IPhone 6 - showing some age

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
mtwhmemn

Re: IPhone 6 - showing some age

Post by mtwhmemn » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:56 am

onourway wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:20 am
And I just had coffee with my mother who only this week replaced her iPhone 6 with an iPhone 8 and her only comment was that it feels like the same phone...
That is a good point. The 8 does "feel" like the 6 as it is very nearly the exact same size, not too big and not too small. Not uncomfortable in your pocket like so many of the larger new "phablets", but big enough for older eyes like mine.

(I know that isn't what you were getting at by your comment, but I'll take the high road and just say again the 8 is a big advancement in many ways compared to the old 6 which was introduced in 2014, an eternity ago when it comes to mobile phone design.)

Glockenspiel

Post by Glockenspiel » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:06 am

When I had my iPhone 6 battery replaced, it was ALMOST like a brand new phone again. I only upgraded because I got a great deal on an iPhone XR which has a much better camera than the iPhone 6. If you like your phone, just replace the battery for much cheaper than a new phone.

Of course they’re going to recommend that you spend another $800-$1000 for a new phone.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:52 am

Barefootgirl wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:13 am
I have an iPhone 6 purchased in December 2015 that I have become very accustomed to and it has never given me any problems. It serves me well vs. the other way around.

I recently noted the battery draining quite a bit faster than it used to, even with all the usual tips to keep it stronger.

Are there other options here for replacement of the battery? THANKS
My iPhone 6s battery was replaced last year. Worked great for about six months and now it too depletes much faster than when it is new though it is slightly better than before I had it replaced. I think it is a change in the IOS and the way the phone works that is causing it and not so much the phone. One thing that helps me is to close each app after using before opening up a new one. By closing, I mean you have to double click the home button and then swipe up. If I have multiple apps open in the background, it drains the battery a lot faster.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:54 am

rai wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:23 am
Sometimes it’ll be 70% and the next minute it’ll be 20% and sometime I’ll go to charge it or turn it off and the battery will say 50% when a minute ago that was like 11% in the red.
I periodically have this problem but usually with certain apps. If I notice the battery level going down fast, I close the app by double clicking the home button and then swiping up on the app to close it. I then open the app again and usually things work fine. If you hard reboot your phone, the battery life will go back to correct value after this happens.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:56 am

GrowthSeeker wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:47 am
Other problem my iPhone 6 has is charging port makes poor contact with charging plug. Helps somewhat (but does not cure) to clean out the charging port, but keeping the plug plugged in is always precarious - I probably need a new charging port too. Or maybe I'm not capable of getting it clean enough.
I have found using a plastic dental pick really works well for cleaning out the charging port of lint. They usually come with a pick on one end and a bit of floss on the other. I just probe around in the port corners with the plastic pick end and pull out the packs of lint and everything goes back to normal for awhile.

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:12 am

I replaced the batteries in both my kids iPhone 6's (it was only $29 last year - understand $49 now) making them very happy. Apple dropped the price to only $29 last year because they new they had some issues with some of the batteries not holding up - too bad they didn't continue that special price.
I'm not sure I would trust BestBuy or even the in-phone diagnostic to tell you that your 4-year old battery doesn't need replacing. If you are happy with all other aspects of the phone other than battery life - replace the battery (at an Apple store if you have one near you).

If you do NOT have an apple store near you - you might be able to ship it to them for battery service (go to Apple.com and check).
Edit Add: Looks like you would be without the phone for a week if you ship it:
https://support.apple.com/iphone/repair/battery-power

Living Free

Post by Living Free » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:46 am

I did an iphone 6 battery replacement about a month ago. Bought my iphone 6 in 2015 and it was having issues with draining quickly overall and draining abruptly in large increments unpredictably. I brought it to the apple store and they made some adjustments but that didn't solve the issue. The phone indicated battery was 100% but I replaced anyway and my phone battery now lasts considerably longer and drains predictably. It was $49.99.

