Did humanity ever make good Gas cans

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
queso

Re: Did humanity ever make good Gas cans

Post by queso » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:18 am

CurlyDave wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:04 am
fire5soon wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:33 am
I do just fine with cheap cans but the pour spouts are horrible due to law changes several years ago. I buy replacement pour spouts on Amazon pretty cheaply and have been satisfied.
+1

Just get a new spout that is nothing more than a spout -- no valves, siphons, vapor recovery or other stuff in it. A flame arrestor is OK.

Now to really drive the safety police batty -- also take the new empty can and drill a 1/8" hole in a place that will be above the liquid level when pouring to let air in. Plug it with a golf tee when not pouring gas.
I bought some cheap "water can" spouts on Amazon that included the regular ole' spout plus the vent/plug thing. I think they were a few dollars a piece and then you just drill a hole up high on the can for the vent/plug. They are yellow and look suspiciously like they are made for gas cans which is what most of the reviewers are using them for since they render your gas cans non-CARB compliant.

Blueskies123

Post by Blueskies123 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:44 am

Actually, everything on Amazon is around $12 each. Do you have a link to the ones that are a few dollars?

Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:01 am

Blueskies123 wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:44 am
Actually, everything on Amazon is around $12 each. Do you have a link to the ones that are a few dollars?
You may just have fallen victim to Amazon's dynamic pricing.

As I understand it, Amazon studies your individual browsing and shopping behaviour, and can adjust prices accordingly. I do not know if it does this in real time, but I believe I have read press articles confirming that it can do that.

ZapRowsdower

Post by ZapRowsdower » Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:57 am

Another vote for No Spill. My 5 gallon container went 8 or 9 years before I had to replace the top at a cost of about 12 bucks. I have the smaller 1.25 gallon No Spill now as well with the small extension hose. Easy to use and they don't make a mess, even has that apple like push button to let out the gas. To be fair I haven't tried any of the metal ones suggested above, but once I went to the No Spill jugs I never felt the need to upgrade.

Rotarman

Post by Rotarman » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:25 am

See if you can find an old vintage metal can with a spring lid. My father has one of these and it is fantastic. You can fill the mower or whatever to the very brim with control. The mouth is really large so you get nice, fast laminar flow.

I also can't stand the gas-splosion when you actuate the nozzle of really full new gas cans.

dekecarver

Post by dekecarver » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:57 am

Yes, an empty re-purposed plastic one gallon milk jug.

strafe

Post by strafe » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:22 am

CurlyDave wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:04 am
fire5soon wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:33 am
I do just fine with cheap cans but the pour spouts are horrible due to law changes several years ago. I buy replacement pour spouts on Amazon pretty cheaply and have been satisfied.
+1

Just get a new spout that is nothing more than a spout -- no valves, siphons, vapor recovery or other stuff in it. A flame arrestor is OK.

Now to really drive the safety police batty -- also take the new empty can and drill a 1/8" hole in a place that will be above the liquid level when pouring to let air in. Plug it with a golf tee when not pouring gas.
With just one extra word, you missed an opportunity to drive the safety police even more batty.

Another option, not mentioned yet, is to head to the antique store. I have not heard any complaints about gas cans made in the mid to late 1800s.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:31 am

F150HD wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:08 pm
I hate the new EPA spouts etc. I bought a 5 gallon one for lawnmower, royal PITA. I'm not so sure its saving the world as they expect.
If by "saving the world", you mean "spilling fuel all over the place", then mission accomplished. :) When I pour 5 gallons of fuel into my generator, probably 4.2 makes it into the tank. With the old-school accordion spout I would spill three drops as the nozzle flexed back out when I was done.

oldcomputerguy
Location: In the middle of five acres of woods in East Tennessee

Post by oldcomputerguy » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:43 am

I've had this one from Home Depot for the last couple of years, and I find it works well for me. It's steel, has a spring-loaded sealing cap that is actuated by a nice, large grip handle, plus an attached plastic filling funnel that is easily detached for refills. It's a bit on the expensive side ($50+), but so far it's held up very well and seems to work with a minimum of fuss and spills.
"I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people; and if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you." (Aaron Sorkin)

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:00 am

Where do you live? The California-spec cans are horrible. The laws are intended only for virtue-signaling and actually result in more fuel spilled than traditional cans.

If you live in a Free State, get something like this:

(They sell compatible steel spouts at the same website.)

https://deutscheoptik.com/20-Liter-Jerr ... -FOUR.html

criticalmass

Post by criticalmass » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:22 am

dekecarver wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:57 am
Except gasoline and its fumes can quickly degrade the milk jug plastic and it isn't protected against static build up.
There are safer/better ways to save a few dollars.

criticalmass

Post by criticalmass » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:30 am

ctuser1 wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:15 am
I buy the cheap 2 Gallon Gas Cans from Walmart!! I've also tried one from Autozone one time. It was as cheaply constructed as the Walmart ones, although with a much higher list price. I had an item return credit burning a hole in my wallet - so splurged on this overpriced crap.

All of them are cheap china-made plastic crap, hard to use, and invariably start leaking from year 2.

This seems like an item that should be easy to build to last. But all I have had so far is frustration!!

Do any of you know of a gas can (as economical as possible) that can keep filling my mower, blower etc for years?

