Overpaying Medicare Part B when first collecting Soc Sec

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
JimD7

Overpaying Medicare Part B when first collecting Soc Sec

Post by JimD7 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:16 pm

Will be collecting SS for the 1st time starting in Nov. 2019

Have been paying Medicare part B premium DIRECTLY up till now. Latest bill will overlap with the start of SS, where they start paying Medicare out of the SS benefit. So I will be paid up through DEC. 2019

Has anyone had that happen and how is it handled? Do they wait until the next Part B is actually owed before deducting it from SS, or will I have to call them up and have them adjust/ refund the overpayment?

Austintatious

Re: Overpaying Medicare Part B when first collecting Soc Sec

Post by Austintatious » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:50 pm

It seems that this happens frequently. I would anticipate that the first benefit payment will be dinged for 2 months Medicare premium since they deduct premiums in advance of the corresponding month. And that you'll subsequently receive a check for a full refund of your overpayment. Look for a letter explaining the amounts of your benefit payments to arrive shortly before your first month. It should also explain the double Medicare premium deduction from the first benefit payment. And look for a second letter, sometime after receipt of your first benefit payment, that tells you of your coming refund and further confirms your future benefit amount. At least, that's how it worked for DW's recent SS adventure. It all happened as explained by the letters, in due time.

Stinky

Post by Stinky » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:42 pm

The wheels of government grind slowly.

But eventually they’ll get your premiums squared away, almost certainly without the need of intervention by you.
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt

azianbob

Post by azianbob » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:48 pm

You pay for Medicare premiums for the quarter ahead of time. As such, you probably have a bill due in end of Sept for Oct, Nov, Dec.

The safest route is to pay the full amount by the due date on Sept.

IRS will calculate the amount you overpaid and repay you. In your case, you will be getting back $271 since starting Nov your premium will come out of your SS. This can happen as soon as October, or may take until January or later. Depends on the state of the government. It seems to process faster if you have direct deposit.

I would be okay with giving the government a $271 interest free loan for a couple months to ensure my Medicare is not cut off. When my mom did it, her refund was direct deposited into her checking the month after payment.

dollarsaver

Post by dollarsaver » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:30 pm

JimD7 wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:16 pm
Will be collecting SS for the 1st time starting in Nov. 2019

Have been paying Medicare part B premium DIRECTLY up till now. Latest bill will overlap with the start of SS, where they start paying Medicare out of the SS benefit. So I will be paid up through DEC. 2019

Has anyone had that happen and how is it handled? Do they wait until the next Part B is actually owed before deducting it from SS, or will I have to call them up and have them adjust/ refund the overpayment?
Hello, is your first SS due in Nov or Dec? I applied for SS for Nov and my first check will be in Dec. I too just paid Oct,Nov, and Dec. Medicare premiums. If first check is in Dec, I think one month premium is due back? What do you think?

testing321

Post by testing321 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:11 am

I was in this situation a few months ago. My first SS payment included my three month payment to CMS ($406.50) that I made the month before. They did this without any intervention.

Chip

Post by Chip » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:11 pm

My wife's experience in 2017:

Timeline

4/25: 3 month (May-July) Medicare Part B premium due; paid by check
5/15: First SS benefit deposit; May Medicare Part B premium deducted from payment
6/08: Refund of 3 month premium paid in April received by mail.

Topic Author
JimD7

Post by JimD7 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:00 pm

Thanks for the detailed answers. I'll just pay the Sep bill and wait for the refund

Curious, applied in july for an Oct begin date (first check Nov) , and got one phone call Aug asking about something from 20 + years ago .

That was answered , but they still show the original July processing msg as the last entry on the MY SS site, and nothing since

07/02/2019

Benefit Application Pending

We are reviewing your Retirement benefit application. A Social Security Representative may contact you directly if we need any additional documents or information.

Seems odd, that there would be no new entries in the log. Is this normal or should I give them a call as check up ?

Austintatious

Post by Austintatious » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:27 pm

JimD7 wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:00 pm
Thanks for the detailed answers. I'll just pay the Sep bill and wait for the refund

Curious, applied in july for an Oct begin date (first check Nov) , and got one phone call Aug asking about something from 20 + years ago .

That was answered , but they still show the original July processing msg as the last entry on the MY SS site, and nothing since

07/02/2019

Benefit Application Pending

We are reviewing your Retirement benefit application. A Social Security Representative may contact you directly if we need any additional documents or information.

Seems odd, that there would be no new entries in the log. Is this normal or should I give them a call as check up ?
Our experience with DW's filing for spousal benefit was similar in nature. Like you, she applied 3 months in advance, as is recommended by SS. Our assumption was that we'd hear something fairly soon. Nope. Their telephone call to verify certain information and to confirm that DW really did intend to file for spousal benefit rather than under her own record, and the so called "final approval", came very late in the game. We, too, were wondering if no news long into that 3 month period might mean there was some kind of a problem. But everything came off without a hitch. I doubt there's reason for concern with your situation but I don't think it would be a problem for you to check with them.

dowse

Post by dowse » Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:51 am

This also came up in another thread a while back.

I was in the same situation. To be on the safe side, I paid the bill, knowing that there would be a 2 month overpayment, and just let things come out in the wash. Eventually, (actually not all that long), I received a refund paper check from the US Treasury.

TBillT

Post by TBillT » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:18 am

I just got a $400 US Gov check sitting here it was my rebate for Medicare overpayment, just started taking SS restricted in Aug.
Had been expecting a 3-4 months wait for the refund, which is what we experienced in January when my wife started.