Best drywall Anchors for hanging curtains

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
BashDash

Best drywall Anchors for hanging curtains

Post by BashDash » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:00 pm

Hi all,
Thanks for your recent help with my keyboard thread. I have had poor luck hanging my curtains lately as they are sagging/loose. Have tried to find a stud to screw into but in some locations it is not possible. Can anyone recommend a simple sturdy anchor for drywall for this. ? Thanks!

RickBoglehead

Re: Best drywall Anchors for hanging curtains

Post by RickBoglehead » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:06 pm

Google?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHb-Tcvkn7M

Weight ratings discussed, as well as damage they cause when you remove them.

Expansion anchors are the cheapest, threaded anchors hold more, then molly bolts, then toggle bolts. I cannot imagine why a threaded anchor would not be more than adequate, or even an expansion anchor with a hole properly sized and the screw not over tightened.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

sk2101

Post by sk2101 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:09 pm

These are pretty good. Have used them even to hang shelves with excellent results. Available at Home Depot.

Post by 123 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:58 pm

I used a product similar to that recommended by sk2101 to anchor hooks for heavy pictures. The product I used required that you pre-drill a hole in the drywall. The product has a metal anchor with a small spring that sprang open when it cleared the drywall. Since the drilled hole had to be a little larger than the bolt itself I found that using a couple of metal washers caused them to anchor better without eating into the drywall as they were tightened up.

There could be some situations where drapes on curtain rods could exert quite a bit of force on something that is just affixed to the drywall. In some cases it may be better to over engineer the curtain rod bracketing to ensure that there is some solid connection to studs as part of the set-up.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

megabad

Post by megabad » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:32 pm

BashDash wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:00 pm
Hi all,
Thanks for your recent help with my keyboard thread. I have had poor luck hanging my curtains lately as they are sagging/loose. Have tried to find a stud to screw into but in some locations it is not possible. Can anyone recommend a simple sturdy anchor for drywall for this. ? Thanks!
I mean you can always use drywall anchors but I am not sure I get how you can't find a stud? These are windows right? There is framing around them right? I would just run my screw right into it. They run all the way up to the ceiling (assuming they were put in correctly).

I hate that the previous homeowner used anchors. I had to rip them all out and patch them and it took forever. On mine, there are just a couple tiny screw holes. The anchors leave craters when removed by comparison.

texasdiver

Post by texasdiver » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:53 pm

I've found the snap-toggle style drywall anchors to be the strongest for that sort of thing. But you would need to use the bolts that come with them rather than screws so it may not work for your specific application. They are easy to find at Home Depot and Lowes but here they are on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/12-TOGGLER-SNAPT ... B01IU6HG48

IMO

Post by IMO » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:23 am

megabad wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:32 pm
BashDash wrote:
Hi all,
I mean you can always use drywall anchors but I am not sure I get how you can't find a stud? These are windows right? There is framing around them right? I would just run my screw right into it. They run all the way up to the ceiling (assuming they were put in correctly).

I hate that the previous homeowner used anchors. I had to rip them all out and patch them and it took forever. On mine, there are just a couple tiny screw holes. The anchors leave craters when removed by comparison.
Unfortunately, often times when your hanging curtains the brackets have to go in a certain place and very often, there are no studs in the spot your need (ask me how I know).

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:12 am

For when a wall stud is not available.

Steel sleeve anchors. Will not pull out.
Predrill to minimize backside drywall crack, etc.

Curtain rod brackets have a lot of leverage stress so they have to fastened securely.

j :happy
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:19 am

megabad wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:32 pm
BashDash wrote:
Hi all,

Agreed.
I've had a lot of DIY "helpful" tenants put things into the walls. "Arrgh!"

