Equifax: can’t log in

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
student

Re: Equifax: can’t log in

Post by student » Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:52 pm

I clicked on the link. They did not ask for any very personal info. Just name and the credit monitoring service that you are using.

Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:06 pm

I didn’t realize I had to sign up for a credit monitoring service to get the $125.

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:08 pm

Leesbro63 wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:17 pm
...Got an email today that seemed to indicate that they were changing the deal... It appears they are trying to weasel out of the $125 that was promised earlier this summer when I signed up. Anyone else get this?
Yes, I did. I think they're trying to weasel out of any "claim for alternative compensation of up to $125."

I don't quite know what is going on but apparently the FTC let Equifax get away with a settlement that only provided enough money for $31 million / $125 = 248,000 claimants [see correction below*] and is simply going to divide up that amount among however many people made claims. They are pretending to be surprised by the "overwhelming" response, and weeping crocodile tears about how sorry they are that people are going to be disappointed. They are doing a hard-sell on how much happier you'd be with free credit monitoring, and I think this email is the first shot in an attempt to play hardball, and that this is the first of many hurdles that will be placed in the path of anyone who actually wants cash money.

Equifax Data Breach Settlement ! Federal Trade Commission
The public response to the settlement has been overwhelming. Millions of people have visited this site in just the first week. Because the total amount available for these alternative payments is $31 million, each person who takes the money option is going to get a very small amount.
The first announcement was captured by the Wayback Machine here:

Equifax Data Breach Settlement -- SUMMARY OF BENEFITS
Once the claims process begins, if you were affected by the breach, you can request... up to 10 years of free credit monitoring OR $125 if you decide not to enroll because you already have credit monitoring.
Notice that there's no hint that you might get less than $125.

I think that initial announcement was picked up by a lot of news services, who assumed that $125 meant $125, not "$31 million divided by tens of millions." There was a blizzard of news stories, with links to the claim sites, all with headlines like "don't forget to claim your $125." Not one of them indicated that $125 was a soft number.

*CORRECTION: The July 22, 2019 FTC press release says that "Equifax will add up to $125 million to the fund if the initial payment is not enough to compensate consumers for their losses." So it would seem that $156 million is available, enough to give the $125 compensation to 1.248 million consumers.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

Topic Author
3-20Characters

Post by 3-20Characters » Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:46 pm

We filed for the $125 (me and my wife) but at this point, I couldn’t care less about it. I’m happy to be able log in and get my credit unfrozen/frozen as needed. Maybe that was their evil plan all a long, :twisted:

njuser

Post by njuser » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:10 am

I also like the free freeze/unfreeze feature I have now. I make good use of it.

goaties

Post by goaties » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:56 am

I just discovered something about the mysterious "can't log in" problem. If I use Firefox, I get the usual "password is incorrect" or whatever it says. However, if I use Microsoft Edge, I can log in with no problem!

Hope this is of use to someone.

Topic Author
3-20Characters

Post by 3-20Characters » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:08 am

goaties wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:56 am
I just discovered something about the mysterious "can't log in" problem. If I use Firefox, I get the usual "password is incorrect" or whatever it says. However, if I use Microsoft Edge, I can log in with no problem!

It proves that equifax IT is a hot mess. I tried several browsers—including mobile and desktop (but not Microsoft Edge). All failed. Someone reported success limiting the password string (repeating characters or some such thing). I tried that and it didn’t work for me. Even the phone/PIN option is seriously compromised. It worked for me a while back but when I tried recently, it could not conform my identity. Yes, I know my PIN and answered all questions carefully and correctly.

I finally figured what works for me to log in but it’s no guarantee that it will work for anyone else—or continue to work down the road. Equifax, if they know the golden recipe, aren’t saying. The only advice CS gives is to wait 24 hours after account lock out and try again. Pathetic!

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:20 am

goaties wrote:

That's... disgusting. Slightly curious: can you log in with Chrome?

I don't mind that much if a website doesn't work with Apple Safari, but there's no excuse for not supporting Firefox.

(Firefox is highly standards-compliant, available on every popular platform with very high cross-compatibility--I've never encountered a site that worked with Firefox on Windows but not with Firefox on Mac OS, and very popular--with many corporate IT departments, and many more-or-less "public" facilities like public libraries or hotel "business centers.")

One of life's little mysteries is that if a website detects that I'm using Safari and gives me a warning, suggesting other browsers... it always works just fine with Safari. While the websites that don't work with Safari never say so. The explanation, I think, is that if a site issues a warning, it means that the IT department was being careful about browser compatibility and actually did SQA on more than one browser--and that if they got their site to work on several browsers, they probably have good standards compliance and thus probably do work on Safari.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

Topic Author
3-20Characters

Post by 3-20Characters » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:27 am

nisiprius wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:20 am
goaties wrote:

That's... disgusting. Just for laughs, can you log in using Microsoft Internet Explorer?

I don't mind that much if a website doesn't work with Apple Safari, but there's no excuse for not supporting Firefox.

(Firefox is highly standards-compliant, available on every popular platform with very high cross-compatibility--I've never encountered a site that worked with Firefox on Windows but not with Firefox on Mac OS, and very popular--with many corporate IT departments, and many more-or-less "public" facilities like public libraries or hotel "business centers.")

One of life's little mysteries is that if a website detects that I'm using Safari and gives me a warning, suggesting other browsers... it always works just fine with Safari. While the websites that don't work with Safari never say so. The explanation, I think, is that if a site issues a warning, it means that the IT department was being careful about browser compatibility and actually did SQA on more than one browser--and that if they got their site to work on several browsers, they probably have good standards compliance and thus probably do work on Safari.
I don’t find nearly as many Safari incompatible websites as a few years ago—and that includes mobile Safari. In fact, hardly any. But I do have Firefox updated on my Mac just in case. I can confirm that I couldn’t log in to equifax using Firefox.

90south

Post by 90south » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:08 pm

I don't post much, but this login problem with Equifax has been annoying me. I don't really want the login but I wanted to capture it to prevent possible fraud.

Three days ago, using chrome, I reset my password, created a much simpler password that met the criteria and successfully logged in. Logged out and back in using Firefox. Success! Fast forward to today. Login with Firefox - failed, switched to Edge - success, switched to Chrome - success, switched back to Firefox - success. Internet explorer isn't installed on my Windows 10 so I couldn't try that.

This reminds me of long ago dealing with a large sheet fed printer that we used to make large maps. Before printing we always did a magic dance in order for it to print correctly. We have no idea what sequence led to a successful print but a magic dance in front of the printer sure was helpful.

Now I have to try and resurrect my wife's login.