So, in summary, price was $49.99 not $99, and even if they state (and the iphone states) the battery is ok, you should consider changing the battery if you are having issues similar to mine.

dodgy55

Post by dodgy55 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:08 am

I also have an Iphone 6 which has a battery issue. Took it to a phone repair shop in a strip mall. His test confirmed the battery had degraded substantialy. He would replace the battery for $75 and it would take only 20 minutes. Only problem was that the waterproof feature of the phone would be compromised. Even though I do not go near the water with my Iphone, I could not pull the trigger and have him replace the battery. So I just re-charge my phone every other day or so. This inconvenience is worth keeping my Iphone in original condition for a few more years.
Fond memories are the best investment

cusetownusa

Post by cusetownusa » Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:21 pm

dodgy55 wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:08 am
I also have an Iphone 6 which has a battery issue. Took it to a phone repair shop in a strip mall. His test confirmed the battery had degraded substantialy. He would replace the battery for $75 and it would take only 20 minutes. Only problem was that the waterproof feature of the phone would be compromised. Even though I do not go near the water with my Iphone, I could not pull the trigger and have him replace the battery. So I just re-charge my phone every other day or so. This inconvenience is worth keeping my Iphone in original condition for a few more years.
interesting, I didn't think the iphone 6 was waterproof. I have the 6s and was pretty sure it isn't.

Quirkz

Post by Quirkz » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:08 pm

GrowthSeeker wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:39 am
Thanks for the Q-tip tip; I've read lots of cleaning tips and seen youtube videos, including one about replacing with a new charging port. I'm reluctant to use any solvents. A regular Q-tip is way too large to fit. I have seen, but have not tried, a thin toothpick with a wisp of cotton wrapped around it, essentially a micro-Q-tip. I have fashioned my own Q-tip-like instruments out of paper, and this works somewhat.
Yeah, I wouldn't use solvent or Q-tip (might introduce more fiber than it removes). I've had decent luck with a toothpick, but I have the best luck taking a tiny triangle of paper, folding it up a couple of times so that it's like a mini paper airplane shape, and using that. It's firm enough to dislodge lint, but soft enough not to break anything. It's been my go-to method for years.

Sometimes the issue can be the USB cord or plug, too. I bought a cheapo one for the house (have the good charger at the office) and after a year or so it just stopped charging or keeping the connection. A new charging cord fixed slow/erratic charging for a while.

onourway

Post by onourway » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:12 pm

DaftInvestor wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:12 am
I replaced the batteries in both my kids iPhone 6's (it was only $29 last year - understand $49 now) making them very happy. Apple dropped the price to only $29 last year because they new they had some issues with some of the batteries not holding up - too bad they didn't continue that special price.
I'm not sure I would trust BestBuy or even the in-phone diagnostic to tell you that your 4-year old battery doesn't need replacing. If you are happy with all other aspects of the phone other than battery life - replace the battery (at an Apple store if you have one near you).

If you do NOT have an apple store near you - you might be able to ship it to them for battery service (go to Apple.com and check).
Best Buy is an Apple Authorized Service Center. They use Apple diagnostic tools and Apple provided machinery which automates most of the process. It's not just done by a minimum-wage employee with heat pads and pry sticks.

greg24

Post by greg24 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:15 pm

mtwhmemn wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:16 am
The 6 was good enough and I stuck with it for almost 4 years replacing the battery twice. It wasn't a good thing to do. I replaced it with an 8 and realized how much speed and technology I was missing. I'm talking about just basic utility and functionality the 8 was much, much better to use saving a lot of time for basic functions.
What technology and functions do you use on the 8 that wasn't available for the 6?