Butterfly type anchors that can't be removed can be punched in about 1/8 - 3/16 of an inch and patched over so as not to destroy the drywall.

j :happy
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

kjsammy

Post by kjsammy » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:43 am

Kwik hang will work for some. No plaster damage.

https://kwikhang.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChM ... gLlVPD_BwE

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:46 am

It depends on how heavy the curtains are, how many brackets there are and how many screw holes per bracket. Yesterday I hung a new rod for curtains 10' tall and 9' wide. There were three brackets (each end and center support) with two screw each. I used the included cheap plastic anchors and it is fine. Also keep in mind there is additional stress beyond the weight of the curtains when you yank them to open or close them.

The anchors recommended by sk2101 are good and won't leave a big hole.

daheld

Post by daheld » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:49 am

texasdiver wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:53 pm
I've found the snap-toggle style drywall anchors to be the strongest for that sort of thing. But you would need to use the bolts that come with them rather than screws so it may not work for your specific application. They are easy to find at Home Depot and Lowes but here they are on Amazon.

We bought a house a bit ago and after doing a partial bathroom reno, I was going to change the towel rod/holder to match other finishes. It was anchored into the wall with something similar to this. I was blown away at how strong these dang things were. After figuring out what was going on and realizing I'd never get the brackets off the wall without ripping an 8" hole, I taped everything off and spray painted the rod with hammered chrome and called it a day.

Luke Duke

Post by Luke Duke » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:52 am

I would not hang curtains with drywall anchors. Either find a stud or get some plantation shutters.

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:44 am

kjsammy wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:43 am

Most builder grade trim is barely held on with weak trim nails. Hammering these in would probably pop it free.

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:46 am

daheld wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:49 am
texasdiver wrote:

We bought a house a bit ago and after doing a partial bathroom reno, I was going to change the towel rod/holder to match other finishes. It was anchored into the wall with something similar to this. I was blown away at how strong these dang things were. After figuring out what was going on and realizing I'd never get the brackets off the wall without ripping an 8" hole, I taped everything off and spray painted the rod with hammered chrome and called it a day.
Youd probably just want to push them into the wall vs trying to remove them. Thats how the butterfly toggles work.

wilked

Post by wilked » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:21 am

michaeljc70 wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:46 am
It depends on how heavy the curtains are, how many brackets there are and how many screw holes per bracket. Yesterday I hung a new rod for curtains 10' tall and 9' wide. There were three brackets (each end and center support) with two screw each. I used the included cheap plastic anchors and it is fine. Also keep in mind there is additional stress beyond the weight of the curtains when you yank them to open or close them.

The anchors recommended by sk2101 are good and won't leave a big hole.
Curtain weight is one factor. Another is the weight of the child pulling on the curtains - that is your 'design case'.

And for those that don't have kids, I am sure that at some point in the next year someone will visit with kids. Toddlers are notorious for this

Topic Author
BashDash

Post by BashDash » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:31 am

Wow those Kwik hang brackets look amazing! Simple! Ate they too good to be true? Reviews look good on Amazon

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:40 am

BashDash wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:31 am
Wow those Kwik hang brackets look amazing! Simple! Ate they too good to be true? Reviews look good on Amazon
In the video they show two kids that aren't that small hanging from the curtains. Yet in the FAQ they say the brackets can hold up to 20 pounds (and that includes the rod, curtain and kids?). The brackets are also not attractive in my view. As another poster pointed out trim is usually attach using thin brads from a gun. I think it would be fine for most curtains, but not anything excessive. It might be good for rentals where you don't want to make holes in the walls or if you have no DIY skills. You also cannot adjust the height by moving the bracket up or down.

megabad

Post by megabad » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:21 pm

kjsammy wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:43 am

Never knew people had trim around windows until I saw this. I have never had any trim around windows in any house or apt I have ever lived in. Maybe I have just always lived in low end apartments and houses? I have crown molding and base board and trim around doors but nothing around windows.

bradpevans

Post by bradpevans » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:58 pm

texasdiver wrote:

We hung a 65" TV on these, and also a heavy three-axis wall mount. super solid. No need for studs. Overkill for curtains.
Ours required a 1/2" inch hole if that makes any difference (i.e. if you sell / remove / etc)

