Vanguard PAS initial consultation

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
Jill546

Vanguard PAS initial consultation

Post by Jill546 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:10 pm

I am a single, middle-aged federal worker retiring in a little under 20 years from now. How should I prepare for my first meeting with Vanguard PAS? What questions should I ask? I'm considering them or Betterment Premium (the one that comes with a CFP). I have no interest in managing my own finances. Thanks in advance.

mhalley

Re: Vanguard PAS initial consultation

Post by mhalley » Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:54 pm

this site has some good questions to ask
https://www.capitalgroup.com/individual ... ional.html
Since it is with vanguard, you don't have to worry about the fiduciary, cost of advice, cost of funds, etc types of questions. You already know what kind of strategy they will use, etc.
You might ask when to take ss.

GmanJeff

Post by GmanJeff » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:34 am

The initial meeting is intended, in part, to allow PAS to develop a portfolio proposal for you. To do that, you'll want to provide your financial goals, time lines, and risk tolerance, as well as some description of assets you might not be planning to place under management (such as TSP assets), as well as those you do anticipate moving to PAS.

The PAS platform relies on your anticipated annual expenses and income to make projections for the future, so having that information available will also likely be helpful.

PAS is not going to analyze Social Security claiming strategies for you in such an initial meeting, but can do so once you are enrolled.

daheld

Post by daheld » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:37 am

GmanJeff wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:34 am
The initial meeting is intended, in part, to allow PAS to develop a portfolio proposal for you. To do that, you'll want to provide your financial goals, time lines, and risk tolerance, as well as some description of assets you might not be planning to place under management (such as TSP assets), as well as those you do anticipate moving to PAS.

The PAS platform relies on your anticipated annual expenses and income to make projections for the future, so having that information available will also likely be helpful.

PAS is not going to analyze Social Security claiming strategies for you in such an initial meeting, but can do so once you are enrolled.
This is good advice. I'm also a fed and my wife and I also use PAS. Specific to the TSP, you should have an idea of how much $$ you have in TSP and it's asset allocation. This will help PAS as they build your portfolio. They'll take it into account when determining overall AA. We have been happy with PAS thus far.

Topic Author
Jill546

Post by Jill546 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:00 pm

Thank you everyone for the helpful advice.

Daheld,

Does PAS give you advice on what funds to use in your TSP account? Does PAS also take your pension into account when recommending asset allocation? Thanks again.

CedarWaxWing

Post by CedarWaxWing » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:27 pm

Your anticipated amounts you plan on adding to your taxable and tax protected account in the future would be one more thing to have thought out before the first meeting if possible.

daheld

Post by daheld » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:35 pm

Jill546 wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:00 pm
Thank you everyone for the helpful advice.

Daheld,

Does PAS give you advice on what funds to use in your TSP account? Does PAS also take your pension into account when recommending asset allocation? Thanks again.
1. I have never asked about TSP recommendations, but I am going to guess there's essentially no chance they'll give you any advice on TSP investing. I keep it simple and use TSP Lifecycle funds.
2. Yes, they will take pensions into account. You are likely a FERS employee and will get ~30% of your high 3 salary, so as long as you can give a reasonable estimate of your high 3 salary upon retirement, you can give them an educated guess as to what your yearly pension might be. They'll also take SS into account.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:39 pm

Jill546 wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:00 pm
These are excellent questions to ask in your initial consultation. :)
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.