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:26 pm

onourway wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:12 pm
DaftInvestor wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:12 am

Best Buy is an Apple Authorized Service Center. They use Apple diagnostic tools and Apple provided machinery which automates most of the process. It's not just done by a minimum-wage employee with heat pads and pry sticks.
Understood. That doesn't mean I would trust them and doesn't mean they don't suck at what they do. Sounds like they failed to help the OP.
Sounds like the OP had a bad experience - ran a diag - diag said battery was fine. OP said battery is being drained. Sounds like the tech didn't check to see if there was an App running draining the battery or do further work (actually refusing to replace the battery - really??!!!). Quickly switched to trying to sell a replacement device (perhaps they are commissioned on doing so). That was NOT my experience at Apple (they will actually help you - see if you have bad-apps always running, replace your battery if you request it - etc.).
The fact they pay Apple for a training video and some equipment does not make for the same experience as at an Apple store.
I'm actually NOT a big fan of Apple in general (don't believe in paying double price for equal performance) but if you are invested in Apple - you might as well take advantage of the Apple experience (rather than trying your luck at Best Buy).

If Best Buy was any good - this thread would not have been created.
Last edited by DaftInvestor on Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.

mtwhmemn

Post by mtwhmemn » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:27 pm

greg24 wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:15 pm
mtwhmemn wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:16 am
The 6 was good enough and I stuck with it for almost 4 years replacing the battery twice. It wasn't a good thing to do. I replaced it with an 8 and realized how much speed and technology I was missing. I'm talking about just basic utility and functionality the 8 was much, much better to use saving a lot of time for basic functions.
What technology and functions do you use on the 8 that wasn't available for the 6?
Tech wise the 8 is much more responsive/faster. Functionally, the front camera and rear camera are both vastly improved. Bluetooth works vastly better on the 8. Losing the old headphone jack was a slight adjustment, but with much better bluetooth I haven't missed the jack. My 8 has 4X the storage than my 6 had so I can load all the apps I want without having to delete any apps I don't use much. I'm sure there are other things I'm not thinking of...battery life is like a new phone with an OEM battery instead of the crap you get at the strip center fix it shops. And the biggest thing is even it were just marginally better which isn't even the case, Apple reportedly won’t roll out iOS 13 to iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone SE! The 6 is 2014 tech and in the mobile phone world that is just not acceptable for anyone that uses the device for things other than phone calls.

-buzz-

Post by -buzz- » Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:19 pm

Good thread.

Probably time for me to upgrade my phone as well. No way I would pay the price for a new one. I'm probably looking at either an iPhone 8 or XR.

As you might expect, refurbished iPhones from Apple are the top price point. Thoughts on where to get the best deal on a used iPhone?

I have successfully purchased used phones from private sellers off facebook marketplace. Never had a problem, but also never felt really secure about it either. It would be easy to buy a phone with a problem.

marcwd

Post by marcwd » Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:41 pm

mtwhmemn wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:27 pm
And the biggest thing is even it were just marginally better which isn't even the case, Apple reportedly won’t roll out iOS 13 to iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone SE!
No, the iPhone SE processor is the same as that in the 6S and will be compatible with iOS 13.

mtwhmemn

Post by mtwhmemn » Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:45 pm

marcwd wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:41 pm
mtwhmemn wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:27 pm
And the biggest thing is even it were just marginally better which isn't even the case, Apple reportedly won’t roll out iOS 13 to iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone SE!
No, the iPhone SE processor is the same as that in the 6S and will be compatible with iOS 13.
If you say so. The point I was making was the 6 is obsolete.

nesdog

Post by nesdog » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:21 pm

I've got an iPhone 5s with battery issues...mostly drains due to Life360 app. I replaced it early this year at a local shop for under $50.

I'm looking to upgrade to a reconditioned 7. At Amazon, and others (swappa.com) , price runs around 200-245. Not sure I want to go model 8 as I hear it's a bit bulkier. Anyone with an 8 can add their views on this?