My priorities are :
1. Value i.e. I'm fine paying $30 for something that will last 30 years over a $5 crap that breaks in year 2.
2. Ease of use. I would love to have a push button easy to use one (i.e. the "apple" of gas cans), but can compromise on this for #1, e.g. if there is a time-tested, sturdy design that is not very user friendly.
3. I hate gas leaking on my hands and shoes and everything.
I really like the Blitz made in the USA gas cans, which worked very well and poured easily. Unfortunately you can't buy them anymore. The company went out of business. They finally through in the towel after many lawsuits.

Why were they sued? Because fools kept pouring gasoline onto lit fires (e.g. Camp fires or trash fires) from the cans, and (surprise) this causes the flame to follow the gasoline stream back to the idiot holding the can full of gasoline and gas vapor.

More warnings and prohibitions against using the gas cans to pour gasoline on lit fires didn't help. So now the company is gone forever. The tort attorneys were upset their target went out of business.

iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:52 pm

sunny_socal wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:00 am
Where do you live? The California-spec cans are horrible. The laws are intended only for virtue-signaling and actually result in more fuel spilled than traditional cans.

The emissions limits are not California specific. It applies to the whole US since 2009:
EPA Portable Fuel Container Regulation

Those jerry cans are available because they're marketed specifically as not for fuel use. The cans covered by the regulation are defined as follows:
40 CFR §59.680 wrote:Portable fuel container means any reusable container designed and marketed (or otherwise intended) for use by consumers for receiving, transporting, storing, and dispensing gasoline, diesel fuel, or kerosene. For the purpose of this subpart, all utility jugs that are red, yellow or blue in color are deemed to be portable fuel containers, regardless of how they are labeled or marketed.
Note that the EPA regulation covers the manufacture, import, or wholesale of portable fuel containers. Your use of it is not regulated by the EPA.

Your use of it for transporting fuel (but not for storing, as far as I know), however, is regulated by the DOT. Occupational use is also regulated by OSHA, who refers employers back to the DOT.

I'm unsure how the blue part works, since blue is a standard color for water containers.

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:16 pm

lazydavid wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:31 am
F150HD wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:08 pm
I hate the new EPA spouts etc. I bought a 5 gallon one for lawnmower, royal PITA. I'm not so sure its saving the world as they expect.
If by "saving the world", you mean "spilling fuel all over the place", then mission accomplished. :) When I pour 5 gallons of fuel into my generator, probably 4.2 makes it into the tank. With the old-school accordion spout I would spill three drops as the nozzle flexed back out when I was done.
+1 never had any issue w/ any can before this new EPA spout. It def makes one spill fuel. I now remove it and pour into a funnel to fill mower. Thankfully the gas can has a handle on top for carrying and one on the back side to hold when pouring.

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:45 am

iamlucky13 wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:52 pm
sunny_socal wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:00 am

The emissions limits are not California specific. It applies to the whole US since 2009:
EPA Portable Fuel Container Regulation

<snip>
You're correct. But the feds copied CARB:
https://bordercenter.org/portablefuel.php
The new EPA regulations are based on requirements started in California by the California Air Resources Board (CARB) in 2000 and updated in 2007. Since 2000, some individual states have been following suit, but the new EPA regulations bring all states in line and since January 1, 2009 all new PFCs manufactured or imported and sold in the United States must be compliant.
I don't care what color the can is. The "jerry cans" were designed for fuel and have been around.

Good enough for Rommel, good enough for me.

History:
https://www.grownups.co.nz/interests/te ... jerry-can/

queso

Post by queso » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:30 am

Blueskies123 wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:44 am
These look similar to the ones I have and are $9.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CY ... UTF8&psc=1

Socrates

just curious - how do you fill them up?

Post by Socrates » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:30 pm

in California with that crazy gas nozzle. I have a small can for my lawn mower, but can never get close to filling it up due to the nozzle. :annoyed
“Don't waste your time looking back. You're not going that way.” ― Ragnar Lothbrok.

head gamez

Post by head gamez » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:45 pm

I have had one of these from our local mower shop for a few years now. Very happy with it. Have been meaning to pick up another for Diesel (tractor) and a smaller one for weedeater / leaf blower, but haven't gotten around to it.

https://www.justrite.com/7250130-type-i ... n-red.html

Blueskies123

Post by Blueskies123 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:31 pm

dekecarver wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:57 am
Maybe you are kidding but this is such a bad idea if you are serious.
https://www.quora.com/Why-cant-you-put- ... n-milk-jug

longleaf

Post by longleaf » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:58 pm

I have two applications for fuel cans.

The first one is for a small single-family residential property. I purchased a cheap, standard one-gallon gas can from Home Depot for use in a push mower. The entire nozzle/cap/crap mechanism all unscrews in one piece. I use this as the cap only, and have a funnel to pour fuel into. This works fine for small quantities poured as often as every other week.

For a commercial application, I have three 5 gallon and one 2 gallon metal Eagle cans for various fuels. I use the same funnel method.

Unfortunately, some federal law was passed recently which prohibited vents on new fuel cans. I love the Eagle cans because they pour effectively without a vent.
Frugality, indexing, time.

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:08 pm

longleaf wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:58 pm
... Unfortunately, some federal law was passed recently which prohibited vents on new fuel cans. I love the Eagle cans because they pour effectively without a vent.
Wait until they come up with a law requiring drip collectors on your funnels or outlaw them entirely. :oops:
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.