FlyAF

Post by FlyAF » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:14 pm

bradpevans wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:58 pm
texasdiver wrote:

We hung a 65" TV on these, and also a heavy three-axis wall mount. super solid. No need for studs. Overkill for curtains.
Ours required a 1/2" inch hole if that makes any difference (i.e. if you sell / remove / etc)
You hung a 65" tv w/o a single fastener in a stud? All drywall anchors? Wow

Edit to add: Why?

michaelingp

Post by michaelingp » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:42 pm

FlyAF wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:14 pm

While I would never do it myself, and every manufacturer of TV wall mounts says don't do it, a 65" TV only weighs 52 pounds (Samsung anyway). The spec for that anchor says "up to 80 pounds", so if you used, say, 4 of them, it's not as crazy as it sounds. OK it sounds crazy to me, but I wouldn't tell anybody it wouldn't work.

megabad

Post by megabad » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:22 pm

michaelingp wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:42 pm
FlyAF wrote:

While I would never do it myself, and every manufacturer of TV wall mounts says don't do it, a 65" TV only weighs 52 pounds (Samsung anyway). The spec for that anchor says "up to 80 pounds", so if you used, say, 4 of them, it's not as crazy as it sounds. OK it sounds crazy to me, but I wouldn't tell anybody it wouldn't work.
I would never use them, but I suppose as long as you have a very wide, very flat mounting plate it I don't see a reason why these wouldn't work. If your plate is not level and you put all the weight on one or two toggles, you would technically be over the safe working limit (20 lbs each) though. That said, I probably wouldn't mount an arm mount this way. I would expect the added moment would greatly increase the odds of failure. If I did this, I would have my drywall patch and mud ready and I would buy a very very cheap TV.

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:38 pm

When I hung curtains, first I screwed a 1/2"x 4" x width of window board into the studs above the window. The bottom of the board was flush with the top of the window opening. The rod holders were screwed into the wooden plank.

Some curtains are very heavy, and I didn't want a typical wall anchor to pull out.

And, no curtain rods ever had any problems staying in place.

Now we have no curtains, strictly blinds.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

GrowthSeeker

Post by GrowthSeeker » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:44 pm

I have used the Snaptoggle several times.
There are different sizes, AFAIK, the smallest is called size "BA".
The screw can be any machine screw which is 3/16" - 24 (outer diameter of threads is 3/16 inch; 24 threads per inch). This is also called a 10-24 machine screw. The lenth should be the length you need to go through your thing you're hanging plus the thickness of the wall plus 1/2 inch (or longer). These come with a 3 inch long screw that does the trick.
Very very strong. Good if there is already a hole that has been stripped out. Note; you need to drill a pretty big hole to put this in: 1/2 inch diameter. This is the one to use if you have lath-and-plaster walls rather than drywall, most others won't work on lath-and-plaster.
http://www.toggler.com/products/snaptog ... _specs.php

There is also a similarly named but quite different product called "Toggler" from the same company (which I've also used). These work well too, lots of sizes, and you need different sizes for different thicknesses of drywall. These mostly need a 5/16" hole. And again you need to be able to make the provided screw work with your application. One good feature of these guys is you can use the same anchor whether you drill through drywall, like you expected, or whether you hit a stud.
http://www.toggler.com/products/plastic ... erview.php
And to make it more confusing, I think the Snaptoggle is also called the "Toggler Snaptoggle".
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you.

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:48 pm

michaelingp wrote:
FlyAF wrote:

I bet if you look closely you'll see that's 80lbs of shear load, not tension. A 55lb TV will put a lot of tension on the upper fasteners and compression on the lower if you have an extendable mount and pull the TV out to get behind it. Even if the drywall anchor is good for that load, the drywall can pull off overdriven drywall screws at much lower loads. You risk ripping a giant chunk of drywall out, not the fasteners.

