Help With New Car Purchase - Macan S versus...

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
corn18

Re: Help With New Car Purchase - Macan S versus...

Post by corn18 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:05 pm

We started with the same list a few months ago. Actually, I started with the Mazda CX-5 as that met all her requirements and was budget friendly. But she did not like it when she drove it.

She drove all of the cars on your list and chose the X3 30i. Her reasoning was "it felt right". I convinced her that we needed the M40i version for towing a camper and she was ok with that. I added adaptive suspension as well, and she liked that. And we got a 2020 version that has an updated engine and iDrive 7.

They are all great. Just buy the one that your wife likes and you will be happy, too.
Don't do something, just stand there!

Kern44

Post by Kern44 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:25 pm

Wait for the upcoming Corvette SUV

Morgan Dollar 1921

Post by Morgan Dollar 1921 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:28 pm

Kern44 wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:25 pm
Wait for the upcoming Corvette SUV
I laughed but it could happen!

yogesh

Post by yogesh » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:15 pm

Two Macan's in a household? Porsche family
Emergency: FDIC | Taxable: VTMFX | Retirement: TR2040

willardx

Post by willardx » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:23 pm

My mom totaled her RX350 (I think, it was the hybrid version) over a year ago and my parents haven't replaced it yet because they hate the design of the current Lexus models. They are making do with an old Lexus LS and an uncomfortable Toyota 4Runner until they decide they can stomach another Lexus model.

I wonder if I can convince them to buy a Macan?

Tracker968

Post by Tracker968 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:42 am

I drove a base Macan when my 911 was being serviced. I was underwhelmed. Had a Jeep Grand Cherokee years ago and it was one of the best cars I have owned. Have ridden in my neighbor's new Grand Cherokee and it will probably be the vehicle to replace my pickup truck in a few years. I suggest you take a look at them.

emoore

Post by emoore » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:28 am

I think Porsche has said that the next Macan will be all electric so you might want to wait for that if you are going to get a Macan. It would mean that the ICE Macan's will be obsolete. Not sure what that will mean to service especially if you keep the car 10+ years.

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:54 am

emoore wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:28 am
I think Porsche has said that the next Macan will be all electric so you might want to wait for that if you are going to get a Macan. It would mean that the ICE Macan's will be obsolete. Not sure what that will mean to service especially if you keep the car 10+ years.
Over the next 1-4 years there are going to be a zillion compact electric suvs (Model Y, q4 etron, macan, BMW iX3,EQC, Polestar 3, and so on). The only shipping option that I am aware of is the iPace. There will always be something new around the corner and you have to decide if it is worth waiting for or not.

Car makers change engines, electronics, body panels, transmissions and so on on a regular basis during model refreshes. Have you ever had problems servicing your "obsolete" car? Parts and service aren't going to be remotely an issue with a car you buy today. If you want to own this car in 10+ years might be a different story.