extra work for them with no additional staffing).
Warning: I am about 80% satisficer (accepting of good enough) and 20% maximizer
HueyLD

Post by HueyLD »

Steelersfan wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:37 am As mentioned, every state is different. My state was late to issuing Real Id's so the lines to get one were long and it took about an hour - one line to verify I had the right documents, a second to fill out state forms, a third to get a picture taken and the driver's license issued.

My state requires:

2. Original Social Security card. I had lost mine so I had to get a replacement. That took a trip to the SS office and a different hour
3. Proof of residence - a utility bill was OK. I happened to have my address on the piece of paper the replacement SS card came on and that was OK too.
Item #1 is needed to prove one's birthday. However, in this great melting pot country of ours, there are a lot of citizens and permanent residents born outside of the U.S. And there are always other acceptable forms of ID to prove one's birthday because the DMV folks may not be able to read all those foreign language birth certificates.
Steelersfan

Post by Steelersfan »

HueyLD wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:11 am
Steelersfan wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:37 am As mentioned, every state is different. My state was late to issuing Real Id's so the lines to get one were long and it took about an hour - one line to verify I had the right documents, a second to fill out state forms, a third to get a picture taken and the driver's license issued.

My state requires:

Item #1 is needed to prove one's birthday. However, in this great melting pot country of ours, there are a lot of citizens and permanent residents born outside of the U.S. And there are always other acceptable forms of ID to prove one's birthday because the DMV folks may not be able to read all those foreign language birth certificates.
You're right. I could have presented a current passport but mine had expired and I haven't decided if I need to get a new one.

If born outside of the U.S., there are several other documents allowed which show your identity and are a legal resident. Interesting, a foreign birth certificate does not make any list.
ClaycordJCA

Post by ClaycordJCA »

rterickson wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 2:29 pm In California, birth certificates and passports are called Identity Documents.

You also need a separate Social Security Document such as original SS Card, W-2 or pay stub (with full SSN listed).

Then you need 2 Proof of Residency Documents (insurance, medical, utility, etc.).
Paystub won’t work. CA law limits SSN on a paystub to the last four digits.
Norton750

Post by Norton750 »

A few more gotchas that I noted (in Massachusetts):

- They won't accept a laminated SS card (I had considered laminating mine at one point to preserve it).

- Some proof of address documents needed to be 90 days old or less. This requirement was not spelled out on all of the different lists I saw for what was needed in MA.

- And as others have noted, many documents no longer print your entire SS #.

The good news is that AAA members in MA can get it done at an AAA office. Since there were news stories about the registry back-ups, I chose this route. The clerk there estimated that close to half of the people he saw did not have a complete set of documents, for various reasons.
clip651

Post by clip651 »

For those that need a replacement social security card, it can be requested online in many states:

https://www.ssa.gov/myaccount/replacement-card.html

This may be helpful if your card is lost, old, laminated, or for whatever other reason deemed unacceptable by the folks checking documents for Real ID.

Personally, I think it is also worth going to the trouble to continue to keep your passport renewed, even if you're not planning on international travel. I think it is easier to renew it if it hasn't been lapsed for too long. If you keep the passport up to date, you can skip the Real ID thing, apparently, since it seems a passport (or passport card) will work in most (all?) of the places where you might need to show a Real ID.

cj
THY4373

Post by THY4373 »

I am just going to use my Global Entry card at least until I have to go into renew my existing DL.

Edit: And one thing I find interesting is VA at least is requiring a whole bunch of stuff that wasn't required for either my passport or Global Entry. It was actually easier for me to get both of those than it would be a VA issued Real ID.
Last edited by THY4373 on Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dm200

Need for Real ID

Post by dm200 »

[Thread merged into here, see below. --admin LadyGeek]

In about a year, there will be more stringent ID requirements to board flights in the US. I tend to believe that a great number of folks could be in for an unpleasant surprise - when turned away.

The most common form of ID used for boarding flights (as best I understand) is a state drivers license. HOWEVER, at least in our state of Virginia, even newly issued or renewed drivers licenses may not be acceptable as "Real ID". When my wife and I renewed out Virginia drivers licenses earlier this year, we had a choice of a REAL ID one or not. The REAL ID version coast $10 MORE - and we chose to pay the $10 extra so we could use it for boarding flights.
drawpoker

Post by drawpoker »

Norton750 wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:26 pm They won't accept a laminated SS card (I had considered laminating mine at one point to preserve it).
Am glad to hear - although you considered a life of crime - :shock: you turned yourself around and did the right thing.