Teague

Post by Teague » Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:18 pm

barnaclebob wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:48 pm
michaelingp wrote:
FlyAF wrote:

I bet if you look closely you'll see that's 80lbs of shear load, not tension. A 55lb TV will put a lot of tension on the upper fasteners and compression on the lower if you have an extendable mount and pull the TV out to get behind it. Even if the drywall anchor is good for that load, the drywall can pull off overdriven drywall screws at much lower loads. You risk ripping a giant chunk of drywall out, not the fasteners.
Wow honey, that home renovation channel sure looks realistic!
Semper Augustus

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:42 pm

barnaclebob wrote:
michaelingp wrote:
FlyAF wrote:

+1

I don't see how you cannot hit at least one stud unless the mount is poorly designed. On a smaller tv (40") in the bedroom the articulating mount was small where it connected to the wall. I used a 1x10 board that I painted the same color as the wall and mounted that behind where the tv would be to the studs. Then I screwed the mount into that. This can work well depending on placement in the room (in some situations you could see the board but in my case it is over a dresser and you'd never see it).

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:06 pm

I keep a supply of these around and use them for just about everything unless I happen to hit a stud (which is not typical). They are the most reliable that I've found by far......

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Hillman-3-8 ... /202243047

You drill a hole, fold the end together and push it through the hole, and then use the yellow tool to pop the arms out behind the drywall. The supplied screw then draws it up further so the anchor is solid - very solid.

Read the package carefully before buying these because the size you need can be a bit deceptive. As I recall a 3/8" length is required for both 3/8" or 1/2" drywall. A 5/8" fits 5/8" drywall. But don't take my word for it, check the package.

The standard drywall for walls in almost every home is 1/2". A garage and possibly ceilings have 5/8" drywall (these aren't recommended for ceilings). If you put one in that is too long it won't work right. But the good news is that you can just use your drill to drill out the improper anchor, push it into the wall cavity of pull it out and use the correct length. Just be sure to use the same size drill so you still have the right size hole.

It you make a mistake in placement or move whatever you're hanging and need to patch a hole after you've drilled out the anchor just use drywall spackling compound and a putty knife to fill it in. Let the spackle dry and then put on a second coat (if necessary) and paint with touch-up paint. You'll never know where it was.

I hope this is helpful.
IGNORE the noise! | Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify. - Henry David Thoreau

bradpevans

Post by bradpevans » Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:17 pm

FlyAF wrote:
bradpevans wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:58 pm
texasdiver wrote:

Our condo has steel studs.....
I don't know if you looked at the fasteners but the require a 1/2 hole to slip the metal piece through. The metal piece is nearly three inches long. For it to fail the entire metal piece would have to pull through the entire sheet of drywall. When installed correctly the metal anchor is perpendicular to the hole and is pulled snug to the back side of the drywall. The mounting kit called for eight mounting points and we managed seven**.

**With these anchors if you mis-align the threads the metal anchor may fall off behind the drywall rather than be pulled up snug by the threads pulling into alignment.

bradpevans

Post by bradpevans » Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:22 pm

michaeljc70 wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:42 pm
barnaclebob wrote:
michaelingp wrote:
FlyAF wrote:

+1

I don't see how you cannot hit at least one stud unless the mount is poorly designed. On a smaller tv (40") in the bedroom the articulating mount was small where it connected to the wall. I used a 1x10 board that I painted the same color as the wall and mounted that behind where the tv would be to the studs. Then I screwed the mount into that. This can work well depending on placement in the room (in some situations you could see the board but in my case it is over a dresser and you'd never see it).
Our condo walls have steel studs...
These are not drywall anchors that expand but might rip out the mounting hole. There is 2-3 inches of metal pulled snug and perpendicular to the mounting hole. take a look at the images here: https://www.amazon.com/12-TOGGLER-SNAPT ... B01IU6HG48

The plans call for 8 mounting points, we were successful on seven of eight. The "missing" one had a slight misalignment of the threads and the bolt, so that one fell off the back side and drop to the floor (behind the drywall)