No way I'm buying a brand new iPhone at such high prices.
Insert clever comment here...

retire2022

Post by retire2022 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:47 am

All Iphone SE is expected to return in 2020

https://www.theverge.com/2019/9/4/20848 ... -spec-date

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:01 am

I had an iPhone 7. Battery health was down to 85.

I purchased a "Mint" (new in box with all accessories) iPhone XS Max 64gb from Swappa for $749. Sold the 7 for $195 to Gazelle.

Not a bad upgrade for $550. I go 2 days before charging. At the end of day 1 I'm at 75% battery and then about 30-40% at the end of day 2.

$550 is a lot of cash for a phone, but no other device do I have with me all day/every day. I don't even bring my wallet with me many times.

As the new iPhones release, there will be some downward price pressure on the XS/XR/XS Max.
"We are not here to agree with you; we are here to provoke thoughtfulness." Unknown Boglehead

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:03 am

nesdog wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:21 pm
I've got an iPhone 5s with battery issues...mostly drains due to Life360 app. I replaced it early this year at a local shop for under $50.

I'm looking to upgrade to a reconditioned 7. At Amazon, and others (swappa.com) , price runs around 200-245. Not sure I want to go model 8 as I hear it's a bit bulkier. Anyone with an 8 can add their views on this?

No way I'm buying a brand new iPhone at such high prices.
The iPhone 8 is the same size as the iPhone 7. Cases are interchangeable. It is bigger than the 5/5s. But not much.

For some things you might appreciate a bit bigger screen. I would find an 8 if you are going to make the jump. Check Swappa for your carrier.
"We are not here to agree with you; we are here to provoke thoughtfulness." Unknown Boglehead

Luke Duke

Post by Luke Duke » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:17 am

rai wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:23 am
I’m exactly the same mine is a 6 plus.

I brought it to Apple store to check the battery and they said everything is fine there is a diagnostic on the phone says the battery is like 90%

I thought about getting a new battery but the phone is only worth like $99 trade in also not as fast as it could be so I’m thinking to upgrade to an all new phone sometime this year don’t feel like it’s worthwhile to replace the battery because likely it will still be slow and I’d want a new phone anyway.

Sometimes it’ll be 70% and the next minute it’ll be 20% and sometime I’ll go to charge it or turn it off and the battery will say 50% when a minute ago that was like 11% in the red.

If I can hold off until the fall like October it’ll be I think 4 years old.
The exact thing was happening to my 6s. This $20 kit solved my problem.
http://www.amazon.com/uowlbear-Replacem ... 07RMHBD34/

Here's the 6+ version
http://www.amazon.com/uowlbear-Replacem ... 07QSS8XSS/

Luke Duke

Post by Luke Duke » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:20 am

onourway wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:45 pm
I would trust the diagnostics. If they say the battery is fine, changing it isn’t going to improve things.

My wife has a 6s that she would also like to hold on to that had the Apple $29 battery service, shows in diagnostics still having over 90% capacity, yet she still has been complaining about the battery life being really bad again. What really needs to happen is we need to do a factory reset and see where things stand. Neither one of us really feels like going through that rigamarole right now though with everything we have going on.
My diagnostics were fine. A new knockoff battery (see post above) solved my problem.

HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:26 am

22twain wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:37 am
The iPhone 6 will not run iOS 13 which is coming out this fall. It will remain "stuck" at whatever the final update to iOS 12 turns out to be. To run iOS 13 you need at least an iPhone 6S.

This will probably finally push me to replace my iPhone 5S, which I've been dithering about since last fall.
Important point. If you won’t be getting security updates if you’re unable to run iOS 13, consider upgrading to at least a 6S.

davebo

Post by davebo » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:32 am

I have a 6S plus and my battery has always been horrible. I've had it for 3 years and got it replaced about 1.5 years ago. It was fine for about 6 months, but then started slowly degrading. I think the 6 and 6S models have some kind of major issues with batteries. There is a battery health section in settings and mine says 85%, but if I'm using GPS, my battery will drain within the hour. If I'm just using my phone, within a couple hours.

EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:37 am

Kurmudjon wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:36 am
I had a 6+ that was about 4 years old and having no problems. Bought a XR for $750 and now enjoy the improved technology including Face ID which is even better than Touch ID. Think it makes sense to upgrade every 4-5 years even if everything is working well. Technology marches on!
I hate to admit it, but these phones and the updates are designed to start making your phone behave funny. The most common symptoms are slowdowns and weird battery readings. This tends to happen towards year 3 and sometimes can occur in year 4 or 5. Generally once my phone is on year 3, I stop updating it. Updates exacerbate the problems. My goal is usually to keep a phone for 4+ years. I have never made it past year 4.

mindgap

Post by mindgap » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:43 am

I don’t know if it was mentioned before but go to iFixit.com and get a battery replacement kit. (Don’t get the super cheap ones from amazon. The battery is mostly trash.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:44 am

As recommended, turn everything off, especially apps you're not in the middle of using. You likely don't need google maps running when you're in a meeting.

How/when do you charge? Contrary to some of my coworkers who say they only charge when they go to bed, my iPhone is on the charger anytime it possibly can be. At my desk, in the car, at home connected to the computer when I'm using it. My batteries last forever. I still have a 4s that I'd be using if my stupid employer hadn't changed their email, requiring me to upgrade (I bought a used 5s).

Another solution is to buy a small battery backup. This is about the size of a phone and connects to charge your phone when you're not near another way to charge. Way cheaper than even a replacement battery.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

retire2022

Post by retire2022 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:09 am

all on Sept 10, 2019 IOS 13 won't be available earlier to Iphone 6 s

see article:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/zakdoffman ... 54efa663c7

j0nnyg1984

Post by j0nnyg1984 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:31 am

I hope this has already been posted, but make an appointment online and take the device directly to an apple store. They will swap the battery for a cost.

You can check settings / battery / battery health to see the wear and tear on the battery. Anything under 80% and I would strongly consider replacing it.

michaelingp

Post by michaelingp » Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:28 pm

onourway wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:45 pm
I would trust the diagnostics. If they say the battery is fine, changing it isn’t going to improve things.
I agree. My wife had a 6S, and was always complaining about battery life. She took advantage of Apple's $29 battery replacement, even though the phone said the battery was fine. I'm pretty sure the new battery did not help at all.

I suggest buying one of those external battery packs. They're low cost, and you can just slip it in your purse if you carry one. Otherwise, the case with the battery built in makes sense to me.

I'm not sure there's any iPhones (maybe no smart phones at all) that can go the entire day, i.e. 7:00 am to 10:00 pm on one charge with normal use (navigating, email, calendar, etc.). So, when I'm in the car, I put it on the charger. Same as when I'm at home. Turning off the display helps, but makes the phone less useful in my view.

MDfan

Post by MDfan » Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:41 pm

Kurmudjon wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:36 am
I had a 6+ that was about 4 years old and having no problems. Bought a XR for $750 and now enjoy the improved technology including Face ID which is even better than Touch ID. Think it makes sense to upgrade every 4-5 years even if everything is working well. Technology marches on!
I also just upgraded from a 6 to an XR. It's like night and day. My 6 battery was dying every day.

EZ James

Post by EZ James » Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:08 pm

GPS May be running silently in the background. I had that problem due to a navigation app not being properly closed even though I had tapped the exit button. GPS will drain your battery in a hurry.

I would not replace the battery unless the battery health drops to the low eighties percent.

rj49

Post by rj49 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:04 am

I've been using older model iphones for years, but the problem is that the plus size is too large to feel comfortable in my hand, and the smaller size is too small for me to see now and type on comfortably. I upgraded this summer to the iphone X, but instead of new, bought an excellent-condition one through Visible wireless, a Verizon subsidiary, and then simply didn't establish service, but used it on an ATT prepaid plan. It's really a perfect size and weight, amazingly fast, and the face ID is also amazing to use and gets rid of bezels and buttons. I would think that as soon as the new iphone is announced next week, used iphone X will be even cheaper. A good place to look is swappa.com, which requires detailed photos and descriptions, with paypal purchase protection and ratings. Another option for those with comcast is to go for xfinity mobile service, which is $45 for unlimited data and is giving a $250 cash card for those buying new phones (so an iphone XR would be $750 minus $250 cash card).

