Some Computer Science Career Advise?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
carolinaman

Re: Some Computer Science Career Advise?

Post by carolinaman » Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:11 pm

"Holding a gun to their head" is how your company will perceive this, regardless of how it is presented. I have done this and had it done to me numerous times as a manager and director. I can only think of two instances where the person stayed more than a year or so. My recommendation is to either take this offer or continue looking for a better position. If you take your company's counteroffer (which should be now, not some future promise), then consider it short term and keep looking for another position.

$275k at your level and experience is a crazy high salary. You must have some unique skills to demand that. There are not going to be many jobs in the market better than that.

ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico » Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:08 pm

I hate it when employers are stingy on promotions. Go for the new job!

And congrats on the new opportunity! That's quite amazing for a MCOL. Getting any kind of equity outside of a HCOL area seems very rare.

Topic Author
bouncyboglehead

Post by bouncyboglehead » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:47 pm

Current megacorp just came back with a counteroffer of promotion I'd been asking for + $14k to go with that promotion. So, they would move my base up to $163k. I'm leaning towards staying because stock at the new place seems a bit harder to get than here. They keep saying that new megacorp is more cash-based than equity-based, which makes me scared that the more than $100k in stock I'm used to getting would not continue long-term.

Current situation:
* Live five minutes from work.
* Respected a lot technically, but maybe not so much from an EQ perspective.
* $163k base + $100k stock / year + $10k bonus + $10k or so ESPP.
* Mostly enjoying new work that I'm doing on new product that I started.

New situation:
* Live an hour away from work (on the train).
* Blank slate coming in.
* $175k base + $250k stock / 3 years (one-time) + $35k bonus.
* Would probably enjoy work quite a bit because it would be new.

Both options seem great to me, but it might be easier to stay and ride it out here a bit more.

Agent007

Post by Agent007 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:50 pm

bouncyboglehead wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:47 pm
Current megacorp just came back with a counteroffer of promotion I'd been asking for + $14k to go with that promotion. So, they would move my base up to $163k. I'm leaning towards staying because stock at the new place seems a bit harder to get than here. They keep saying that new megacorp is more cash-based than equity-based, which makes me scared that the more than $100k in stock I'm used to getting would not continue long-term.

Current situation:

New situation:
* Blank slate coming in.

Both options seem great to me, but it might be easier to stay and ride it out here a bit more.
9 years in the same place is a lot. You managed to interview with one place and got a peek that you might not be getting market rate. Take the counteroffer and continue to interview to see if you can get an even better offer.

Topic Author
bouncyboglehead

Post by bouncyboglehead » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:12 pm

Agent007 wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:50 pm
9 years in the same place is a lot. You managed to interview with one place and got a peek that you might not be getting market rate. Take the counteroffer and continue to interview to see if you can get an even better offer.
Oh geez. For my own sanity, I need some stability. Once I make a decision, I want to stick with it for at least 3-5 years unless something unexpected or bad happens.

gougou

Post by gougou » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:16 pm

bouncyboglehead wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:47 pm

Current situation:

New situation:
* Blank slate coming in.

That new offer is not much better than your current pay. You should take your current company's offer and keep interviewing at other places, or consider this new offer only if it is improved significantly. Staff level engineers can get $350K to $450K in the Bay Area. Maybe you should just ask for $350K from this new company.

And don't believe the words from a director or a recruiter. You had to show a competing offer before they approved your well-deserved promotion. It shows that you'll have very little upside at your current company.

NoFred

Post by NoFred » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:27 am

Congrats on getting the promotion. Time to stay.
-NoFred