Laminating SS card is against the law! The offenders should be punished severely! There is no excuse for such behavior, disregard for decency, the moral decay.

Makes me feel terrible just to think about it :P :P :P :P
Steelersfan

Post by Steelersfan »

clip651 wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:27 pm For those that need a replacement social security card, it can be requested online in many states:

https://www.ssa.gov/myaccount/replacement-card.html

This may be helpful if your card is lost, old, laminated, or for whatever other reason deemed unacceptable by the folks checking documents for Real ID.
I tried multiple times to order a replacement online and could never get the system to accept whatever I put in. That's why I had to visit my local SS office. Hopefully others will have been luck. Or more skill.

The state I currently live in and the one where I got my original SS card are both on the eligible list.
jebmke

Re: Need for Real ID

Post by jebmke »

There is an existing long thread on a related topic of documentation. If you have a passport, the airport should accept that. I would guess that VA will fall in line eventually and qualifying DLs will be the only thing they issue. MD has been issuing these for a while now without the back end document certification. Once I brought in the docs, they check off a box in the database which will keep me from being rejected at the AP.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

I, too, live in Virginia, but don't need to replace my driver's license yet. I might do it, anyway.
- Do you think my U.S. Passport, the current driver's license, and the apartment lease would be sufficient?
- By how many years do they extend the driver's license?
- Are the lines at the DMV long?

Thank you,

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
dm200

Post by dm200 »

jebmke wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:03 pm There is an existing long thread on a related topic of documentation. If you have a passport, the airport should accept that. I would guess that VA will fall in line eventually and qualifying DLs will be the only thing they issue. MD has been issuing these for a while now without the back end document certification. Once I brought in the docs, they check off a box in the database which will keep me from being rejected at the AP.
We shall see??
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I merged dm200's thread into the on-going discussion.
jebmke wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:03 pm There is an existing long thread on a related topic of documentation. If you have a passport, the airport should accept that. I would guess that VA will fall in line eventually and qualifying DLs will be the only thing they issue. MD has been issuing these for a while now without the back end document certification. Once I brought in the docs, they check off a box in the database which will keep me from being rejected at the AP.
Do you have a link to the thread? I couldn't find it.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

dm200 wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:04 pm
We shall see??
I think there is Federal money at stake if you don't comply. I'd have to check but I remember it was a big deal when they extended the deadline for VA.
drawpoker

Post by drawpoker »

jebmke wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:03 pm ..... MD has been issuing these for a while now without the back end document certification. Once I brought in the docs, they check off a box in the database which will keep me from being rejected at the AP.
In addition, the MVA office should have given you a document called "Real ID Document Receipt" that shows your license # with the message:
"This confirms that the MDOT MVA now has all of your federally required documents on file. Your Maryland product is now Real ID Compliant and will be accepted for all federal purposes"

This is just printed out on regular letter size paper. Wish they had put it on a wallet size card instead, more practical. They advise you to "keep this for your records". Probably a good idea to carry it for anyone going to the airport starting next year, tho.

In Maryland, as in other places, the goof about not following the federal regs was discovered after hundreds of thousands of driver's licenses were issued with the *star* insignia reflecting compliance. Since our license renewals are now $48 :shock: I guess they decided it would be P.R. disaster and taxpayer revolt if everyone who came in to get compliant had to be issued a new license. With a different-looking star to reflect the change.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

I think the main compliance piece is that when they scan your license, it will probably get banged against a database. If you come up negative, it probably doesn't matter how many gold stars you have.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

VictoriaF wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:03 pm I, too, live in Virginia, but don't need to replace my driver's license yet. I might do it, anyway.
- Do you think my U.S. Passport, the current driver's license, and the apartment lease would be sufficient?
- By how many years do they extend the driver's license?
- Are the lines at the DMV long?

Thank you,

Victoria
Here is the link to VA DMV site. You'd want to use the official source.
https://www.dmv.virginia.gov/drivers/#real_faqs.asp

I will have four compliant IDs. I think people who travel by air should have at least two (just in case).
Warning: I am about 80% satisficer (accepting of good enough) and 20% maximizer