The iphone 6/6 plus also lacks a newer network frequency band for T-Mobile, so you'll get inferior coverage. If anyone is looking for a serious deal plan for a couple, T-Mobile has an over-55 plan, with two lines for $70 a month, everything included, even Canada/Mexico data coverage (my sister just switched to that plan, after being robbed by all of ATT's price increases and taxes and fees for years).

For those looking to trade in an old phone, I found the company who runs the Apple trade-in program very strict about condition and even refusing phones I sent them, and the credit can only be used for Apple stores. A much better trade-in site I found is decluttr.com, which was much better about accepting phones and paid a decent price (and resells them, another place to look for a newer used phone). I think I also had one old iphone I just took to an ecoATM phone kiosk at the mall and got some cash for it (using a bonus code from retailmenot.com).

Momus

Post by Momus » Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:05 am

Probably another iPhone planned obsolescence. They are pretty shady from time to time, trying to make you buy another device under the disguise of customer experience lmao.

Replace the battery, if it is still slow, dump it to a sucker.
Buy oneplus 7 pro.

Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe » Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:12 am

Barefootgirl wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:13 am
I have an iPhone 6 purchased in December 2015 that I have become very accustomed to and it has never given me any problems. It serves me well vs. the other way around.

I recently noted the battery draining quite a bit faster than it used to, even with all the usual tips to keep it stronger.

I took it to a registered Apple repair place - the Geek Squad at Best Buy.

They ran diagnostics and came back and reported their tool shows no issues with the battery, so I could not pay them to replace it even if I wanted to. This makes no sense to me whatsoever, but whatever.

Their recommendation to me is to simply buy a new phone (hello geniuses, thanks for that).

I'm old school. We believe in repair before shelling out a cool $700-$800 for another phone.

Are there other options here for replacement of the battery? THANKS
Yes, I have the exact same phone as you and I had the exact same issue just two weeks ago. I had my battery replaced at Staples for $39.99. It took 1 hour. The difference is amazing. This was a life safer for me. I highly recommend.

22twain

Post by 22twain » Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:03 am

22twain wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:37 am
The iPhone 6 will not run iOS 13 which is coming out this fall. It will remain "stuck" at whatever the final update to iOS 12 turns out to be. To run iOS 13 you need at least an iPhone 6S.

https://www.techradar.com/news/ios-13-features

This will probably finally push me to replace my iPhone 5S, which I've been dithering about since last fall. I may try to hold out until fall, when the price of the current iPhone XR will probably drop.
For those (if any) who haven't heard yet, Apple's fall iPhone announcement is on Tuesday. If they follow previous years' patterns, they'll reduce prices on old models then. Check their web site. If the XR drops, I'll jump on it.

Or maybe they'll use the new tariffs as an excuse to increase prices for the new models and leave the old ones as they are? :annoyed
My investing princiPLEs do not include absolutely preserving princiPAL.

BogleBoogie

Post by BogleBoogie » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:42 am

I just upgraded my 5SE iPhone yesterday by taking my wife's phone (iPhone 7?). She really wanted to upgrade to the new 10. I could careless. I liked my 5 but figured it would be foolish to not utilize her newer phone.

If I were in your position, I would pay the $99 to get the new apple battery if you aren't wanting any of the newest features.

22twain

Post by 22twain » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:59 pm

22twain wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:03 am
Apple's fall iPhone announcement is on Tuesday. If they follow previous years' patterns, they'll reduce prices on old models then. Check their web site. If the XR drops, I'll jump on it.
XR: was $750, now $600
8: was $600, now $450
8 Plus: was $???, now $550 (forgot to write that one down yesterday)
XS and 7: gone

New models available 9/20:
11: $700
11 Pro: $1000
11 Pro Max: $1100

Now I'm waffling between getting the XR in the next couple of days, or waiting a bit longer, paying another $100 (but still less than I would have paid for the XR yesterday), and getting the 11. The new camera looks to be a significant upgrade.
My investing princiPLEs do not include absolutely preserving princiPAL.

MotoTrojan

Post by MotoTrojan » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:07 pm

22twain wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:59 pm
22twain wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:03 am
Apple's fall iPhone announcement is on Tuesday. If they follow previous years' patterns, they'll reduce prices on old models then. Check their web site. If the XR drops, I'll jump on it.
XR: was $750, now $600
8: was $600, now $450
8 Plus: was $???, now $550 (forgot to write that one down yesterday)
XS and 7: gone

New models available 9/20:
11: $700
11 Pro: $1000
11 Pro Max: $1100

Now I'm waffling between getting the XR in the next couple of days, or waiting a bit longer, paying another $100 (but still less than I would have paid for the XR yesterday), and getting the 11. The new camera looks to be a significant upgrade.
Wow! I was going to pick-up a 7 after the announcement. I imagine some places must still have them and must deeply discount?

I suppose the 8 at $450 is a good deal but that XR with its battery-life/tech is tempting...

MortgageOnBlack

Post by MortgageOnBlack » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:37 pm

This December, it will be 5 years for me with the same iPhone 6. It still works great for my needs and I don’t have any plans to upgrade to the iPhone 11 that is due out in a couple weeks. Unfortunately, per Apple, my iPhone 6 will no longer receive future software updates which provide more feature/security. Are there any other Bogleheads who push their iPhones past Apple’s software support range? Any concerns about being exposed due to lack of security updates? I do quite a bit of surfing/banking on my phone and this might be a good reason to update; it’s just unfortunate that I have to abandon a still functioning device.

retire2022

Post by retire2022 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:29 pm

MortgageOnBlack wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:37 pm
This December, it will be 5 years for me with the same iPhone 6. It still works great for my needs and I don’t have any plans to upgrade to the iPhone 11 that is due out in a couple weeks. Unfortunately, per Apple, my iPhone 6 will no longer receive future software updates which provide more feature/security. Are there any other Bogleheads who push their iPhones past Apple’s software support range? Any concerns about being exposed due to lack of security updates? I do quite a bit of surfing/banking on my phone and this might be a good reason to update; it’s just unfortunate that I have to abandon a still functioning device.
Mortgageonblack

I've gone to apple.com and see that the XR, $599 ( https://www.apple.com/iphone-xr/specs/ ) have dropped but no other non-Apple dealer have reduced their prices on XR.

Walmart is offering the Iphone6S for $149 which will continue to be updated.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Straight-Tal ... /863424218

I'm in the same boat as you, will consider these choices

hdas

Post by hdas » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:45 am

Invest4lt wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:23 am
Another option could be to explore the trade in value. I recently bought a new iPhone and the Apple store gave me 250 for my 6 S Plus.
Now they offer max $120 for same phone. Cheers :greedy
"whenever there is a randomized way of doing something, then there is a nonrandomized way that delivers better performance but requires more thought" ET Jaynes

CyclingDuo

Post by CyclingDuo » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:24 am

MortgageOnBlack wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:37 pm
You can now get $60 trade in for your old 6 (was $100 last week before the new models were introduced). Due to the software update not being supported on models below 6s/SE - it's a good time to consider an upgrade. Apps and app developers will be upgrading their apps to work on the new iOS 13 which could mean some of your favorite apps will eventually not be supported. Again - it's a good time to upgrade.
"Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time." ~ Steven Wright